Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2024 4:51:33 PM EDT
Two lifeforms merge into one organism for first time in a billion years

For the first time in at least a billion years, two lifeforms have merged into a single organism.

The process, called primary endosymbiosis, has only happened twice in the history of the Earth, with the first time giving rise to all complex life as we know it through mitochondria. The second time that it happened saw the emergence of plants.

Now, an international team of scientists have observed the evolutionary event happening between a species of algae commonly found in the ocean and a bacterium.

“The first time we think it happened, it gave rise to all complex life,” said Tyler Coale, a postdoctoral researcher at University of California, Santa Cruz, who led the research on one of two recent studies that uncovered the phenomenon.

“Everything more complicated than a bacterial cell owes its existence to that event. A billion years ago or so, it happened again with the chloroplast, and that gave us plants.”

The process involves the algae engulfing the bacterium and providing it with nutrients, energy and protection in return for functions that it could not previously perform – in this instance, the ability to “fix” nitrogen from the air.

The algae then incorporates the bacterium as an internal organ called an organelle, which becomes vital to the host’s ability to function.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GilTPayne:
How many civilizations have risen and fell in just the known history of mankind that we have absolutely no knowledge of.

Pretty sure these 'experts' are talking out of their asses.

Must be funding time.
View Quote

You got that right...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#2]
It only happened three times and once in a Billion Years, but they were lucky enough to observe it right here right now.    WOW!    What are the odds of that?  

BIG ALGAE BURN BIG BACTERIA.  I GOT BIGGER ALGAE THAN THAT IN MY PARLOR TANK.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm lichen this story.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
These threads are fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This happened yesterday in my backyard but no scientists were around to measure it

Bears DO dump in the woods
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
THE EARF IS ONLY 6000 YEARS OLD

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

You're the only one who has posted that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like the researchers are going after more of government grants funding, should ensure their comfortable life through retirement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
we just have to wait another 2-4 billion to ask it what it thinks of the civil war movie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
biden mated with pelici??
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Fascinating, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#13]
Originally Posted By fulminate:

In the beginning there was vast nothingness, then there was a bang and suddenly something took nothing's place.

-- GD Hurr Durr trust the science
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

In the beginning there was vast nothingness, then there was a bang and suddenly something took nothing's place.

I’ll just default to my standard response of “who made god then?” and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

I’ll just default to my standard response of “who made god then?” and leave it at that.
View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

God wasn't made.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
And how many centuries will it take before it evolves into a something?
View Quote

maybe we could hook it up with some stem cells and grow a border wall.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
What created the puddle of goop?
So everything, plants animals and humans evolved from goop, then magically started evolving after it's own kind? ie,  Each species after it's own kind?

GOD just can't be real, because then I would be accountable for my actions....

-atheists-
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I did not have "wiped out by Triffids" on my bingo card.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

Here's the non retarded version.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

- GD Bible Thumpers

In the beginning there was a singularity vast nothingness, then there was a bang and suddenly that singularity started expanding something took nothing's place.

Here's the non retarded version.

And we don’t know what caused the singularity, but we know for sure it wasn’t the Christian God.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

It's only happened twice in a BILLION years

-Ignorant Atheist Couch Potatoe Scientists with 150 years of amateur data
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
How do they know that it hasn't happened any other time within the last billion years?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I only have one question. Am I going to die?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Kind of makes me want to watch EVOLUTION, again.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By akpostal:
Is this like a Tuvix situation going on?
View Quote

Janeway is a cold hearted psychopathic bitch for what she did to Tuvix
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Then random lifeless chemicals became alive for reasons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By zeekh:
So, was this a forced process in a lab? And how do they really know it's the first time?
View Quote

Because she said so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:

Because she said so.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:
Originally Posted By zeekh:
So, was this a forced process in a lab? And how do they really know it's the first time?

Because she said so.

Why do guys always ask her that?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

How long until some Marine tries to fuck it and impregnate it?
View Quote

Too late...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow the first time in a billion years and we’re around to see it. We should all go get lottery tickets
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By phungus:

For the first time in at least a billion years, two lifeforms have merged into a single organism.

The process, called primary endosymbiosis, has only happened twice in the history of the Earth, with the first time giving rise to all complex life as we know it through mitochondria. The second time that it happened saw the emergence of plants.

Now, an international team of scientists have observed the evolutionary event happening between a species of algae commonly found in the ocean and a bacterium.

“The first time we think it happened, it gave rise to all complex life,” said Tyler Coale, a postdoctoral researcher at University of California, Santa Cruz, who led the research on one of two recent studies that uncovered the phenomenon.

“Everything more complicated than a bacterial cell owes its existence to that event. A billion years ago or so, it happened again with the chloroplast, and that gave us plants.”

The process involves the algae engulfing the bacterium and providing it with nutrients, energy and protection in return for functions that it could not previously perform – in this instance, the ability to “fix” nitrogen from the air.

The algae then incorporates the bacterium as an internal organ called an organelle, which becomes vital to the host’s ability to function.
View Quote

User name checks out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
Sounds like the researchers are going after more of government grants funding, should ensure their comfortable life through retirement.
View Quote

ding ding ding ding ding
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Great, now it's going to mate with AI and try to kill us all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#36]

I'll just default to my standard response of "who made god then?" and leave it at that.
View Quote
Which one?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Dudes!!!!!

Captain Kirk's green broad!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't be long now before she's more than just a rule 34 wet dream!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#38]

"The first time we think it happened, it gave rise to all complex life," said Tyler Coale, a postdoctoral researcher at University of California, Santa Cruz, who led the research on one of two recent studies that uncovered the phenomenon.

"Everything more complicated than a bacterial cell owes its existence to that event. A billion years ago or so, it happened again with the chloroplast, and that gave us plants."

The process involves the algae engulfing the bacterium and providing it with nutrients, energy and protection in return for functions that it could not previously perform   in this instance, the ability to "fix" nitrogen from the air.

The algae then incorporates the bacterium as an internal organ called an organelle, which becomes vital to the host's ability to function.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#39]
The idea that science and Christianity are at odds with each other is pants on head retarded.

There are tons of Christians who have made huge strides for science, they're not opposing views. Understanding our own world while trying to understand who created it is the only difference. In Theology, it's referred to as the first mover theory. Or the "un-moved mover". There's also other really cool stuff like the sparks created at conception we didn't know existed until we had the technology to observe it.

Watching, documenting, and appreciating the utter vastness of nature does not make you stupid. Neither does wondering and exploring where not only that ecosystem came from but also your intellect to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm pretty retarded, but as I understand it the biggest scientific problem we have right now is we can't reconcile quantum mechanics with atomic theory.

Put simply, some guys are looking at the universe with a billion foot view and others are trying to zoom in one billion times.

Neither is objectively wrong, but neither is a universal theory which applies to everything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
The idea that science and Christianity are at odds with each other is pants on head retarded.

There are tons of Christians who have made huge strides for science, they're not opposing views. Understanding our own world while trying to understand who created it is the only difference. In Theology, it's referred to as the first mover theory. Or the "un-moved mover". There's also other really cool stuff like the sparks created at conception we didn't know existed until we had the technology to observe it.

Watching, documenting, and appreciating the utter vastness of nature does not make you stupid. Neither does wondering and exploring where not only that ecosystem came from but also your intellect to appreciate it.
View Quote

Mostly true but there is obviously a huge conflict between literal interpretation of scripture and science.
Most religion has ceded science it's own space but some insist on believing things incompatible with rock solid science.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
I'm pretty retarded, but as I understand it the biggest scientific problem we have right now is we can't reconcile quantum mechanics with atomic theory.

Put simply, some guys are looking at the universe with a billion foot view and others are trying to zoom in one billion times.

Neither is objectively wrong, but neither is a universal theory which applies to everything.
View Quote

Atomic(now particle) theory and quantum are both on the very small end.

Gravity and relativity are on the very large end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#44]

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote
I'm a Christian and I love to get into it with these people. They usually lose it at "Creation could have taken 6,000 years since the Bible says a Day is like 1000 years and 1000 year is like a Day." The fact is we don't know how long it took for stuff to form between GOD spoke and what he spoke happened.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoFnNamesLeft:

For the first time in at least a billion years, since 1991two lifeforms have merged into a single organism.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198286/IMG_0791_jpeg-3195302.JPG

STATION!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I give it 2 years before pioneer puts it in corn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Doc Fauci’s gain of function lab does this shit on the regular.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Tastes great, whats it look like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#49]

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

GTFO with that played out shit.

I've been here 17 years and have never seen a single member post that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomMcC] [#50]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
I'm a Christian and I love to get into it with these people. They usually lose it at "Creation could have taken 6,000 years since the Bible says a Day is like 1000 years and 1000 year is like a Day." The fact is we don't know how long it took for stuff to form between GOD spoke and what he spoke happened
View Quote
deleted.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top