Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 10:06:03 AM EDT
how long is going to take for Feinstein, Schumer, McCarthy, etc to start howling about the AWB sunsetting and how loudly will they protest? (I'm certain that they must have a few dirty tricks up their sleeves).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Repeat after me:

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME. WE WON!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Repeat after me:

Funny, I don't really feel any better.

Still nothing.

I'll see how I feel after the 13th.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree, we have a 99% chance that we won.  But as someone said, I don't want to HEAR the AWB dead, I want to SEE the AWB dead.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
They'll probably be too busy trying to get Zell Miller ousted from the party.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Bullshit, if they can pass all 40 quadrillion pages of the Patriot act in as little as they did, then they can do this little thing. It ain't dead til they adjourn.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
IT IS OVER!!!  We won and the libs lost.

Move on...there is nothing here...move on...move on...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Repeat after me:

That's not the issue. They haven't given up by a long shot. I'm just wondering how fast and how hard they're gonna hit us with a renewed effort. With only those few days remaining, it would be premature to let our guard down.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad someone didn't call in a terrorist threat that day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Repeat after me:

Still nothing.

Sly

Perhaps you should watch the old "I'm Just a Bill" cartoon and try to remember basic civics.

There is currently NO renewal bill out of committee in EITHER house. Both would have to pass a bill, get it to a Conference Committee to reconcile the differences, get the Conference Committee bill passed by both houses, and to the President's desk in three working days. (The House does not convene until Wednesday).

The Congress will be too busy with far more pressing business, not to mention the fact that every single member of the House (those not retiring) faces re-election in eight weeks.

I'll tell you what. If the AWB gets renewed before 13 September 2004 I will GIVE you an AR15. If it does not, you give me one. Deal? Time to put your money where your mouth is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Repeat after me:

Still nothing.

Sly

Perhaps you should watch the old "I'm Just a Bill" cartoon and try to remember basic civics.

There is currently NO renewal bill out of committee in EITHER house. Both would have to pass a bill, get it to a Conference Committee to reconcile the differences, get the Conference Committee bill passed by both houses, and to the President's desk in three working days. (The House does not convene until Wednesday).

The Congress will be too busy with far more pressing business, not to mention the fact that every single member of the House (those not retiring) faces re-election in eight weeks.

I'll tell you what. If the AWB gets renewed before 13 September 2004 I will GIVE you an AR15. If it does not, you give me one. Deal? Time to put your money where your mouth is.

Thanks for the offer, but no dice.

I'm already buying my Sunset party ware... It's just that even at a very young and impressionable age, I have learned first hand, not what I read in a civics book but first hand- The politicians are without a doubt against my pursuit of life, liberty, happiness...

I'll be sure to check out some of the numerous "W0Ot it's gone!" threads after the wicked ban is dead.  Where, and you might have to remind me on this, I will gladly spew forth a "PAEBR332 WAS RIGHT!"   Deal?

Sly
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#13]
... In a few hours, I'll be reminding Congressman JD Hayworth that the Republican Party, including the POTUS elections will be compromised in 2004 if the AWB doesn't sunset as planned.

... Congressman Hayworth is throwing a reception for President Bush's acceptance speech at the RNC in Scottsdale tonight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
how long is going to take for Feinstein, Schumer, McCarthy, etc to start howling about the AWB sunsetting and how loudly will they protest? (I'm certain that they must have a few dirty tricks up their sleeves).

They'll squawk some, to keep their special interest groups happy, but they KNOW being hard core anti gun KILLED them the last several elections.

Its all lip service. The AWB is dead.

In actuality, the poor Dems are in a bad way - the spcial interst groups that fund their campaigns want them to be rabid anti gun. The voters that vote for them don't. They gotta choose - lose $$$, or lose votes

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets just hope no attempt to use this against Bush in the election. like a awful shooting before the election and the Dems. scream about Bush agreeing to sing the bill back into law but not doing so for polictal reasons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lets just hope no attempt to use this against Bush in the election. like a awful shooting before the election and the Dems. scream about Bush agreeing to sing the bill back into law but not doing so for polictal reasons.

Of course it will be.

America doesn't care about gun control - pro or con.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My guess:
the Dems. let it die and then IMMEDIATELY blame Pres. Bush for not caring enough to extend it.
Sheeple will not know the legalities of the issue and k*rry will grab a few more sheeple votes.
Hillary will make it the centerpience of her life from here to 2008.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm expecting anything, up to & including cartwheels, backhandsprings, fainting, speaking in tongues, howling at the moon, & raising the dead to try to build up fear & hysteria to get all those mommas to 'act now'. I'll be tuning in to C-SPAN just to watch the circus sideshow that'll be going on over this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Earth to everyone!!!

Bush wants to sign a renewal!!!
A majority of the Seante voted to renew!!!

Only the House is saving us, and it is an election year.

Procedure will not save us, both houses can vote to consider the bill w/o the committe system, and can waive the various usual readings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Bush wants to sign a renewal!!!

Not true.

Admittedly, I am drawing a fine line, but what you posted is NOT true.

If he wanted to sign it, it would be on his desk.

It ain't on his desk.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure this has been asked before but I just want to clarify. I think there are two bills right now Feinstein has sponsored to extend the ban. If they go into session next week and start working towards passing one of her bills to extend the AWB, and during which time the ban sunsets on the 14th, is all the work and progress they may have made dropped in its tracks as there would be no AWB to extend or is it written in such a way to where the bill could be passed through anyway? Hope that makes sense.

Also with the current ban did the rifles have to be in preban configuration at any time before September 14 1994, or did they have be setting in preban configuration the moment the law went into effect?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I just want to clarify. I think there are two bills right now Feinstein has sponsored to extend the ban. If they go into session next week and start working towards passing one of her bills to extend the AWB, and during which time the ban sunsets on the 14th, is all the work and progress they may have made dropped in its tracks as there would be no AWB to extend or is it written in such a way to where the bill could be passed through anyway? Hope that makes sense.

Also with the current ban did the rifles have to be in preban configuration at any time before September 14 1994, or did they have be setting in preban configuration the moment the law went into effect?

Ok, here's how it works:

They have untill end-of-session to pass an extension...

End of session is, IIRC, right around the sunset...

Then Congress takes a break so everyone can campaign.

If the bill is not passed by then, they have to wait untill Febuary, as the November-January session of Congress in an election year is a 'lame duck' session -> nothing gets done.

Now, at present, there ARE AWB renewal bills in committee in both houses.  About 6 of them.

However, the chairmen of these committees are quite anti-ban, and can hold up all these bills indefinately.

While the votes WERE there in the Senate, it was a 2 vote margin, and there is no assurance that the votes ARE still there.

It is a documented fact that the votes ARE NOT THERE in the House.

This means THE BAN IS DEAD - there are no gun bills to ammend it to, no chances for it to come up without clearing committee, and even fi it were ammended, no chance that anything with an AWB re-auth would clear the House.

It's game over, and I'll bet anyone here a case of .223 that the ban will sunset without being replaced, extended, or enhanced.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
At this time it would be political suicide for anyone of the "up for re-election" representatives to start a 94 AWB renewal bill, although I agree with ‘hound’ 100% on how fast state and federal government officials can move when their EGO is on the firing line.  With that said, I think that we do not need to sit around patting each other on the back and talking about, in anticipation, what TOOL ban will come next.  Let’s be on the offense and not the defense, like we have for the last 10 years.  We need to now focus on the 89 Firearms Importation Ban.  After we get that right returned we need to focus on the next in line, 86 Post Sample Ban and etc.  We can not allow big gov’t a free second of time to start the selective or collective banning of firearms renewal efforts whether that be tomorrow, next month, or next year.  I believe that we need to hit the phones and send email after email to our state and federal government representatives NOW.  We need to triple those efforts early in the morning on Sept. 13 (the whole day) and every day after to let our representatives know that we are not pacified easily or readily.  We did this several months ago and recently with the “junk law suit” bill and 94 AWB, respectively.  

During the 2000 election AR and TN turned on their son’s and voted for freedom.  WV, known for democratic support but small in size fired a shoot that everyone heard during the 2000 election when Gore lost that state to the vote of gun owners.  Now, although Bush may not be “living” in WV for the 2004 campaign I know he has an ear turned in WV’s direction.

I have already called my representatives and the RNC several times over the last 4 days just to let them know that I am watching and listening.  I have asked about the 89 ban and what efforts are in the pipe to have this Infringement deleted.  Yes, several times I have heard, “the 94 ban isn’t dead yet”.  My answer is, “yes you are correct but it will be soon because of my efforts along with several million other firearms owners who voted in the 2000 election and guess what, we are voting in the 2004 election”.  

Pres. Bush’s comments are too “feel good” for me to relax.  From here on out I am going to be like a miggot at a urinal, always on my toes!  

Iso
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...It's game over, and I'll bet anyone here a case of .223 that the ban will sunset without being replaced, extended, or enhanced.
Any takers?

Are you saying there won't be another down the pike sometime?

If so (if your timeframe extends beyond 9/13), then I'm in.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I just finished sending e-mails to my 2 Senators (Carl Levin, and Debbie Stabenow, both anti's) and my Congressman (Sander Leving, another anti) as well as President Bush, reminding them not to support the 1994 AWB Renewal.

Excuse me if I don't seem to be brimming with optimism over their expected responses.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Im still worried it aint over till its over.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Um, where in the hell have i been these last 2 pages?

sorry to let you all down.

AW JEEZE, NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
<snip>

Any takers? This is an open offer. I'm willing to take up ANYONE on this bet. Just IM me.

Man, is my AR collection going to grow!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My guess:
the Dems. let it die and then IMMEDIATELY blame Pres. Bush for not caring enough to extend it.
Sheeple will not know the legalities of the issue and k*rry will grab a few more sheeple votes.
Hillary will make it the centerpience of her life from here to 2008.
YMMV.

Could not agree more

Perfect sense, That flip-flopping asshat- Hanoi John- will take credit for trying to rid the country of machine guns, but the big bad republicans wouldn't listen- and now every kid will have a full-auto AK47 in school in 2 weeks!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top