Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/29/2024 1:35:07 PM EDT
https://fortune.com/europe/2024/03/28/ozempic-maker-novo-nordisk-facing-pressure-as-study-finds-1000-appetite-suppressant-can-be-made-for-just-5/

Ozempic could be profitably produced for less than $5 a month even as maker Novo Nordisk A/S charges almost $1,000 in the US, according to a study that revives questions about prices for top-selling treatments for diabetes and obesity.

The blockbuster drug could be manufactured for 89 cents to $4.73 for a month’s supply, figures that include a profit margin, researchers at Yale University, King’s College Hospital in London and the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders reported in the journal JAMA Network Open. That compares to the monthly US list price of $968.52 for Ozempic, a weekly injection.
View Quote

Isn’t its main use for diabetes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Drug companies ripping people off ?

I'm shocked !
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Their property. The price is theirs to set.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes a compounding pharmacy can and will make it for you for much less money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  Drug companies are not going so spend millions of dollars and 10+ years of R&D making a product to sell for $5 per month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That's can't cover the R&D cost which is probably in the Billions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yale, King's College and the Doctor's group are free to develop their own pharmaceuticals.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone has to pay for the r&d and FDA approval. If these highly educated fucking morons would realize that new medications and technology don't grow on trees or appear in thin air, then maybe pharmaceutical pricing would make more sense. No one is going to figure out a god damned thing if they don't get paid to do it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Pharma hates you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly.  Drug companies are not going so spend millions of dollars and 10+ years of R&D making a product to sell for $5 per month.
View Quote
Everyone loves the free market until it's time to do free market shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Researchers at Yale University, King’s College Hospital in London and the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders should develop their own drugs and sell them for whatever price they want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Most drugs are cheap to make.  As several have already pointed out it is the R&D, clinical trials and approvals that make them expensive.  

A pharmaceutical company has to be allowed to recoup those investments or no new drugs will ever again come to the market.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
50% of r&d is paid by us.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d agree on the surface, but these companies are often deep in bed with big government and get a lot of public funding.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes a compounding pharmacy can and will make it for you for much less money.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Well it's like those million dollar missiles.
Congressional stonk portfolios arent going to get rich on $5 a month doses now are they?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Who is paying $1000?

my ins copay is $10. For 6 weeks supply. It lowered my A1C from 7.2 to 6.5 in 6 months.
I am not trying to lose weight, it was prescribed to lower my A1C.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Someone has to pay for the r&d and FDA approval. If these highly educated fucking morons would realize that new medications and technology don't grow on trees or appear in thin air, then maybe pharmaceutical pricing would make more sense. No one is going to figure out a god damned thing if they don't get paid to do it.
View Quote
This. It takes roughly $1 BILLION to bring a drug to market. And that investment has to be recouped during a drug's patent life. Pharma R&D isn't cheap. Patent litigation isn't cheap. Clinical trials aren't cheap. We have a lot of miracle drugs but they come at a price.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I studied the issue and found that reducing your food consumption can actually save money. (this concept has value for the diabeetus victims, too, but I won't charge extra for intelligence, despite the fact insurance is involved)
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Drug companies put MILLIONS into drug development.  They have a right to make that back.  Have a problem with it, take it up with the federal government that makes them go through far more hoops than any other country on the planet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's can't cover the R&D cost which is probably in the Billions.
View Quote

Some fools think a selling price is or should be based on materials cost plus a modest profit. It's just a little liquid (or powder), right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm shocked !
View Quote

What does cost have to do with the value in the market?

In this thread we learn who understands the difference between production cost and what price the market will bear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm shocked !
View Quote

You say ripping off, I say charging what people will pay.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. And now do insulin, greedy motherfuckers. And not for the sake of the lardasses but for kids who have type 1.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm shocked !
View Quote

Yes, im sure all scientists, r&d and testing that went into the product was super cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Drug companies put MILLIONS billions into drug development.  They have a right to make that back.  Have a problem with it, take it up with the federal government that makes them go through far more hoops than any other country on the planet.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I called about a year ago when I said wait till the EBT crowd starts crying to get their skinny drug.
It's coming, this is the window.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't wait to see the rippling health effects when people can eat absolute SHIT food and still be "thin" with no worries of self-control anymore.

At least not being fat was a motivator for some people to make better dietary decisions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who is paying $1000?

my ins copay is $10. For 6 weeks supply. It lowered my A1C from 7.2 to 6.5 in 6 months.
I am not trying to lose weight, it was prescribed to lower my A1C.
View Quote
The over weight early 40s soccer mom so she can find her path now that the kids are seniors in high-school
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#29]
More communists wanting to dictate how much profit a private company can make.   What a surprise.    

Even bigger "surprise" that it's phungus pushing it.

Is Ozempic right for everyone?   No

Is Ozempic the ONLY med that is effective for treating diabetes?   Not even close...many dozens of others, some that are better for a lot of people.

Yet the liberals complaining that the company makes "too much" profit, and hating on the free market.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Wasn't there a thread yesterday about how you can just order your own ingredients for these medications on a website with Venmo? I can't seem to find it now though.

edit: found it in my history. The thread is gone
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah but how much did it cost to develop? And how much did it cost the same company to develop a dozen other failed drugs.

But muh free drugs. I love GD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I can think of a free way to lose weight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait till they hear self control is free.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This. It takes roughly $1 BILLION to bring a drug to market. And that investment has to be recouped during a drug's patent life. Pharma R&D isn't cheap. Patent litigation isn't cheap. Clinical trials aren't cheap. We have a lot of miracle drugs but they come at a price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup, someone had to pay a hell of a lot up front to develop it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a thread yesterday about how you can just order your own ingredients for these medications on a website with Venmo? I can't seem to find it now though.

edit: found it in my history. The thread is gone
View Quote

I was wondering this morning what happened to it. I subbed to it to read when I had time and it was gone this morning...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
The FDA approval is the most costly part of the process if we found a way to streamline that prices would be a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Catchy jingles and high production value commercials don't pay for themselves.
But yeah, I can't imagine how much R&D and liability insurance costs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I studied the issue and found that reducing your food consumption can actually save money. (this concept has value for the diabeetus victims, too, but I won't charge extra for intelligence, despite the fact insurance is involved)
View Quote

Works for some people.

But then there are people like me.  I can eat nothing for days.  (Yes, I have done this.)  Not a bite, not a sip, nada.  And my blood sugar will go up.

Sure there are the people who can't/won't put down the cookies but there are also people like me who lost the genetic lottery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't wait to see the rippling health effects when people can eat absolute SHIT food and still be "thin" with no worries of self-control anymore.

At least not being fat was a motivator for some people to make better dietary decisions.
View Quote

It’s not so they can “eat shit food and still be thin”

It’s an appetite suppressant, so they literally eat less food.

The weight loss version Zepbound that my wife is using has helped her drop 30 lbs and actually feel good enough to do more walking /exercise to further help her. But hey, fuck anyone trying to better themselves right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Just an FYI: these are not new drugs despite the hotness of them.

Americans are getting ripped off big time. Compare the prices other nations are being charged
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The weight loss version Zepbound that my wife is using has helped her drop 30 lbs and actually feel good enough to do more walking /exercise to further help her. But hey, fuck anyone trying to better themselves right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DDiggler is not posting about what people should do, but rather what most people will do.

Congrats to your wife.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Wonder what the price would be if the drug company of that particular product factored in all of their cost to develop and then added a 20% reasonable fee?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Ethical R&D, hiring teams of doctors, ethical testing and multiple studies, and FDA approval is a years-long process.  Even a drug that was 100% free to make and required no advertising/incentivization to get out there would cost many millions of dollars to actually initially bring to market.  That's why new drugs enjoy a period of time without competition.  

Not to mention drug companies are testing dozens of drugs and procedure and they don't always pan out.   The ones that do make it to market have to pay for the ones that never see the light of day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#44]
When the patent expires, the price will probably drop.

If you want to make real change, shorten the duration of all patents by about 5 years.  When the patent system was originally conceived, things moved much slower.  Have drawings and test reports to send to the other office?  Wait for the Pony Express guy to get here.  Yes, I know the USPS still runs at that speed, but most things nowadays go over the internet in a few minutes.  The reduced cycle time for most business activities should be reflected in the patent duration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.

On the flip side, American prices are so much higher because we subsidize drug sales in other countries.

About the same as everything else, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do those same drug companies also recieve millions of dollars in .gov grants/funding to develop these drugs? Do they also donate to politicians that help get them those funds? Thes are questions that need to be answered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I consider myself a capitalist, and I don't believe that "price gouging" is a thing.

But...

If there are competing companies whose products are also being sold at hundreds of times the cost to manufacture them, I think that would be in violation of antitrust laws, would it not?

In any case, whether or not this should be a crime isn't an argument I want to get into, but I do feel like the people who shamelessly take these kinds of profits should be dragged out into the streets and beaten, tarred and feathered, and everything else.  

Yes, if you own something you should be able to set the price for it.  But when you get caught doing bullshit like this, you should also have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life for being an unmitigated asshole.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just an FYI: these are not new drugs despite the hotness of them.

Americans are getting ripped off big time. Compare the prices other nations are being charged
View Quote
Woah now, don't let facts get in the way of simping for big pharma.
They're actually losing patent rights globabally. Unsurprisingly, China already stripped them and generics can be produced there. Even where only name brands can be sold, Americans pay about 10 times as much as other countries. Europe and Asia pay closer to $100 or less.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#49]
That's how all pharma companies work.  Make a drug for $5, then sell it for $1,000.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big reason why research for new antibiotics has dropped significantly; companies don’t consider those to have a good ROI.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top