Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2024 10:27:09 PM EDT
Anyone witness or experience this?

MOA using K9s to sniff out guns
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:34:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#1]
Dog better be packin' heat.  

If you're sniffing for mine and making me leave it at home - I expect to be protected!

Although I'm willing to bet - gun or no gun - I still smell like them on the regular.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a dropper and drop CLP everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I could easily see this quietly phased out at MoA for being “racist”.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marksman762:

Are they effective?  Traveling there soon and seriously debating if carrying is going to be an issue.
View Quote

The mall is posted but there is a legal debate if a landlord can post legally. I think the argument is that every store individually would need to post.

Not sure if there have been any test cases.

Concealed means concealed or better yet, don't go.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JimEN:
I googled mall of america security. Do they really openly carry rifles and have a range at the mall?
View Quote

That's only in Gecko45's fantasy of mall security.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drerickson77:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimEN:
I googled mall of america security. Do they really openly carry rifles and have a range at the mall?

There are days when people are walking around with M4 style rifles. I’m sure their main job isn’t mall security.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sokarul:

There are days when people are walking around with M4 style rifles. I’m sure their main job isn’t mall security.
View Quote

The legend lives on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I would prefer gun shooting Eli Dickens over gun sniffing dogs to protect a mall.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Gecko45 got a dog?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]

The legend lives on.
View Quote

I’m not sure what you are getting at. I’ll get a picture next time I see them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

IDK the laws on the area.

Can you lose your CCW or right to carry if you go armed somewhere that private owners don't want you to?

The places converting CCW licenses over to allow you to carry where private people say don't do it seems interesting.
View Quote

All depends on the state. Here in Florida all they can do is ask you to leave.
Now, if you don't leave you are trespass while armed which is a felony.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sokarul:

I’m not sure what you are getting at. I’ll get a picture next time I see them.
View Quote

If open rifles are being carried it's by the Bloomington police and not the MOA Security.

That's all. No need for a picture.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
The few times I go to the MOA I never see the proper signs (or any signs) banning guns and I always conceal when I'm there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I love dogs but this could become an issue of self defense.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
People still go to malls?
View Quote

I wouldn't if I saw a sign for gun sniffing dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Might be good practice location for someone who wants to train to pass the government's gun sniffing dogs.

I'm always looking for the silver lining like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#17]

If open rifles are being carried it's by the Bloomington police and not the MOA Security.

That's all. No need for a picture.

View Quote

Yes, that’s what I hinted at, it’s probably not MOA security.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#18]
We had them on many of our details back when we were doing large events. Plain clothes, they never acknowledged any of us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tmm1270:

Smell of powder
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
What do they hit on?

Smell of powder

That's not true.  I've had a chance to interact with them and ask a trainer questions.  They will hit on any series of things that are gun related including solvents and gun lubricants.  

Once you truly appreciate how advanced a dog's sense of smell is, it is mind blowing.  They even have dogs trained to locate electronic devices like phones and hard drives.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]

The mall is posted but there is a legal debate if a landlord can post legally. I think the argument is that every store individually would need to post.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman762:

Are they effective?  Traveling there soon and seriously debating if carrying is going to be an issue.

As far as I know, MN is still luckily in the group that the posted signs don't really carry any weight of the law. They can ask you to leave, and then only if you raise a stink and refuse to leave, they can trespass you for a misdemeanor, but that's about it. Shouldn't be an issue to carry there so long as you're okay with leaving if you get sniffed and asked to leave.

Granted, I think the Dems are trying to change that where those signs are actually legally binding, but I don't think they've been able to shoehorn that one in yet, thankfully.

With the way the MoA has degraded, an upstanding citizen carrying while peacefully going about their shopping is probably going to be low on the priority list for security to swing their dick about, compared to the probably daily scuffles amongst the groups of rowdy youths.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
When visiting my folks in MN my wife and I will go to MoA. I always carry and my wife has a service dog (German shepherd) due to a pretty severe feinting issue. Needless to say, when the MoA police with the dogs see us they immediately divert and go another direction.

It appears her service dog does more than just her training now as I believe protocol is for the k9's to avoid service animals entirely. Which makes sense to me in a lot of ways. Good for us I guess.

Now, my dog would have no issue with another dog, as she's trained to ignore them, but it seems the officers with a k9 just avoid us. This has happened multiple times at the mall and others. So I just keep on carrying my gun. Especially with some of the major violent crime that has happened at that mall.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Dump a bottle of Hoppe's #9 or CLP onto the carpet near the entrance and watch the doggie work hard chasing everyone.  

View Quote

Dastardly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By grumpalicious:
Yep, I saw that at the Kenwood Mall in Cincinnati. K9 handler said they were trained to detect guns and explosives. I wonder if I can conceal carry a really small xbow?
View Quote

Knives are the in thing if you're a bad actor... oh wait, the dogs don't detect them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kychas:
Don’t wear a jacket that you shoot in
View Quote

Or wear one and wait for the false accusations... $$$
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Smell of powder freedom
View All Quotes
What do they hit on?

Smell of powder freedom

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By captexas:

Smell of Hoppes and CLP
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captexas:
What do they hit on?

Smell of Hoppes and CLP

Whew….for a second I thought it would be cherry balmz.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I was just there, I had no problems. It's the guys at the doors searching bags and asking you to lift your shirt that will get you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ArrowheadBulldog:

As far as I know, MN is still luckily in the group that the posted signs don't really carry any weight of the law. They can ask you to leave, and then only if you raise a stink and refuse to leave, they can trespass you for a misdemeanor, but that's about it. Shouldn't be an issue to carry there so long as you're okay with leaving if you get sniffed and asked to leave.

Granted, I think the Dems are trying to change that where those signs are actually legally binding, but I don't think they've been able to shoehorn that one in yet, thankfully.

With the way the MoA has degraded, an upstanding citizen carrying while peacefully going about their shopping is probably going to be low on the priority list for security to swing their dick about, compared to the probably daily scuffles amongst the groups of rowdy youths.
View Quote

This is correct. Signs are to be ignored except in governmental facilities and carry no weight of law. If asked to leave, leave and inform them that I fringements on the rights of law abiding citizens Wil have your money going elsewhere.

That said, why would you voluntarily give money to people that hate you and your rights, much less a place like MOA that is obscenely overpriced and rife with shitheads?

Don't go. If you disregard that and go anyways, load heavy. With how vibrant it is the MOA may as well be North Minneapolis.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By justsayin:
They do that here, seen the signs in several states.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/9grih6u8a9v71-2193230.jpg
View Quote

Do they then assume the responsibility for a shopper security, if they remove the ability for the shopper to defend themself?

Are we able, as the now defenseless have the right to see their security measures?

Or is it a case of "Don't like it, get out" kinda thing?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]
As Evolv grows it will not surprise me when the bigger malls all have them at their entrances.

Especially states where it is legal to carry into a building unless someone there asks you to not carry.

Using Evolv, they can stop people at the entrance and make them take their guns to the car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#31]
The Mall of America is for kids and women. There is no circumstance in which on a day off I would feel the urge to go there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Well malls are ghey..
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:
Time to go to the mall dropping some powder as I walk around.
View Quote

This.

A pinch of powder and and drop of gun oil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Will that piss off plainclothes or off duty cops and feds?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
I was just there, I had no problems. It's the guys at the doors searching bags and asking you to lift your shirt that will get you.
View Quote

See, why go anywhere that treats you like a prisoner. No you are not going to look at my gut Paul Blart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:

From what I understand any government facility that bans guns can charge you (like a courthouse) but for private property like malls they will ask you to leave and if you refuse to leave at that point you can be charged with trespassing and possibly more.

My rule of thumb is to carry everywhere except where metal detectors or pat-downs are expected and if I'm caught and asked to leave a private property I'm not going to argue and just leave.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:
Just don’t admit to anything and tell them to get bent, they have no right to search or pat you down. Then get the F out if you’re in a place where they want to arrest people for carrying at a mall.

IDK the laws on the area.

Can you lose your CCW or right to carry if you go armed somewhere that private owners don't want you to?

The places converting CCW licenses over to allow you to carry where private people say don't do it seems interesting.

From what I understand any government facility that bans guns can charge you (like a courthouse) but for private property like malls they will ask you to leave and if you refuse to leave at that point you can be charged with trespassing and possibly more.

My rule of thumb is to carry everywhere except where metal detectors or pat-downs are expected and if I'm caught and asked to leave a private property I'm not going to argue and just leave.

This is state dependent - here valid no guns signs have force of law and could in theory in $1,000 fine ( likely ) and 6 mo in jail (unlikely)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Spread a baggie worth of old crap powder outside the entrance for people to pick up on their shoes and track all over the mall.

Even go as far as spreading it inside the mall.

Get a string of Black Cats and light them off.  The remaining paper should have enough residue to perk up the pups.  Spread that around.

Fuck with them endlessly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I wont go to a mall without my gun.

I guess I wont go to malls anymore.

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dsg2003gt:
I wont go to a mall without my gun.

I guess I wont go to malls anymore.

Oh, well.
View Quote

Yup, the only exception for me is Scheel's, which is attached to a mall, in and out the store's entrance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

It usually is up to the lessee or tenant. Where Simon Property Group etc got around it is in the lease. The loophole is they write the firearm prohibition requirement into the tenant's rental agreement. Tenant cannot allow firearms, and you have to pass the posted sign to get to the store so "you're in violation". Remember, they think those signs work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

This is correct. Signs are to be ignored except in governmental facilities and carry no weight of law. If asked to leave, leave and inform them that I fringements on the rights of law abiding citizens Wil have your money going elsewhere.
View Quote

I don't quite get the whole "except in governmental facilities" thing.  

The government is specifically prohibited from infringing on our 2nd amendment rights, while stores are not.  Government buildings can not exclude you.

(Sure I know, they have other men with guns that are willing to kill you to enforce their signs, I am talking Constitutional grounds here.)

The 2nd Amendment does not apply to semi-auto rifles, nor does it apply to bolt action rifles, pistols, or revolvers. The 2nd Amendment RESTRICTS GOVERNMENT. The technology of the firearm is irrelevant.

The restrictions on government remain the same, regardless of the firearm. The Second Amendment was not written to grant permission for citizens to own and bear firearms. It forbids government interference in the right to keep and bear arms, period.

Or am I wrong in thinking this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Shops at Merrick Park in Miami has signs stating they have gun-sniffing dogs. It's not your typical mall as it's all high end stores like Gucci, Tiffanys, etc.. Went with my wife a few weeks ago since she needed to return some clothes and saw the signs and a dog. The handler wasn't a LEO, he was an armed security guard. I was CC, but the dog and handler were too far away when I saw them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Local mall has a sign saying they do. I have doubts but what is the worse they can do? Ask you to leave. I'm still carrying a gun
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#46]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:
Polaris Mall in Columbus supposedly has similar dogs. They didn't detect anything on me when I walked by.

Gang bangers won't give a fuck and will just run, or start shooting, if caught. Those legally carrying can only be asked to leave the premises, so they are technically targeting the law abiding patrons who want to spend money at the mall. Seems like a poor business model, but these days malls suck and seem to have gang banger issues. So maybe that is what they want.
View Quote

When did Polaris put up “no gun” signs?

@vaughn4380
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Several years ago I ccw'd a CZ Scorpion pistol with a reload under my large jacket (it was winter) at the MOA just to see if I could
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#48]
What do they hit on?
View Quote

Same as me.
Hoppes #9
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
People still go to malls?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

Counterpoint:

-wear a jacket you shoot in (hell, dust a little loose powder in the pockets),
-don't carry your gun,
-get singled out by dog and searched by mall-cops,
-claim it was because of your ethnicity/orientation/gender/political affiliation/deformity/autism/etc,
-PROFIT!

View Quote
yes!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top