Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2004 6:19:57 AM EDT
Well I currently work as a manager for Gateway computers largest tech support outsourcer, and they've decided not to renew their contract with us (ALL tech support for them is going to India afaik), so in the next couple of months I'll be in the unemployment line.  I figure now is the last chance for me to get in the military before I'm too old to cut it.  I've narrowed it down to 2 different options at this point:

1.  Army Rangers - I don't care that I'd probably be the oldest one in my class, I KNOW I can do it and outdue most 18-19 year olds.  I'm a little out of shape now but I've been in that kind of shape before, and I have the will to get there again.  I'd mainly be doing this for my own personal adventure in life.

My second choice for the military is a total contrast, and is more for job skills

2.  Navy submariner - I've always been fascinated by subs, and I think I have the will to live cooped up for 6 months with a bunch of guys.  Not to brag but I am very intelligent, I have a background in math and physics and feel that I could do a good job as a nuclear reactor tech.  I really haven't found much information about these jobs for enlisted men,  or career outlooks after discharging.  I don't want to talk to a recruiter just yet because my life is pretty busy at the moment and I know how they are.  Does anyone have any experience in this field?

Guess I'm just looking for everyones opinion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
i say go for it.

just watch out for people with 6 leaf clovers.
i hear there is alot in the army...
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I went to the Corps at 24 1/2.  Had to do it before it was too late.  Get in shape and go for it.  Just be prepared to be taking orders from youngsters'.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
ANY service is noble. Go with your heart!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure, you'll be called "old man" by most 19 year olds, but I don't think 25 is too old by any stretch of the imagination.

Bubbleheads:  Gotta tip my hat to those guys because on one hand they're sort of geeky, and on the other I consider them to be very brave.  Maybe even a little crazy.  You think you're smart?  You better be because you're going to live and work with people a hell of a lot smarter than you on a Navy sub.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Of the two, I would strive for being a Ranger.  Though I'm not sure you just sign up to be a Ranger.

AFAIK, and I haven't looked into it since high school, it's kind of like the SEALs.  You pick and MOS, pass the prequal at a certain point, goto school and back to your MOS if you fail.  I may be wrong, like I said I looked into when I graduated, but at the time I decided to give college a go and working for Bill Clinton didn't sound too fun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
"back to your MOS if you fail"...

Oh... to be able to get that in writing.

You'll be serving at the pleasure of your government if you fail.  In the Nav, we called failing out of ET school "going to work for IBM".

IBM = Instant Boatswain's Mate
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Of the two, I would strive for being a Ranger.  Though I'm not sure you just sign up to be a Ranger.

AFAIK, and I haven't looked into it since high school, it's kind of like the SEALs.  You pick and MOS, pass the prequal at a certain point, goto school and back to your MOS if you fail.  I may be wrong, like I said I looked into when I graduated, but at the time I decided to give college a go and working for Bill Clinton didn't sound too fun.

Maybe some of you Army guys can clarify but I believe Rangers have a designated MOS.  SEAL's do not.  SEAL's are promoted in their respective rating, i.e.  machinist mate, boatswain's mate, etc.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
25 aint shit.
When I went through Marine Corps boot camp we had a 33 year old guy with no prior military experience.
The guy was in awesome shape to say the least.
I felt for him when we were doing the 8 mile hump at camp Pennelton.
Nobody likes the sand, but that was the only time I saw him even start to fall behind.
I'm 25 now and if I got back in shape boot camp would be easy. BIG if.
Just do what you are told as fast as humanly possible, if not faster.
Make sure you can run 5 mile without resting, can do 10 or more pull ups, and 70 or so sit ups and boot camp will only be a mental challenge not a physical one.

Go for it, good luck.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe some of you Army guys can clarify but I believe Rangers have a designated MOS.  SEAL's do not.  SEAL's are promoted in their respective rating, i.e.  machinist mate, boatswain's mate, etc.  

Nope, Ranger is a skill identifier like getting jump qualified. Special Forces has it's own career field, tho.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I would look at the armies ranger site to clarify, but its not working for me in any browser right now h, I'll check it later tonight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Nope, Ranger is a skill identifier like getting jump qualified. Special Forces has it's own career field, tho.

I thought there was a difference between just attending Ranger school and actually being in a Ranger battalion.  What is the MOS of a Ranger?  Again, I wasn't sure (being from the Corps) and I'm intersted in the calrification.  Thanx
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I thought there was a difference between just attending Ranger school and actually being in a Ranger battalion.  What is the MOS of a Ranger?  Again, I wasn't sure (being from the Corps) and I'm intersted in the calrification.  Thanx

There is a difference between going to Ranger school and being at a Ranger battalion. Sure, troops that go to Ranger School have the same Ranger tab as the guys at 75th Rangers, but there's a world of difference between a unit like the 82nd Airborne and a Ranger battalion.

There is no 'Ranger MOS'. This may be an oversimplification, but a grunt in the Rangers is an infantry MOS just like the grunt in the 101st Airborne is an infantry MOS.

I may be speaking out of my ass here since I know little about Marine Corps structure, but think of it as comparing Force Recon to Fleet Marines. Except Force Recon isn't nearly as good as the Rangers.  

just teasing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#14]
While the Ranger battalions have a slew of MOS's, most are 11B - infantry.  Failing out of RIP or getting kicked out of the regiment means you will fall back to a straight infantryman - and assigned needs of the Army.  The same applies if you wash out of Airborne school before RIP - you are already infantry qualified, and will be assigned to a leg infantry unit.

This is exactly the same for recruits off the street into SF - you will be qualified as an infantryman first, before follow-on training.

Getting guaranteed a shot at RIP is often not an easy task - you will have to be patient and stubborn with your recruiter.  Don't let them tell you to just volunteer later - you may never get the chance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I was a submariner for 13 years.  I scored a 70 something on the ASVAB in 1985.  The Navy bootcamp was not that hard but I was 18 at the time I went in.  I was an non-nuclear Electronics Technician.  To work in the nuclear field you have to go through the toughest school the Navy has to offer.  It has a higher drop out rate than the Academy.  They work really long hours and are allways being tested to make sure they are up to par.  I really could not tell how their civilian job field is but mine was ok.  I would be in a submarine in any kind of war.  They are really had to find and we can do all kinds of missions.  If you go this route let me know and I will try to help you out in any way I can.  What ever you decide, good luck!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I would definately compare Force to the Rangers, you just wouldn't like the reality.  

I think I see where you're coming from but the Corps does have a MOS once you make it (spelled "if" you make it).
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#17]

If you are even just thinking about it you should do it.

Trust me.................  You will not regret it.

Army Aviation
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1.  Army Rangers - I don't care that I'd probably be the oldest one in my class, I KNOW I can do it and outdue most 18-19 year olds.  I'm a little out of shape now but I've been in that kind of shape before, and I have the will to get there again.  I'd mainly be doing this for my own personal adventure in life.

Just realize that everyone says this. If you go this route, get in the best shape of your life. Once you get to that point, get in even better shape.

While being in excellent physical condition will only help you in Ranger school, realize that it is only part of the battle. The biggest part is MINDSET. Ranger school is nothing but one big Jedi mindfuck after another. You have to be prepared to be cold, hungry, wet, pissed off, and operating on about 2 to 3 hours of sleep. You will have to execute missions to standard or be prepared to do them all over again, and be prepared to assume ANY position in the unit from automatic rifleman to platoon leader and perform that role to standard.

I have a background in math and physics and feel that I could do a good job as a nuclear reactor tech.

Hope your background is spotless. I had a friend who enlisted in the Navy to be a glow worm. He was one seriously smart dude. Once he got to school, the Navy found some bogus misdemeanor charge in his background, and he went from being a nuke tech to being a phone man.

"back to your MOS if you fail"...

Oh... to be able to get that in writing.

You'll be serving at the pleasure of your government if you fail. In the Nav, we called failing out of ET school "going to work for IBM".

IBM = Instant Boatswain's Mate

Can't speak for the Navy, although the story of my friend does illustrate some things. However, the Army isn't going to take qualified infantrymen that washout from Ranger training and then make them be typewriter repairmen. They'll go back to a regular infantry unit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe 70 something is above averge, but I am definitely no rocket scientist!  I think 90 "something" is a perfect score.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll throw in another "go for it".

When I went through Marine Corps boot, our platoon "old man" was 29 years old (I was 19 at the time) - and he had no problems keeping up with the rest of us.

Hell, I turn 30 next week, and I constantly think about going back in.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
The test for Nuke is no big deal.  Your B average high school kid can qualify.  However, actually getting into the program may be very limited.  My brother got out on breach of contract when they didn't have enough nuke seats for him and tried to get him to change his contract.  This took a call to a congressman to get ironed out, it really started to get ugly.

I would also suggest going into the reserves.  That way, if the program you seek isn't available, or if you don't make the cut, you won't be stuck for 4-6 years.  If you make it and are happy, you can go active in a heartbeat.

If you are looking for cush duty and just money, AIRFORCE!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#23]
A few posters have mentioned Ranger school.  

That course is a long way out - and your unit will not send you if you are not ready.  It is only a requirement to become an NCO in a Ranger Battalion.  It is NOT a requirement for entry as a junior enlisted.  You will attend Infatry OSUT, Jump School, than RIP - if you pass RIP, you will be assigned to a Ranger battalion.

As I inferred earlier, Ranger recruiters will occasionally be at Jump School to take volunteers for RIP - as this cannot be guaranteed, it is best to get RIP in your contract.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I would not say that 25 is too old. I went through basic at 27. You need to look at where you'll be later in your career if you start out at a later age. Older guys who are still humping a ruck in their late 40's into their 50s always make me wonder why they are still there. By that time you need to be in an MOS where you wont be trying to keep up with the 18 year olds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Being 25, don't overlook the army special forces, you can now enlist directly into the Q course the way you can enlist into the rangers. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone, especially someone just out of high school or even college, but at 25 you've been in the real world long enough to be mature enough for that mission. It also requires more inteligence than the average infantry type of solider, but of course they're much more than that obviously.
You sound like a person who would do well in special forces.

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh and no 25 isn't old at all really for service though. I'm 38 and potentially re enlisting in the national guard as an infantryman, waiting on a waiver.
It's older than most who would go through boot camp though, and certainly older than the common solider in the ranger battalions.
Also do you have a college education incase I overlooked that, if so by all means don't enlist as a private, make some use of their officer programs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Many of you are also talking about the age of people you went through Basic Training / Boot Camp with.  Did the old people in question go on to one of the toughest, best trained light infantry units in the world?  I think THAT is where his concern lies.

He will be very likely be one of the oldest in RIP and among the junior enlisted in an Ranger unit - most are just out of high school.  Still, how old was Pat Tillman when he enlisted?
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#28]
"Did the old people in question go on to one of the toughest, best trained light infantry units in the world? I think THAT is where his concern lies."

BUDs, the school for SEALs had a 30 year age limit, at least back 10 years ago, not certain what it is presently but I'm almost certain it's not lower.
Lots of older people in special forces school also. Actually they can tend to do better because as mentioned, it's not as much about being gung ho strong as it is putting up with a lot of stress and discomfort, and other things that a mature mind is likely to do better with.
Physcially, the older a person gets the more endurance they have if they train hard. As someone who did ultra distances in running myself, I can tell you that 30 years of age was often cosidered youtful for that sport, and many of the better runners are in their latter 30s, and into the 40s.
In my opinion these schools are more about endurance than they are strength, something an older mind and body can have an advantage at.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I worked in nuclear power...USS Springfield SSN-761. If you have any questions about the navy nuke program...fire 'em this way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
for an intelligent person like yourself, I think the Submariner job would be the best choice, the skills you will learn will be more useful when you get out later, being in a sub would be a big adventure that not that many people ever get to do.

Submariner's are some of the Navy's best.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
for an intelligent person like yourself, I think the Submariner job would be the best choice, the skills you will learn will be more useful when you get out later, being in a sub would be a big adventure that not that many people ever get to do.

Submariner's are some of the Navy's best.

I spent a year at Brigade a couple of years ago and have to agree that those  nuke sub guys are bright. One of my guys was a former Sub guy who switched over to Army..one of the smartest guys I have ever met. Dunno why he switched to Army, other than he said he needed a change. Big change, going from nukes to foxholes.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Just realize that everyone says this. If you go this route, get in the best shape of your life. Once you get to that point, get in even better shape.

I realize this.  I know I won't prove a damn thing until I get the tab if I go that route.  I'll be sure to let everyone here know the day I get my tab or dolphins he.

Funny thing, my dad assisted in basic training somewhere (the details I've long forgotton, and my dad passed away last year), and they had some semi-famous NFL running back that was either signed up or drafted (again I forgot all of these details).  The guy couldn't hack it on the 2 mile run, and everyone was amazed at that, his response was that he was paid to run 100 yards and not 2 miles.  This was back in the Vietnam era so I'm sure he would be slipped through the cracks but if I remember correctly he said they beat some endurance into him after a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want something mentally and physically challenging you might consider the AF pararescue program.  Those guys are very sharp and have, I think, the toughest and longest training of any of the special forces programs.

If you want to play GI Joe without putting up with most of the Army bullshit you might also think about the AF TACP program.  You work for the AF but are assigned to Army units to coordinate CAS.

As for the AF, a majority of the brainiacs seemed to congregate in the crypto and electronic security fields.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top