Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2004 10:27:48 PM EDT
Man, I'm laying in bed at 2:30AM itchin' like a mofo.  These things are brutal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Powdered sulphur in a sock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Or have the little lady cover you in her favorite color of nail polish!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
neosporain
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
nail polish over the bite. Kill them fuckers. Just had some last weekend
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Indoor chiggers? Ouch!!!!!! Maybe that's common down south I don't know. The only time I encountered them was south of wv, or in eastern va. along the coast.
I got in them 1 time in the woods in eastern va. when I was driving back to the naval base and had to go to right to medical.
In the army they were common in the field, at ft. bragg, especially laying in the prone in the pine needles for days. A lot of people wore flea collars on their ankles.
But anyhow, no chiggers here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Indoor chiggers? Ouch!!!!!!

No, I brought these home with me from a day in the woods on Sunday.

Being a single male, I have no nail polish.  I'll try the Neosporin.  Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Powdered sulphur in a sock.

No thanks I'll stick with vaseline in a sock............no wait thats something else..
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought all the chiggers lived in Tn, well at least at my house
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Try filling the tub with a little bit of hot water and a little bit of bleach.  Kneel down in the tub, but be careful no to use too much bleach and do not sit down in the tub.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
buy a MOPP sute
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
never heard of a chigger until now, thanks for the education :)
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
A paste made out of Adolphs (unseasoned) meat tenderizer and warm water then rubbed it into the welt(s) will also releive the itching.

I've also used this mixture effectively on jelly fish stings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
<Slur removed>

Edited to add, try Vagisil. It's about the strongest anti itch stuff that you can buy over the counter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indoor chiggers? Ouch!!!!!!

No, I brought these home with me from a day in the woods on Sunday.

Being a single male, I have no nail polish.  I'll try the Neosporin.  Thanks for the tips.

go and buy some clear stuff and keep it for a rainy day.  Everytime I go out into the wood I am grateful that i have that little bottle.  One cavate,  don't take a wizz out in the woods underneath a tree with hanging moss.  Putting some fingernail polish on your wanger stings like hell.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ahemmmm... they like to be called cheegroes these days.

<Slur removed.>

Five words for anti-itch: Benadryl and lots of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad got chiggers really bad once back in the `60 while bow hunting. He had THOUSANDS of the little bastards all over him, and he very nearly died from them. In fact, his heart stopped several times (at the hospital, luckily) and they had to revive him. He was hospitalized for over a week. Afterwards, he had a lot of new allergies and he couldn't eat beef, be around animals (we nearly got rid of our dog because of it), and was bedridden for over a month. To this day he has to get weekly cortizone injections to control the allergies, although their severity has subsided a bit.

The guys at APG where he worked made him a get well present - a humorous plaque with a weird looking little fake chigger statue and the following inscription:

"I put the bite on Mr. Gus
He didn't jump, he didn't fuss
And now the same he'll never be
`Cause I gave him an allergy
          Signed - Charlie Chigger"

He still has it somewhere, but I haven't seen it in quite a while.

The point is, BE CAREFUL about those chiggers. They can be a lot more than an annoyance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Hot Pink nail polish
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Try filling the tub with a little bit of hot water and a little bit of bleach.  Kneel down in the tub, but be careful no to use too much bleach and do not sit down in the tub.  

Actually, you can soak in it all over and it doesn't hurt anything. Done it a lot of times.
Use about a 1/4 bottle of bleach in a tub of water.

Last week got a dose around the ankles at the Sporting Clays range. Wound up sitting in the shower with my feet in a swimming pool chemical bucket full of bleach water.
Not a pretty visual, but it got the little critters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
in the corps when we went to the field everybody yhay knew about those chigger was wearing panny hose.....laugh all u want be it keeps em off u.....i got them on my junk bad and it about drove me crazy.......try carring the little panny hose egg with ya nexted time in the field..
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Go to the pharmacy and ask for Chigger-Rid.  Kills the chigger and stops the itch instantly.  It smells exactly like Leach glue that you used to assemble models with.

Ren
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have them sneaking up your pant leg while in the woods here is a silly sounding but effective preventer. Put a cat flea collar around the ankle of each boot. I thought it was crazy at first but it does work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you have them sneaking up your pant leg while in the woods here is a silly sounding but effective preventer. Put a cat flea collar around the ankle of each boot. I thought it was crazy at first but it does work.

Thats such a perfect remedy and yet so simple. I'll keep that in mind when I go hiking again.  I feel like I should hit myself over the head because I didn't think of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]
As Sherrick mentioned, CHIGGERS  DO NOT  BURROW INTO YOUR SKIN.

It's the anticoagulant they inject you with-like a mosquito-that causes the severe itch. The anticoagulant causes a SEVERE pH imbalance and THAT'S what causes the itch.

Meat tenderizer, AfterBite, StingEze all work to relieve the itch. Ammonia works best, believe it or not.

When I lived in Missouri-a chigger state-and I'd go into the woods during chigger season I'd lube the BARE feet and and lower leg-up to the knee-with insect repellent. When the DEET formulas came along it was 100% BYE BYE chiggers. Put your socks on and rub a little repellent on your socks also. Here's another hint: Put insect repellent on your ass also. I learned the hard way that sitting on a stump in the woods while squirrel hunting is liable to get you chigger bites on the ass, too.

The old fashioned way is to rub exposure areas (feet, lower leg, waist) with powdered sulphur. It works, but not as well as a DEET formula repellent.

BTW, if you haven't tried a DEET formula repellent, the stuff is amazing. I have actually watched ticks  jump off my socks  after crawling an inch or two along my DEET rubbed ankles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I got them once golfing in New Jersey (sliced in the rough stuff).  Thankfully the clubhouse has a commercial prepartion that killed them.  I tossed out my socks though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top