Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Maybe I missed it, but how did you guys get ahold of those guns (legally)?

I thought we couldn't get NFA stuff after 86?

View Quote

Not true.

You can't get new NFA stuff...except in several cases, such as SOTs.

However, someone could have a pre '86 LL/RDIAS/reg lower and slap a new .458 upper on it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I love what you've done with the place!  

The 458 SOCOM rules!
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the down range effect? did it kill the paper more than the others?
View Quote
Paper? Who shots PAPER with a .458 SOCOM in full auto!? We were lucky to hit the CAR we were shooting!! Muhahahaha...[}:D]

BTW - Thanks again C. Bell for letting us all shoot that BEAST!! [:D]
View Quote

Seriously though, was that FA .458 controllable or not?

I see allot of brass in the air and it looks like you are still perfectly horizontal.

Really Really want to know if there are issues keeping that thing on target...

-LS
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We meet the first Saturday of each Month.
Here is a link to a map

[url]http://208.16.99.27/inventory_a/Direction_tbl.html[/url]

Here is a link to the MO board.  You won't see a lot of discussion until the week before.  We typically discuss stuff that needs to be destroyed(TVs, Radios, Cars, etc) and with what weapon(s).  We also look at different Courses of Fire for the tactical shoot.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=32[/url]
View Quote

No kidding?  My granddad lives in Columbia and my cousin lives in Marshall.  Great excuse to come visit family and come up for a shoot.  Expect me for May, June, or July Shoot!

Shame the Arkansas hometown board is usually such a wasteland =(  I know there's lots of Arkies on here because I run across them from time to time, but they won't gather over in the Ark forum.

Thanks for the info Missourrians
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In short 2-3 bursts it is controllable.  Beyond that it tends to get away(understated)

View Quote

[LOLabove]
THATS FREAKEN HILARIOUS!!!!!
[ROFL2]
Now why don't you tell 'em what it's REALLY like.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CloningBagels, Zach is only 15. Just a pup!

View Quote

Haha, I'll give him a call in about 10 years. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CloningBagels, Zach is only 15. Just a pup!

View Quote

Haha, I'll give him a call in about 10 years. [;)]
View Quote

Well... OK. I will break the news to him. I'll try and let him down easy. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking from experience, a 9 shot burst isnt that bad, I did 2 of these on Saturday. The first one was a little rough but the second one wasnt bad. CMMG is going to post a video of it for everyone to judge for themselves. How about those action pics of all the weapons, John and his new camera rule!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the down range effect? did it kill the paper more than the others?
View Quote
Paper? Who shots PAPER with a .458 SOCOM in full auto!? We were lucky to hit the CAR we were shooting!! Muhahahaha...[}:D]

BTW - Thanks again C. Bell for letting us all shoot that BEAST!! [:D]
View Quote

Seriously though, was that FA .458 controllable or not?

I see allot of brass in the air and it looks like you are still perfectly horizontal.

Really Really want to know if there are issues keeping that thing on target...

-LS
View Quote

I did two five round mags. The first one was pretty bad. That last round is probably still in orbit.[rolleyes]
The second mag. was a little better. I am positive my first round hit the car! Maybe even the second. I believe the rest climbed over it about ten feet. Luckily we are shooting into a little valley/gully, so no safety issues.
But man it was fun! There just isn't anything like it.

Eric
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I did two five round mags. The first one was pretty bad. That last round is probably still in orbit.[rolleyes]
The second mag. was a little better. I am positive my first round hit the car! Maybe even the second. I believe the rest climbed over it about ten feet. Luckily we are shooting into a little valley/gully, so no safety issues.
But man it was fun! There just isn't anything like it.
Eric
View Quote

Like anything, the more you practice the better you get at it! I let off the trigger when I started to feel it rise up past my point of aim (defined as a 10 foot circle, hehe) and that was 3 rounds. Thanks again Eric for the ammo!! Now I REALLY want a .458 SOCOM upper hehehehe!! [}:D]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Chris, I am arranging a Group buy on 458 SOCOM uppers from Teppo Jutsu and was curious, who did the finish for your 458 SOCOM rifle, it looks to me like it is akin to the DPMS arctic panter model, if you had it custom done, who did it, because I would love mine to have a nice touch like that as well.

~CoLd
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
HEY!

What's wrong with you people?

Someone needs to get that dog some ear
protection!

Link Posted: 4/5/2004 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HEY!

What's wrong with you people?

Someone needs to get that dog some ear
protection!

View Quote

That dog is stone deaf.  It doesn't even flich anymore.  I remember when we were shooting slugs through the FN police shotgun and the dog kept walking in front of the firing line because she doesn't even hear the shots anymore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Did Brad eat the charging handle???  Looks like a crunch on the old nose....

Was the 458 SOCOM rifle "safe, semi, burst, auto" or "safe, semi, auto"??

Link Posted: 4/5/2004 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have it on my desktop...it did not hit me, but that was my first time shooting a full auto rifle so I pulled it in really tight.  I only had four rounds in it and I am pretty big but MAN IT KICKED!  The picture is at the top of the muzzle rise (my finger had come off the trigger) and I could not hold it down.  But I did hit the water jug and the car at about 40 yards...but two were really high.

After I shot the M2, an awesome rifle, but recoil was like shooting a .22 after the .458!

Once again thanks cbell, holeshot4 and CMMG for the chance to shoot that beast.

Brad
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have it on my desktop...it did not hit me, but that was my first time shooting a full auto rifle so I pulled it in really tight.  I only had four rounds in it and I am pretty big but MAN IT KICKED!  The picture is at the top of the muzzle rise (my finger had come off the trigger) and I could not hold it down.  But I did hit the water jug and the car at about 40 yards...but two were really high.

After I shot the M2, an awesome rifle, but recoil was like shooting a .22 after the .458!

Once again thanks cbell, holeshot4 and CMMG for the chance to shoot that beast.

Brad
View Quote

[;)]

Yeah, I've had a few of the Tromix and TeppoJutsu creations...

Currently have a 458 SOCOM upper that looks like any other 16" HBAR Flattop, until you look down the muzzle......[shock]

Never had them full auto but I have fired the thing as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Must be extremely fun on full auto...
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually shoot .308s at the shoots and on the COF, and I was thinking about an AR-10 type weapon next (after my STG-58 is complete…waiting for DSA).  I will be looking into a .458 upper hopefully later this summer.  

The first time I saw one is when holeshot4’s son Zack was next to us shooting it and rocking back from the recoil.  I looked over and said….what the hell is that!  From then on I have been hooked.  The full auto truly brutal, and like Betamo said you get use to it, cbell was controlling it fairly well on a nine round dump.  

The Missouri Defensive Carbine Club sponsored by CMMG has totally corrupted me!  I used to be happy with an SKS….just joking…but I will be looking forward to checking into a .458 SOCOM!

You would have to check with cbell on the selector, but because of my S#!T eating grin I don’t quite remember, but I think it was  safe, semi and auto.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#19]
COLD: the finish was applied Here at CB Engineering, I would be happy to help you out with a refinish that looks like mine, just email me and we will discuss pricing.

Shivan: The 458 SOCOM has a Safe-Semi-Full lower, I put a 3 shot group in it but took it out after 10rds. The gun is controllable after you get used to the recoil. It is an Awesome ride!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#20]
S_H_D: Your welcome, I love the look on peoples faces when they shoot the 458 SOCOM. If it wasn't for Holeshot4 and his ammo the day would have been short.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#21]
MUUHAHAHAHA - I'm on the list for the next group buy of .458 SOCOM uppers!! [8D]

cbell, I'll want you to put a nice black finish on my barrel because it's coming plain stainless - can you do that?

heheeheh, oh MAN I can't WAIT (2-3 months)!! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Beta, no problem on the barrel refinish. The barrel on mine was refinished in black also. Normally takes us about 3-5 days.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to have to see about going to one of these shoots. I'm in Rolla (for school) but go home to the St. Louis area some, so if they get the STL area shoot going I'd probably try to get in on that.

I don't have anything interesting compared to what you guys get to shoot. I've just got a Sistema and sks. Though, I'm TRYING to get that fixed. It'll be a while before I get another 3 or 4 hundred dollars to buy the parts to an AR with. Hopefully I can find a summer job and have the money to get one by my birthday, but in the mean time, I have what I have. I am VERY interested in trying your shooting course out as I have never shot at anything like that. My shooting usually consists of paper, and I sometimes go to the woods to shoot sticks or rocks. Combining that with the fact I kind of suck, it should at least prove entertaining for everyone else ;-)

Unfortunately, I already know that I will not be able to make the next one as I am going diving on may 1st (that saturday) in SE MO, so hopefully they WILL get the STL shoots going on a regular basis so I have better chances to make one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It'll be a while before I get another 3 or 4 hundred dollars to buy the parts to an AR with. Hopefully I can find a summer job and have the money to get one by my birthday,
View Quote

I built my Dissipator for $535.
Their was A pic of it (CMMG pulled it down At my request)
They can be built cheaply but the problem I ran into was that their are SOO many options when you put one together, It's hard to decide what to build.
Defintly try and make it to one of the CMMG/MODCC shoots and take A look at what every one eleses to help you decied what you want...Then walk up the hill to the CMMG shop and fork over your cash [:)]
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I realize AR's CAN be made pretty cheap, but I don't really know what I am doing. I am planning on getting one of the kits from JT distributing that has EVERYTHING but the lower. I assume it has the internal's to the lower (and I have asked a guy who I believe said that is true). That way I can't forget a part or anything.

The specific kit I am looking at is the 20" expedition kit. It is $489, so the AR would cost me around $600. Right now, I have...well, no money at all. I do have about $275-$300 coming to me from winning a competition at school (wasn't hard, they cancelled it, we were the only ones to fill out the forms correctly, so we "won"). I am also planning on selling my 243 reloading gear on ebay since I have had NO luck selling it by other means. I should get around $75-$125 for that. But, I don't have a job (I have sure tried looking, and thought I had one, but they never called like they said they would). Add in the fact I am not going to be able to start working for the summer until around june 7th, and the time to get the paycheck, and it is going to be REAL iffy whether or not I am going to be able to get the gun by my B-day (july 6th). Then add in even more money so I can buy a couple of mags, and reloading stuff (1000 bullets is 26, dies are about the same, and primers around 20. I can probably steal 100 rounds of brass from my dad until I can get some once fired stuff). It will definately be a while. For me, getting the money to get an AR is like you all getting the money and justifying the purchase of a barret 82A1 and reloading stuff for it ;-)

Edit: What I am not sure on is the length of stock to get. I am debating getting the tactical shorty stock or standard A2. The distance from stock to trigger would only be around an inch shorter than that of my sks I think. Though, what I'll PROBABLY do is get the A2, then later save up more, get the ace skeleton stock, and sell the A2. I want to save that extra 9 ounces since I am a weakling :D
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Spudgunr: When the time comes I can help you out with AR stuff, I am in Cuba, about 20 miles from you. I do work for CMMG and others. Just let me know if i can help.
Chris
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Cbell: Just posted over in the MO section when I saw you were in cuba. Thanks for the offer! I HOPE I won't have to take you up on it. The JT kits have the uppers fully assembled, and the main page has a good tutorial on assembling the lower. I don't know if I am going to be in rolla by the time I get the money for the AR or not. At my current rate of getting money, I'll have the $$$ for it a year ago. If I cannot find either a decent paying job or one I can work 60 hours a week here in rolla, I might be forced to get a job at home. I really have no preference where I live, I just want to earn as much money as I can and hopefully have a fun job or work with fun people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#29]
video no workie for me
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
COLD: the finish was applied Here at CB Engineering, I would be happy to help you out with a refinish that looks like mine, just email me and we will discuss pricing.
View Quote

Have you done anything in OD green?  I'm thinking of refinishing an Benelli, and considering going green.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here is a 2 tone he did for us

[url]http://208.16.99.27/cmmg_images/tbl_images/Receivers%20Firearms/Two_Tone_Green_M4.jpg[/url]
View Quote

good looking weapon
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#33]
That looks good, I might have to go with that.

*I sent you an email cbell, thanks.

Link Posted: 4/7/2004 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We added a Vid of the .458 in action.

Chris w/.458 Socom [b]VID[/b]
[url]http://208.16.99.27/vids/Chris_458.mpg[/url]
View Quote
Windows Media Player doesn't like this one! What codec are you guys using?
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We added a Vid of the .458 in action.

Chris w/.458 Socom [b]VID[/b]
[url]http://208.16.99.27/vids/Chris_458.mpg[/url]
View Quote
Windows Media Player doesn't like this one! What codec are you guys using?
View Quote

Mpeg2. The link didn't work for me, I remembered I hadn't installed the mpeg2 codec since my last reformat, I had the thing floating on my comp, so I installed it and the video works now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you get sound with the video? I don't dammit! [:(]

Thanks for the codec info!
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]
My GUESS is that perhaps the video was taken with a digital camera? I don't know, but I didn't get sound either. If there WAS sound, you'd get that too as it would most likely be mp3 or some other very common sound format.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you get sound with the video? I don't dammit! [:(]

Thanks for the codec info!
View Quote

Crap!!! All I get is sound!
And I don't even know what "codec" means.[B)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#40]
CMMG,

Any chance to get some video of that FA .458SOCOM with SUBSONIC loads???????????

[:D]

-LS
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I got the vid with sound.... DAMN!

Pushed a fairly good sized man around, and I will wear my hearing protection next time I watch the video! DOUBLE DAMN!

Great Video! Thanks 4 sharin! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All righty.  I just re-uploaded the vid and it seems to work better.  I think my computer was having a bad hair day.

John
View Quote
Sweet, it works great now! Can't wait for the can and the sub-sonics!! Muhahahaha [}:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad to hear you guys are liking the SOCOM, she tends to raise a few eyebrows at the range.... the 600 gr subsonic loads are a kitten compared to the full power 300s, but neither have the snap of the 400 gr at 1700 fps .... those REALLY sting!

Anyway, can any of you educate me on how to get the video to run on my computer?  I run 98SE and went to the MS website and downloaded WMP 9.  Now, it tells me when I click the link that it is "connecting" but even leaving it up and running all night it never completed the task and with DSL that seems strange.

What am I doing wrong?  I even rebooted ... I guess I will go back to playing with guns and leave the computer stuff to the computer guys ...

Marty tW
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Try right-clicking on the link and Save Target As... to your desktop, then try playing it.

Damn fine rifle! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Haha...soon enough I will be able to have fun like that...

Full auto 458 SOCOM should be a fun time.

Link Posted: 4/10/2004 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Man, that P90 just does something to me![jump]
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Try right-clicking on the link and Save Target As... to your desktop, then try playing it.

Damn fine rifle! [:D]
View Quote

That did the trick!  Runs like a top I see ;o)  I sent Chris footage of an SBR with can and 500gr subsonic loads, not sure if he or John will post a link, but you can see the difference in the two loads.

Marty
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I think I'd dig a 458 upper - even in semi-auto...might have to call TJ
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top