Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2001 11:16:26 AM EDT
[url]www.knoxnews.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=MAUSER-06-13-01&cat=AN
[/url]
Father of Columbine victim arrested at NRA headquarters

By M.E. SPRENGELMEYER
Scripps Howard News Service
June 13, 2001

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. - The father of slain Columbine High School student Daniel Mauser was arrested outside National Rifle Association headquarters Wednesday after
refusing to end his crusade for a personal response from NRA President Charlton Heston.

Tom Mauser, who has become a nationally-known gun control advocate, marched with a large photograph of his son and then sat in a busy driveway, refusing to leave even
after Fairfax County police said he would be arrested for trespassing.

"I've had worse things happen in my life, much worse things," Mauser told the officers just before he was handcuffed and put into a patrol car.

He was alluding to the April 20, 1999, murder of his son and 12 other victims in the Columbine massacre.

Tom Mauser said he knows who killed his son: the two teen gunmen who took their own lives at the end of the rampage. But he also blames the NRA for blocking laws that
he says would keep guns out of the hands of children and criminals.

In May 1999 he wrote a letter to Heston asking for an explanation of why the NRA opposes a ban on assault weapons and other gun control measures. Never getting a
response, he went to the NRA's sprawling complex in suburban Washington, D.C., carrying a placard asking "Why won't Heston respond to me?"

"One thing I have learned from this grieving process is it's important to get out the emotions," Mauser said after picketing on a public sidewalk outside the facility for 40
minutes.

When no one from the NRA came to talk with him, he became impatient, made a passing reference to the activist Gandhi, and moved to the driveway. He sat holding the
sign over his head as a few cars dodged him like he was a human traffic cone. He later stood and moved even further down the driveway under a carport with NRA security
and curious employees looking on.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)

Police arrived a short time later and talked to him for several minutes. Mauser then said he had no choice but to be arrested.

"Nobody likes to go to jail, but in the course of events, people have to stand up for principles," Mauser told officers. "Daniel would say it's OK."

Mauser was arrested on misdemeanor trespass charges and spent about an hour in a jail holding cell with about 18 other accused criminals. He posted $250 bond and
was released. He must return Aug. 22 for a court appearance.

Mauser later said it was ironic that on the drive to jail, a police officer punched his name into the squad car's computer for an instant background check - the same kind of
check he wants for all gun purchasers.

NRA spokesman Bill Powers said Heston was away on family business, and he did not know if there would be a response to Mauser's 1999 letter.

"I have respect for him as far as having gone through a horrible ordeal. Mr. Heston has respect for that," Powers said.

NRA security made the complaint that led to Mauser's arrest, but Powers said it's not up to the NRA on whether to continue with charges.

"As far as we're concerned, it's a matter for police," Powers said.

"We certainly support his right to express himself," Powers added.

Mauser is a strong proponent of closing a loophole in the so-called Brady Bill that allows gun purchasers to buy weapons without a background check if they go through
unlicensed dealers at gun shows.

Mauser says he was inspired by a conversation with his son about that loophole just two weeks before his death.

At one point during his march, Mauser got within a few feet of a window to the headquarters. Curious NRA employees looked out from the other side, and Mauser stood
motionless for a couple minutes, staring. That silent confrontation meant his mission was accomplished, Mauser said.

"I wanted employees to see the face of someone impacted by gun violence."

(Contact SprengelmeyerM(at)shns.com or http://www.shns.com.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if this guy even knows the history of his name.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL Good one! I didn't catch that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
did this moron ever think that if his kid had a gun he might still be alive??????
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Good points gentlemen.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
this guy has no other outlet for his grief than to become a gun grabber? this saddens and sickens me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
So he thinks more firearms laws would have helped his son? You mean in addition to the 20,000 firearms laws already on the books? And exactly what "assault weapon" did they use?
Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the converted.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Prime example of how sheep blame an inanimate object, and ignore the cause of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
He's a retard. I guess the grief got to him and he can't think logically anymore. There is no law or background check that would have prevented the Colombine Massacre. One of their pistols was purchased through the "black market" and one of the shotguns was LEGALLY purchased by a 18 year old girlfriend.

I wonder if this idiot would be tormenting Toyota if his kid was run down and killed by Davis Attias in Santa Barbara or harass Ginsu if his child was one of those children murdered in Japan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
it's sad when people blame a tool and point fingers than look at the system to see where
things went wrong
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Boomer, that is exactly what I was thinking.

What gets me more is they kids got the guns through straw purchases, which are already very illegal.  So, those people did have background checks run on them!!!  Still didn't stop the massacre huh?

No maybe if someone at the school was armed and could have returned fire?   Well, that obviously would not have prevented anything
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:

Mauser later said it was ironic that on the drive to jail, a police officer punched his name into the squad car's computer for an instant background check - the same kind of
check he wants for all gun purchasers.
View Quote

So, it's ironic that all gun owners are not yet treated as criminals?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Some thoughts.  Mr. Mauser's name was run through the database because he has committed a crime. Also, when was the last time you met an unlicensed gun dealer?  One parting thought.  Who paid for this?  I mean, with bail, two round trip tickets, (gotta go to court) hotel, etc this is probably well over 2500$ not counting legal fees.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Mauser says he was inspired by a conversation with his son about that loophole just two weeks before his death.
View Quote

I have serious doubts about this statement!!  It sounds very convenient.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Hoople, I believe that one of the firearms used by Eric or Dillon was the Hi Point 995.  Being that it is a semi-auto and has a pistol grip, I'm sure that makes it an 'assault weapon' to Mauser.  Probably the Tec-9 too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is exactally what I was thinking.  
My friend and I were going to go shooting yesterday to sight in the new scope on his Browning .22lr, but we had other stuff to do.  Too bad, his teeth may have ended up in the bumper of my truck.  "I was driving around to the back parking lot to go to the range and I heard a thump" [;)]

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]

He later stood and moved even further down the driveway under a carport with NRA security
and curious employees looking on.
View Quote

A little too hot out there in the open, huh?  Well, at least he has a little common sense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Mauser is a strong proponent of closing a loophole in the so-called Brady Bill that allows gun purchasers to buy weapons without a background check if they go through
unlicensed dealers at gun shows.
View Quote

I think the guy who wrote this accidently put the words "so-called" in front of "Brady Bill," instead of before "loophole" or "unlicensed dealers" where it would make sense.

I've been around and around with my slick congressman Bart "B.S." Stupak over his constant use of the phony propaganda term "unlicensed dealers." Whenever we see this term used, we need to counter it by explaining how existing federal laws already require all persons "engaging in the business of dealing in firearms" to have FFL's.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, you gotta respect someone who stands so strongly about something he knows nothing about...

Ok, maybe not.  Sounds like he needs a job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ladies and gentlemen, what you read was an example of a very well done bit of propaganda.  Mr. Mauser is a tragic and sympathetic figure up against the evil and heartless National Rifle Association who won't stoop so low as to answer his simple question!  Shame!  Shame upon the cowardly NRA to arrest that poor man!  Of course they have no problem with arresting him - they want to put an Uzi into the hands of every child in Amurrica!  Sara Brady says so!

Mr. Mauser represents the great hope of the anti's - emotionalism.  He, in his grief, [i]cannot[/i] be reached through logic, and he serves the gun-grabbers by remaining in the headlines by making the NRA and all of its members out to be uncaring ogres.

And by reading some of the responses to the thread here, he's not too far off on the "uncaring ogre" part.  Thanks for helping out (sarcasm mode off).

Hey, feel for the guy - he lost a son.  Yes, he's blaming the wrong thing, but the loss is real.  Could you convince him he's wrong?  Not bloody likely, but calling him a moron, commenting on running over him, or suggesting "he needs a job" isn't exactly helpful.  Except, of course, to the other side.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I am sorry for his loss, but would he feel better if his son was hacked to death with a machete?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
"Nobody likes to go to jail, but in the course of events, people have to stand up for principles," Mauser told officers. "Daniel would say it's OK."
View Quote

He may be on the other team, but he is committed to his cause. More so than most NRA members.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
when was the last time you met an unlicensed gun dealer?
View Quote

I've known a few and there is a couple at every Ingham county fair grounds show.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am sorry for his loss, but would he feel better if his son was hacked to death with a machete?
View Quote
                                            Same old business! But who knows how a person would react at the loss of a child!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#26]
That just pisses me off.

Hello, there are already laws to prevent this.  Go picket the cops or the people who bought them illegally.

And that Assault weapon BS, that school is lucky they didn't buy "regular" guns, most are a hell of a lot better then Tec 9s!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#27]
He's doing more for his cause than we are for ours.  If we could all just see past our own self-righteous indignation and find out what it is that the voting public responds to, then maybe we wouldn't be watching our rights erode one at a time while we participate in our "yes, you are so right" mutual admiration society.

Furthermore, that man had the balls to put up or shut up, to get his ass arrested for something he believes in.  It's called civil disobedience, and it's a powerful tool.  Much more powerful that tossing the word "sheeple" around amongst the ass-licking circle-jerk of ignorance that has too long characterized us gun owners as a bunch of retarded idiots.

THEY are winning because it's a cultural war and they are effectively pursuing what they believe to be a worthy cause in a sympathetic fashion that the voters accept.  WE are losing because we're a bunch of shit talking losers with names like killingmachine007 and sniperboy and all kinds of other permutations that chase the voting public away.  Into the arms of people just like Mr. Mauser and Ms. Brady.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#28]
yeah imagine if they had used ar15's and after awhile a .308 from the roof they could held the school off with just a little more training. thoose peopl dont relize how lucky they were. also was the girl friend ever brought on charges for suppling a shotgun?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I never thought that I would hear of someone with that last name trying to ban guns. This is a very misguided individual. He should have founds a better cause than one that takes away my freedom
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm just glad the propane bombs didn't go off.  We would have people boycotting our BBQ's then.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a Demorat with to much time on his hands. What the hell does he want Heston to do for him anyway, give him a job? It's just his way of getting his 15 minutes. I have no respect for someone who acts this way. Next comes, Heston and the NRA turned me into a alcoholic,  I lost my job, got divorced, have no money  and now wants $$$$$$$$$$ even though he would deny it. F**k him. I just lost my father that I had for 55 years, I loved my dad very much, the doctors screwed him over big time, maybe I should get a sign and parade around the hospital like a big asshole.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
also was the girl friend ever brought on charges for suppling a shotgun?
View Quote

there were no laws broken in the purchase/transfer of the shotguns or the hi-point. I'm sure those guns probably did the brunt of the damage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
when was the last time you met an unlicensed gun dealer?
View Quote

I've known a few and there is a couple at every Ingham county fair grounds show.
View Quote

Are you referring to hobbyists or collectors who are NOT dealers, or to criminals? Check the laws.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
also was the girl friend ever brought on charges for suppling a shotgun?
View Quote

there were no laws broken in the purchase/transfer of the shotguns or the hi-point. I'm sure those guns probably did the brunt of the damage.
View Quote

yeah when she gave them to a minor she broke the law also if your intent when purchasing the gun is for another person it is against the law...thats one of the questions on the happy yellow form.....

is imbrglio old enough to own that .38
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

is imbrglio old enough to own that .38
View Quote

It is within my inalienable 2nd amendment rights to own whatever I want.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#36]
"Unlicenced Dealer", is that like an "Undocumented Worker".....?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He's doing more for his cause than we are for ours.  If we could all just see past our own self-righteous indignation and find out what it is that the voting public responds to, then maybe we wouldn't be watching our rights erode one at a time while we participate in our "yes, you are so right" mutual admiration society.

Furthermore, that man had the balls to put up or shut up, to get his ass arrested for something he believes in.  It's called civil disobedience, and it's a powerful tool.  Much more powerful that tossing the word "sheeple" around amongst the ass-licking circle-jerk of ignorance that has too long characterized us gun owners as a bunch of retarded idiots.

THEY are winning because it's a cultural war and they are effectively pursuing what they believe to be a worthy cause in a sympathetic fashion that the voters accept.  WE are losing because we're a bunch of shit talking losers with names like killingmachine007 and sniperboy and all kinds of other permutations that chase the voting public away.  Into the arms of people just like Mr. Mauser and Ms. Brady.
View Quote

I agree 100%. I was over on the BiggerHammer .50 cal. board criticizing some people for wearing and popularizing stupid firearm T-shirts like "If you run, you'll only die tired" or "Vote from the rooftops." It's not at all difficult to imagine what the reaction of old ladies and soccer moms will be upon seeing someone in a shirt like this walking down the street. Especially if election day is close at hand.

We need to be frank and firm about our belief in the Second Amendment, but let's clean out this immature "killing is fun" stuff before we bleed ourselves to death.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are you referring to hobbyists or collectors who are NOT dealers, or to criminals? Check the laws.
View Quote

I'm very familiar with the laws. I'm referring to people who make their living selling used (and often stolen) guns at gunshows without the benefit of an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]
"I wanted employees to see the face of someone impacted by gun violence."

I'm sure they were wondering what Mauser's smoking [):)]

Mauser just wants poster-boy money from HCI
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#40]
The guy is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!
He lost his Son in Colorado. He needs to be asking why in the hell those two punks who killed his son were still in a regular school.
The school administrators and teachers are at fault. Not The NRA. He needs some answers from the folks who allowed those two assholes to attend school and act like they did.
If I was him I would be over at the houses of the parents of the boys who killed his Son. They are also at fault.
If he ignores the problems in his own backyard and wants to attack the NRA he shows the world that he is a Fool and is a pawn of the liberal media and a Bitch of the Gun Grabbers.
Thats my .02 worth and I can't see how anyone can disagree that he needs to take care of the problems in his school before he attacks my Personal Liberties.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I think he should be sueing the girl that gave the firearms to the underage teens and go after the blackmarket trade instead.

Oh there are already laws against these illegal acts anyways. Sorry about the loss but his anger is mis-directed upon the wrong people. Guess he has been brainwashed already to think otherwise..
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I feel bad for him...and pray that he will come to his senses..because someone hurt him he is looking to blame others and things for the perpetrators crime...he ought to be protesting outside the school board..or outside the homes of the killers...or outside police headquarters..he is a tool of the antis...Im sure put up to this by some of them
either that or he enjoys the limelight and fame generated by his sons death...
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]
22 separate gun laws were broken at Columbine (just gun laws, that doesn't count other laws against assault, murder, etc).  Does anyone really think that if we had just one more gun law, the whole thing could have been avoided?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The Fairfax County Police should make him walk through the National Firearms Museum as punishment.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I be this guy gets national attention, while the one guy who lost is daughter and wrote that long statement that guns were not to blame hardly got any press at all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This has been said in a different way before in this thread, but this guy, in an afternoon of street theater has done a great deal to persuade the ill-informed masses of voters of the righteousness of his cause...  In my opinion he has done MORE for his side of the argument in a few hours, than most gun-owners do for THEIR side of the issue in their lifetimes.  It's for sure that he will soon be making the rounds of the news/interview programs, and, under the circumstances, the NRA will be lucky indeed if they (and by extension, US) are not tarred-and-feathered as insensitive, murderous nazis.
View Quote

He will only reach people that agree with him already. The worst thing we can do is hide and appear as thought we are somehow guilty of something. That is what this latest shameful liberal tactic is about.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
yeah when she gave them to a minor she broke the law also if your intent when purchasing the gun is for another person it is against the law...thats one of the questions on the happy yellow form
View Quote

We got into this a while back, and while their may be a law saying you have to be 18 to buy long guns, an unlicensed seller has no obligation to verify (though he did I believe when he sold them to her) but there was no age limit on posession of long-guns so it was legal for her to give the guns to the 17 yr olds since there was no proof that she straw purchased for them. she could have said she bought them for herself and didn't like them and gave them away, even to a 2 year old and it would still be legal. (here in OK I think it's only a parent can legally give a minor posession of any gun??)

though she does need to be drug behind a truck if she knew what they were for and still helped out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm very familiar with the laws. I'm referring to people who make their living selling used (and often stolen) guns at gunshows without the benefit of an FFL.
View Quote

Sorry. I got the impression you thought that this was a legal activity under current laws.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top