Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2004 3:21:20 PM EDT
So, I had been looking for a good, full size flashlight, and finally settled on a 3D Maglight.

This one came in a "package deal" with a 3D Maglite, a 2 AA Maglite, 3D batteries, 2 AA batteries, and mounting brackets.  I HIGHLY recommend this package, as it is an excellent value for the money... $20 at Sam's club.

My #1 criteria for purchasing this light was battery life, followed closely by brightness.  I did NOT want the brightest flashlight, at the expense of battery life... this ruled Surefire out.  Durability was also a main issue as well.

Well, I had been doing some research about LED bulbs and what benefits they provide, and finally decided to "mod" my maglight.  I bought an EVERLED from Kidenergy.com.  I bought the "white" version, not a colored version.

LEDs offer a few benefits to standard incandescent bulbs... brightness, durability, and battery longevity are the main ones.

So, I go to test it out.  The first thing I notice is how WHITE the light is, it doesn't have the yellow tint of the previous Maglite bulb.  Secondly, I notice how INCREDIBALLY bright it is, and how it has a much larger "hot zone" when focused.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommed an LED bulb, and more specifically the EVERLED to anyone who wants to "soup up" their Maglite.

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Nova X5 that I carry in my CCW fannypack. Too bright to look at.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll check it out.  I have one of each of those too and have never really thought they were adequate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged, thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem you are gonna find with D cells is their life span when left unused. If you frequently use the light you are good to go. If you toss it in the truck and grab it 3 months from now... You may be dissapointed. That is one of the main reasons I like lithium powered lights.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The best way to run an everLED is in a 2C cell maglight. However you put 3 CR123 batteries in the light instead of two c's.  everLED runs great on 9 volts.  You can sleeve the c cell tube with anything from rubber hose to cardboard. I made bought derlin plastic sleeves for mine for a couple bucks.

Try an Opelec New Beam and lithium AA's in the mini mag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged for great info.

Thanks, Stainless.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if congress will ever pass a ban on moding flashlights? Hmmm....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The best way to run an everLED is in a 2C cell maglight. However you put 3 CR123 batteries in the light instead of two c's.  everLED runs great on 9 volts.  You can sleeve the c cell tube with anything from rubber hose to cardboard. I made bought derlin plastic sleeves for mine for a couple bucks.

Do you mean you put a sleeve around the CR123 batteries so that they fit?  I'm a little confused by your statement.

This is very interesting...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Now you need to mod your mini-mag.  You've got a few good choices (All made in the USA!):

Opalec New Beam

Terralux ministar 1

Terralux ministar 2

I have the Opalec and the Ministar 2.  I love both.  They each have their plusses and minuses, but if the run-time on the Ministar2 is close to the Opalec, I'd have to give the nod to the Ministar2 because it is quite a bit brighter, and "candle-mode" is much better.  If anyone is interested in more elaborate details, I'll gladly post more.

BTW,  Pocketlights.com has GREAT service.  Not only is the service time blazing fast, my dad ordered from them and they called him on his cell phone within a couple hours to confirm something on his order.

Can't be much longer before the guys show up and tell us we're dumb for souping up maglites, and should buy chinese lights.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Good info! I know someone who would be interested in this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi guys.  I'm back.  What i did NOT know was how much people got into modding flashlights.  I mean, they are just like US and AR's when it comes to flashlights.  There are some SERIOUS modders out there.

I find the following page.... FASCINATING...
darkgear.com/mrbulk/sn2build.htm

And another "home-built" producing 11,000 lux...
darkgear.com/mrbulk/luxeon3.htm

Those are some SERIOUS flashlights.

S
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The LAPD at the behest of Cheif Bratton has already banned this genre of flashlight for the street officer.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Why doesn't Maglite offer led lites. Here is a company that owns the heavy duty flashlite market ignoring LED's. Their head must be up their end cap.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Checkout www.candlepowerforums.com. I have some buddies that hang out there that do amazing mods with Maglites.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yeah.  i was doing some reading about all the ways to mod those.  pretty cool actually.

Quoted:
Now you need to mod your mini-mag. You've got a few good choices (All made in the USA!):

yup.  i need to do some more research, but thanks for the links.

Quoted:
Good info! I know someone who would be interested in this kind of thing.

Well.  I didnt know ANYTHING, till about a week ago.  These sites REALLY helped me.

flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html

www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

The "search" function on candlepowerforums.com was a GREAT tool.  I just put in "Maglite" and then read what everyone had to say.

Fluxion... if your friend wants some info or a place to start, candlepowerforums.com was a good place.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Even though there have been billions of statements just like this one about different products, I think this may be one of the few that proves true:
LEDs are definately the way of the future
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
CandlepowerForums.com  -  More than you can absorb about flashlights.

I've been lurking here for a while.  I've bought 3 flashlights from Elektrolumens.com.

Here is my newest...soon to be released purchase.

I also own two other lights that he no longer sells.  They are awesome products.  Especially the three LED version that runs off of 4 Dcells.  210 Lumens is nearly disabling when applied properly.

Buck
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
marked....................
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why doesn't Maglite offer led lites. Here is a company that owns the heavy duty flashlite market ignoring LED's. Their head must be up their end cap.

M4-AK

Well, I sent them an email asking the same thing.  This was right after I bought an Opalec module for my minimag.  They sent me back some BS response about how they have some stuff in the works, but they are "committed to excellence" and "maglite products take time to develop because of the emphasis on quality."  Talk about dropping the ball.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Bling!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Another tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I also own two other lights that he no longer sells.  They are awesome products.  Especially the three LED version that runs off of 4 Dcells.  210 Lumens is nearly disabling when applied properly.

Buck

I would like to hear about that light, if you don't mind.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I use Nova

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:14:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Well, I sent them an email asking the same thing.  This was right after I bought an Opalec module for my minimag.  They sent me back some BS response about how they have some stuff in the works, but they are "committed to excellence" and "maglite products take time to develop because of the emphasis on quality."  Talk about dropping the ball.  

If they don't adapt soon, there will be no reason to buy a Maglite.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

M4-AK

No kidding WTF are they thinking
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#32]
At $36.00 for the bulb I can see why no one is jumping to install these as standard in their lights......yikes!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag. (Couldn't find replacement Maglite bulbs after the hurricanes)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
At $36.00 for the bulb I can see why no one is jumping to install these as standard in their lights......yikes!

Regards,
Gary

LED's should have a signifigantly longer life than standard bulbs.
LED's are shock resistant, standard bulbs aren't.
LED's, unless "over-driven" don't give off heat.
LED's are generally pretty easy on batteries compared to standard bulbs.

The biggest challenge with LED's has been getting "white" LED's, and getting enough light output from them. Those problems seem to have been solved.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Streamlight Strion rechargable !!

mine has been lighting up the world for 4 months now with only two charges !!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Stainless, it's called the Tri-Star 4D.  He no longer is making them.  He is however making what he calls a Tri-Star Phaser, which is a 4C cell light.  Same output with somewhat less runtime.

Tri-Star Phaser.

Very nice light.  Two of my buddies bought it and like it alot.

Buck
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
tagged.  It appears the AR disease can compromise your immune system, making you vulnerable to other infections, like the flashlight bug.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The LAPD at the behest of Cheif Bratton has already banned this genre of flashlight for the street officer.

Really? Could you elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, I'd like to hear more about such a piss poor decision.  Flashlights are very important tools for LEOs.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

On a $300 light $36 isn't a big price, JMO
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Tagariffic
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Tagged
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

Well, we're on the crux of a mentality change.  The old mentality says WOW! to that price, as it still views a bulb as an expendable.  Hell, maglite bulbs only cost a buck or two.

The new mentality recognizes the value of LEDs and views both the LED bulb and chassis as a  investment for the long haul.

Personally, I'm sold on modded maglites.  I love the maglite chassis:  it's simple, extremely rugged and American made.  Add an equally rugged and bright LED bulb, and you've got a flashlight that you will enjoy using and be proud to own.  It just might outlast you too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#48]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#49]
more eyes
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#50]
those fuckin lightbulbs are expensive at $40 bucks a pop. No way hoser.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top