Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2001 2:48:35 AM EDT
So here I am shooting my brand new SAR 1 at the Calverton range in Long Island, NY. Person in the point next to me was shooting an AR15. There is a 5 second rule in effect: BANG,1,2,3,4,5...BANG. I was following that rule no problem. Person next to me was also following that rule. BUT this is how it sounded to the Range Officer: BANG,1,2,BANG,3,4,BANG,BANG,5,1,2,3,BANG,4,5,BANG,BANG.  Said range officer comes running over screaming "Hey Rambo, there is a 5 second rule!!!!" at which point we both politely explained to him that we were both following that rule it was just alternating rifles firing, NOT a single rifle letting off quick bursts. He goes, "I'M 74 YEARS OLD(with hearing protection on and 50 yards away to our left in an open sand pit by the way) AND I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AK's AND A AR's SOUND!!! He then took down our license plate #'s(like I care) and said next time he had to come over to us he would kick us off and notify the authorities (oh, BTW I AM the authorities!!!) WTF??? I would personally never go back to the Calverton Range but places to shoot on Long Island are few you know? So I just hit him with a whole mess of yes sirs and I apologize for my ignorance sir's. Time for me to get authorized for full auto I guess...[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
So did you alternate shots or did one of you sit down? I bet you were only counting to four.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So did you alternate shots or did one of you sit down? I bet you were only counting to four.
View Quote

I guess we were alternating shots, it got to the point where one of us would empty a 30 round mag then sit and reload while the other shot their 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds to me like said range officer needs his hearing checked..
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a senile range officer in charge
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no doubt it happened like waverunner said it but if you know that range you would know why the range officer is like that. I shoot there all the time but there are a lot of people coming out from NYC and they are very dangerous people. They don't know how to use a firearm. They also have illegal stuff. So if that range has to be policed like that then so be it. We don't have many ranges left. By the way they let you load more then 5 rounds in a mag unlike most other ranges. They have a 200 yard pit and on long Island I don't know off anyother place to shoot that distance or longer. Finally, I know the range officer his name is dominic and he is 100% pro gun. He just doesn't want the range closed,there have been insidences in other ranges as well as that one and we are fighting to keep the few we have.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Lougotzz:

Who cares what other losers do? If Wave was in the right why should he kiss dominic's ass no matter how much he loves the 2nd amendment.  Some of these RO's have a god complex.

Wave:

Shame on you for kissing this guy's ass.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lougotzz:

Who cares what other losers do? If Wave was in the right why should he kiss dominic's ass no matter how much he loves the 2nd amendment.  Some of these RO's have a god complex.

Wave:

View Quote

Normally I wouldn't kiss ANYONE's ass BUT there are so few places for me to shoot (unlike AR?) so that's why I did it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have no doubt it happened like waverunner said it but if you know that range you would know why the range officer is like that. I shoot there all the time but there are a lot of people coming out from NYC and they are very dangerous people. They don't know how to use a firearm. They also have illegal stuff. So if that range has to be policed like that then so be it. We don't have many ranges left. By the way they let you load more then 5 rounds in a mag unlike most other ranges. They have a 200 yard pit and on long Island I don't know off anyother place to shoot that distance or longer. Finally, I know the range officer his name is dominic and he is 100% pro gun. He just doesn't want the range closed,there have been insidences in other ranges as well as that one and we are fighting to keep the few we have.
View Quote

If that was the case then Dom should charge the normal $8 for Suffolk County residents and charge some ridiculous amount to keep out the "dangerous NYC" people. Waitaminute I'm a NYC cop that lives in Suffolk(Hauppauge). Does that make me half-dangerous?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Wave:

That's true, I guess I take living in the South for granted where you can have full 30s and can bang away.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
A 70+ yo RO on a power trip. Sounds like the guy from San Gabriel Valley in CA. Hey maybe its the same guy and is holding 2 jobs. That's the same reason I stopped going to SGVGC.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I am suprised to hear you even have a range in LI. Our company is headquartered on Long Island and I can't imagine where there would even be a range. I didn't get out much while I was there though....

Yep, the range 10 miles from my house sounds like a war zone. Full 30's as fast as you can move them... They don't care.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am suprised to hear you even have a range in LI. Our company is headquartered on Long Island and I can't imagine where there would even be a range. I didn't get out much while I was there though....

Yep, the range 10 miles from my house sounds like a war zone. Full 30's as fast as you can move them... They don't care.
View Quote

Exit 71 on the Long Island Expressway (eastbound), make right, go for about 1.5 miles, entrance on Right Hand side, real easy to miss.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Talk about heavy handed:

I guess pretty soon, well be seeing a "I have no use for old, senile range masters" thread.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a range nazi to me. I'm fortunate, at our range the 5 second rule, if enforced, would require that a 20 rd mag be emptied in that amount of time!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
And here I thought you were talking about dropping food on the ground at the Sizzler....

Next time you go get 4 of your AR15 friends to go with you, line up, each of you put a 30 round mag in your AR, and then each of you shoot off a round every five seconds...one second apart!
That should have that old shit crapping in his pants!
[X]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A 70+ yo RO on a power trip. Sounds like the guy from San Gabriel Valley in CA. That's the same reason I stopped going to SGVGC.
View Quote

I met that at same fellow.  Kinda a pain in the butt.  I was picking up spent 30 carbine brass(not mine), and got a verbal tongue lashing from him saying I can't pick spent brass that is not mines.  I saw him later picking up the cases that was left.  I guess it is one of the priviledges of being an RO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats why I shoot only at ranges without range NAZI`s. Who needs em anyway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Man,a "5 second rule"?? leave that place,what a jip.At the indoor range I go to,the don't allow FMJ .223,but they do allow class3 weapons, rapid fire,and whatever.I've actually blown up the target holder twice during rapid fire,and they just said "here,put the new one up before you leave" I also pick up all the brass,even of calibers I don't own,because they look cool:)
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#21]
YIKES!!! At my club at our SLOWEST, most laid back pistol shoot (Sunday closest to Veterans Day- Army vs USMC vs Navy vs USAF - loser buys
the beer & food) a shooter has
to, starting at the ready position,
fire 6 shots in 6 seconds at multiple targets
(up to 6 if it happens to be a Bianchi plate rack.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#22]
A "5 second rule"?

Hell, even here in the Gun Owners' Penal Colony of French Guiana (from which there is no escape, Monsieur Papillon!!), AKA Massachusetts, we fire away with 30s,40s Beta mags, whatever, no time limit. One guy at the range last week brought his Bren gun- lotsa fun, lotsa rounds expended, no complaints.

Well, there is one range I know that officially states on the signs: 6 round limit in mags of all guns (8 round exception for Garands), but nobody observes it... most members at that club would rather sit in the clubhouse at the bar anyway...>burp<.... :^)
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#23]
It might really make the range officer's day if you were to empty a full 30 rounder real quick like.  When he asks you what the hell you are doing, simply state that you fired all 30 shots in UNDER 5 seconds.  Ask him if he would like to try.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#24]
5 second rules????? Ranges not approved for handguns???? WTF????? I think everyone knows unwritten rules about not firing if the guy next to you is lining up a long range shot or something or not running your targets downrange or home on an electric line while another is firing, but why would a range officer care if the two guys were standing next to each other blasting away when neither is complaining? And not approved for handguns? I go sometimes to an indoor range where handguns only are allowed obviously, but if it's safe to send 7.62 and 5.56 downrange at this one, how could it NOT be safe for handguns? this all sounds weird if handguns are deemed unsafe on a certain range I wouldn't want to shoot anything bigger than a .177 cal daisy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]
95thfoot, what range do you go to?  Most of the ones I looked at had some silly mag cap or shot per second rule...
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess I'm pretty lucky living in Tennessee. I live outside the city limits and I own 35 acres. I have a place set up next to a pond where I shoot. I back my truck up, and have everything lay out on the tailgate. The only close nieghbor I have never complains, when he hears me shooting he'll usually ride up on his 4-wheeler with a couple of his guns to join me. I've had over 20 friends over before shooting skeet and grilling out with no complaints so I guess I'm pretty fortunate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#28]
These are strange times, and getting stranger!As shooters we are getting sqeezed out of places to shoot.I'm greatful for living in the woods with good neighbors.[:D][heavy]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, If you are ever out here in NEW MEXICO look me up. I Have a range where you can shoot anything you want. I don't care if you have a flamethrower, bring it!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
The range I belong to is cool-no mag limit, no rounds in mag limit, no enforced ban on FMJ.  The only downside is a max range of 92 yards[:(]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Sportsman Supply I am in Silver City where are you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The proper range etiquette is shoot one round, talk about it for 10 minutes, shoot another round, grumble for 10 minutes about the kids next to you with their high capacity Remington Model 700s, shoot another round, go to the RO to complain about those inconsiderate kids shooting loud military bullets, shoot another round, talk about it for 30 minutes until cease fire. Pack up all 4 rounds of .218 bee brass, your Ruger No. 1, yell at the kids telling them that they are the reason why guns are being banned, and then go home from a long and exhausting day of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I am in Hobbs New Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a screamer get after me on the 300 yard line once.  He was a club official who didn't know what the procedures were and chewed me out.  I sent a quiet message back through the board members and haven't had a problem with him since then.  I had to eat shit on the line to be polite, but put the word back on him politely as soon as possible.

There aren't enough antis.  we have to be our own enemies too I guess.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lougotzz:

Wave:

View Quote

Guys get real!!! I am not saying that anyone should kiss anyone's ass but we have had bullets go over the berm and in peoples yard. They just had a hearing on closing that range. Part of it was closed for a while. We have maybe 3 to 6 ranges here. That I know of. Very little places to shoot. Dominic deals with all kinds of shit there he is no nazi by any means. He wants to preserve the range. He was a high power competitor. He loves the shooting sports.He is always polite and respectful to me. Waverunner handled it right he was polite and respected the mans athority. Just like when I got a speeding ticket I was not the only one speeding on the LIE. That road is like the auto bahn. But I was respectful to the officer. Waverunner has to submit to the range officers authority. Waverunner is a cop not god. Just cause you are a cop does not mean that you are above everyone in this world. I am not saying that you acted that way. Just making a reference. Now about waverunner saying he is a NYC cop in suffolk. He must be half dangerous. You know that people in NYC are not allowed to shoot like us they have to have a special day by appointment to shoot their handguns. They can't take them out without that time appointed to them by the city. So when they finally get out to shoot they are wild men. I know this was in the rifle pit but they by no meant are orientated as sportsmen. Some are but most just pull the trigger and hit nothing!! 2 weeks ago I had a guy at the pistol pit walk down and try to hang a target while live fire was happening. He didn't care he was so out of it that he just walk out and almost got killed.I wasn't even shooting other people were. I packed up my stuff and walked out. I did that many times cause the NYC crowd was coming and it was getting to dangerous. I have shot at that place for 15 years and have seen it get more dangerous and more restrictive.

Waverunner I am not putting you down at all just trying to shed some ligh on the subject.Waverunner next time you go shooting there he will have forgotten the whole thing let it go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn am I glad that I have a range in my backyard. I would hate to have to deal with all that crap to go shoot. I guess so of us are just lucky is all.   [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
The Calverton range has turned to shit.  It used to be great.  Last time I was there the stupid old man (not George) came over and said the reason all of these new gun laws were being enacted was because of guns like mine (an L1A1).  He said they had no place in civilians hands.  I hit him with a few choice remarks and he started to back pedal.  

The month before we were skeet shooting in the back when the old fool comes flying up in his truck screaming "you guys are out of here!!!"  I thought he was going to blow a gasket!  I asked him why, and he says "because you're shooting that rifle back here".  Me, standing there with a Remington 870 in my hands.  I tell the old man it's probably the most common shotgun made, a 12 ga 870 and not a rifle.  With that he says "ok" and takes off as fast as he came.

It's really going to hell out there...  I need another place to shoot when I'm in NY...
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I am not saying the calverton range is perfect. But if that place closes we will have no place to shoot. The range in huntington is a real nazi place. I don't like the 5 second rule either but if I want to shoot I have to listen to it. I think waverunner was in the right. He was just shooting but the guy came over to him. The only thing you can do is be polite tell your side of the story shake your head and let him blow off steam. If you don't like it then don't shoot there. But the whole point that waverunner was making is that we don't have a big selection. I wish I had a big selection but I don't, NY is not a great gun place and LI is even worse then that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Man, that makes me really appreciate living where I live. I've got two public ranges free of charge set up by the Department of Conservation on public land within a half hour of me. I usually just shoot on the land I live on but it's kinda fun to go to the range sometimes as well. You'd be amazed though, even though these ranges are free, open to the public, no supervision, and no restrictions as to what you can shoot (I've seen guys out there with .50 bolt actions) there are still shitheads who come out there and shoot up the restrooms, wooden posts, wooden conservation signs, dumpsters, whatever they can find to shoot at. Fucking douchebags. They actually shut the ranges  down for   awhile because of it but luckily they ended up opening it back up. I guess sometimes people don't know how good they got it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, let's just say I have no ill-feelings for the old guy and I'll be at Calverton when my days off roll around again.  I enjoy shooting too much to let a bad expeience get me down.  As for the NYC "shooters", I guess you'll just know when they're around and we'll take it from there. See you all at the range.....[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Man, that makes me really appreciate living where I live. I've got two public ranges free of charge set up by the Department of Conservation on public land within a half hour of me. I usually just shoot on the land I live on but it's kinda fun to go to the range sometimes as well. You'd be amazed though, even though these ranges are free, open to the public, no supervision, and no restrictions as to what you can shoot (I've seen guys out there with .50 bolt actions) there are still shitheads who come out there and shoot up the restrooms, wooden posts, wooden conservation signs, dumpsters, whatever they can find to shoot at. Fucking douchebags. They actually shut the ranges  down for   awhile because of it but luckily they ended up opening it back up. I guess sometimes people don't know how good they got it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Lougotzz is not only a Bigot, he's also full of shit also. The real story behide Calverton is the fellow that owns the house next to it wants the range shut down period. It has nothing to due with rounds leaving the range because they never did. This problem is just like what huntington had, which was non-members shooting in the woods bewteen the range & peoples homes. This attack on "Old Man George" Has been going on for atleast 2 years with his neighbor.
Second how dare you group all NYC folks as wild men with guns. Myself & many others travel up to 1 1/2 hours to use these ranges and We take great care, safety & pride when shooting because these places are all we have left down state. You grouping us together is no better then the rest of the country bad mouthing us because we're New Yorkers
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Second how dare you group all NYC folks as wild men with guns. Myself & many others travel up to 1 1/2 hours to use these ranges and We take great care, safety & pride when shooting because these places are all we have left down state. You grouping us together is no better then the rest of the country bad mouthing us because we're New Yorkers
View Quote

I personally have never had any problems with NYC shooters BUT c'mon now if I saw somebody walking downrange to hang up new targets in the pistol pit while others were shooting...that's just a scary thought, I'm sure that guy was an exception.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lougotzz is not only a Bigot, he's also full of shit also. The real story behide Calverton is the fellow that owns the house next to it wants the range shut down period. It has nothing to due with rounds leaving the range because they never did. This problem is just like what huntington had, which was non-members shooting in the woods bewteen the range & peoples homes. This attack on "Old Man George" Has been going on for atleast 2 years with his neighbor.
View Quote

Don't call me full of s it. Thats not cool! First of all in the trap area they were throwing cans up in the air and shooting them. With rifle. The rounds went into neighborhoods behind the range. Also if you are from NYC and on this board you are not the kind of people I am talking about. And if you have a problem with people hating New Yorkers don't start calling them a bigot and full of s it. That gives them a reason to hate New Yorkers. Maybe people hate New Yorkers around this country cause of the attitude you showed a fellow New Yorker on this board. Me. The whole situation was in Newsday paper a while back. And the trap area was closed for a while. I think it is reopened. Try to show show some respect to a fellow shooter who is on your side.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, let's just say I have no ill-feelings for the old guy and I'll be at Calverton when my days off roll around again.  I enjoy shooting too much to let a bad expeience get me down.  As for the NYC "shooters", I guess you'll just know when they're around and we'll take it from there. See you all at the range.....[heavy]
View Quote

Waverunner I think dominic should have said he was wrong to you and your friend. But since he didn't the best thing was to do exactly what you did. If there were 10 ranges around then you could have told him where to go. But beggers cant be choosers. Next time you go there he will have forgotten it any how.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#47]
What a bunh of horse sh*t! There is no way on this earth I would pay my hard earned money to be a "member" of any such range where some old cod sack would tell me I cant put more than 5 rounds in a magazine, only shoot every 5 seconds, or that my rifle is somehow responsible for all the worlds problems. These are the very people who are willing to compromise to the gun grabbers and will sell you out one day. I dont care how many high powered competitions he has participated in. I once went to a range and I was scolded for showing a new unloaded weapon to a friend who happened to be there, because I wasnt in the proper "area". I left and have never been back, and never will. I go shooting to relax and to get away from all the B.S. I sure dont want to have to be concerned with having to wonder how may seconds it's been since I fired my last shot. How the heck can you concentrate on your shooting when having to worry about such crazy ass rules? Sounds like a country club where stiffs sit around and sip brandy.

P.S. I would go back to the range with that SAR-1 and bump fire a 30 round mag just to watch the blood vessels pop out of his head.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Lougotzz read your post over again & you'll see they come off wrong about NY'ers.I've seen some islanders do some assholish things at the range too, recklessness is not in people from just a certain area but in fools from all areas. second don't believe everything the papers print. Dom's was not around alot when those claimed problems were happening, George was looking after the range at that time. the neighbor next to the range wants it shutdown period (no more to that story). If you remember a few years back huntington had the same problem except a boy scout was shot in the woods near the range. but the state troopers cleared the range of any wrong doing. the shot was later claimed to be fired from someone in the woods near the range that was not a member and did not belong there.when someone doesn't want something near them they do & say anything to get it shut down or moved.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
how the hell do you put up with that crap!
i say [-!-!-] [-!-!-] [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
how the hell do you put up with that crap!
i say [-!-!-] [-!-!-] [-!-!-]
View Quote

(Whine) But it's the only place we have to shoot!(whine)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top