Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 2:15:19 AM EDT
someone drives in the left lane AKA "passing lane" and refuses to move right with the cruise control locked at the legal speed limit, therefore creating a potentially hazardous situation, especially when faster moving vehicles are unable to pass. In my part of NY that would be 55 mph.
What do you do when approaching such a vehicle?
[pissed]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Pass on the right side.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pass on the right side.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass.
View Quote

Remember I stated "especially when faster moving vehicles are unable to pass"
That would mean passing on the right is not an option...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Pull out your AR and let it rip full auto!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I simply daydream that I have quad fifties mounted on the front of the car and the triggers are on the steering wheel and unlimited amounts of ammo.
[heavy][heavy][heavy][heavy]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I slow down and ride just close enough to their rear bumper that they know I want to get by. However I try to stay far enough back that it is not very dangerous. This will usually remedy the situation as soon as they can get back over into the slow lane.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If they are going the speed limit, then how is it you have to pass? I'd wager the one creating the hazard is not the person going the legal speed limit, but rather the person speeding.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they are going the speed limit, then how is it you have to pass? I'd wager the one creating the hazard is not the person going the legal speed limit, but rather the person speeding.
View Quote

So that was YOU in the left lane huh???[;)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]
So that was YOU in the left lane huh???
View Quote
If you are referring to a guy who couldn't see over the wheel, had the blinker on a permanent left turn, and had a "I brake for Social Security Checks" bumper sticker, then yes, that was me![sleep]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
They get pulled-over and receive a traffic infraction here in WA. Not passing? Then get the hell out of the #1 lane.
[pissed]
CS
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I just turn on my overhead lights and wail on my siren.

Who here remembers that you actally could play "revele" in the hi-low mode on the old Federal Interceptors and PA200's ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let me try to enlighten you. If the speed limit is 45 and the speed of the flow of traffic is 55 then the person doing 45, the
posted speed limit, is the hazard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I just gently nudge them with my truck (87 Ford F-150) if that don't work, I just push them off the side of the road and wave good-bye. [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I solved this problem by installing a truck airhorn. One continious blast until they move over. That coupled with a massive bull bar would
serve you well.
If someone cuts you off, hit them. Better to nail the bastard than to hit some innocent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Git yourself a big rusty truck and mount push bars on bumper.  People will move out of your way real quick.  I used to have a problem commuting in my little 2 seater.  No problem in my beater jungle truck with a lift kit.  You can't get 'em loose at 55, so give 'em a NASCAR love tap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The only place I've ever been where the passing lane was used as it should was California.  They know how to drive there.  Here, it's de riguer for some jackhole in the left lane to match speed with the guy next to him in the right lane, making a rolling roadblock for anyone who wants to go faster.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally posted by Avtomat

If they are going the speed limit, then how is it you have to pass? I'd wager the one creating the hazard is not the person going the legal speed limit, but rather the person speeding
View Quote

The left lane is for passing and it's not your job to enforce the speed limit.  Besides, it is just rude to ride along in the left lane and to hell with everybody else.   The hazard is the person obstructing the flow of the majority of traffic.  This 'the speeders are the hazard' is just more brainwashed sheeple thinking.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only place I've ever been where the passing lane was used as it should was California.  
View Quote

Cause if they don't then some gangbanger in a blue bandana will blast them with a tec9.

Usually I will just get behind the person close enough that they know that I want to pass and I wait for them to get out of the way. If they just stay in the way and will not move I just get a little closer, but never closer than 12-18 inches. They usually get the idea and move the hell out of the way.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top