Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 120
Posted: 4/1/2021 1:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe]
The Porsche April Fools joke thread got me thinking for some reason...

I don't think we've had a combined "Porsches of GD" type thread.

So let's start one now!

ETA: bolded the title for extra officialness.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have USAA on the rest of my vehicles which is a little out of control.  Are any of you using the Porsche insurance?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 6172crew:
I have USAA on the rest of my vehicles which is a little out of control.  Are any of you using the Porsche insurance?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26111/35days_PNG-3049905.png
View Quote

I've seen a bunch of folks mention using Hagerty for their insurance. I've noticed Amica advertising inside Panorama (PCA's magazine).

Learned that my European delivery won't work out, due to timing. Going to opt for a PEC delivery; either LA or ATL.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hulley:

Bro, wait until you drive one, then you'll find a way top get one or never sleep again. LOL
View Quote

I can confirm this is true.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Bro, wait until you drive one, then you'll find a way top get one or never sleep again. LOL
View Quote

I know haha.  Maybe some day if my financial situation changes!  Either way, love this thread keep all those pictures and vids coming.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Visiting this thread makes me sad I live where I do.  I would love to drive my car year round, but she is now sitting in my garage for the winter.

We had a birthday bash for my wife a few weeks ago before I finally put it in for the year.  I gave about 6 rides to some of her friends that wanted to go for a spin.  The giggles and squeaks that came out of those ladies when I got after it was awesome!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:
Visiting this thread makes me sad I live where I do.  I would love to drive my car year round, but she is now sitting in my garage for the winter.

We had a birthday bash for my wife a few weeks ago before I finally put it in for the year.  I gave about 6 rides to some of her friends that wanted to go for a spin.  The giggles and squeaks that came out of those ladies when I got after it was awesome!
View Quote

Very cool! I took mine to my sister's for Thanksgiving and a few of the kids all wanted rides, one of them had his head out the window and was just laughing and and having a great time!
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I am looking at a 1992 911 Turbo this weekend- original owner car in my favorite color combination- and need some information on common problem areas.  I've got a well-respected shop standing by for a PPI, but I want to educate myself as well.

I would appreciate it if y'all can point in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:36:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hulley] [#9]
Originally Posted By YGBSM:
I am looking at a 1992 911 Turbo this weekend- original owner car in my favorite color combination- and need some information on common problem areas.  I've got a well-respected shop standing by for a PPI, but I want to educate myself as well.

View Quote

I can't think of anything specific on the 964 Turbo but it's an older, air cooled 911, a PPI is a must and depending on previous care, it could need everything under the sun, or really nothing. I know this doesn't help much but this older cars are maintenance heavy and a lack of care could be very costly.

BTW, the 964 Turbo is my ultimate dream, air cooled 911. Good luck and post a pic if you can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By YGBSM:

View Quote

964 turbo is over all pretty solid.
Have them check with a paint meter, that kinda car takes a big hit on repainted panels.
Look around the windshield for rust, the water get stuck in the seal at the bottom.
Oil leaks are common, a reseal is about 80 hours + parts.
Suspension is expensive, take a good look at the shocks, if they are original they are dead.
Ac evaporators leak, it's not cheap to repair.
Rust is unusual under the car, run.

Replace the belts as soon as you buy it, it's about the only thing that Will leave you stranded.
100% the best looking car they ever built.

Was a 20+ year porsche  Gold Master tech in my past life.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Bummer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BrianC:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BrianC:

I can confirm this is true as well. 2 months after driving a 992, I owned one.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#13]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:

View Quote

Drove mine for the 1st time in 10 days or so because it’s finally a dry spell.
Love taking folks (mainly the girls) that have never been in a Porsche before, for a ride. I make sure the tires are warm enough to bank some decent G’s, thought I gave one mom a heart attack, but guess she had a blast.

Porsche ended up covering my axle boot under warranty, even with the KW Coils dropped well below ride height.
Would’ve been a $7500 bill, so happy for that

Soul exhaust should be installed soon to match the Soul Sport Cats I installed when I bought the car.
Need more sound.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Delay?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Rock:

Delay?
View All Quotes

Delay?

Looks like it, I should have been on one of the last boats headed to the east coast.  Looks like my rig will be on the Supreme Ace a couple of weeks late.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#16]
2024 Porsche 911 S/T | A Car You Wished For
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Build complete!

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I love that color
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Nice! Congrats.  When are you scheduled to get a boat ride?  I should be on the Supreme Ace which should be in Emden by the 22nd, and leaving on the 27th.  Houston late January.  I had to sell one of my machine guns to help with the down payment and I’m waiting on the 2nd installment so not too worried about the long wait.  I ordered my T back in the middle of July.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice! Congrats.  When are you scheduled to get a boat ride?  I should be on the Supreme Ace which should be in Emden by the 22nd, and leaving on the 27th.  Houston late January.  I had to sell one of my machine guns to help with the down payment and I’m waiting on the 2nd installment so not too worried about the long wait.  I ordered my T back in the middle of July.
View Quote

Are you seeing the boat details on the my.porsche website, or are you getting that info from your dealer/sales person?

It's supposed to go to Houston since we are doing a PECLA pickup (our European delivery didn't work out, a bit of a story there). The tracker on the Porsche website says arrival in LA on the 14th of February, last I checked.

I think we ordered about the same time, if memory serves.

@6172crew, where are you in TX? We will be driving from the city of angels to home in VA so we have to either cross TX on 10, or cross OK on 40. We are planning on taking our time so a detour wouldn't be a huge deal. If possible, we are intending to meet with @Northbridge; maybe the thought about a May-ish ARFCOM P-Car meet will get slid earlier in the year. Dunno yet. Once the car is on the boat, we are supposed to be able to schedule with PECLA.

TR
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Learned that my European delivery won't work out, due to timing. Going to opt for a PEC delivery; either LA or ATL.
View Quote

The European delivery experience was excellent!   Picked up our car in Liepzig. Porsche put us up at an elegant hotel in downtown Liepzig.  A driver took us to the Porsche facility the next morning. The day starts with a brief introduction, then 30 minutes of track time followed by 30 minutes of off road course with a Porsche professional driver. A tour of their facility and then lunch at their amazing restaurant.  
Then presentation of our car and a familiarization and Q & A session.  This is followed by a bunch of paperwork and instruction.  We took two weeks to drive the car around Europe with emphasis on the Autobahn.
We brought the car to Stuttgart for shipment to the US.  There we had tickets to the Porsche museum.  
An all around amazing trip and I would do it again if I were going to buy another new Porsche.
The only downside was having to pay the EU VAT during the US purchase process. The VAT was returned to us when the vehicle was shipped out of the EU.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:

The European delivery experience was excellent!   Picked up our car in Liepzig. Porsche put us up at an elegant hotel in downtown Liepzig.  A driver took us to the Porsche facility the next morning. The day starts with a brief introduction, then 30 minutes of track time followed by 30 minutes of off road course with a Porsche professional driver. A tour of their facility and then lunch at their amazing restaurant.  
Then presentation of our car and a familiarization and Q & A session.  This is followed by a bunch of paperwork and instruction.  We took two weeks to drive the car around Europe with emphasis on the Autobahn.
We brought the car to Stuttgart for shipment to the US.  There we had tickets to the Porsche museum.  
An all around amazing trip and I would do it again if I were going to buy another new Porsche.
The only downside was having to pay the EU VAT during the US purchase process. The VAT was returned to us when the vehicle was shipped out of the EU.
View All Quotes

I figure I will order at least 1 more P-Car in my lifetime, so that will be the ED trip. Our timing just wasn't compatible with the demand that they have for it. That will give me the trifecta - PECATL, PECLA, and Europe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Took a Sunday drive with other air cooled guys before the rain tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Are you seeing the boat details on the my.porsche website, or are you getting that info from your dealer/sales person?

It's supposed to go to Houston since we are doing a PECLA pickup (our European delivery didn't work out, a bit of a story there). The tracker on the Porsche website says arrival in LA on the 14th of February, last I checked.

@6172crew, where are you in TX? We will be driving from the city of angels to home in VA so we have to either cross TX on 10, or cross OK on 40. We are planning on taking our time so a detour wouldn't be a huge deal. If possible, we are intending to meet with @Northbridge; maybe the thought about a May-ish ARFCOM P-Car meet will get slid earlier in the year. Dunno yet. Once the car is on the boat, we are supposed to be able to schedule with PECLA.

TR
View All Quotes

TR

@The_Rock I’m right off the 10 in Boerne TX across the 10 from the San Antonio Harley Davidson dealership.  The TYP app shows dates coming to Houston and I found this on rennlist.  There is a possible chance my car gets on the Koper but TYD shows the Supreme Ace dates.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting that I stumbled upon this thread today.  Getting bored with a BMW X3 for a daily driver.  I have 2 other vehicles.  While searching for a replacement for the BMW, I keep stumbling upon the Porsche Cayenne.  They seem to be really cheap and I am seeing a lot of them for sale locally with over 200k on the odometer.  For a daily driver that has AWD for MN winters and can tow a boat occasionally, these actually look like a steal.  Seeing 2008 - 2012s within my price range for a daily driver.  

Anyone has any insight into these? Options or motors to avoid? I see v6, v8, and v8 turbo.  Anything to look out for?  Are these reasonable to maintain for someone who is moderately handy (oil changes, brakes, etc)?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By -CUJO-:
Took a Sunday drive with other air cooled guys before the rain tomorrow.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/IMG_5102_jpeg-3062936.JPG
View Quote

Love this 911, very beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#28]

Love this 911, very beautiful.
View Quote

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

So sexy!  
View Quote

Thanks! 🙂
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Freaking Covid!    We were supposed to to do this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Surf:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Surf:

If we end up buying another Porsche we will do the Euro deal.  My wife and I were military brats in Frankfurt and met in high school.  I didn’t do it this time because of my delivery date and knowing it would be cold, wet raining or snowing.  I’ll see about a spring or summer allocation next time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Good news, my car made it on the Neptune Koper this morning.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

Drove mine for the 1st time in 10 days or so because it’s finally a dry spell.
Love taking folks (mainly the girls) that have never been in a Porsche before, for a ride. I make sure the tires are warm enough to bank some decent G’s, thought I gave one mom a heart attack, but guess she had a blast.

Porsche ended up covering my axle boot under warranty, even with the KW Coils dropped well below ride height.
Would’ve been a $7500 bill, so happy for that

Soul exhaust should be installed soon to match the Soul Sport Cats I installed when I bought the car.
Need more sound.
View Quote

Have you had any issues with CELs and the high-flow cats?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TowerTasteless] [#33]

View Quote

Unpopular opinion, 992's are the ugliest 911 Gen so far.  The 991's were pretty if getting large.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TowerTasteless:

Unpopular opinion, 992's are the ugliest 911 Gen so far.  The 991's were pretty if getting large.
View All Quotes

Just wait, once the 992.2 hits, you will pine for the 992.1 days.

The (well circulated) spy shots of the 992.2 are something to behold. I am very glad I have a 992.1 on its way to me.

There are also rumors that most of the range is allegedly hybrid, which will rustle MANY jimmies if true.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Never knew this thread was here!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#36]

The (well circulated) spy shots of the 992.2 are something to behold. I am very glad I have a 992.1 on its way to me.

There are also rumors that most of the range is allegedly hybrid, which will rustle MANY jimmies if true.
View Quote

Usually .2's are better.  So that'll be a first.  The only thing i will ever pine for is that one Porsche wouldn't let me buy, a Spyder.  So come on economic collapse, or a Aston.  Either or will work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Rumors also say they’re bringing back a naturally aspirated engine for the GTS. If true, nobody will care what it looks like.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I personally think the 992 is the best looking of the water cooled 911s.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:04:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jacon] [#39]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:

Rumors also say they’re bringing back a naturally aspirated engine for the GTS. If true, nobody will care what it looks like.
View Quote

The 992.1 will be the LAST true enthusiast 911.  The analog tach, manual gearbox option and strict IC drivetrain will be lauded as the last true sports car platform.

I feel very lucky to have one.

New pic with the HREs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Jacon:

The 992.1 will be the LAST true enthusiast 911.  The analog tach, manual gearbox option and strict IC drivetrain will be lauded as the last true sports car platform.

I feel very lucky to have one.

New pic with the HREs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/449429/IMG_3009_jpeg-3068050.JPG
View Quote

Damn that looks good!

The plan is to sell my SC in spring and replace it with a 992 Carrera T, other considerations are a 991.2 Carrera T or a GT4. I really do enjoy driving my SC, very engaging and the sensation of speed is phenomenal without going into jail territory.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Last I heard some variation of the 4.0 from the 718's.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Last I heard some variation of the 4.0 from the 718's.
View Quote

It’s a NA 3.6L
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Spotted this guy today.  Chatted for a bit.  I guess it's built up to RS specs.  Imported recently from Germany. Super nice guy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Rock] [#44]

View Quote

Hmm. So the base, T, and S versions, either RWD or AWD, will be the 3.0L twin turbo (like there is now), plus add a hybrid system, but the GTS will be NA of some sort, over 3L displacement? Press X to doubt - that sounds like somebody at somebody on rennlist is sniffing their own farts too much as a cope for not getting a GT3.

There has been significant ink spilled, both digitally and in paper, around all the emissions challenges that the current 4.0L engine has. That has been one of the (many) reasons put forth on why the 992 generation is powered by the same 3.0L block, with tune and turbo sizes to give it more power as you move from base to S to GTS. It would be extraordinary that a non GT3 went back to NA. Porsche is going to spend how many hundreds or thousand of hours plus a shitpot full of euros on making a NA engine choice in the GTS only?

Unless, the GT3 doesn't survive into the .2 generation as a road car? "Yeah, you can buy a track only GT3 or GT3 Cup, but none for road use, sorry, the various government regulations have tied our hands!"

I see somebody suggesting a 3.6L? I'd be super curious to hear where that is coming from, from the perspective of having a developed product that can be integrated into the car.
The current 992 is a 3.0L; the Turbos are 3.7L. The GT3s are 4.0Ls. The 718s are 2.5L. How do you get there from here? Flat 6 engines aren't exactly a common thing, so Porsche has a solution for this in their pocket that is going to be ready to go in the fall of 2024 (when the 2025 model year cars start hitting)? Porsche is an outstanding engineering company, no doubt, but like the cliche goes, time and tide wait for no man.

Side note - is there an over/under pool on how much of a price hike that will be attached to the 992.2? We saw the 992.1 go through what, 2 major hikes? 3?

[some editing to clarify a few points]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:52:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#45]

Hmm. So the base, T, and S versions, either RWD or AWD, will be the 3.0L twin turbo (like there is now), plus add a hybrid system, but the GTS will be NA of some sort, over 3L displacement? Press X to doubt - that sounds like somebody at somebody on rennlist is sniffing their own farts too much as a cope for not getting a GT3.

There has been significant ink spilled, both digitally and in paper, around all the emissions challenges that the current 4.0L engine has. That has been one of the (many) reasons put forth on why the 992 generation is powered by the same 3.0L block, with tune and turbo sizes to give it more power as you move from base to S to GTS. It would be extraordinary that a non GT3 went back to NA. Porsche is going to spend how many hundreds or thousand of hours plus a shitpot full of euros on making a NA engine choice in the GTS only?

Unless, the GT3 doesn't survive into the .2 generation as a road car? "Yeah, you can buy a track only GT3 or GT3 Cup, but none for road use, sorry, the various government regulations have tied our hands!"

I see somebody suggesting a 3.6L? I'd be super curious to hear where that is coming from, from the perspective of having a developed product that can be integrated into the car.
The current 992 is a 3.0L; the Turbos are 3.7L. The GT3s are 4.0Ls. The 718s are 2.5L. How do you get there from here? Flat 6 engines aren't exactly a common thing, so Porsche has a solution for this in their pocket that is going to be ready to go in the fall of 2024 (when the 2025 model year cars start hitting)? Porsche is an outstanding engineering company, no doubt, but like the cliche goes, time and tide wait for no man.

Side note - is there an over/under pool on how much of a price hike that will be attached to the 992.2? We saw the 992.1 go through what, 2 major hikes? 3?

View All Quotes

Who knows, but there’s already a roadmap with what they did in the 718. Keep the turbos in the lower models, and let the GTS/GT3 share the NA motors.

I’m curious if they think the 718 4.0 is stealing sales from the 911. I bought one primarily because it was the only way to get a NA porsche. If the 911 had been an option I probably would have gone that route.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
so close
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Not sure how I missed this thread!  I have some reading to do!  I've posted my car in other threads but here is she is:

At the dealer:

In my hands!
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By car_wash_guy:
Not sure how I missed this thread!  I have some reading to do!  I've posted my car in other threads but here is she is:

At the dealer:

https://i.imgur.com/njhiYg4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c1Z367H.jpg

In my hands!
https://i.imgur.com/P165ltH.jpg
View Quote

nice Car

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By car_wash_guy:

At the dealer:

https://i.imgur.com/njhiYg4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c1Z367H.jpg

In my hands!
https://i.imgur.com/P165ltH.jpg
View Quote

I F'ing love this Turbo S!
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow, that Turbo S is awesome. Beautiful car. Love the HREs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 120
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top