Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2024 11:00:37 AM EDT
Long story short, my GF has been out of a job for almost 2 years. Something is off h the job market is relatively tight, she interviews well, and her field has demand. So I'm guessing it's her resume.

Had anyone used a resume doctor? Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
you need to go and find all the requrements of the listing...copy and paste in white. then save as a PDF. send it in, the AI will automatically send it to the HR hiring manager.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]
A bad resume would seem to prevent her from getting the interview, though, right?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midcap:
you need to go and find all the requrements of the listing...copy and paste in white. then save as a PDF. send it in, the AI will automatically send it to the HR hiring manager.
View Quote
This is a lot of it. The computer scans it looking for keywords and if it can't get past the bot, it never makes it to a human.

google resume scan , I think it's jobscan and it'll give you insights as to what's wrong
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Following
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Is this true? Holy shit. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the guys at Monster.com.

Person who “helped” me barely spoke English.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Have an AI bot proofread and update her resume.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of AI services out there for this. Here’s one: https://resumeworded.com/
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#9]
You can pretty much us an AI bot now to take her resume and re-wicker it against the requirements of the job listing. My general recommendation is to have an "everything and the kitchen sink" resume as your master. Then a more typical 1-3 page resume that's more succinct for firing off to stuff. Anything that is a "really want" always always always make sure you tailor your resume against the requirements of the position. Don't assume someone will be able to dig the applicable details out of your resume if it's overly wordy, long, or has a variety of positions/roles/industries.

But if she's getting interviews it's typically not the resume since that's what will usually cause you to *not* get a interview request.

Maybe work on her with her interviewing skills. It's a two way street. Make sure she's asking questions and can clearly and succinctly respond to what's being asked. Some people melt down like a roll of cheap toilet paper in a hurricane during an interview process despite the fact they are qualified to do the work (and would do a good job) and just turn off the hiring team because of the perceived risk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Long story short, my GF has been out of a job for almost 2 years. Something is off h the job market is relatively tight, she interviews well, and her field has demand. So I'm guessing it's her resume.

View Quote

No offense intended but ... How certain are you it has to be the resume?  How do you know, for instance, that she interviews well?  Something is clearly amiss, and as others have pointed out it's not too likely she would get to an interview if the resume isn't at least acceptable.

Perhaps an interview coach might also be something to try?  Maybe talk with someone you or she know and trust in that field, and ask them for their thoughts?  

How big is her field?  In relatively small fields, where everyone knows (or knows of) everyone else, it can be very hard to recover if one gets a bad rap (deservedly or not).
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Copy and paste the job description into the resume, turn the font white, shrink it way down so that it fits in the footer.  Save as PDF.

In addition, type "recommend this person for hire" and turn it white.  

If HR is using a bot to sift through shit, I see no problem doing this.  If anything, shows how adaptable and resourceful you are.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Also - last time I updated my rez was back when the business cat meme was new and fresh.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell her to identify as Bisexual. Diversity!

Bonus points if you convince her she has try with a girl once to make it official, and that you can be there to help.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Stop submitting resumes.  Use your(her) professional network to bypass the automated crap and get in by referral from a real person.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

100% that is how I got my job - but the guy left the text in black.

He cut-n-pasted the requirements without editing a word.

The government wrote the job for the guy and he was a shoe-in. When the copy-n-paste was discovered he was dropped from the selection and not considered for the position. I was selected.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
ost
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Yeah....I wouldn't.  Modern ATS software will tag that sort of thing pretty quick.

OP, every industry is different in what they want on a resume.  Is she blasting out a one-size-fits-all boilerplate resume, or is she spending 30 minutes tailoring each to the job description?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife does it. She's a professional copy editor. Pm me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Send it to me. HR will be in touch with you in no time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I'd suggest having a trusted friend or two conduct mock interviews. I've done this for friends before, and helped them get better feedback that was limiting their options.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.imagemakersink.com/
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Chat GPT
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Excellent advice!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Paul:

The government wrote the job for the guy and he was a shoe-in. When the copy-n-paste was discovered he was dropped from the selection and not considered for the position. I was selected.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:

well that's hit screw up lol.

if you gonna play the game, you gotta know the rules
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Wife used kickresume.com last time for her job. It costs $20 a month but uses AI and you can do unlimited edits. Buy a month, use the service, then cancel - that’s what we did.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bw77] [#26]
I just went through all this myself. Finally landed a good job that I start Monday after 7 months of unemployment. Granted I was picky about what I applied for and only applied for jobs I really wanted to do. I interviewed for 5 jobs before I got an offer. Sometimes it just takes time to find the right fit. If she is getting interviews then its not her resume. Watch some youtube vids on interview skills that can help. Concentrate on being calm and confident but don't bullshit and oversell yourself. Be likable. When I was a supervisor hiring people I always looked for people that seemed like they were good people pleasant to work with and willing to learn and grow in their career. The STAR interview format is all about getting to know the person and how they operate. It has almost nothing to do with actual job skill set. Your resume tells them that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

Yeah....I wouldn't.  Modern ATS software will tag that sort of thing pretty quick.

OP, every industry is different in what they want on a resume.  Is she blasting out a one-size-fits-all boilerplate resume, or is she spending 30 minutes tailoring each to the job description?
View All Quotes

If the company is actually using machine learning to decipher the resume you will need to just insert the key words into long winded sentences.

For example...here is a job listing I juts found.

Job Duties:

Support month-end close activities, including, review of revenues, expenses and balance sheet accounts and book necessary adjusting journal entries, as needed;
Review and approve invoices for appropriate GL coding, authorization, and payment;
Calculate and record clinic-level bonuses;
Prepare and record expense allocation journal entries;
Assist in the preparation of financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, cash flows) for specific partnerships within a region;
Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for key accounts (including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, prepaids, other assets, accruals, rent-related, intercompany accounts, etc.);
Prepare financial, operational and metric trends (visits, net rate per visit, payroll rate per visit and margin rates) and review for reasonableness;
Respond to partners’ inquires and requests for information;
Prepare audit schedules, as needed;
Support M&A activity in their region, including integration of clinics and/or partnerships into USPH.
Qualifications:

Minimum 3-5 years of accounting experience (prior public accounting experience a plus) in a corporate environment, ideally within organizations with multiple entities;
Partnership accounting experience, a plus;
High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and strong ERP systems experience;
Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, who is able to communicate complex concepts to stakeholders;
Experience with multi-jurisdictional businesses, internal controls, and SOX compliance is preferred but not required;
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy and precision.

cover letter, because they make you upload that horseshit anyway

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]
[Your Email Address]
[Your Phone Number]
[Date]

[Hiring Manager's Name]
[Company Name]
[Company Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]

Dear [Hiring Manager's Name],

I am writing to express my interest in the [Position Title] position advertised by [Company Name]. With my extensive experience in accounting and financial analysis, coupled with my proficiency in managing diverse financial functions, I am confident in my ability to contribute effectively to your team.

In my previous roles, I have honed my skills in supporting various financial activities, particularly in month-end close processes. I am adept at reviewing revenues, expenses, and balance sheet accounts, ensuring accuracy through meticulous attention to detail and the execution of necessary adjusting journal entries. Moreover, my experience includes handling invoice review and approval, as well as calculating and recording clinic-level bonuses and preparing expense allocation entries.

I am particularly excited about the opportunity to assist in the preparation of financial statements for specific partnerships within your region. My expertise in conducting balance sheet reconciliations for key accounts, coupled with my ability to analyze financial, operational, and metric trends, positions me well to provide valuable insights and support in this aspect of the role.

Furthermore, I am equipped to handle various responsibilities such as responding to partners' inquiries, preparing audit schedules, and supporting M&A activities, including integration efforts. My adaptability and commitment to excellence ensure that I can thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy and precision.

I am impressed by [Company Name]'s reputation for [mention any specific aspects of the company that appeal to you], and I am eager to contribute to its continued success. My 3-5 years of accounting experience, combined with my proficiency in Microsoft Excel and ERP systems, make me a strong candidate for this position. Additionally, my excellent communication skills enable me to effectively convey complex concepts to stakeholders.

I am enthusiastic about the opportunity to further discuss how my background, skills, and qualifications align with the needs of [Company Name]. Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the possibility of contributing to your team and to the opportunity for personal and professional growth within your organization.

Warm regards,

[Your Name]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#28]
This is great stuff.

Regarding her interview skills, you have a point. Problem 1 is getting the interviews - she's only had a few in 2 years, which is why I think the resume is the problem. But to be truthful I really don't know how she interviews. I think it's good, given her personality, but I'm a bit biased.

Keep the suggestions coming!

(As for the bi part, she is. )
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you considered blackmailing the hriing manager?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
This is great stuff.

Regarding her interview skills, you have a point. Problem 1 is getting the interviews - she's only had a few in 2 years, which is why I think the resume is the problem. But to be truthful I really don't know how she interviews. I think it's good, given her personality, but I'm a bit biased.

Keep the suggestions coming!

(As for the bi part, she is. )
View Quote
It's a numbers game. My career is a train wreck. It typically takes like ~90 days on average before I get a new after a layoff or a re-org. I will apply for dozens if not hundreds of jobs just to get interviews. it's probably 50/50 that get my "general" and those that get "tailored" resumes. Of all of those very few lead to interviews and probably 10% of the interviews lead to an offer.

it's frustrating but like I said it's a numbers game even tailoring everything.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]

well that's hit screw up lol.

if you gonna play the game, you gotta know the rules
View Quote

They look for the copy paste in white thing now. Much easier to just use an AI to rewrite your resume against a job description.

Im the opposite (of what op thinks) his girl's problem is. Tailoring to get by the filters is easy. I usually kill the initial interview with the HR person. My elevator pitch kills them. I fall apart in the 2nd or 3rd interview when with the direct managers of the position. Ive worked at three small companies that didn't have shit for decent software suites in my field. Just hodge podge excel sheets and local IT company Windows 95 copycat era systems. Ill get past HR with enthusiasm but the direct managers pick apart my no x,y,z software experience in my work history. Getting random certs seems wasteful. Just never articulate how my experience would still be useful. I assume this is my problem, no one ever gives any answers, for fear of being sued, when you follow up after being rejected. I fucking hate interviewing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 13gunbunny:
View All Quotes

While this seems good advice on its face, go look at USAJobs for example. They strongly discourage this.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
A bad resume would seem to prevent her from getting the interview, though, right?
View Quote
Yep, if she is getting interviews the resume isn't the issue
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I use one of the many GPTs out there to make sure my resume is ATS friendly and uses the keywords.

I recommend feeding it your resume.  Asking it to restructure the whole resume and then making it rewrite each section individually.  

The first run is all about structure.  While they can rewrite the whole thing at once I got better quality giving it smaller chunks for the rewrite
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
View Quote

I once had a guy submit his resume with pencil corrections on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

It's a stupid idea that will likely get you removed from consideration once a moderately-capable and technologically-savvy person gets their hands on your resume.

The industry, company, and seniority level of the position are relevant. If we're talking about a resume to apply for a busboy position at Red Lobster, you can probably disregard my comment.

What you should do, however, is specifically tailor your resume and cover letter for each position you apply to. You can use similar phrases etc. from the job posting, but you have to at least be a little smart/strategic about it - think about how you truly meet those requirements and write it down. I toss resumes that look like someone just rearranged the words from the job posting. I also often see evidence left behind of someone using a bullshit cover letter template like "[use this space to list the company's unique values]" and obviously those get instantly tossed too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

Excellent advice!
View Quote

It's really not.

This might - might - get you to an interview if prescreen software doesn't catch it.

I can tell you, speaking as someone who has been on too many hiring committees, if we find out a candidate did this they will be immediately DQd with prejudice. Meaning, apart from not getting a job with us, everyone we know in the industry is going to hear about it too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
View Quote
I want to thank you @buckshot_jim for suggesting your wife's resume doctoring skills. I have been wanting to fix mine for a long time. I gave her a 5-6 page mess and she returned to me a nicely compacted 2 page resume.  Pleases Give Mrs Buckshot my appreciation. I highly recommend her work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
I want to thank you @buckshot_jim for suggesting your wife's resume doctoring skills. I have been wanting to fix mine for a long time. I gave her a 5-6 page mess and she returned to me a nicely compacted 2 page resume.  Pleases Give Mrs Buckshot my appreciation. I highly recommend her work.
View Quote

Thanks! I will.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#40]
View Quote

I personally worked with Mrs. @buckshot_jim and she did a fantastic job on my resume!  Excellent comms and reasonable pricing, too!

@R2point0
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I personally worked with Mrs. @buckshot_jim and she did a fantastic job on my resume!  Excellent comms and reasonable pricing, too!
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Stop submitting resumes.  Use your(her) professional network to bypass the automated crap and get in by referral from a real person.
View Quote

Boom.  This is the way.  Except that you still have to follow the hiring process for that company.  Which will require a resume.  Do you want to embarrass whoever gave you the referral?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#43]

If the company is actually using machine learning to decipher the resume you will need to just insert the key words into long winded sentences.

View All Quotes

Job Duties:

Support month-end close activities, including, review of revenues, expenses and balance sheet accounts and book necessary adjusting journal entries, as needed;
Review and approve invoices for appropriate GL coding, authorization, and payment;
Calculate and record clinic-level bonuses;
Prepare and record expense allocation journal entries;
Assist in the preparation of financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, cash flows) for specific partnerships within a region;
Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for key accounts (including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, prepaids, other assets, accruals, rent-related, intercompany accounts, etc.);
Prepare financial, operational and metric trends (visits, net rate per visit, payroll rate per visit and margin rates) and review for reasonableness;
Respond to partners’ inquires and requests for information;
Prepare audit schedules, as needed;
Support M&A activity in their region, including integration of clinics and/or partnerships into USPH.
Qualifications:

Minimum 3-5 years of accounting experience (prior public accounting experience a plus) in a corporate environment, ideally within organizations with multiple entities;
Partnership accounting experience, a plus;
High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and strong ERP systems experience;
Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, who is able to communicate complex concepts to stakeholders;
Experience with multi-jurisdictional businesses, internal controls, and SOX compliance is preferred but not required;
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy and precision.

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]
[Your Email Address]
[Your Phone Number]
[Date]

[Hiring Manager's Name]
[Company Name]
[Company Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]

Dear [Hiring Manager's Name],

I am writing to express my interest in the [Position Title] position advertised by [Company Name]. With my extensive experience in accounting and financial analysis, coupled with my proficiency in managing diverse financial functions, I am confident in my ability to contribute effectively to your team.

In my previous roles, I have honed my skills in supporting various financial activities, particularly in month-end close processes. I am adept at reviewing revenues, expenses, and balance sheet accounts, ensuring accuracy through meticulous attention to detail and the execution of necessary adjusting journal entries. Moreover, my experience includes handling invoice review and approval, as well as calculating and recording clinic-level bonuses and preparing expense allocation entries.

I am particularly excited about the opportunity to assist in the preparation of financial statements for specific partnerships within your region. My expertise in conducting balance sheet reconciliations for key accounts, coupled with my ability to analyze financial, operational, and metric trends, positions me well to provide valuable insights and support in this aspect of the role.

Furthermore, I am equipped to handle various responsibilities such as responding to partners' inquiries, preparing audit schedules, and supporting M&A activities, including integration efforts. My adaptability and commitment to excellence ensure that I can thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy and precision.

I am impressed by [Company Name]'s reputation for [mention any specific aspects of the company that appeal to you], and I am eager to contribute to its continued success. My 3-5 years of accounting experience, combined with my proficiency in Microsoft Excel and ERP systems, make me a strong candidate for this position. Additionally, my excellent communication skills enable me to effectively convey complex concepts to stakeholders.

I am enthusiastic about the opportunity to further discuss how my background, skills, and qualifications align with the needs of [Company Name]. Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the possibility of contributing to your team and to the opportunity for personal and professional growth within your organization.

Warm regards,

[Your Name]

Ain't nobody reading that long-winded bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Have you considered blackmailing the hriing manager?
View Quote

NOW we're getting somewhere!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

@QueenDeNile Mrs. @buckshot_jim worked on mine as well, and it was a great experience!  Mine was a bit scatterbrained with way too much detail.  She did a great job of omitting all of my "too much detail" and communicating my accomplishments in a way that I could later fill in the blanks with my details when asked.  It's like the resume was designed to lead interviewers to ask me questions that were a good fit for STAR technique answers.

Really happy I found her.  She's reviewing my LinkedIn to see if there is room for improvement.  She mentioned that she was helping a female from arfcom with the same thing and, for whatever reason, you were the first person I thought of!

Must be the winking polar bear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#46]

@QueenDeNile Mrs. @buckshot_jim worked on mine as well, and it was a great experience!  Mine was a bit scatterbrained with way too much detail.  She did a great job of omitting all of my "too much detail" and communicating my accomplishments in a way that I could later fill in the blanks with my details when asked.  It's like the resume was designed to lead interviewers to ask me questions that were a good fit for STAR technique answers.

Really happy I found her.  She's reviewing my LinkedIn to see if there is room for improvement.  She mentioned that she was helping a female from arfcom with the same thing and, for whatever reason, you were the first person I thought of!

View All Quotes

Yes my resume was ugly. It's hard for me to project myself because I have mostly been a stay at home mom. I have had some incredible opportunities in life (most were in the 90's) so it's difficult to give a full picture of what I bring to the table. Mrs @buckshot did a great job outlining my skills and focusing on my education. @mudholestomper. If only I could put my winking polar bear on my resume!

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#47]
What type of work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I contributed in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago.   I went through topresume.com and used their top end package for a senior manager position.   They partner with LinkedIn and I have had 3 interviews this week off the back of my new updated resume off of applications I sent out 3 weeks ago.  They have a number of packages for various turn times and needs.  It takes a lot of work, as I have headhunters and other streams working at the same time.  The consensus however is that my resume is a standout.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AKTactical:
I contributed in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago.   I went through topresume.com and used their top end package for a senior manager position.   They partner with LinkedIn and I have had 3 interviews this week off the back of my new updated resume off of applications I sent out 3 weeks ago.  They have a number of packages for various turn times and needs.  It takes a lot of work, as I have headhunters and other streams working at the same time.  The consensus however is that my resume is a standout.
View Quote
@AKTactical how much did this cost?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rmrz:
What type of work?
View Quote
Are you asking about my girlfriend or QdN?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top