User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 52
Posted: 3/26/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jinxsters]
Ship hit it allegedly?

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Loose cargo from the wreck is starting to wash up on shore. Free pelts!

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
So when they rebuild the bridge, will it still be the Francis Scott Key bridge or will they rename it to the James Weldon Johnson bridge?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slickbaby:
So when they rebuild the bridge, will it still be the Francis Scott Key bridge or will they rename it to the James Weldon Johnson bridge?  
View Quote

The Joseph R Biden Bridge
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#4]
Originally Posted By freerider04:

That's weird, whenever we fire up the mains and gens on my current ship, we get a nice cloud of black smoke. Same on the 6 other ships I've been on
View Quote
Not marine diesels but:

The Data center I'm working on now has about 22 very large back up generators, theses are all less than 4 years old and come equipped with all the EPA mandated emissions controls. When shore power is lost and they kick in you'll see very black plumes of exhaust for a short time as they come on line. The engines are running in open Loop Mode during startup (just like your car) until they come up to full operating temp/load etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

George Floyd memorial causeway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I know people have joked in this thread it will be named after Michelle Obama or some other tranny, but I think they should seriously consider one or all of the construction workers who suffered an awful death.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

It’s going to take a decade to investigate, let the litigation through the court system to work out, then finally get any insurance claim funded. If you can even squeeze blood out of a rock in this case.  

Are we good without a bridge for a decade or more? Or do we want a bridge?

That’s the question.  The proper way to do things would be to fed fund it.  Then have the insurance paid out to cover the costs once it’s done. Because what the bridge was formerly valued at (I guess 1.2b? Is what I read?) is not going to be the replacement cost and clean up cost.  I’m guessing between the clean and replacement we will be over 3B.

So it would be more fitting for insurance to pay for the replacement cost. Not the destroyed objects supposed  value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
Originally Posted By x248716x:
so Biden says US Govt will pay for 100% of the bridge rebuilding costs.

You think this was something they had actually discussed and agreed upon prior to his saying it? Or just him running off at the mouth and now we get to deal with it because "well he said it, no backing down now or the maga extremists win"?

It’s going to take a decade to investigate, let the litigation through the court system to work out, then finally get any insurance claim funded. If you can even squeeze blood out of a rock in this case.  

That’s the question.  The proper way to do things would be to fed fund it.  Then have the insurance paid out to cover the costs once it’s done. Because what the bridge was formerly valued at (I guess 1.2b? Is what I read?) is not going to be the replacement cost and clean up cost.  I’m guessing between the clean and replacement we will be over 3B.

So it would be more fitting for insurance to pay for the replacement cost. Not the destroyed objects supposed  value.

Yup.

This is what someone with a modicum of common sense, would understand.

The crazy conspiracy theories are stupid enough, but far too many people seem to base what little thinking they do, on their personal biases; “I like THIS guy, therefore I’m OK with everything he says and does, and will excuse anything, no matter how stupid”. “I don’t like that guy, so I’ll just hate everything they say and do, without stopping for a moment, to even consider something objectively”.

I don’t care who the person is, and whether they ‘claim’ to be on our side, or on the other side; I prefer to objectively note their statements and actions, and call out stupidity when I see it, or accept a statement or action on its merits and sensibility. While Biden has and does say a lot of dumb shit, this isn’t one of them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
https://abc7news.com/amp/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapse-how-many-died-in/14576300/

An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.
View Quote

So syringes and used masks will be floating into the bay by the thousands.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Freddie Gray Memorial Bridge - no vans allowed
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#10]

View All Quotes

You think this was something they had actually discussed and agreed upon prior to his saying it? Or just him running off at the mouth and now we get to deal with it because "well he said it, no backing down now or the maga extremists win"?

I don't disagree, but that's not what he said. Maybe that's what he meant and that's how it will go but forgive me for being a bit skeptical in this regard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buzz69] [#11]
nvm
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]

I couldn't estimate that construction cost of additional dolphins.   That being said:

https://infrastructurereportcard.org

Our infrastructure is failing across the country. Even if you say a group by contractors is biased, okay. But by how much?  We all know the government is incompetent.  We all know the bid system (cough: change orders) is broken.  

So the fact this doesn't happen more is fucking impressive to me.
View Quote

People would be horrified at the condition of a large percentage of the highway bridges in this country, many are the original bridges built under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 and were supposed to be updated or replaced by now.

As somebody that moves very heavy "Super Loads" across many of these bridges this is very concerning to me. I too am surprised we don't have very many outright failures considering we're placing loads on them that the designers never planned for and neglect and poor budgeting has left them in very bad condition.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't disagree, but that's not what he said. Maybe that's what he meant and that's how it will go but forgive me for being a bit skeptical in this regard.
View All Quotes

Please don’t think what I said, is a translation to what he meant.

Who the fuck knows what Biden or the federal government is going to do, or not do.  Or who’s going to pay for what, where, when and how.

I’m just giving you my .02 on how it “should” be done, under the circumstances we currently have in play.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

All that makes sense but the time factor is not something that I have seen yet.  Was it one minute or ten minutes?  From the unconfirmed reports...and we all know that initial reports can be wrong...it appears that something happened to stop traffic on the bridge which likely kept the fatality count lower.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neshomamench:
In a "Whatever it takes" situation, I can close down an any number of lane highway (in one direction) in less than a minute with a single police car and just me. There are a few methods but the "Traffic Break" is pretty standard.   There are risks, but it works.   Among the problems with a hazard up ahead, are you cant control the people ahead of where you start this procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjYQTkrdl8

How long it takes me to get there....well, that depends on how far away I am and what is in between me and there.

All that makes sense but the time factor is not something that I have seen yet.  Was it one minute or ten minutes?  From the unconfirmed reports...and we all know that initial reports can be wrong...it appears that something happened to stop traffic on the bridge which likely kept the fatality count lower.

The recording of radio traffic between dispatch and the officers responding to close down the bridge has been posted.  It includes them talking about the construction crews and also when the bridge collapsed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Is there any actual updates or is this just a purse swinging thread ?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#16]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Just seeing car bombings in pictures and news clips from the last 20 years is enough to tell me it was a bomb

engines do not separate from the frames from car crashes like this

https://i.imgur.com/yhQyg1o.jpeg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7empest:
Originally Posted By Subpar:
Has anyone found evidence linking this to the Bentley explosion at the US-Canada border a few months ago?

Just seeing car bombings in pictures and news clips from the last 20 years is enough to tell me it was a bomb

engines do not separate from the frames from car crashes like this

https://i.imgur.com/yhQyg1o.jpeg

Video captures deadly car crash, explosion at U.S.-Canada border crossing
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Who the fuck knows what Biden or the federal government is going to do, or not do.  Or who’s going to pay for what, where, when and how.

I’m just giving you my .02 on how it “should” be done, under the circumstances we currently have in play.
View All Quotes

We're on the same page.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CyberSEAL] [#18]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Key bridge taken out by rubber dogshit from China.
View Quote
Not an expert but I'm pretty sure that gets flown in from Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Wish people wouldn't get crossways over theories, and speaking in absolutes is what causes that.

There is a difference between probability, and possibility, and therein lies the gamblers fallacy, and other factors.

Probability is a human abstract construct, based upon observing patterns and subsequent statistical analysis.

Possibility, is rooted in the absolute concept of what can or cannot happen the next time you flip that coin.

Was it a deliberate action? 50/50, it either was or it wasn't.
Was it an accident?   Again, 50/50, it either was or it wasn't.

So until we definitely know, it's 50/50, period, there is no other possibility. So it's smart to keep an open mind, even when others don't and declare it was specifically one or the other. No reason to fight about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Not marine diesels but:

The Data center I'm working on now has about 22 very large back up generators, theses are all less than 4 years old and come equipped with all the EPA mandated emissions controls. When shore power is lost and they kick in you'll see very black plums of exhaust for a short time as they come on line. The engines are running in open Loop Mode during startup (just like your car) until they come up to full operating temp/load etc.
View All Quotes

That's weird, whenever we fire up the mains and gens on my current ship, we get a nice cloud of black smoke. Same on the 6 other ships I've been on
Not marine diesels but:

The Data center I'm working on now has about 22 very large back up generators, theses are all less than 4 years old and come equipped with all the EPA mandated emissions controls. When shore power is lost and they kick in you'll see very black plums of exhaust for a short time as they come on line. The engines are running in open Loop Mode during startup (just like your car) until they come up to full operating temp/load etc.

The CAT generators we installed do that as well.  It's not uncommon.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Every single ship, generator or small boat with a diesel I have started over the course of 23 years has belched a nice black cloud on start up before it turned to the steady stream of white indicating a cold engine.

It’s almost as if engines with mechanical injection pumps don’t over fuel briefly while turning over before the turbo spools up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#22]
Divers have recovered a couple bodies from a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Diver have recovered a couple bodies from a vehicle.
View Quote

I mean, I knew it would be this way, but it's still sad.

Dudes out there in the middle of the night fixing potholes, trying to pay the rent.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I mean, I knew it would be this way, but it's still sad.

Dudes out there in the middle of the night fixing potholes, trying to pay the rent.
View Quote

I'm waiting for more information to come out regarding them.
It will be a very bad optic if they all turned out to be illegals, but given the time stating how long ONE of them was in the country (18 years), I would think they all have citizenship or at least green cards.

Just working stiffs filling in potholes at 2 a.m. is a shitty enough job, getting dropped filling in potholes on a bridge at 2 a.m. must have been surreal for them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#25]
Originally Posted By brass:

I thought there was a $4 toll to cross the bridge?    Is it all EZ Pass or similar system and no more toll booths?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
If not already posted it will be interesting to see the timeline of the distress call from the ship, who received it and when the people at the ends of the bridge were notified so that they could stop traffic from crossing the bridge.  Is that a toll bridge because I have been on some long bridges and don't recall seeing anyone who could have stopped traffic.

Maybe it was police who stopped traffic but even at that, unless the distress call was well in advance of the collision, someone acted very quickly.

I'd like to know the same thing. Closing down a highway isn't quick unless you already have people in place.
There is no access control there. No gates. No tolls.
There are some of those big highway overhead LED signs as you approach. Could get a big "BRIDGE CLOSED" message up
there very quickly.
There is also a Highway Dept. depot just on the north end of the bridge. Some Troopers could have been there and moved to block traffic?

However, you can clearly see traffic going over the bridge, including a number of trucks and then two cars just moments before the collapse.
If they did stop traffic, it was with about 15 seconds to spare.

I thought there was a $4 toll to cross the bridge?    Is it all EZ Pass or similar system and no more toll booths?

If you notice, all the cars on the bridge were traveling the same direction.  That’s because the construction crew had the bridge shut down to one lane.  The traffic direction control was most likely timed signal lights on each end, holding traffic on one end while allowing entrance to the bridge on the other end.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  

Someone that controlled the switch for turning the light red remotely got the word just in time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Loose cargo from the wreck is starting to wash up on shore. Free pelts!

View Quote
If those are western coyotes I'd scoop them up. Looks like a few hundred depending on quality.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Construction crew would have been on a break and in their trucks when Baltimore's Key Bridge collapsed says colleague as first two workers presumed dead are named as father-of-six Miguel Luna, 49, and dad-of-two Maynor Suazo, 37

Luna lived in the United States for the past 19 years, Suazo for 18 years. Both were fathers

The six construction crew members, thrown into the frigid waters of the Patapsco River when a container ship collided with the bridge they were working on, were on their break when the tragedy occurred.

Miguel Luna, 49, originally of El Salvador and Maynor Suazo, 37, originally of Honduras were on the graveyard shift with the rest of their Hispanic crew when the Dali ship lost propulsion and caused the collapse of the iconic Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore.

Luna lived in the United States for the past 19 years, Suazo for 18 years. Both are fathers.  

A member of their team who happened to not be working in the early hours of Tuesday, Jesus Campos, said that his colleagues were on their meal break likely inside one of the service trucks at the time of the crash.

Campos paid tribute to his friends in an interview with The New York Times, saying that most in the job were sending money to relatives in their homelands. The group all worked for a company named Brawner.

'They were wonderful family people. Spouses, children. It's just a very, very bad day,' said Brawner executive Jeffrey Pritzker. The company regularly does upkeep on historical buildings such as the Key Bridge and were fixing potholes on Tuesday.

The first of the six: Miguel Luna, 49, was the first missing construction worker identified following the collapse

Maynor Suazo, 37, a native of Honduras has been named as the other man missing and presumed dead

'They only tell us that we have to wait, that for now, they can't give us information. [We feel] devastated, devastated because our heart is broken, because we don't know if they've rescued them yet. We're just waiting to hear any news,' Luna's wife, Maria del Carmen Castellon told Telemundo 44.

Suazo, a native of Honduras, was identified in his homeland as another worker who is missing and presumed to be dead. Suazo, a father of two, had been living in the US for the past 18 years.

Guatemala's consulate in Maryland said in a statement that two of the missing were citizens of the Central American nation. It did not provide their names but said consular officials were in contact with authorities and assisting the families.

Mexican officials have said that some of their citizens are missing but did not say how many.

Maynor Suazo's brother, Martin, told Honduran television that his brother was a native of Santa Barbara, in the western part of the country, Martin said that his brother emigrated in order to 'improve the quality of his life.'

Martin said that he plans to travel to the United States in order to repatriate his brother's remains.

In a separate interview with CNN, Martin confirmed that Suazo is survived by his son, 18, and daughter, five. In that interview, Martin reiterated his brother's desire for a better life in the US and said that he had also started his own maintenance company.

'Maynor Suazo was a guy with warmth, quality of people, entrepreneur with a vision and mission to serve our community,' a family friend wrote in a touching Facebook tribute.  

More
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Not marine diesels but:

View Quote

That’s interesting.

Most plums I have ever seen are purple.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By _B_:
If those are western coyotes I'd scoop them up. Looks like a few hundred depending on quality.
View Quote

Already cleaned by the salt water ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Were all the workers on the bridge in the USA illegally?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Dispatch audio released

Baltimore bridge collapse: Dispatch audio released of harrowing moment
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Based on the wording in the article, it appears they were not here legally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Transp Sec Pete Buttigieg Won't Say If Baltimore Bridge Collapse Will Prolong Supply Chain Problems

Transp Sec Pete Buttigieg Won't Say If Baltimore Bridge Collapse Will Prolong Supply Chain Problems
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#35]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

In what way?

To be legally employed they have to be legal, doesn't mean permanent citizen.  Just because someone is the citizen of another country doesn't mean they're illegal.

Regardless, lives were lost, tragically.  Fathers, husbands, sons...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse. The site is only 1 hr away from Washington DC.

Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#37]
The proper way to do things would be to fed fund it.  Then have the insurance paid out to cover the costs once it’s done. Because what the bridge was formerly valued at (I guess 1.2b? Is what I read?) is not going to be the replacement cost and clean up cost.  I’m guessing between the clean and replacement we will be over 3B.

View All Quotes
The proper way to do things would be to fed fund it.  Then have the insurance paid out to cover the costs once it’s done. Because what the bridge was formerly valued at (I guess 1.2b? Is what I read?) is not going to be the replacement cost and clean up cost.  I’m guessing between the clean and replacement we will be over 3B.

Insurance wouldn't pay the full replacement cost for a new bridge anyway because the replacement bridge will likely be higher, have more vehicle traffic lanes, be built to a higher quality, able to withstand a hit from a larger ship, use improved materials, etc. etc. etc.  So, better for the government to kick off the new construction rather than wait.

Originally Posted By realwar:
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse. The site is only 1 hr away from Washington DC.

I would argue he should stay away until at least the weekend as that area is a shitshow for traffic during the workdays, and that was when the bridge was open.  I can't imagine trying to navigate in there now.  Throw in the motorcade, street closings, increased security, etc. that's required for a Presidential visit and I would take the day off if I worked in the area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#38]

People would be horrified at the condition of a large percentage of the highway bridges in this country, many are the original bridges built under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 and were supposed to be updated or replaced by now.

As somebody that moves very heavy "Super Loads" across many of these bridges this is very concerning to me. I too am surprised we don't have very many outright failures considering we're placing loads on them that the designers never planned for and neglect and poor budgeting has left them in very bad condition.  

View Quote

The great Obama stimulus fixed all the roads and bridges in 2010.  The media told me so.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#39]
I know I know.. shit source

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246079/amp/Dali-cargo-ship-suffered-severe-electrical-problem-docked-Baltimore-days-prior-bridge-collapse-crash-saw-suffer-total-power-failure-loss-engine-failure-port-worker-says.html

The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker.

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash.

'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem,' Mitchell told the broadcaster. 'It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.'
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfFOSNNB8c
View Quote
My wife's grocery store put out that the prices of frozen foods and some produce will go up and supply will go down for the east coast, including stuff coming from countries south of us.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pukindog:

I know people have joked in this thread it will be named after Michelle Obama or some other tranny, but I think they should seriously consider one or all of the construction workers who suffered an awful death.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pukindog:

If any of them are illegal immigrants I think that could happen
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#42]

How much is it to add dolphins to an existing bridge?   I guess their lack is where I see the flaw, when ships got big enough to take it out they should have been added, especially with the other collapses from ship collisions in other laces both worldwide and in the US.   Always cheaping it out but I suppose they barely kept the potholes off the deck, let alone upgrading the bridge since "it's working fine".

The new one should have plenty around it.  

The other topic on casualties, the 6 lost, 2 rescued, were the other 12 on the ship when a bridge fell on them bringing total to 20?

View Quote

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida 44 years ago might have clued .gov into potential similar disaster scenarios .  Hopefully they at least crunched some numbers to get the odds of a repeat occurrence.  Maybe they could tell us what the odds were ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Insurance wouldn't pay the full replacement cost for a new bridge anyway because the replacement bridge will likely be higher, have more vehicle traffic lanes, be built to a higher quality, able to withstand a hit from a larger ship, use improved materials, etc. etc. etc.  So, better for the government to kick off the new construction rather than wait.

I would argue he should stay away until at least the weekend as that area is a shitshow for traffic during the workdays, and that was when the bridge was open.  I can't imagine trying to navigate in there now.  Throw in the motorcade, street closings, increased security, etc. that's required for a Presidential visit and I would take the day off if I worked in the area.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Sure. I agree with that.

I just know when the HOC truck hit bridge in Columbus carrying ethanol and scorched the bridge.  Ohio paid for the replacement. Then gave the bill to the insurance after it was done.  But it was exactly the same as the bridge the truck took out. No design changes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#45]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

If you notice, all the cars on the bridge were traveling the same direction.  That’s because the construction crew had the bridge shut down to one lane.  The traffic direction control was most likely timed signal lights on each end, holding traffic on one end while allowing entrance to the bridge on the other end.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  

Someone that controlled the switch for turning the light red remotely got the word just in time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
If not already posted it will be interesting to see the timeline of the distress call from the ship, who received it and when the people at the ends of the bridge were notified so that they could stop traffic from crossing the bridge.  Is that a toll bridge because I have been on some long bridges and don't recall seeing anyone who could have stopped traffic.

Maybe it was police who stopped traffic but even at that, unless the distress call was well in advance of the collision, someone acted very quickly.

I'd like to know the same thing. Closing down a highway isn't quick unless you already have people in place.
There is no access control there. No gates. No tolls.
There are some of those big highway overhead LED signs as you approach. Could get a big "BRIDGE CLOSED" message up
there very quickly.
There is also a Highway Dept. depot just on the north end of the bridge. Some Troopers could have been there and moved to block traffic?

However, you can clearly see traffic going over the bridge, including a number of trucks and then two cars just moments before the collapse.
If they did stop traffic, it was with about 15 seconds to spare.

The police were dispatched and blocked traffic.  They were talking about contacting the construction foreman to get the crew off when the bridge went down.

It sounded like they might have only got traffic on one side stopped before the collapse as they were talking about getting someone to come in from the other side to block it off after it was down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#46]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#47]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfFOSNNB8c
View Quote

To be fair to mayor Pete, how the hell would he know?

It's not like he's qualified to be the Transportation Secretary or anything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure it will have the name "Obama" in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

They didn't fabricate any of that stuff.

Which part of that do you think is impossible?  Or even difficult?
Do you think that getting the entire crew in on it would be impossible?  Every navy in history has figured out how to get a group of people onto a ship that all want to accomplish the same thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe731:
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
Please explain to me how official institutions and the main stream media fabricated the video evidence of this collision and the emergency calls made by the crew, along with the actions they took to try and stop the ship.

They didn't fabricate any of that stuff.

The captain turns off the lights using a light switch
He radios that they have lost power
He steers the ship towards the bridge
They fire up the emergency generator so the boomer with a computer crew will see the magic smoke on video
He knows that everything this ship does is tracked, so when he knows that it is too late to actually change course, he turns the lights on and steers the ship away from the bridge.  
The collision will still happen, but it looks like he was trying to avoid it.

Which part of that do you think is impossible?  Or even difficult?
Do you think that getting the entire crew in on it would be impossible?  Every navy in history has figured out how to get a group of people onto a ship that all want to accomplish the same thing.
Impossible starts with the first sentence, which assumes all vessel lights -nav lights, as well as deck and interior lights- are wired into a single switch, instead of at least a dozen (at minimum) switches wired into multiple different breakers that all managed to turn off simultaneously with no asynchronicity, which suggests a problem with the ship's electrical generation. Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing that probably can't be convinced to join the plot, then there's forgetting the VDR onboard as well as well as the forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place.

I could go on, but I think that's sufficient.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#50]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

That's interesting.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:
Not marine diesels but:

That's interesting.

Shit, I shouldn't type on my phone without reading glasses

Fixed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top