Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2001 8:01:13 AM EDT
...on a pig hunt? I'm going wild pig hunting on a ranch in the hill country in Texas over Memorial Day weekend, and am considering slinging my AR over my shoulder and putting my HK USP Tactical in a holster.

Am I just too tactical for my own good? Okay, so I'll leave my black nomex balaclava home, and I'll use my kydex holster instead of my Eagle drop-leg thigh holster.

I think an M855 would do a world of hurt on a piggie. Or maybe some of those Hornady TAP rounds?

Can I get an Amen from the congregation? Testify, brothers!

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
That's what I would take. What kind of setup you got on that AR?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes on the AR15, but then again, why not take two USP Tacticals?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Tras: A Colt 16" HB upper on a PWA lower w/ Colt retractable stock.

gunmonkey: I only have the one Tactical, and I'm not too good at the John Woo-style two fisted firing. I figured a rifle for 20-100 yards and the pistol for inside 20 yards.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The Hornaday TAP do real well on small deer.  I recommend them!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Be very VERY careful .... huntin' Porky with a AR is very addictive. For many years I hunted hog with a handgun ( Ruger Super Redhawk ) as did many of my hawg stalkin' buddies. I got a wild hair one day and decided to use my 7.62x39 AR to "bring home the bacon" and I've used it ever since. If your using a .223, IMHO I'd suggest a soft tip round.
Good hunting and stay safe.  --Rooster
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in AZ, AR15's ar the preferred rifle for Javalina hunting, Javalina are med/sm wild pigs in case you dont have them.  It is mostly brush here so any shot you take will be fairly close and probably offhand.  Also semi's work well becasue they travel in packs and can get pretty pissed off.

I dont know the laws where your from, but in AZ it is illegal to hunt with FMJ or armor peircing ammo.  You also cant have more than a 5 round mag in the gun.  Most people load up the mag in their gun, 5 round, with good hunting type ammo.  Then they keep a mag or two, 30 round, loaded with anything your prefer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Jarhead you paint a pretty picture. I might even have to reach for some tissue paper if your tactical is Safariland. I say take the tactical, there are not many chances we civilians get to run around with an AR15 and a tactical holster outside the range.Also if you get a malfunction with the AR you can quick draw the USP to possibly take a shot. I have always wanted to go Hog hunting, but never have.Happy hunting.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
DizzyRooster: I'm willing to risk the addictive nature of AR pig hunting...as a public service, of course.

threegunar: I took a javelina with a Sig P226 in 1995. I went out to Sonoita with a couple of my fellow Jarheads and ended up the only one to bring meat home. Mmmmm...javelina-licious! They are tough little bastards, though. This one laughed at my 9mm, so I shot him again.

Matt: I'm gonna put some 230gr Golden Sabers in the Tactical. I heard that LAPD SWAT has gone to the Golden Sabers, and I'm interested to see how they do.

Thanks y'all.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
jarhead: will you be using dogs? tap ammo 75gr.?
not the 55gr.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, use a hunting round. The GI stuff does not do the job right on wild pigs, boars and javalinas.

And damn, IT'S FUN!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmmmm, Javalina spit roasted with some good ole Tex-ass style BBQ sauce and some Lonestar beer!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Silver Surfer: I will not have access to hunting dogs. I will be patrolling and glassing with binos. 75gr TAP? On it.

Older Crow: Thanks for the heads up. I think the TAP that SS mentioned is the answer.

ClearFire: Mmmmmmmm....porky goodness. But Lonestar is nasty. Shiner Bock, baby! Texas brewed and will get you Texas stewed!

Garryowen: I was stationed at MCAS Yuma. It was a bit of a drive to Sonoita, but well worth it for me. There were a bunch of those little German Shepherd sized whitetails running around there, out by the dump. I thought they were called Coue's deer, named for some Army-type Lt. who discovered the breed. My Warrant Officer was stationed at JITC at Huachuca though, and he said the hunting was superb.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm going wild pig hunting on a ranch in the hill country in Texas over Memorial Day weekend.
View Quote

Uhhh, I hate to bring this up, but....

...these are feral pigs you are hunting, right???

Wouldn't want to turn someone's pet into bacon prematurely, would we????

[;)]

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
garandman: Oh yes, feral hogs. The gent has a ranch, and apparently, a hog problem. A few friends and I are going to help him with his problem. Hey, I'm a giver, I do what I can for my fellow man! [}:D]

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
garandman: Oh yes, feral hogs. The gent has a ranch, and apparently, a hog problem. A few friends and I are going to help him with his problem. Hey, I'm a giver, I do what I can for my fellow man! [}:D]

View Quote

You're all heart, Jarhead!!!!!!!! Give 'em some lead for me!!!!!!!!!

I guess having a "pig problem" is a foreign concept to me. Are they like running around, out of control, and you have to shoot 'em??

I guess that would be like our "people who don't use turn signals while driving" problem here in SC.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're all heart, Jarhead!!!!!!!! Give 'em some lead for me!!!!!!!!!

I guess having a "pig problem" is a foreign concept to me. Are they like running around, out of control, and you have to shoot 'em??

I guess that would be like our "people who don't use turn signals while driving" problem here in SC.

[}:D]

View Quote

Yes, a small herd of feral hogs can root up an acre of crops a day.

The only problem I see with applying this model to non-turnsignallers in SC is that Texas has an open season/no bag limit policy on feral hogs, so you may have to do some lobbying to get the State Assembly to help you out.[)(]

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top