BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
BOTH evolution and creationism have evidence for and against them.

I agree.

But you'll NEVER get the religio-evolutionsts to agree.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actualy I would prefer if you don't speak for me, thanks.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on you.

Group hug, group hug.....

LOL  I knew you just needed some TLC
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Let me clear up some things.

Logic is used to show that something is true, but it takes FAITH to accept it as being true.

If that was meant to clear things up, you might want to try again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good wishes to Stryfe, a man with "not so common" SENSE.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
We've broken 1k
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have faith in evolution any more than I have faith in gravity.  

Unbeleiveable.

Did you just equate gravity and evolution?PLEASE tell me you didn't.

Gravity effects can be seen, verified, falsified, tested, validated, sliced, diced, and served with rice.

Macro evolution CANNOT.

NOWHERE is it observed today. ZERO transitional creatures.

Gravity IS a scientific matter. Evolution IS NOT.

I think you got it right when you said "Never gonna happen."

I can explain, he made a mistake calling it the theory of gravity, it's a law. Experiements were performed to prove the original theory.
I have already posted, and reposted, in this thread, why evolution can only ever be a theory.
Well, that and the strawman of transitional creatures you keep bringing up.

I did NOT make a mistake when I said that.   Evolution is a fact AND a theory.  Just as gravity is a fact AND a theory.  The law of gravity is a mathematical expression that states the force of gravity between 2 objects at a given distance.   The theory of gravity is quite a bit more detailed than that.   Laws are much more consise than a theory and in many cases can be expressed in mathematical terms.

Evolution and gravity are natural phenomena that scientists have theories about.  

Perhaps you should read talkorigins as well, they go into this in quite a bit of detail.

are you talking in circles...you says its a law then you don't??

absolutely noone doubts gravity...lots of people doubt evolution.

You need to read all of what he wrote.
You do know that light exists as both a particle and a wave, don't you?

yeah I know that.  Pick a pencil up.  Now drop it.  My evidence that gravity is not doubted by anyone.  Your probly talking about something else... but I just had to say it
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now see this is where the creationist screw up. You aren't going to logic your way in and defeat darwin.
You all think you can use your logic based on the bible to disprove it, when it's not possible to do so.

That's a pretty bad SLAM of the Darwinists.

It suggests they are impervious to logic. It suggests they can't be reached with logic.

Which in part I beleive is true. Lord knows I've tried...

Considering that the "logic" presented by the creationists in this thread is based on faith and opinion, I don't see it as a slam.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
woah thats weird..page 41 but nothing on it
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
from a christian standpoint id say it doesnt have that much relevance. evolution seems to be highly likley- but so what. No man can comprehend God's logic but i have faith that its perfect so BLAH!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unbeleiveable.

Gravity effects can be seen, verified, falsified, tested, validated, sliced, diced, and served with rice.

Macro evolution CANNOT.

I can explain, he made a mistake calling it the theory of gravity, it's a law. Experiements were performed to prove the original theory.
I have already posted, and reposted, in this thread, why evolution can only ever be a theory.

I did NOT make a mistake when I said that.   Evolution is a fact AND a theory.  Just as gravity is a fact AND a theory.  The law of gravity is a mathematical expression that states the force of gravity between 2 objects at a given distance.   The theory of gravity is quite a bit more detailed than that.   Laws are much more consise than a theory and in many cases can be expressed in mathematical terms.

Evolution and gravity are natural phenomena that scientists have theories about.  

Perhaps you should read talkorigins as well, they go into this in quite a bit of detail.

You need to read all of what he wrote.
You do know that light exists as both a particle and a wave, don't you?

no it don't

Newton's Law of Gravity states the following:  "Each object in the universe attracts each other body."

You just called a force equation a "law".
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Does this work?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me clear up some things.

Logic is used to show that something is true, but it takes FAITH to accept it as being true.  That goes for anything.  It takes an act of the will to accept sometime as true (faith), even if its a consious(sorry I can't spell) act or unconcious.

Now see this is where the creationist screw up. You aren't going to logic your way in and defeat darwin.
You have to prove with evidence that it's false. Which is why not much good will come from an internet discussion of the topic.
You all think you can use your logic based on the bible to disprove it, when it's not possible to do so.

BOTH evolution and creationism have evidence for and against them.

You can keep telling yourself that till you get blue in the face, but that doesn't make it any more true.

Evolution is a scientific THEORY, backed up be evidence.

Creationism is a STORY, backed up by a book and by denial.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
NO

Newton's Law of Gravity states the following: Each object in the universe attracts each other body.

Your confusing a force equation with a law.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unbeleiveable.

Macro evolution CANNOT.

Sorry missed your post, just saw another reply that quoted it so I came back.

The theory of gravity is a large and immensely complex beast.   It has progressed since Newton't time.   Newtons Law of Gravity is a small portion of the entire theory.   It deals with the force of gravity between 2 objects at a given distance.  Its the famour inverse square law  you probably learned in high school physics.  The law has not changed, the theory has changed immensely with the improve theory that Einstein started and others have built upon.

Hope that explains it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't belive this thread is still going. But I'll add my feelings to the subject anyway.

First off, what we call the Bible was in origin a collection of various texts and scrolls in various languages and eventually collected and edited for content. All of these were written by humans and as with every other thing created by humans, is prone to error and/or misunderstanding.

I need only to point to the Koran to prove this.

Secondly, you can read just about anything you want into the bible. UFO guys point to evidence of ETs, Numerologists look for codes, Homosexuals have webpages full of quotes from the Bible supporting their gayness, while others have webpages full of quotes purporting the opposite. According to Weekly World News, the Mormons, or Jehovas's Witnesses the end of the world is/was near/last week/next month.

In the end it's all just in how you interpret it.

Evolution and creationism are two theories. They do not cancel eachother out nor do they oppose eachother. The only "theory" that opposes creationism is Atheism. Unless of course you want to believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible (7 days and all that)

The scientific version of the history of the Universe is thus:

1. Big Bang (Basic Universe created out of nothing)
2. Stars born
3. Planets made
4. Life appears
    A. Plants/Trees
    B. Critters

The big question is wether Humans evolved from single celled organisms over millions of years or if Adam was molded from dirt while Eve grew out of his rib.  If you want to believe in a literal word for word translation of the Bible, nothing good will come of it. In fact, you're probably already condemed to hell. (Reread Kings, Deuteronomy, and Numbers if you don't believe me)

If you're more flexible, let's move on.

We know that living things are evolving. Viruses are getting stronger, people are getting taller, some animals use tools (no, not your screwdriver) etc. We've traced the mitochondria in our DNA to a species that lived about a 100,000 years ago. We know the Dinosaurs died out a few million years ago, while an enterprising species of furbearers managed to survive.

So the question becomes a philosophical one.

Again discarding a literal translation we have to ask ourselves:

1. What constitues God's "Image" in which he made us?

I find it hard to belive that it's of a hairy two-legged creature that can make a variety of strange noises out of both ends. To me it's more likely a conciousness that can effect changes on the world and lesser animals around us - which describes us quite well.  

2. What is "time" to God?

Answer: Nothing.  The few million years it took for us to crawl out of the mud is nothing to an all-seeing omnipotent being who preceeded the Universe. In all likelyhood He/She's got a hundred billion trillion other sheep around the Universe and knows us all by name. What seems like a long time to us doesn't even register on that scale.

So in conclusion Evolution can peacefully exist with non-literal Creationism.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
test
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Woohoo I'm posting into the Abyss!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Darwin said he was wrong before he died, and no one has been able to prove him right yet. I would say that it takes more faith to believe in Darwin, than to believe in God. God never said that he was wrong.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Busted 40 pages and self destructed
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top