Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 49
Posted: 6/8/2022 5:12:33 PM EDT
The last thread was archived after 40+ pages so I figured I'd start up a new one.

I had a 2015 Tacoma that I was getting setup for overlanding but it went with the divorce.  Last fall I rented a Jeep Rubicon and did a bunch of trails out in the Ouray / Telluride area which got me fired up to build another rig.  

I went looking for another vehicle but really needed something that I could also use to tow a ski boat on the highway long distances.  Finally decided the Tundra was the route I wanted to take.  After lots of looking I recently picked up a 2019 Tundra that I'm looking to setup for overlanding.  Lots of ideas and plans for this one.

Expedition Essentials Ram mount

I have RCI rock sliders ordered.  Also have a Switch Pro's mount and CBI ditch light mounts waiting to go in.  Pretty excited!
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Fin do you have any pics of your 4r on some of the more gnarly trails and obstacles?
View Quote

The hardest it's seen overall has been the Windrock trips, most of the time it's state forest stuff. That said we had some monster ruts and mud holes at LBL.

Keep in mind, most hard tracks over the past few years, I've taken the LJ (which was sold for the Taco).

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
So many LCs in Nicaragua. TONS of the two door trucks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Next step down for the DD/Overland rig. Added a XL Gearpod & two single Gearpods on the other side.

I got a killer deal on the three gearpods & a Forged ACS Rack for a Tacoma for $750. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rack because I don't have a Tacoma

Up next will be a 270 awning & getting recovery gear. I plan on using one of the single gearpods for my recovery gear

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/IMG_0546_jpeg-3119798.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/IMG_0545_jpeg-3119799.JPG

Next step down for the DD/Overland rig. Added a XL Gearpod & two single Gearpods on the other side.

I got a killer deal on the three gearpods & a Forged ACS Rack for a Tacoma for $750. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rack because I don't have a Tacoma

Up next will be a 270 awning & getting recovery gear. I plan on using one of the single gearpods for my recovery gear

View Quote

Hell yeah that’s a crazy deal!  Should be able to sell the rack and recoup some funds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Hell yeah that's a crazy deal!  Should be able to sell the rack and recoup some funds.
View Quote
I have thought about just selling it like you said to recoup some $$$. But I was also thinking that down the road (like I'm talking about years) I wanted to build a small overland trailer and I thought about putting that rack on it. I have seen other trailers with the Leitner rack on them and I think it's a cool design.

But like I said that would be years down the road and I don't really want to store it for that long.

Maybe I should wait until Late February and post it on Facebook Marketplace since that would be when people get there tax returns
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My Carli kit finally came in and got it installed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:55:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

What a beast
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's exactly what my wife said after complaining about it being too tall for her to get in it now. We've always kept a foldable step stool under the rear seats so she can get in, but that was for the odd occasion we parked on a slope that made it impossible to reach the step.  Now she has to use it all the time.

I've got some White Knuckle sliders on order that should help that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:

That's exactly what my wife said after complaining about it being too tall for her to get in it now. We've always kept a foldable step stool under the rear seats so she can get in, but that was for the odd occasion we parked on a slope that made it impossible to reach the step.  Now she has to use it all the time.

View Quote

Just tie a rope to the oh shit handle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ludicrous_Speed] [#11]

View All Quotes

Thats not a horrible idea, actually. Or a facsimile thereof. Her biggest issue is that she can no longer reach that handle to help with pulling herself in, hence the stool. Her leg ends up practically in her chest, so she lacks the proper leverage to step up. Oh the woes of being too short.

We'll work something out. We both love how it rides now, so it was definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoopisTDI] [#12]
LC250 info released.
ih8mud thread

1958 - $55,950
LC - $61,950
First Edition - $74,950

22/25mpg

ETA: You can build on Toyota.com
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
LC250 info released.
ih8mud thread

1958 - $55,950
LC - $61,950
First Edition - $74,950

22/25mpg

ETA: You can build on Toyota.com
View Quote

@jafrush
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ludicrous_Speed] [#14]
Probably going to get heat for this, but the 1958 version is ugly. Fact that it only comes in 3 colors makes that worse.

Great spec for someone only wanting it for wheeling, though.

I agree with the TFL guys, they're trying to steer people towards the LC and if they get a few whales on the first edition, that's great.

Although the premium package with the regular LC pushes it a bit close to the First Edition.

ETA, I also agree with the TFL guys that if you're going to put First Edition money down, just buy a new GX Overtrail. More power, no hybrid, better specs, nicer interior close to the same price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I honestly prefer the look and specs of the LC over the GX, with the exception of the engine. I'm not convinced about the turbo four yet. Especially in a $57k vehicle.

I do like the cloth option, and would go for the 1958 in the silver. Technically I'm #1 on my dealers reservation list for it.

I won't sell my '23 4R Pro for it though, and I'm not convinced yet that it's good enough to trade my older LX570 for either. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm still curious to know how the 6th gen 4Runner (assuming it is coming) will be differentiated from the LC.

Maybe the 6th gen 4Runner will be more offroading-focused to go after the Jeep/Bronco market a bit more? Hopefully so.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I plan on picking the wife up a GX Overtrail at some point next year. Going to keep my eye on them a bit and make sure there aren’t any teething issues that come to light first. It’ll replace her 2016 4Runner Trail that we bought new in 15’. I’m actually tempted to sell my Can Am and keep her 4Runner as my hunting rig though. However the Can Am sure is nice when the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By basselope22:
I'm still curious to know how the 6th gen 4Runner (assuming it is coming) will be differentiated from the LC.

Maybe the 6th gen 4Runner will be more offroading-focused to go after the Jeep/Bronco market a bit more? Hopefully so.
View Quote
I think they want to push the LC as the off road vehicle. Sure the 4R TRD trims will be off road focused, but look towards the new Tacoma at the trim differentiations. I'd bet you'll see basically the same breakdowns. Im sure the 4R TRD trims will get some cool features, again probably straight out of the Tacoma, and then you'll also have some SR5 and limited trims with low hanging bumpers and air dams and such

What's still interesting to me is that there's going to be a big overlap between the upper level TRD 4Rs and the LC.

*I heard rumors this LC was actually going to just be the 6th gen 4R, but Toyota pulled a last minute switch like 8 months ago and decided to re-brand it as the LC and keep working on the 4Runner.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTXTremor] [#19]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Took the boy out for a long weekend this past week. He loved it. The view from bed wasn’t too shabby.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
too much fun!

look at that smile.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
I think they want to push the LC as the off road vehicle. Sure the 4R TRD trims will be off road focused, but look towards the new Tacoma at the trim differentiations. I'd bet you'll see basically the same breakdowns. Im sure the 4R TRD trims will get some cool features, again probably straight out of the Tacoma, and then you'll also have some SR5 and limited trims with low hanging bumpers and air dams and such

What's still interesting to me is that there's going to be a big overlap between the upper level TRD 4Rs and the LC.

*I heard rumors this LC was actually going to just be the 6th gen 4R, but Toyota pulled a last minute switch like 8 months ago and decided to re-brand it as the LC and keep working on the 4Runner.
View All Quotes

I heard the same thing. I think they did it because they realized that a 55ish-k starting point is too high. They need a stripped down 4Runner in the mid 40s and then have the best trim slightly above the LC 1958.

I agree that the LC, not 58 version but rectangular headlight LC, looks better than the GX on the outside, but the interior and just about everything else is better on the GX.

The reality is, since they're built off the same platform they won't be that different, so it all depends on what you prefer. Capabilities will probably be similar once you build them out.

TFL does have a good point that it's a lot more palatable to beat on a $55k vehicle than it is an $80k luxury one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
FYI I am still here, been reading for quite a while... will able to play in the future.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#23]

I like the tent and canopy setup.  Are those one item or two separate setups?  

It's not overlanding yet, but I'm probably going to have a rooftop tent and awning for camping at EAA this year and am doing preliminary research.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#24]

I heard the same thing. I think they did it because they realized that a 55ish-k starting point is too high. They need a stripped down 4Runner in the mid 40s and then have the best trim slightly above the LC 1958.

I agree that the LC, not 58 version but rectangular headlight LC, looks better than the GX on the outside, but the interior and just about everything else is better on the GX.

The reality is, since they're built off the same platform they won't be that different, so it all depends on what you prefer. Capabilities will probably be similar once you build them out.

TFL does have a good point that it's a lot more palatable to beat on a $55k vehicle than it is an $80k luxury one.
View All Quotes

I've sat in the new GX, but the only LC I've been around was locked.

I still prefer my '23 5th gen interior to either. Maybe Im becoming a fudd in my middle age.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
FYI I am still here, been reading for quite a while... will able to play in the future.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3464_jpg-3137717.JPG
View Quote

One of us, one of us
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

One of us, one of us
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20201009_002119_jpg-3137875.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
jeep stuffing in the hill country

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Hidden Falls. I used to practically live there wheeling my Tacoma. The only trails I haven't completed are Wildcat Stairwell and Midnight Run.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#29]
I'm in Montana for work and I really wish I could tell y'all what I'm doing

What a cool trip. I bet he'll always remember that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3464_jpg-3137717.JPG

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#30]

View Quote

Cladded spy photos showed a similar shape and profile as the Prado (LC) and GX.

It’s all the same TNGA-F architecture.

This is the 6th gen frame.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#31]

I like the tent and canopy setup.  Are those one item or two separate setups?  

It's not overlanding yet, but I'm probably going to have a rooftop tent and awning for camping at EAA this year and am doing preliminary research.
View Quote

It’s a single item. Allows access to the bed directly from the tent and vice versa. When it’s just the boy and me we both sleep in the bed. When the wife tags along the boy sleeps on a mattress in the truck bed. Having access to him and being able to talk to him makes it possible. Keeps both his mind at ease as well as mommas lol

You can see the top bed above him there. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Hidden Falls. I used to practically live there wheeling my Tacoma. The only trails I haven't completed are Wildcat Stairwell and Midnight Run.
View All Quotes

yessir we go up there a couple times a year. bring our tents and camping gear, set up camp and just ride trails / crawl rocks all damn day - its a nice setup.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By superspud:

yessir we go up there a couple times a year. bring our tents and camping gear, set up camp and just ride trails / crawl rocks all damn day - its a nice setup.
View Quote

I love that place. My friend in town has a tricked-out Tacoma, too, and we've been wanting to do another day trip there. I haven't been back since 2020 when they closed the park to non-members during Covid.

I usually go for the entire weekend, camp at Area B and after night wheeling, drink myself unconscious around a good fire. American Girl burgers and sweet potato fries with honey sounds good right about now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By WTXTremor:

It’s a single item. Allows access to the bed directly from the tent and vice versa. When it’s just the boy and me we both sleep in the bed. When the wife tags along the boy sleeps on a mattress in the truck bed. Having access to him and being able to talk to him makes it possible. Keeps both his mind at ease as well as mommas lol

You can see the top bed above him there. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/567462/97F9CF44-EC2D-4A1C-B57B-13C72C12B299_jpe-3138415.JPG
View Quote

Very interesting.  Name of or link to product/setup?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:16:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: superspud] [#35]

I love that place. My friend in town has a tricked-out Tacoma, too, and we've been wanting to do another day trip there. I haven't been back since 2020 when they closed the park to non-members during Covid.

I usually go for the entire weekend, camp at Area B and after night wheeling, drink myself unconscious around a good fire. American Girl burgers and sweet potato fries with honey sounds good right about now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By superspud:

I first went in 2022 and have been back a few times since.  the trails change as they get ridden and some have gotten a bit aggressive over the last few times we've been.

Camp Area B is where it's at.  We push up into the trees and set up camp with fire and cook / camp out all weekend also.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

This is the one I have. https://www.lonepeakoverland.com

There are a handful of other options out there that do the same thing in slightly different variations. GoFast Campers (GFC), Super Pacific, FWC Project M, AT Overland Atlas, Tune M1, Snap Treehouse, and AluCab are a few off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]

There are a handful of other options out there that do the same thing in slightly different variations. GoFast Campers (GFC), Super Pacific, FWC Project M, AT Overland Atlas, Tune M1, Snap Treehouse, and AluCab are a few off the top of my head.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I have a good amount of research to do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

A nearby overland place started selling and using the dirtbox toppers and campers, I talked with the company rep and crawled around them a bunch. Not useful for my SUV setup but very impressive strength, fit, and finish. They started out at a unimog outfitter and apparently drove with the tent and all panels open on a mog, through all their nastiest trails and didn’t manage to break it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't have experience with any of the truck campers, but I really like how Ovrlnd campers  lets you ditch the tailgate and have barn doors instead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

A nearby overland place started selling and using the dirtbox toppers and campers, I talked with the company rep and crawled around them a bunch. Not useful for my SUV setup but very impressive strength, fit, and finish. They started out at a unimog outfitter and apparently drove with the tent and all panels open on a mog, through all their nastiest trails and didn’t manage to break it.
View Quote

That’s impressive. I had seen the Dirtbox trailers before ever ordering mine, but I haven’t seen the Dirtbox campers until recently. I might have given them a look had they come out before I ordered my LonePeak.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#42]

That’s impressive. I had seen the Dirtbox trailers before ever ordering mine, but I haven’t seen the Dirtbox campers until recently. I might have given them a look had they come out before I ordered my LonePeak.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Dirtbox is who I plan to go with for my bed cap. The wife doesn't want a canopy camper and would prefer a small trailer instead, but I still want the options a cap would provide.

When it comes to canopy camper like the options mentioned above, I feel like Dirtbox makes a good product, but they don't really set themselves too far apart with unique features like a Tune M1 or Moonlander have. Now those unique features aren't going to be for everyone, or even most people, but in what is quickly becoming a sea of wedge style cap campers,  standing out is a good thing.

That said, I did see the quality of Dirtbox's stuff, and it's top notch. For the cap only setups, I feel like they distance themselves fairly well from GFC, Smartcap and the others.

Of course, I could just be trying to justify my decision
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Most of the stuff in here is great.

One thing to shit on a bunch of people though....I'll never understand snorkels on $60k vehicles.  It's not like anyone is going to risk killing their 13" infotainment center by fording a river.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:

One thing to shit on a bunch of people though....I'll never understand snorkels on $60k vehicles.  It's not like anyone is going to risk killing their 13" infotainment center by fording a river.  
View Quote

Snorkels aren't for river fording, they're for clean air on a dusty road. Yes, they can help with high water crossings, but you have to do a lot more in the engine bay than add a snorkel to achieve that. Most don't.

Because here in the US we don't tend to have a huge number of really high water crossings and the snorkels are used for what they were originally designed for in the first place. Raise the air intake several feet as dust is heavy and tends to settle lower, so you're sucking in cleaner air.

That generally means you have less issues with clogged air filters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Snorkels aren't for river fording, they're for clean air on a dusty road. Yes, they can help with high water crossings, but you have to do a lot more in the engine bay than add a snorkel to achieve that. Most don't.

Because here in the US we don't tend to have a huge number of really high water crossings and the snorkels are used for what they were originally designed for in the first place. Raise the air intake several feet as dust is heavy and tends to settle lower, so you're sucking in cleaner air.

View All Quotes

In the ozarks I use my snorkel for water crossings a lot. That said, after 10 days in Baja last spring sucking dust my air filter wasn’t even dirty enough to bother cleaning. I couldn’t believe it!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
I had to trim out a lot of the plastic liner in my wheel well to make room for bigger tires. Even relatively shallow water can now spray up into my fender. What's in the fender? The stock intake. That's the main reason I have a snorkel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

water is probably 10% of it.

Ever been behind 40 other vehicles when it's not rained in weeks.

Dust is where it shines, didn't want it but going to bumper openly exposed the air intake entry and risk was too high.

I've got a headlight rule anyways on water.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Need to some additional clean up and get the air lines setup, but the compressor is in! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

water is probably 10% of it.

Ever been behind 40 other vehicles when it's not rained in weeks.

Dust is where it shines, didn't want it but going to bumper openly exposed the air intake entry and risk was too high.

I've got a headlight rule anyways on water.
View Quote

Design of Toyota's latest OEM one really highlights the idea of dust protection:

Certainly not something that is mandatory but it does have it's benefits and not just for water.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 49
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top