Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/26/2024 3:11:04 PM EDT
If China strikes US assets as part of their campaign against Taiwan, should America fight back or withdraw from the Pacific?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By primuspilum:

Maybe we should stop shipping critical industries overseas.

We have no business with Taiwan other than business. Especially because we made a binding deal with China to recognize Taiwan as an integral constituent part of China.

We could be completely self sufficient in all areas. Why aren't we?

Answering that question tells who are real enemies are. And it isn't the Chinese. (Hint: they all have US passports).
View Quote

100% Agree.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
the merican draft for WWIII with china and/or russia is gonna be epic.
View Quote

I plan to capitalize on the opportunity by starting a phony 8 year mail order university that basically just sells deferments.

I’ll sell clipper oil to make a few bucks off the ones I don’t snag.

Maybe a dating site targeted at their lonely girlfriends.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck no!

Even if I was a John Bolton type, with the government we have, and how mismanaged AFG and IRQ were, there's no fucking way we should be fighting any wars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

I'd say we owe the fuckers for 1950 and 2019 and I couldn't give a shit about an agreement in 1972.
View Quote

If we don't honor our commitments, we can't expect anyone else to honor them either.

Either we have an imperfect international system based on binding agreements, or we have a chaotic international anarchy.

We achieved the Pax Americana by being willing to deal. It's been a pretty good run.

We dealt with the Soviets, who were way worse than the Chinese. (Pro Tip: up until 1956, the Chinese were subcontractors for the Soviets-anything they did up until 56 was under direct supervision/permission of the USSR).
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

War or no war China attempting a military take over of Taiwan results in global depression not recession, depression as in 1930s style America not Obama 2009-2016
A Great Depression, 7 to 10 trillion economic loss and trade with Japan and South Korea lost for the rest of the century

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-09/economy-risks-latest-taiwan-war-would-cost-world-10-trillion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1678_jpeg-3170201.JPG
View Quote

Pffftttt.

We tack that onto the national debt every few months.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By letsjustexfil:
Let's rephrase it to be more honest.

Are you willing to die to defend Taiwan?
View Quote

Huh, interesting… how do you feel about Putin?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Pffftttt.

We tack that onto the national debt every few months.
View Quote

Not even close to the same thing

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#8]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Largely because 3nm isn't in the cards. The physics (or even the theory of the physics for 3) do not exist. Much less any sort of practical implementation.

Even the"5nm" chips are actually 7nm gates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alien:
I'll delete my ARF account AND pay $1,000 to anyone willing to wager $1,000 or their favorite rifle and delete their account {account must be 2017 or older} if the USA manufactures the equivalent of Taiwan 3nm microchips in quantities the United States needs only for domestic uses before the year 2030

Any takers?

I would not take that bet.

Largely because 3nm isn't in the cards. The physics (or even the theory of the physics for 3) do not exist. Much less any sort of practical implementation.

Even the"5nm" chips are actually 7nm gates.
Oh. I guess I'll go buy me some of those NVidia Blackwell, Hopper, or even Lovelace level GPUs from a US fab facility then to build my AI super computer then!

Oh wait....
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
It won't matter how we feel about it. If China moves on Taiwan.... They're going to strike American bases and assets in an attempt to diminish any quick response they think we'll make.
View Quote

We could have avoided it all by helping them develope nuke plants and a viable space program.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:

I would predict massive inflation, not a depression.  This country would be 110% employed.
View Quote

Really, 110% employment? What are you smoking? There would be massive unemployment and a greater depression. Exports account for 3+ trillion dollars. You can't snap your fingers and replace it. It is unbelievably insane to even think we can exist without imports and exports. It would be national economic suicide.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]

3GAA has been talked about and claims have been made
45/20 is a fucking pipe dream

There are no chips on the market or even pre-sample smaller than 45 gate. Every attempt to gate shrink smaller than 45nm has failed even as engineering test beds.

45 is the gate size of the 7nm process that has been around for more than five years now.

Electron tunneling is a thing.  This is why Intel just said fuck it like 7 years ago now.
View Quote

Intel is a shit garbage company. My ex wife worked at the Santa Clara HQ for 3 years before we got married. Fuck that company
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Resist the urge to be a checkers player please.

He's Chinese. From the Chinese perspective, he's very rational. His red line is any perceived return to the Century of Humiliation. It's not guesswork, he says it all the time. Other than that, he can be dealt with, because that's what the Chinese do: they deal.

Yeah, they cheat. But so do we. He's telegraphing all his punches for a reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

A rational leader trains his replacements.  I'm not sure that describes Xi.

Resist the urge to be a checkers player please.

He's Chinese. From the Chinese perspective, he's very rational. His red line is any perceived return to the Century of Humiliation. It's not guesswork, he says it all the time. Other than that, he can be dealt with, because that's what the Chinese do: they deal.

Yeah, they cheat. But so do we. He's telegraphing all his punches for a reason.

I'm not playing checkers.  I'm not playing at all.  He's playing and it often seems as if he's not playing with a full deck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
Isolationism won’t work in the long run. It will only make it worse. I don’t think we have a real choice if China makes that move if they don’t strike US assets in the initial phase of an operation. They strike Taiwan and US ? It’s on. 2025 to 2026 are going to be interesting years
View Quote

Isolationism is a fool's game no one can win except our enemies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
In a war with China over Taiwan, we can be expected to lose:

2 Carriers
10 Attack Subs
45-52 Surface Warships
400 aircraft
About 10-12k personnel.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
With Biden in charge?
Have you seen who his cabinet is?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
the merican draft for WWIII with china and/or russia is gonna be epic.
View Quote

Draft the white boys with DEI running the show...

Good luck wit dat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Vikingsouthpaw:

2 Carriers
10 Attack Subs
45-52 Surface Warships
400 aircraft
About 10-12k personnel.

View Quote
Really depends on how long hostilities continue.

I think they would lose ~50k in a week or so.

Lots of naval assets would quickly go under taking most of their crews with them.

If we have carriers close when they start the war, we probably lose them.

Given their long range anti-ship missiles, it's a difficult fight and our F35's really need longer legs.

But we have lots of assets than can make the distance and quickly put many of their ships on the seafloor.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Isolationism is a fool's game no one can win except our enemies.
View Quote

To place your own interests first does not necessarily constitute isolationism.

Our Empire is bankrupting us. Already has, in fact. We're only able to stay afloat because we're able to pass our debt onto others by issuing US dollars diminished by inflation. (Not without historical precedent-the Weimar Republic purposefully pursued hyperinflation because they were using their worthless currency to pay war reparations to the French).

We have destroyed our Republic to maintain our Empire and while we lost the Republic, we're on the verge of losing the Empire we traded it for as well.

We need a period of consolidation and reorganization. We need to shed some obligations. To do everything at once ensures you do nothing well. We need to repair the foundations of this edifice or it all comes down.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Taiwan is way more important than Ukraine will ever be. We should have pulled out of that war yesterday
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ll delete my ARF account AND pay $1,000 to anyone willing to wager $1,000 or their favorite rifle and delete their account {account must be 2017 or older} if the USA manufactures the equivalent of Taiwan 3nm microchips in quantities the United States needs only for domestic uses before the year 2030

Any takers?

View Quote

They will be 2nm and build in Phenoix, AZ and Columbus, Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Not our circus not our monkeys. We should close all bases in taiwan and the middle east and anywhere else where we are hated. It's time we stop policing the world and start taking care of our own. Let them fight their own battles and solve their own problems.

Oh I know what's coming next, 'But day makes 99% of all da cheeps we use in our electronics.' Who. Fucking. Cares. We're perfectly capable of making our own shit. We should start doing it again.

Fuck taiwan.
View Quote

Do you honestly have a clue what is happening in the world?  Be honest, the last thing you would do is take care of our own. Would you buy a home and donate it to the homeless? You'd complain of the super high taxes, all but non-existent medical care, and eating potatoes three meals a day. We have no bases in Taiwan. Isolationism is a fantasy for those who want to destroy America. Be honest, would you be willing to give up all you have right now to live below the poverty line and have some elites decide what is best for you?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If we don't then where we gonna get microchips? And don't we have some treaty with em?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]

2 Carriers
10 Attack Subs
45-52 Surface Warships
400 aircraft
About 10-12k personnel.

View Quote

Where is your source? Just two carriers are 10,000+ sailors. Now tell us what would China lose. Let's start with a whole navy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Intel has a shit track record for promised release dates and performance hence their 9% market share https://www.techspot.com/news/101314-intel-ceo-claims-18a-node-least-match-tsmc.html

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Where is your source? Just two carriers are 10,000+ sailors. Now tell us what would China lose. Let's start with a whole navy.
View Quote

I’ve seen {some not all} war gaming list 2 carrier loss
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#28]

They will be 2nm and build in Phenoix, AZ and Columbus, Ohio.
View Quote

So we agreeing upon a wager?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]
We should make Taiwan the 51st state.

Wonderful people
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:

Wonderful people
View Quote

Maybe we should fix the existing 50 before we add another one to the collection
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#33]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:

Wonderful people
View Quote

We won't do that. But we will fight a war, lose the war, and import millions of them here. You know, like we do every time LOL.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:
If we don't then where we gonna get microchips? And don't we have some treaty with em?
View Quote

The Japanese in the 1860's were living at a Medieval level with no "industry" in a Western sense, whatsoever to speak of.

By 1905 they defeated a major European power with their own first class modern navy at the Battle of Tsushima.

We can make anything. But for the people who rule us who prevent us from making anything.

All it requires is the willpower to get it done.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#37]

To place your own interests first does not necessarily constitute isolationism.

Our Empire is bankrupting us. Already has, in fact. We're only able to stay afloat because we're able to pass our debt onto others by issuing US dollars diminished by inflation. (Not without historical precedent-the Weimar Republic purposefully pursued hyperinflation because they were using their worthless currency to pay war reparations to the French).

We have destroyed our Republic to maintain our Empire and while we lost the Republic, we're on the verge of losing the Empire we traded it for as well.

We need a period of consolidation and reorganization. We need to shed some obligations. To do everything at once ensures you do nothing well. We need to repair the foundations of this edifice or it all comes down.

View Quote

Empire? Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, I remember. and bunch of communist professors made that up to sell their rotten garbage. We are not struggling to pay the interest on our debt. A balanced budget is a novel concept. I'm all for it. There is just one problem, we can't even agree on cutting even 5% of the entitlement budget items. Even the Republicans can't, and won't make realistic cuts. Consider the Democrats' favorite cut, the military. When they make cuts what happens? Tyrants around the world see opportunity. Let them eat up some of our trade partners and see what will happen to our economy: ripple effect unemployment, homes lost, drop in exports, banks fold, the list would go on. What allies left will begin to make deals with our enemies, and the economic rope around our necks tightens more and more. We are the world's largest arms exporter. What happens if that was zeroed out?
Our Republic is still alive, weak but alive. There are consequences you have not considered. If we are willing to give it up for Esau's bowl of porridge, freedom goes too. You don't seem too concerned about that. Freedom is not a bargaining chip. You fight for it because the freedom of your loved ones depend on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:00:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vikingsouthpaw] [#38]

View Quote

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/publication/230109_Cancian_FirstBattle_NextWar.pdf?VersionId=WdEUwJYWIySMPIr3ivhFolxC_gZQuSOQ
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Great! We shouldn't have any assets in Taiwan.

So the taiwanese people bear no responsibility for their own country? Bullshit. They need to fight their own war for their own country. The US probably has weapons, vehicles and ammunition it could leave behind when it pulls its units out, there's the only support they should get.
View Quote

We abandoned Taiwan once already.

In a huge foreign policy failure, U.S. intelligence knew the communists were on the move in China, Truman ignored, and America looked away while China fell.

There were still a lot of American men and equipment in the area that could have tipped the scales.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:10:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#40]

The Japanese in the 1860's were living at a Medieval level with no "industry" in a Western sense, whatsoever to speak of.

By 1905 they defeated a major European power with their own first class modern navy at the Battle of Tsushima.

We can make anything. But for the people who rule us who prevent us from making anything.

All it requires is the willpower to get it done.
View Quote

And now look at em. The Japanese produce some of the finest material objects to have ever exist.  

Hell, I had an aunt my great uncle married while he was in the Navy during the 60's. She was born in Tokyo, lost every family member she ever had. She was the only survivor.

She survived the firebombs. Couple nukes later, and she still survived that , died at the age of 96.

I turned 40,  12 minutes ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Empire? Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, I remember. and bunch of communist professors made that up to sell their rotten garbage. We are not struggling to pay the interest on our debt. A balanced budget is a novel concept. I'm all for it. There is just one problem, we can't even agree on cutting even 5% of the entitlement budget items. Even the Republicans can't, and won't make realistic cuts. Consider the Democrats' favorite cut, the military. When they make cuts what happens? Tyrants around the world see opportunity. Let them eat up some of our trade partners and see what will happen to our economy: ripple effect unemployment, homes lost, drop in exports, banks fold, the list would go on. What allies left will begin to make deals with our enemies, and the economic rope around our necks tightens more and more. We are the world's largest arms exporter. What happens if that was zeroed out?
Our Republic is still alive, weak but alive. There are consequences you have not considered. If we are willing to give it up for Esau's bowl of porridge, freedom goes too. You don't seem too concerned about that. Freedom is not a bargaining chip. You fight for it because the freedom of your loved ones depend on it.
View Quote

Communism? lol. Here's an "ism" for you: Realism. Be a realist.

We're an Empire.

To be a friend and ally of the Roman American people is to be a vassal. We have client states all over the world. What other characterization would be more palatable to you?  Democracy Santa Claus?  It's cute that you talk in terms of political parties. As if they have any meaning. You're settling for the sizzle instead of the steak that is your birthright.  It's pathetic and I would feel sorry for you if your fear of the obvious wasn't so contemptable.

It's your fear that prevents you from seeing the obvious. I'm not saying you're a coward. What I am saying is that at present, you are a hostage to your fear.

Fortunately, I am not paralyzed by fear and can see the world as it actually is. Failure to do so enables the thieves and scoundrels who have wrought the damage to our once great Republic and rule in contempt of and with no regard to the consent of the governed.

Find your nads. Stare that scary truth in the face and deal with the world as it is. Be a realist.

Or argue with the other true believers in the cathedral about how many angels fit on the head of a pin whilst the Turks have already breached the wall.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Why in the World do you people think it would be a good idea to go to war with a country we are dependant on for virtually all manufacturing that matters, and which has the third largest stockpile of nuclear arms in the world?

We can defeat them by merely raising tariffs and building our own manufacturing base. No war necessary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#43]

If we don't honor our commitments, we can't expect anyone else to honor them either.

Either we have an imperfect international system based on binding agreements, or we have a chaotic international anarchy.

We achieved the Pax Americana by being willing to deal. It's been a pretty good run.

We dealt with the Soviets, who were way worse than the Chinese. (Pro Tip: up until 1956, the Chinese were subcontractors for the Soviets-anything they did up until 56 was under direct supervision/permission of the USSR).
View Quote

Commitments seem to come and go with what party occupies the White house now.

One party hates America and offers guilt money.

The other party loves America and offers strategic money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#44]

I’ve seen {some not all} war gaming list 2 carrier loss
View Quote

Then we lose 20% of our carrier force. China loses 100% of its carrier force. We lose 10 subs. What do they lose? In war, the goal is to win. No more cut-and-run wars. The point was you only considered what we might lose but ignored what they lose and still lose the war.

By the end of WWII Japan lost 334 warships. About 300,386 sailors died. The Germans lost 827 ships and over 100,000 sailors lost. Another 50,000 were captured. The US Navy lost almost 1000 ships. Over half were landing craft and support ships. We lost 62,614 sailors. Who won? If we had cut-and-run, what would the world be like? No one in their right mind would want that kind of world.

A war in the Pacific with China is going to be costly, but the world can not allow a Chinese victory, period. The only way we fight alone is if we screw our allies like some here advocate. They are clueless about what they wish for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#45]
Originally Posted By Rubik:
Why in the World do you people think it would be a good idea to go to war with a country we are dependant on for virtually all manufacturing that matters, and which has the third largest stockpile of nuclear arms in the world?

We can defeat them by merely raising tariffs and building our own manufacturing base. No war necessary.
View Quote

Japan was a tiny little country, there was no good reason for them to want to fight us to begin with.. I did my best at explaining to you  but they had a lot of heart. My grandfather killed the shit out of some Germans. Was there a good reason for that?  Was there a good reason to kill the British? I'm technically of German decent.  I Apologize, I don't know whether were friends or not, but I am trying.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:

Japan was a tiny little country, there was no good reason for them to want to fight us to begin with.. I did my best at explaining to you  but they had a lot of heart. My grandfather killed the shit out of some Germans. Was there a good reason for that?  Was there a good reason to kill the British? I'm technically of German decent.  I Apologize, I don't know whether were friends or not, but I am trying.
View Quote

Killing the British to come out from under their thumb? That was a pretty good reason I'd say. Otherwise we would be a bunch of cucks like the Canadians.

But there is a huge difference between that and fighting a bloody war in the Pacific over computer chips.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rubik:

View Quote

That is a great start to get us back on track to greatness.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Then we lose 20% of our carrier force. China loses 100% of its carrier force. We lose 10 subs. What do they lose? In war, the goal is to win. No more cut-and-run wars. The point was you only considered what we might lose but ignored what they lose and still lose the war.

By the end of WWII Japan lost 334 warships. About 300,386 sailors died. The Germans lost 827 ships and over 100,000 sailors lost. Another 50,000 were captured. The US Navy lost almost 1000 ships. Over half were landing craft and support ships. We lost 62,614 sailors. Who won? If we had cut-and-run, what would the world be like? No one in their right mind would want that kind of world.

A war in the Pacific with China is going to be costly, but the world can not allow a Chinese victory, period. The only way we fight alone is if we screw our allies like some here advocate. They are clueless about what they wish for.
View Quote

No major disagreement, just confirming a couple war games did feature our losing 2 carriers. It’s war games, what really happens remains to be seen. Our subs will be the tip of the spear imo
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
We may as well.  We're f_cking everything else up in the world.  May as well create ANOTHER war while Biden is in office.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Communism? lol. Here's an "ism" for you: Realism. Be a realist.

We're an Empire.

To be a friend and ally of the Roman American people is to be a vassal. We have client states all over the world. What other characterization would be more palatable to you?  Democracy Santa Claus?  It's cute that you talk in terms of political parties. As if they have any meaning. You're settling for the sizzle instead of the steak that is your birthright.  It's pathetic and I would feel sorry for you if your fear of the obvious wasn't so contemptable.

It's your fear that prevents you from seeing the obvious. I'm not saying you're a coward. What I am saying is that at present, you are a hostage to your fear.

Fortunately, I am not paralyzed by fear and can see the world as it actually is. Failure to do so enables the thieves and scoundrels who have wrought the damage to our once great Republic and rule in contempt of and with no regard to the consent of the governed.

Find your nads. Stare that scary truth in the face and deal with the world as it is. Be a realist.

Or argue with the other true believers in the cathedral about how many angels fit on the head of a pin whilst the Turks have already breached the wall.  

View Quote

Drivel, drivel, drivel. Go back to your Dungeons & Dragons fantasy. Leave reality for the adults.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top