Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 10:00:22 PM EDT
I see the ammoman has some good prices on Wolf Ammo...  I've always shied away from using it because of the info I've read about the coatings gumming up your AR...  I have two Colt AR's .....  Any updates on Wolf Ammo and Ar's?

Thanks...

realist
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Why chance it in a good rifle? Having a steel casing will just where out chamber faster than normal.

NO SLACK!

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it causes any excessive wear problems on the chamber, though I have heard of the gumming up problem.  I've shot about 1500rds through my M16 with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#3]
low quality ammo. i know the price is tempting and have bought 3 boxes of the crap myself. first time i did, loaded up the rifle, let the bolt go, aimed at a good sized woodchuck, and...click! somehow, the rounds didnt load. had three or four misfires after that, and found one bent casing when i opened up another box (no damage to the box itself though).  so whats my point?  YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
low quality ammo. i know the price is tempting ...
...click! somehow, the rounds didnt load.
View Quote

I had many of these problems plus all the horror stories of extraction problems came true. I was using my Mini-14 and not my AR. Switched ammo and all ran flawlessly with not feed or extraction problems.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've personally had a new CZ-85 blow up in my hand using WOLF 9mm, To their credit when I contacted them, they quickly took care of it and replaced my pistol, (I wasn't hurt)But use WOLF ammo again, NEVER!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
My Olympic Arms AR15 fires both Wolf and Barnul ammo just fine.
Load a mag, pull the trigger, bang every time.
Load a mag, do the bump, bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbang every time.
I have no extraction problems, no failure to feeds, nothing gets stuck in my chamber.
I have fired off 500 rounds of the stuff at one sitting with no problems.
Wolf ammo and Barnul ammo work just fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
WORKS FOR ME AND MY BUSHMASTER.MINI 14 ALSO.HELL I USE WOLF IN MY 1911S ,GLOCKS  ETC.... GOOD STUFF imho.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see, still gums up the rifle and wears out the extracter faster than brass.  So in the end it is still cheap cr@p.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried using Wolf 223 in my Armalite M15A2C and all it did was JAM! Worst ammo i ever tried to use in my AR. Never again. The 7.62 stuff works fine in my AK's, but will never use it again in my AR.

mike
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Broke two extractors in my Carbon 15 in 10 rounds.Seems to work fine in some guns and not at all in others.The steel case is no where near as hard as your barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd be interested to hear what the temperature was for those who did and didn't have problems with Wolf ammo.  Since it is excessive heat that melts the lacquer coating and causes the gumming-up problem, I'd imagine that it might be more reliable in, say, upstate NY in January than in AZ in July.

Just curious...
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]
High 60's low 70's both times.I didnt get a chance to shoot enough for heat to matter.I just think my chamber is small enough that the steel doesnt have enough time to snap back bfore the extractor starts yanking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]
In .223 it may work better in colder temps to keep the chamber from getting so hot as to melt the lacquer.  Of course, if you're going to hose down with a beta mag or two, even in cold weather you may have a problem.  In 9mm it doesn't work so well in very cold temps.  While I've never had a problem in warm weather, in very cold weather, I've seen it cause runaways in open bolt subguns because in the cold it didn't have enough punch to push the bolt clear of the sear.

All in all, I think its decent ammo for cheap blasting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I've tested 100 rnds. of this stuff. Cycles fine, shoots ok, dirty has hell to clean up after shooting. Haven't used it since.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
For blasting ammo, pick up one of the south african battle packs.  Good stuff, .12 a round is not bad for good ammo that will not screw up a good gun!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Chuck Santose took a blowtorch to an empty Wolf casing and reports that the coating DID NOT melt off.
That is all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I've sent several hundred rounds of Wolf through the family's two ARs so far and no trouble encountered.  If the primer fires, the round blows up the water-filled milk jug 100 yards away, the case ejects, and the next round feeds, then it's a good value.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Correct me if I'm wrong. The casing is made of steel and your barrel is made of steel. You have two metals of like hardness. The round slams into the chamber and seats itself with the rim of casing butting into the chamber.I don't remember the technical term for area in chamber where rim of casing gets stopped. I would think you would have to have more wear there than if you are using brass cased ammunition. I guess it would be worse if it was a non chromed lined chamber.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I ran 1000 rnds of the 55fmj in my M16 without a single malfuntion. The 9mm stuff sucks. Its all very nasty and it really not worth it unless you just want to go and blast away.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd be interested to hear what the temperature was for those who did and didn't have problems with Wolf ammo.  Since it is excessive heat that melts the lacquer coating and causes the gumming-up problem, I'd imagine that it might be more reliable in, say, upstate NY in January than in AZ in July.

Just curious...
View Quote

Well I live in Vegas and have shot in excess of 5000 rounds, most of it in the 115 deg summer time. Not 1 problem. Some uppers just dont like it. all of my bushmasters do fine with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I shoot it my Romanian SAR-3.  I do not shoot it in my Bushies or Armalite.  The SAR-3 was made for steel cased and eats it well.  I just prefer to "err on the side of caution" with my AR-15s.  They get only higher quality ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me first qualify my ignorance by stating that I have never put steel cased 5.56 through my AR.  This is more because I don't shoot it very often than any other reason.

But, while it is true that both case and barrel are steel, it is also true that probably no other material has the potential to its properties so vastly changed as does steel.  The barrel in my Oly Arms is 416 stainless.  Most AR barrels should be 4140 or 4150 chromium-molybdenum steel.  This means that it is fairly hard.

I have seen russian 7.62 cases put through the spectroscopy test on a scanning electron microscope (yes, I know, not very accurate for light elements, but still informative), and am here to opine that combloc steel for ammo cases is about the closest thing to pure iron you will  find in the industrial world.  I don't think this stuff has enough carbon to qualify for 1003 grade.  Big, round, clean grains of alpha iron translate into very soft steel that is likely not more than a few points HRb above brass.  Realistically, if the stuff had any strenght, they couldn't draw it economically.  

It wouldn't bother me any to shoot it in my rifle.

BattleRife
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top