Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2004 12:38:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget a copy of your Birth Cert. as proof of citizenship. It really is a very simple process. I can't understand why everyone doesn't order a Garand or '03a3 from the CMP.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Mike. Thats good info for those that think there is a big mystery in getting a CMP gun.

CH
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Beer_Slayer, just what I've been looking for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, I believe there is a colelctors club reconized by the CMP. You can join online for IIRC$25. It is a Garand collectors org. I will try to find the info unless someone has it handy.

Regards,
CH
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget to include a M.O. for the rifle too, hate to see ya' send in all the paper work and not include funds for the gun.LOL
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You have Firearms Owners Identification Card as being a qualifying document. Are you sure? The FOID  card is endemic to Illinois only. I've been holding off on getting a Garand because I've never got around to doing the "shoot" at a participating range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here you go. You can use this membership in the event you dont havea club nearby to join.

www.garandcollector.org/gca_join.htm

Happy shooting,
CH
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish they had M1 carbines
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That would really be sweet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would really be sweet.

Ditto.
Make that M2's
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
great info. TBS, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered an M1 from CMP years back, right around the time that it changed from DCM to CMP. (I'd
have to go look at the box to see what is stamped on it, to be honest, as it fell right there around
that timeframe.)

Anyway, the rifle is BEAUTIFUL! I'll admit, I still haven't shot it, though I keep saying that I will.
I had one of the guys at Fulton Armory look up the #s for me, and it is a 1944-dated Springfield,
with all matching parts, and the wood is excellent also, with some faint cartouches. The only thing
that prevented it from being a 100% rifle was that when they had gone over it in `61 (ISTR that's
the date) the triggergroup had been switched out with a `42 dated Winchester group.

At the time, I don't seem to recall there being different price ranges, though I may have blown that
off at the time, and just gone with what I could afford.

Has anybody ordered (and received) one of the Greek Rack-grade rifles? I'd read another thread
where somebody talked of getting one, and rebarreling it to .308. Are there any other parts that
have to be switched out as well, when you rebarrel it, or not? (Fairly newbie when it comes to the
Garand.)

I'd thought about making a road-trip on SAT morning up to the store itself, to pick out a rifle, but
the Greek Rack-grades are the same price, whether you buy it via snail-mail, or pick it up yourself.
It just costs you the shipping, versus gas $$. Though you would get to pick one out, and look at it's
wood, versus pick of the draw. Plus, you can get an H&R if you order it, but the store doesn't show
them stocking H&Rs as a 'pick it yourself' item. I'd like one of those, as something different from
the usual Springfields.

If that pans out as a decent idea, I can get that easier than another AR right now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
You can add a spacer along with the barrel so that only 7.62x51mm ammo will fit into the magazine, that way you'll not slip some ought 6 in by mistake. Other then that, if you're only going to be shooting 7.62x51mm the barrel is all you need to replace.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I drove to the north store about three weeks ago and got a Greek Rack grade.  The wood was rough and the bore dirty with copper fouling.  The parkerizing is worn shiny near the gasblock on the barrel and is smooth on the receiver.  It is howver completely tight, solid and functional.  The Stock and barrel both cleaned up to Service grade. Bore was nice and shiny once cleaned up with no pitting or frosting visible.  Lands and grooves were shiny and sharp.  This rifle stood alot of gaurd duty and was shot little.   Shoots excellently and produces 3" or better at 100 yards with CMP ammo.  Well worth the drive and $295 to get it.  Muzzel read 1.5 and throat 2 on their gauges.

That makes me feel real good about the Greek Service Grade that I'm going to order. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
There really needs to be a national "club". My local club is'nt taking new members, and there are no others.

Do they really check?

Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Has anybody ordered (and received) one of the Greek Rack-grade rifles? I'd read another thread
where somebody talked of getting one, and rebarreling it to .308. Are there any other parts that
have to be switched out as well, when you rebarrel it, or not? (Fairly newbie when it comes to the
Garand.)

I'd thought about making a road-trip on SAT morning up to the store itself, to pick out a rifle, but
the Greek Rack-grades are the same price, whether you buy it via snail-mail, or pick it up yourself.
It just costs you the shipping, versus gas $$. Though you would get to pick one out, and look at it's
wood, versus pick of the draw. Plus, you can get an H&R if you order it, but the store doesn't show
them stocking H&Rs as a 'pick it yourself' item. I'd like one of those, as something different from
the usual Springfields.

Tanker06,

There are a few threads in the Armory forums about Greeks. More if you want to venture over to battlerifles. The three that I got were all good shooters but not much in the "looker" department. Woods are pretty trashy and it seemed like the Greeks liked to carve their names (I presume, as it's all Greek to me {groan}) into the stock. Buttplates have been dragged all over and my guess is that many will have to be replaced

I don't know how far away you are, but for me, it was worth the trip. There were some real dogs in the racks. If you are just buying it for the receiver and plans of upgrading, then mail order. If you are looking for something better, then you would be better served by going to pick one out. The ones I purchased all had MW's of less than 2 and TE's of less than 3. I went for the ones marked "bore" that didn't look too bad and they've all cleaned up nicely.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
If anyone knows, is a photo copy of a person's birth certificate, acceptable?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There really needs to be a national "club". My local club is'nt taking new members, and there are no others.

Do they really check?

Garand Collectors Association
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If anyone knows, is a photo copy of a person's birth certificate, acceptable?

It should be, it just says "copy" on the app, nothing about a Certified copy. It's mainly for proof of citizenship anyway.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Tagged, because I've been thinking about this.  $300 is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
NJ has FID's and some other states have similar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Best... thread... ever...

Time to go order my CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Okay, flying the newbie flag again here....

So the ones that you can pick through on the rack have been gauged, and are tagged with these
readings already?

What #'s are you looking for? I don't know jack about the gauges, so if there's an FAQ or something
like that, that you could point me to, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I've seen new walnut stocks, without metal, being offered. How much of a PITA is it to install the
existing metal from one stock, over to a new stock?

I'm in Northern VA - maybe somebody local interested, we could take a trip together and save on
gas $$?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Even if you get one you don't like you can always sell it for $650 or so and buy another one. Such a deal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, crap. Thanks, now I'm itching for #4.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]
tagged.....gonna do it this week
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I drove to the north store about three weeks ago and got a Greek Rack grade.  The wood was rough and the bore dirty with copper fouling.  The parkerizing is worn shiny near the gasblock on the barrel and is smooth on the receiver.  It is howver completely tight, solid and functional.  The Stock and barrel both cleaned up to Service grade. Bore was nice and shiny once cleaned up with no pitting or frosting visible.  Lands and grooves were shiny and sharp.  This rifle stood alot of gaurd duty and was shot little.   Shoots excellently and produces 3" or better at 100 yards with CMP ammo.  Well worth the drive and $295 to get it.  Muzzel read 1.5 and throat 2 on their gauges.

Get a shuster adjustable gas plug from Adco firearms and it'll shoot 1 MOA or less. I got a rack grade Springfield and put 4 rounds in the same hole with 24 year old danish ammo at 50 yards. At a hundred it was 1 MOA for 3 rounds. Those adjustable gas plugs do the job.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I just sent in an order.  Probably because it was the first question I didn't notice the requirement for a birth certificate or passport.  Although I sent them a copy of my C&R I'm thinking that may not work for this purpose.

Should I send a follow-up with the Birth Cert?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I just sent in an order.  Probably because it was the first question I didn't notice the requirement for a birth certificate or passport.  Although I sent them a copy of my C&R I'm thinking that may not work for this purpose.

Should I send a follow-up with the Birth Cert?

I would give them a call and let them know it's on the way, that way they'll get you into the works and have everything ready for your Birth Cert. to arrive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Tagged
cuz good info needs to be tagged for future reference.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#39]
So you mean to tell me if I join CMP for $25, send them a copy of my CCW permit, and birth certificate I can get one of those Garands shipped to my house without a FFL? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Ain't it cool warhorse!
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So you mean to tell me if I join CMP for $25, send them a copy of my CCW permit, and birth certificate I can get one of those Garands shipped to my house without a FFL? Am I missing something?

Check or credit card.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
NJ has FID's and some other states have similar.

I've been wondering myself if the NJ FID card will be acceptable as a 'Firearm Owners Identification Card'.....I mean, < $1000 bucks for a Garand and 950 rounds of ammo is a damn good deal.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Dont you have to shoot in a match or something else?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Beer Slayer, have you been to Anniston to pick out your own? They make it sound like they are strict about that on the website, but i have heard of guys driving over to pick one up. This is on my buy list for the year, so wanted to know if it is worth the drive or not.

-Juice Out

P.S. Thanks for the info! This has been a hot topic around here lately...
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Dont you have to shoot in a match or something else?
Thanks

Not anymore. You can if you want to, but the CMP relaxed their shooting requirements. I believe the requirements are now listed on the first post of this thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Do they really check?

Yes, they check.

Here's a club you can join that is CMP affiliated.
It costs $25 to get your membership card.
Southern Arizona Wildlife Callers, Inc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't they have a deal on ammo too?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Forms printed. Thanks you have ended decades of of trying to find a cmp match and/or procrastination.
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top