BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
So the Boomers will be the last generation who didn't live in their mom's basement through their adult lives, and made their own way?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MaximusEmanatus:
So the Boomers will be the last generation who didn't live in their mom's basement through their adult lives, and made their own way?
View Quote

lol nah
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#3]
View Quote

There are plenty of Boomers subsisting only off of Social Security, which is the Boomer version of living in their parents' basement.

edit: After a quick search, it looks like 40% of retirees live only off of Social Security.

Meaning that while the Boomers complain online about the "got-danged lazy Millennials", said Millennials are funding a large chunk of Boomers' Social Security.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

There are plenty of Boomers subsisting only off of Social Security, which is the Boomer version of living in their parents' basement.
View Quote

shotsfired.gif
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]

edit: After a quick search, it looks like 40% of retirees live only off of Social Security.

Meaning that while the Boomers complain online about the "got-danged lazy Millennials", said Millennials are funding a large chunk of Boomers' Social Security.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A bunch are on Medicaid too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
ah snap.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I see a bunch of “fuck you, pay me” memes in your future
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Yeah baby!! Keep that funding coming! Hoping you all get a good nights sleep for the workweek.

Meanwhile, at Casa Laydown....

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Almost as bad as living off government pensions, amirite?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My oh My.
Look how far we have come.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:

You misunderstand.  I'm sure I could make my way successfully if I were in my twenties today because I am determined and driven just like I was 30+ years ago.  Of course it would be different, but that's why it is important to adapt to reality, because reality sure isn't going to change to suit you.

Everyone has their challenges to overcome.  Were mine harder than my parents'?  In some ways yes, in others no.  Than my grandparents?  Absolutely not.  And neither do the millenials and Gen Z people have it harder than those who grew up in the great depression.

Work overtime, get a second job, or make do with less.  Just like when I took mandatory 10-15% pay cuts in lieu of layoffs several times in my career.

When I lost my job and was out of work for four months that's what happened.  I ended up going independent and contracted for two years and when my COBRA ran out I went without insurance.  Had to pay the Obamacare penalty.  

I moved from Chico where I made $33k/yr and paid $500/mo rent to Sunnyvale where I made $42k and paid $1100/mo.  Get a roommate or three.  I rented a bedroom in a co-worker's house the first few months in CA.

Yep.  Bidenomics sucks.  Democrat lockdowns suck.  Your generation voted for it.  Save money by doing your own maintenance.  Run errands on your way home from work.  Do what it takes.

Not following.  I had my car vandalized and parts stolen a couple of times, too.  Sucks.  If you got fined for working on your car on someone else's property...why didn't you do it at a family or friend's place?  Who thinks trespassing is ok?

Sucks.  Same with ageism in high tech (on top of all the SJW crap).  Do you think GenX hasn't had to deal with that stuff?  Push back.  Yes, that's risky, but nothing is going to change if everyone just bows their head and goes along.

Sounds like you knew the rules and tried to slip by.  How is not being accepted by .mil a new thing?

I guess I'm just a hard ass.  I expect adults to be able to find ways to improvise, adapt, and overcome obstacles in life.  The world is not fair.  Never has been.  Deal with it.  Whining and blaming others for problems does nothing to fix them.  Don't vote for idiots.  Encourage your friends to do the same.  
View Quote

You seem to have me confused with some other generation or person.  I have never lost a job or been laid off.  I have been sought after.  I’m not some loser that went from renting to renting.  When I rented in my first apartment I changed oil and manifold gaskets in the parking lot like many others.  I passed a SOF pipeline, later became an officer, and was in a nominative select position as the zero two in an O6 tier one command with a three star senior rater.  And put in that position while a rank below what the slot authorized.  Thanks for letting me know to “do what it takes” and telling me who “my generation” voted for when I was born in the 60s and am a one percenter thinking traditional young American adults and families are getting fucked.  I pay about 150K in federal income tax a year.  Any more tips?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HLB0302:

Millennial with $6k/mo mortgage checking in
View Quote

American? Lmao. Mine is $630/mth. 1400 sqft home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By samsilk:
I wonder if a big part is "boomers" only went to college if they were academically inclined or had financially successful parents, with few exceptions. Tho young men who weren't good students and didn't have a rich daddy got a job after high school. Maybe they went into manufacturing or retail. Maybe they learned a trade on the job. Maybe they went into the family business. The young women often married young, including those who went to college for the "MRS degree" if they were more interested in a family than a career. Maybe they worked as secretaries or in other jobs that didn't require a 4 year degree.

By contrast, "millennials" were raised to believe they needed a 4 year degree. They were discouraged from following blue collar career paths. We can argue about why that was, but when someone who wasn't in the top quartile academically in high school goes to college without a burning desire to pursue a profession that requires higher education, they're unlikely to magically become better students. As mediocre students, they're probably not getting academic scholarships, especially if they're White or Asian males. If they don't have rich parents or an athletic scholarship or GI benefits to foot the bill, that means borrowing the money.  

I'm not disputing that higher education costs have risen far more quickly than wages. However, I think there's an element of supply and demand behind that.  

View Quote

Boomers did not start the democratization of higher education.
In 1940 we were only tapping about 1/4 to 1/3 of our potential.
Various means were initiated that ameliorated this.
Boomers DID demand higher education as a right and entitlement in droves.
Both to dodge the draft and later for their kids.
And heavily demanded bullshit majors, easier requirements, etc.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Boomers did not start the democratization of higher education.
In 1940 we were only tapping about 1/4 to 1/3 of our potential.
Various means were initiated that ameliorated this.
Boomers DID demand higher education as a right and entitlement in droves.
Both to dodge the draft and later for their kids.
And heavily demanded bullshit majors, easier requirements, etc.

View Quote

The only people I've ever seen with unnatural colored hair are gen-x, boomers and older women. Red, purple, blue. Never seen a millennial or zoomer with colored hair despite the weird comments here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Do we know if anybody here actually read the article at the beginning? Just curious if we looked at what was posted or saw the words “boomers” and “millennials” and decided to scream at each other?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]

The fact that you can't tell that JLP3 copy/pasted the URL into the "Display Text" field in the URL link popup in the post editor, and vice-versa, tells me everything I need to know.

Copy/paste the display text shown in the post into your browser and it will bring you right to what he was talking about.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I clicked on the hotlink. No wonder most software is un-intuitive crap if this is what the meme generation thinks..
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Do we know if anybody here actually read the article at the beginning? Just curious if we looked at what was posted or saw the words “boomers” and “millennials” and decided to scream at each other?
View Quote

what article
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I just want to know why when I come on here and ask why a perfectly reasonable middle class house from the 80's now costs millions while I knock it into the top 10% of income earners and still can't afford it. Like, where is the math on that?

Instead of answers like "Oh the jackoffs in office who keep getting reelected for decades can't stop printing money."

We get "Fuck you lazy ass Xer/Millennial/Zoomer pay my social security and suck it up you little shit."

I wasn't asking about the social security. Me paying social security has nothing to do with why a house that would have been working class now needs an upper middle class income to afford. They are separate issues.

But, no. Let's keep the bullshit going and the assholes who caused all this, whether you voted for them or not, keep getting richer and richer as they drive everyone's quality of life down. That's a great fucking plan.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:
I just want to know why when I come on here and ask why a perfectly reasonable middle class house from the 80's now costs millions while I knock it into the top 10% of income earners and still can't afford it. Like, where is the math on that?

Instead of answers like "Oh the jackoffs in office who keep getting reelected for decades can't stop printing money."

We get "Fuck you lazy ass Xer/Millennial/Zoomer pay my social security and suck it up you little shit."

I wasn't asking about the social security. Me paying social security has nothing to do with why a house that would have been working class now needs an upper middle class income to afford. They are separate issues.

But, no. Let's keep the bullshit going and the assholes who caused all this, whether you voted for them or not, keep getting richer and richer as they drive everyone's quality of life down. That's a great fucking plan.
View Quote

The American populace truly is one giant bucket of crabs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i often think of getting a job at Costco, sleeping in my cah in their pahkin' lot, and frequenting the Costco food court for lunch and dinner.

when i see peeps with their $87,000 horse trailers with tack rooms that are nicer than anywhere i've ever lived who're spending the night at Costco in said tack room in said horse trailer i think:  wowza, muffucka's living the dream.
View Quote

Look motherfucker, you think spending the weekend in some horse trailer is all fun and games!?!

My new little trailer hasn’t even had the extra insulation and AC installed yet.

Because I spent over 10K cash on my wife’s birthday present that isn’t even finished yet.  Do you millennial suck ass whiny losers even understand sacrifice? NO!  You are too busy dyeing your hair purple while slurping your big fancy latte from Starbucks while shopping for your emotional support iguana as you enter the workplace looking for a safe place because you can’t be an AmeriCAN.  You are little gender confused AmeriCAN’TS.  So you can walk around staring at your fancy new IPhone being an AmeriCUNT.  Stop being little suck at life cunts.  My pager still works just fine.

I’m even thinking of selling my vintage double red Seadweller for over 10 times what I paid  for it 25 years ago and using the proceeds to finish restoring my fourth vintage muscle car in my detached shop/garage with 1000sf man cave over it.  

Why should I have to sacrifice this?

That will leave me with just one Rolex.  And it’s only a five digit.

Meaning my only other Swiss vintage will be a NOS 1968 Omega SM300.

And back to trailers.  While my big one does have the extra insulation and AC, it only has the manual jack and not electric.  It’s brutal.

Just because my college, first apartment, first home, first nice home, and country estate were a fraction proportionally of what someone younger would have to pay now, has nothing to do with why you suck so much.

Just because I’m smarter than over 99.5% of people, am better educated than over 98% of people, was born at time that made many of my purchases a far more obtainable deal than now, look like Jon Snow and have a Podrick like effect on women, doesn't mean anyone now couldn’t do what I did if they just put in the time and effort.  Instead of whining about your shitty job selling ginsu knives, ABW baby.  Always Be Winning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
fuck boomers.

old fucks had it so fuckin easy
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Look motherfucker, you think spending the weekend in some horse trailer is all fun and games!?!

My new little trailer hasn’t even had the extra insulation and AC installed yet.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Because I spent over 10K cash on my wife’s birthday present that isn’t even finished yet.  Do you millennial suck ass whiny losers even understand sacrifice? NO!  You are too busy dyeing your hair purple while slurping your big fancy latte from Starbucks while shopping for your emotional support iguana as you enter the workplace looking for a safe place because you can’t be an AmeriCAN.  You are little gender confused AmeriCAN’TS.  So you can walk around staring at your fancy new IPhone being an AmeriCUNT.  Stop being little suck at life cunts.  My pager still works just fine.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’m even thinking of selling my vintage double red Seadweller for over 10 times what I paid  for it 25 years ago and using the proceeds to finish restoring my fourth vintage muscle car in my detached shop/garage with 1000sf man cave over it.  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And back to trailers.  While my big one does have the extra insulation and AC, it only has the manual jack and not electric.  It’s brutal.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Just because my college, first apartment, first home, first nice home, and country estate were a fraction proportionally of what someone younger would have to pay now, has nothing to do with why you suck so much.

Just because I’m smarter than over 99.5% of people, am better educated than over 98% of people, was born at time that made many of my purchases a far more obtainable deal than now, look like Jon Snow and have a Podrick like effect on women, doesn't mean anyone now couldn’t do what I did if they just put in the time and effort.  Instead of whining about your shitty job selling ginsu knives, ABW baby.  Always Be Winning.
View Quote

Man I’m jealous of the watches. Best I could get was a Chinese made automatic watch for $100.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Spyider:
fuck boomers.

old fucks had it so fuckin easy
View Quote

Why do you hate your parents so much??
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Do we know if anybody here actually read the article at the beginning? Just curious if we looked at what was posted or saw the words "boomers" and "millennials" and decided to scream at each other?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#26]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View All Quotes
i often think of getting a job at Costco, sleeping in my cah in their pahkin' lot, and frequenting the Costco food court for lunch and dinner.

when i see peeps with their $87,000 horse trailers with tack rooms that are nicer than anywhere i've ever lived who're spending the night at Costco in said tack room in said horse trailer i think:  wowza, muffucka's living the dream.

lol. some GigaChad™ will be along shortly to inform you not only how big of a loser poor you actually are while simultaneously pulling out his own (real or imagined) flex on the poors. Bonus points if they can work in a cherry picked if not wholly fictional anecdotal counter point at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]

My new little trailer hasn't even had the extra insulation and AC installed yet.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Because I spent over 10K cash on my wife's birthday present that isn't even finished yet.  Do you millennial suck ass whiny losers even understand sacrifice? NO!  You are too busy dyeing your hair purple while slurping your big fancy latte from Starbucks while shopping for your emotional support iguana as you enter the workplace looking for a safe place because you can't be an AmeriCAN.  You are little gender confused AmeriCAN'TS.  So you can walk around staring at your fancy new IPhone being an AmeriCUNT.  Stop being little suck at life cunts.  My pager still works just fine.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I'm even thinking of selling my vintage double red Seadweller for over 10 times what I paid  for it 25 years ago and using the proceeds to finish restoring my fourth vintage muscle car in my detached shop/garage with 1000sf man cave over it.  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

That will leave me with just one Rolex.  And it's only a five digit.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And back to trailers.  While my big one does have the extra insulation and AC, it only has the manual jack and not electric.  It's brutal.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Just because I'm smarter than over 99.5% of people, am better educated than over 98% of people, was born at time that made many of my purchases a far more obtainable deal than now, look like Jon Snow and have a Podrick like effect on women, doesn't mean anyone now couldn't do what I did if they just put in the time and effort.  Instead of whining about your shitty job selling ginsu knives, ABW baby.  Always Be Winning.
View All Quotes

My new little trailer hasn't even had the extra insulation and AC installed yet.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4657.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Because I spent over 10K cash on my wife's birthday present that isn't even finished yet.  Do you millennial suck ass whiny losers even understand sacrifice? NO!  You are too busy dyeing your hair purple while slurping your big fancy latte from Starbucks while shopping for your emotional support iguana as you enter the workplace looking for a safe place because you can't be an AmeriCAN.  You are little gender confused AmeriCAN'TS.  So you can walk around staring at your fancy new IPhone being an AmeriCUNT.  Stop being little suck at life cunts.  My pager still works just fine.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4661.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I'm even thinking of selling my vintage double red Seadweller for over 10 times what I paid  for it 25 years ago and using the proceeds to finish restoring my fourth vintage muscle car in my detached shop/garage with 1000sf man cave over it.  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/026BE10A-AF98-4BE5-BC3A-C9B0C376BEAC.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/.highres/83BED49B-F986-425E-9ADF-FA35CC29412F_zpspzfiev1l.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/ECE14076-B26E-44A3-844C-11CB15EA5CD6_zpswa8fcdxh.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And back to trailers.  While my big one does have the extra insulation and AC, it only has the manual jack and not electric.  It's brutal.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_2689.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Just because I'm smarter than over 99.5% of people, am better educated than over 98% of people, was born at time that made many of my purchases a far more obtainable deal than now, look like Jon Snow and have a Podrick like effect on women, doesn't mean anyone now couldn't do what I did if they just put in the time and effort.  Instead of whining about your shitty job selling ginsu knives, ABW baby.  Always Be Winning.

watches are fake

cant even swim laps in that pool

trailers look like uhauls

abs too cut

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]

lol. some GigaChad  will be along shortly to inform you not only how big of a loser poor you actually are while simultaneously pulling out his own (real or imagined) flex on the poors. Bonus points if they can work in a cherry picked if not wholly fictional anecdotal counter point at the same time.

View All Quotes

lol. some GigaChad  will be along shortly to inform you not only how big of a loser poor you actually are while simultaneously pulling out his own (real or imagined) flex on the poors. Bonus points if they can work in a cherry picked if not wholly fictional anecdotal counter point at the same time.

Ah damn

I took the "actually" bend

screwed that up

sorry guys
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

Our Sizzler just closed in the last few years.
View Quote

Our youth will never know the joy of checking their balance on a new fangled ATM, taking out 40$ of their $40.87 balance, filling the tank of their  ‘85 IROC-Z they bought 1 year old with 9,000 miles on it for 10K, slapping in that INXS cassette that chicks loved, picking up an 18 year old HS student at the mall, taking her out to dinner at Ryan’s Steakhouse, then a movie and sharing a popcorn and drink, and fucking her senseless in the laid down passenger seat, and having a bunch of money left over.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Our youth will never know the joy of checking their balance on a new fangled ATM, taking out 40$ of their $40.87 balance, filling the tank of their  ‘85 IROC-Z they bought 1 year old with 9,000 miles on it for 10K, slapping in that INXS cassette that chicks loved, picking up an 18 year old HS student at the mall, taking her out to dinner at Ryan’s Steakhouse, then a movie and sharing a popcorn and drink, and fucking her senseless in the laid down passenger seat, and having a bunch of money left over.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

Our Sizzler just closed in the last few years.

That sounds based as all get out.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I’d do some wild shit for an IROC-Z
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

The firebirds are the better car. Less collector interest too so they are way cheaper. At least at this point in time.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

Ah damn

screwed that up

sorry guys
View All Quotes

Ah damn

screwed that up

sorry guys

It's okay. The bonus wasn't much anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#34]

The firebirds are the better car. Less collector interest too so they are way cheaper. At least at this point in time.

View Quote

Yeah but it’s not an IROC-Z

My actual dream car is a Viper ACR tho, that’ll never happen
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

eh, the ROC fascination wears off fast when you start taking all the OEM garbage off and putting on good parts. The Formulas and T/As are literally the same car with different headlights.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Boomer college years are early Gen X. 1982-1986
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

The term for what’s going on is “K shaped economy”. The top third of Millennials and Zoomers are doing significantly better than their parents while the bottom 2/3 (most) are doing much worse. The dissolution of the middle class didn’t make everyone poorer, a significant minority of them moved into the upper middle class.

And that’s who the economy caters to. The upper middle class is large enough to put upward pressure on the price of everything. If “starter” homes are being listed for $350k and immediately being sold, why would the cost of houses go down? Same with cars and college tuition,

Supply and demand is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#38]

eh, the ROC fascination wears off fast when you start taking all the OEM garbage off and putting on good parts. The Formulas and T/As are literally the same car with different headlights.
View Quote

Fair enough. There’s a bunch of other cars I’d rather have before an IROC, but it’s definitely one I’ve found to be cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Varmint-Hunter] [#39]
Gen-X here. I didn't buy my first home until I was 48yo. California prices never gave me the opportunity. But, I was able to save and then move out of State. Current home cost $213k total.

My daughter didn't fuck around during high school and earned a full scholarship to University. She is now 26 and makes over 6 figures, but she still works hard. She is saving for a house.

One thing my parents didn't do while I was growing up was buy BS things that they didn't need (not boomers). They saved and stretched every dollar they had. Too much money today is spent on shit you either don't need, can do cheaper at home, or is lost a little at a time "buying" apps/music/streaming/subscriptions/new car leases/etc. Force yourself to live frugally for 8-10 years and you can save quite a bit. If you are underemployed, work on that as well.  

Around here, I see young working men pull into gas stations with their huge pavement princess bro truck, paying for diesel, a few cans of energy drinks, some tins of chew and $3.00 a stick Slim-Jims. Forget the gas and truck payment. These $15.00 an hour workers are spending two hours worth of pay on gas station priced crap. There has to be a severe change in habits to do better in today's world.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:25:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#40]
Originally Posted By ButterBacon:

The term for what’s going on is “K shaped economy”. The top third of Millennials and Zoomers are doing significantly better than their parents while the bottom 2/3 (most) are doing much worse. The dissolution of the middle class didn’t make everyone poorer, a significant minority of them moved into the upper middle class.

And that’s who the economy caters to. The upper middle class is large enough to put upward pressure on the price of everything. If “starter” homes are being listed for $350k and immediately being sold, why would the cost of houses go down? Same with cars and college tuition,

View All Quotes

How does that explain the consumer debt problems of the last year or two? Is most of that upper middle class actually upper middles class or acting like it on what was cheap debt?

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Fair enough. There’s a bunch of other cars I’d rather have before an IROC, but it’s definitely one I’ve found to be cool.
View All Quotes

They are fun cars to tinker with. Very forward thinking architecture for the suspension considering when it was designed and it's direct contemporaries. That can be made to handle extremely well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#42]

watches are fake

cant even swim laps in that pool

trailers look like uhauls

abs too cut

View Quote

It’s all about sacrifice.

Her little coi pond is not good for swimming.
So I had to get a lap pool.

And I get lots of watches just in case some are fake.

And I had to make a bigger pond so I could have bass ans bluegill that wouldn’t eat her fancy ass wimp millennial coi fish.

I would not even notice the current economy if I was starting out as a young adult with a young family because of my superiority.
My life has had nothing to do with the more advantageous economy I have experienced.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#43]

They are fun cars to tinker with. Very forward thinking architecture for the suspension considering when it was designed and it's direct contemporaries. That can be made to handle extremely well.
View Quote

Yeah I look forward to the day when I’m not scrounging to get by so I can actually pursue my hobbies like wrenching for fun. For now I settle with fixing things when they break.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#44]

It’s all about sacrifice.

Her little coi pond is not good for swimming.
So I had to get a lap pool.

And I get lots of watches just in case some are fake.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4266.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4266.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_3859_wuZsoonWuGEadcn1RkGsGT.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_3859_wuZsoonWuGEadcn1RkGsGT.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/0EC397E8-0432-4103-81F3-32DD37268A72.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/0EC397E8-0432-4103-81F3-32DD37268A72.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/BC889007-3F50-450C-A8BE-ACF0E962D4DD.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/BC889007-3F50-450C-A8BE-ACF0E962D4DD.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/174EB865-8C4E-4DF1-B714-0FBFA48532EF.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/174EB865-8C4E-4DF1-B714-0FBFA48532EF.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/17473896-F75F-476E-99A1-977C80E14600.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/17473896-F75F-476E-99A1-977C80E14600.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/702DE6A7-0AE4-42DE-BC3E-61E05FB0A5C5.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/702DE6A7-0AE4-42DE-BC3E-61E05FB0A5C5.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/1C41C120-7559-41B4-A0F2-7EC15F54D135.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/1C41C120-7559-41B4-A0F2-7EC15F54D135.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/15E811A3-D55A-456C-B26F-A7F8B7198887_zpsdnyde1cw.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/15E811A3-D55A-456C-B26F-A7F8B7198887_zpsdnyde1cw.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/6A66C015-E82A-4CD3-B66F-0B955B357BAE_zpsvlek2ljr.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/6A66C015-E82A-4CD3-B66F-0B955B357BAE_zpsvlek2ljr.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And I had to make a bigger pond so I could have bass ans bluegill that wouldn’t eat her fancy ass wimp millennial coi fish.

I would not even notice the current economy if I was starting out as a young adult with a young family because of my superiority.
My life has had nothing to do with the more advantageous economy I have experienced.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4266.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4266.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_3859_wuZsoonWuGEadcn1RkGsGT.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_3859_wuZsoonWuGEadcn1RkGsGT.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/0EC397E8-0432-4103-81F3-32DD37268A72.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/0EC397E8-0432-4103-81F3-32DD37268A72.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/BC889007-3F50-450C-A8BE-ACF0E962D4DD.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/BC889007-3F50-450C-A8BE-ACF0E962D4DD.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/174EB865-8C4E-4DF1-B714-0FBFA48532EF.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/174EB865-8C4E-4DF1-B714-0FBFA48532EF.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/17473896-F75F-476E-99A1-977C80E14600.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/17473896-F75F-476E-99A1-977C80E14600.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/702DE6A7-0AE4-42DE-BC3E-61E05FB0A5C5.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/702DE6A7-0AE4-42DE-BC3E-61E05FB0A5C5.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/1C41C120-7559-41B4-A0F2-7EC15F54D135.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/1C41C120-7559-41B4-A0F2-7EC15F54D135.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/15E811A3-D55A-456C-B26F-A7F8B7198887_zpsdnyde1cw.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/15E811A3-D55A-456C-B26F-A7F8B7198887_zpsdnyde1cw.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/6A66C015-E82A-4CD3-B66F-0B955B357BAE_zpsvlek2ljr.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Watches/.highres/6A66C015-E82A-4CD3-B66F-0B955B357BAE_zpsvlek2ljr.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View Quote

Someone likes the classic divers. Not that I blame you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#45]

How does that explain the consumer debt problems of the last year or two? Is most of that upper middle class actually upper middles class or acting like it on cheap debt?

View All Quotes

How does that explain the consumer debt problems of the last year or two? Is most of that upper middle class actually upper middles class or acting like it on cheap debt?

Didn’t look into that specifically. I’d just assume it was debt keeping up with inflation

But debt is a common reason why people with upper middle class incomes don’t have actual wealth. A lot of these people try to act like how they imagine upper class people do, but in actuality upper class people use their money to make even more money. Every dollar you spend on consumption is a dollar you aren’t investing.

Anecdotally I’ve heard billionaires tend to be pretty stingy even with small costs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Varmint-Hunter:
Gen-X here. I didn't buy my first home until I was 48yo. California prices never gave me the opportunity. But, I was able to save and then move out of State. Current home cost $213k total.

My daughter didn't fuck around during high school and earned a full scholarship to University. She is now 26 and makes over 6 figures, but she still works hard. She is saving for a house.

One thing my parents didn't do while I was growing up was buy BS things that they didn't need (not boomers). They saved and stretched every dollar they had. Too much money today is spent on shit you either don't need, can do cheaper at home, or is lost a little at a time "buying" apps/music/streaming/subscriptions/new car leases/etc. Force yourself to live frugally for 8-10 years and you can save quite a bit. If you are underemployed, work on that as well.  

Around here, I see young working men pull into gas stations with their huge pavement princess bro truck, paying for diesel, a few cans of energy drinks, some tins of chew and $3.00 a stick Slim-Jims. Forget the gas and truck payment. These $15.00 an hour workers are spending two hours worth of pay on gas station priced crap. There has to be a severe change in habits to do better in today's world.
View Quote

It's going to take another financial calamity like 2008 to bring some sense to these people. I was just getting my real legs under myself financially when that all went down. Watching people losing cars to the repo man in the parking lot. Houses foreclosed on and people losing their shirt to get out from under it. Marriages wrecked because the out of control spending finally came back around to bite them in the ass.

Save for retirement? Nope. Spend, spend spend. Have 87% of your net worth tied up in some house. Nothing bad is going to happen when we brrrrrtttt these printers. Oh damn inflation better hike rates a bit but not too much cause we can't crash the whole thing oh shit we're still brrrrrrtttt on that printer rate hikes didn't do shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:44:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#47]

Yeah I look forward to the day when I’m not scrounging to get by so I can actually pursue my hobbies like wrenching for fun. For now I settle with fixing things when they break.
View All Quotes

You'll get there brother. I have an inkling The GigaChad™ haters are at best 6-8 paychecks away from ruin in reality anyway, most probably less so.

It's all so fake.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#48]

That sounds based as all get out.

View Quote

Being a teenager in 80s America was fucking awesome.
It’s what I wanted for my kids, grandkids, and future generations of Americans.
And it’s been stolen from them.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Yeah I was just a little shit in the 80's but I remember my older cousins and my parents friends kids who were teenagers always looked like they were having a blast. When I was a teen in the 90's it certainly didn't seem as cool as I thought it looked or how people I talked to remembered being a teenager. Going all the way back to the 60's. Maybe my expectations were too high. I get accused of that a lot on here.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Yeah I was just a little shit in the 80's but I remember my older cousins and my parents friends kids who were teenagers always looked like they were having a blast. When I was a teen in the 90's it certainly didn't seem as cool as I thought it looked or how people I talked to remembered being a teenager. Going all the way back to the 60's. Maybe my expectations were too high. I get accused of that a lot on here.

View Quote

Man I wasn’t even an idea in the 80s lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top