Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/26/2024 3:11:04 PM EDT
If China strikes US assets as part of their campaign against Taiwan, should America fight back or withdraw from the Pacific?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
If China strikes US assets as part of their campaign against Taiwan, should America fight back or withdraw from the Pacific?
View Quote

How many world wars and millions have to be fought and have to die before you people stop fighting and dying for bankers?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Slightly different question that I expect will give very different answers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

How many world wars and millions have to be fought and have to die before you people stop fighting and dying for bankers?
View Quote
Back in the real world, fights may come to you whether you want them or not.

We have assets on Guam that are likely to be targeted immediately by China if they invade Taiwan.

Is it your opinion we should withdraw all assets from the Pacific preemptively so we can be sure our assets won't be struck?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to have an idea of how large an impact to not only the US, but to the world, a sudden stoppage of all of the integrated circuits, and other systems, would be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple flowchart for me.

Is the invaded area a US State or Territory? If Yes => War. If No => No war.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
the merican draft for WWIII with china and/or russia is gonna be epic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If China makes a move on Taiwan, whether they strike US forces preemptively or not, the US should use overwhelming military force against China, up to and including nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By colklink:
If China makes a move on Taiwan, whether they strike US forces preemptively or not, the US should use overwhelming military force against China, up to and including nuclear weapons.
View Quote

Waingro : I had to get it on. He was making a move. *I had to get it on.*
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been in two wars in my short life of 55 years old

We dont need to kill any more of our kids to do nothing in the end but get rubber dog shit cheaper
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#12]
What does a war with China in defense of Taiwan look like?  Is it limited to conventional arms, or does it go nuclear?  How long does that take?  Is the object to hold Taiwan until China gives up, or does the US invade?  How long would we be able to sustain the conflict?  If the US parks a carrier battle group off the shore of Taiwan and China starts launching missiles at it, I don’t see many scenarios where nukes don’t start flying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
I need to have an idea of how large an impact to not only the US, but to the world, a sudden stoppage of all of the integrated circuits, and other systems, would be.
View Quote
I think it would be pretty massive.

For the purposes of this thread, remember China has struck US assets and destroyed them pre-emptively as part of their invasion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

We dont need to kill any more of our kids to do nothing in the end but get rubber dog shit cheaper
View Quote
Should we remove all American assets from the Pacific to ensure they aren't struck by China?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
What does a war with China in defense of Taiwan look like?  Is it limited to conventional arms, or does it go nuclear?  How long does that take?  Is the object to hold Taiwan until China gives up, or does the US invade?  How long would we be able to sustain the conflict?  If the US parks a carrier battle group off the shore of Taiwan and China starts launching missiles at it, I don't see many scenarios where nukes don't start flying.
View Quote
No one knows where it will end. Everyone should recognize there is a good chance China will choose to involve us unless we completely leave the Pacific and become much more isolationist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
No one knows where it will end. Everyone should recognize there is a good chance China will choose to involve us unless we completely leave the Pacific and become much more isolationist.
View Quote

China state news already said no USN or military west of Hawaii - Guam is a U.S. territory- they don’t care
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

3nm microchips aren’t exactly rubber dog shit nor is security for South Korea and Japan 2 of our top 10 trade partners.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
the merican draft for WWIII with china and/or russia is gonna be epic.
View Quote

They need a draft just for Iran let alone either of those but a draft is not palatable to the US public
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What does a war with China in defense of Taiwan look like?  Is it limited to conventional arms, or does it go nuclear?  How long does that take?  Is the object to hold Taiwan until China gives up, or does the US invade?  How long would we be able to sustain the conflict?  If the US parks a carrier battle group off the shore of Taiwan and China starts launching missiles at it, I don't see many scenarios where nukes don't start flying.

They’re in Africa also, so we’d have to really pull back.  We’d have to renege on a lot of promises in the area as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#20]
View Quote

War or no war China attempting a military take over of Taiwan results in global depression not recession, depression as in 1930s style America not Obama 2009-2016
A Great Depression, 7 to 10 trillion economic loss and trade with Japan and South Korea lost for the rest of the century

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-09/economy-risks-latest-taiwan-war-would-cost-world-10-trillion

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

View Quote

At a bare minimum 87% of GD would not be involved in any fighting against China. Honestly more like 99.9%
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, we should!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:12:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#24]
It won't matter how we feel about it. If China moves on Taiwan.... They're going to strike American bases and assets in an attempt to diminish any quick response they think we'll make.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
America had to win at home first, looks like we lost.

So Taiwan is SOL
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:27:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#26]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

War or no war China attempting a military take over of Taiwan results in global depression not recession, depression as in 1930s style America not Obama 2009-2016
A Great Depression, 7 to 10 trillion economic loss and trade with Japan and South Korea lost for the rest of the century

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-09/economy-risks-latest-taiwan-war-would-cost-world-10-trillion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1678_jpeg-3170201.JPG
View Quote

China doesn’t even have to succeed and Japan projects their economy shrinks 30% in the first month and almost 50% after 6 weeks

https://www.pacom.mil/About-USINDOPACOM/USPACOM-Area-of-Responsibility/

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If China strikes our Navy who are near Taiwan and we counter by striking their Navy the question is does it remain a Naval conflict. If we strike China's mainland they will no doubt strike the US mainland and that could kick it all off. America has not had war here and today's Americans do not know real hardship.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#28]

They need a draft just for Iran let alone either of those but a draft is not palatable to the US public
View Quote
merican public don't have a say, chief.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#29]
We're broke.

Stop buying Chinese sh*t and implode them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#30]
Samsung or TSMC.
You can only pick 1.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's rephrase it to be more honest.

Are you willing to die to defend Taiwan?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#32]
If only Taiwan would let its citizens put a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#33]
We need to recognize who our true enemies in the world are who would love nothing more than to see our downfall and are actively working to try to make it happen.  China and Russia are certainly among them. War is ugly, in so many ways, but letting your enemies expand beyond their own borders is sitting back and watching your own destruction in progress.  Good people will die; awful people will benefit, but to look the other way as your enemy gains momentum is nothing short of foolish. Neville Chamberlain is someone more people need to be familiar with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck taiwan. Fuck china. Fuck iran. Fuck ukraine. Fuck russia. Fuck israel. Fuck Palestine. Fuck all of them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't lump Taiwan and other countries in the same basket.
Ideology is one thing. You can agree or disagree with a country and defend them based on that or not.

However, we rely heavily on Taiwan for our technology, which matters a lot more in the long run than ideology.

If you want to be selfish, you should want to defend them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
I would hope that a war with China would also end our enriching them through rubber dogshit or other commodities. They are our enemy. We need to recognize that and stop helping them strengthen. But cheap rubber dogshit is important to a lot of people, so I don't see that happening, even if conflict starts.  We don't have that level of resolve.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
We need to recognize who our true enemies in the world are who would love nothing more than to see our downfall and are actively working to try to make it happen.  China and Russia are certainly among them. War is ugly, in so many ways, but letting your enemies expand beyond their own borders is sitting back and watching your own destruction in progress.  Good people will die; awful people will benefit, but to look the other way as your enemy gains momentum is nothing short of foolish. Neville Chamberlain is someone more people need to be familiar with.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I would predict massive inflation, not a depression.  This country would be 110% employed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Nothing short of profound.

Originally Posted By letsjustexfil:
Let's rephrase it to be more honest.

Are you willing to die to defend Taiwan?

No.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
Fuck taiwan. Fuck china. Fuck iran. Fuck ukraine. Fuck russia. Fuck israel. Fuck Palestine. Fuck all of them.
View Quote

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madwis15] [#41]
When you consider that we abandoned Taiwan in the 70s and built up China, only to have China bite us in the ass...
I guess if we don't help defend them, we are pretty reprehensible as a nation.

Of course I may be a bit biased since my wife is from Taiwan and I love that place so much that we have plans to retire there if it hasn't been destroyed by China.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:

I would predict massive inflation, not a depression.  This country would be 110% employed.
View Quote

Possibly, either way, something not good

https://www.foxnews.com/media/america-risk-another-great-depression-taiwan-falls-china-jd-vance-warns.amp

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

We don't want China having control of chip production.

It would be better to nuke Taiwan to prevent China taking control of that critical infrastructure.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dumak:

We don't want China having control of chip production.

It would be better to nuke Taiwan to prevent China taking control of that critical infrastructure.  

View Quote

Please save the nukes for Three Gorges.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Should we preemptively move all US forces out of the Pacific and let China know they are free to take Taiwan and it will not be contested by the US?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Isolationism won’t work in the long run. It will only make it worse. I don’t think we have a real choice if China makes that move if they don’t strike US assets in the initial phase of an operation. They strike Taiwan and US ? It’s on. 2025 to 2026 are going to be interesting years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#47]
What does a war with China in defense of Taiwan look like?  Is it limited to conventional arms, or does it go nuclear?  How long does that take?  Is the object to hold Taiwan until China gives up, or does the US invade?  How long would we be able to sustain the conflict?  If the US parks a carrier battle group off the shore of Taiwan and China starts launching missiles at it, I don’t see many scenarios where nukes don’t start flying.
View Quote

And this will cause Russia to escalate in Europe...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Should we preemptively move all US forces out of the Pacific and let China know they are free to take Taiwan and it will not be contested by the US?
View All Quotes

Not our circus not our monkeys. We should close all bases in taiwan and the middle east and anywhere else where we are hated. It's time we stop policing the world and start taking care of our own. Let them fight their own battles and solve their own problems.

Oh I know what's coming next, 'But day makes 99% of all da cheeps we use in our electronics.' Who. Fucking. Cares. We're perfectly capable of making our own shit. We should start doing it again.

Fuck taiwan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Not our circus not our monkeys. We should close all bases in taiwan and the middle east and anywhere else where we are hated. It's time we stop policing the world and start taking care of our own. Let them fight their own battles and solve their own problems.

Oh I know what's coming next, 'But day makes 99% of all da cheeps we use in our electronics.' Who. Fucking. Cares. We're perfectly capable of making our own shit. We should start doing it again.

Fuck taiwan.
View Quote

We have no bases in Taiwan.
Actually it kinda is our circus since we fucking created the problem for them long ago.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#50]

At a bare minimum 87% of GD would not be involved in any fighting against China. Honestly more like 99.9%
View Quote

Exactly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top