Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 2:18:45 PM EDT
    I imagine this is a no brainer for some of you but I just heard that my local range will be having a "high power rifle" clinic.  There was just a small blurb in the paper about it, and it said the class culminates in the purchase of a M1 Garand rifle.  Someone told me this is a government sponsered program that occurs all the time and you get some certificate to buy an M1 from the gov. for like $500.  I am curious now.  Surely there must be something on the web where I can learn more.

Or if anyone could tell me, is this worth taking, do I have to buy the M1 right away, are the M1s they offer worth the money.....etc.

Any info you got would be greatly appreciated, or maybe a link to where I can do my own research.

Thanks guys.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.odcmp.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.odcmp.com/[/url]

damn....beat me by 10 seconds
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I am actually going to do the Garand clinic this coming Saturday at a local club range.  The cost is $35, and includes the use of their rifles, ammo, and lunch is provided.  I'll let ya know how it goes.  

BTW, you can buy a garand at a viriety of places on the net.  I just looked into this in the past week, and have already located them at various prices.  Cheapest was under $400 (refinished on new receiver), and the high end was $1500+.

[url]http://www.m1garand.com/Garand%20Rifles.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/riflesmain2.htm[/url]

This program is new to me, and the only advantage I can see at this point is the fact that you [i]may[/i] save a couple hundred bucks on an original rifle.  From what I understand, it is purely a "luck of the draw" ordeal.  The numbers will most likely not match on a service grade rifle that costs $500 from CMP. I will find out more details this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't buy a "new reciever" rifle if you can avoid it. The recievers are CAI and are purported to be out of spec. Go CMP and get a GI reciever M1 Garand with a guarantee. All mil spec.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just became aware that they offer AR's, as well.  Slightly more hoops to jump through before receiving one though.

[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Programs/AR15.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My CMP Garand is the best money I ever spent.
I got this a few years ago. It was $275 without wood.
I got the Walnut stock from a local parts guy for $50, cleaned it up and applied Tung Oil.
Now they are $400-$500 and still worth it
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/wg/kE/wK/YS20043.jpg[/img]
www.odcmp.com is the only way to go. If you're a veteran or cop, you don't even need to turn in a score.
The commercial cast recievers are JUNK.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
    I imagine this is a no brainer for some of you but I just heard that my local range will be having a "high power rifle" clinic.  There was just a small blurb in the paper about it, and it said the class culminates in the purchase of a M1 Garand rifle.  Someone told me this is a government sponsered program that occurs all the time and you get some certificate to buy an M1 from the gov. for like $500.  I am curious now.  Surely there must be something on the web where I can learn more.

Or if anyone could tell me, is this worth taking, do I have to buy the M1 right away, are the M1s they offer worth the money.....etc.

Any info you got would be greatly appreciated, or maybe a link to where I can do my own research.

Thanks guys.  

View Quote
                                          Phil, where in n.y. are you located? i went through the cmp routine last year, but never could finish the "official shooting" requirement...actually, i wanted to get mossberg 22`s from them, since i collect them. the local club i belong to was in the cmp program a few years ago, but i could not even generate enough interest today to have a boy scout troop shoot.....sad....anyway, i would seriously like to finish the last and only part of the cmp critera i need to purchase from them.........they will put you on thier e-mail list....odcomp.com...get back to me please...B&G
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy your M-1 through the CMP. Get on their web site for details but it breaks down like this.
Be member of a CMP affiliated club, Shoot in CMP santioned match( this requirement is waived for Active military/veterans, Police officers)
must be a U.S. citizen. If you want to join a club check out the Freds link on shotgun news and join riverside club for $20.00. 500.00 will get you a service grade M-1. Service grade means that it will be in the condition that would be acceptable for  service when they were the issued rifle for the U.S. military. While not factory original they are all U.S.G.I. parts
and have been rebuilt at least once. The rifles I'm seeing lately are very nice considering their age and storage handling. Support the program and call your congressmen to encourage the army to release more. They are going to run out next year if they don't get some more released.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the CMP M-1 Garand program is a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The majority of the Garands I have been reading about lately coming from CMP are Springfield and an occasional Winchester.  I'm curious just how many manufacturers made the Garand, and which are the more sought after models.  

I have very little knowledge about these rifles at this point. These are the only manufacturers I am aware of. I know therer must be others.

Winchester
Springfield
International Harvester

I remember a few years back running across a few M1 Carbines made by Singer and Underwood.  Did these two companies also make Garands?  

Feed me. My knowledge has shrunk as if I have been on vacation from guns for the past 10 years.  Actually, I guess I have. :^(

Edited to complement Paul for the nice pic of his piece shown above.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to add H&R to your list.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Doh, I knew that.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am actually going to do the Garand clinic this coming Saturday at a local club range.  The cost is $35, and includes the use of their rifles, ammo, and lunch is provided.  I'll let ya know how it goes.  

View Quote

Cope -

I'll see ya there!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never shot highpower, but I'll be bringing my match Garand.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Black&Green,

I am in the southern tier of NY, and the club where the clinic is to be located is "Square Deal" (sportsmans club?).  I don't know anything about it yet but I am going to call them later this week and find out what I can.  I think they are located in Johnson City.

(I was going to contact you though e-mail but didn't find it in your profile)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I've seen someone try and shoot a $400 gunshow reweld - it was a jam-O-matic.

On the other hand, my M1 from CMP shoots like a dream.  A new stock and look how good she looks:

[img]http://members.home.net/vbsolutions/pics/DCP00736.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a great program.  I've heard some internet horror stories, but I've never met anyone in real life that was other than happy with their DCM gun.  From what I've seen the worst DCM gun is better than 90% of what you see at local gunshows.  They are solid shooters and can serve as the basis of "rebuilt" matching gun if you're lucky.  My DCM M1 is a Winchester and came with a Winchester trigger though the barrel and most other parts are SA.

The Danish M1's are supposed to be really nice examples and the VAR rebarrels are allegedly some of the best shooters available.

When you get yours remember to keep every thing.  It'll come to your house in a plain cardboard box.  I had a brain cramp and threw my box away like an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Fight,

Did you get that '03 through CMP as well?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fight,

Did you get that '03 through CMP as well?
View Quote

That be a Mauser. easy mistake to make. Springfield stole German tech to make the '03, and paid 'em $200,000 in penalties, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that DCM may be able to provide a de-milled M14 under this same program?
GCF
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#23]
No luck on the M14.  You can still get most of the parts to put one together if you buy a receiver.  Some of the parts are out of stock.

All this .30 cal. talk on the AR15.com Forum!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LeonardC.

All this .30 cal. talk on the AR15.com Forum!
View Quote

That's what makes this place seem like home. :^)

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a Yugoslavian Mauser K98.  Very fun gun, but I'd rather be behind the M1 Garand.  Lot's more firepower!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cope -

I'll see ya there!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never shot highpower, but I'll be bringing my match Garand.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

View Quote

gman,

Since I didn't hear back from ya, I figured you probably had other plans.  Glad to see that you will be there. :^)

I rode by the club range on the bike last Saturday.  I guess those folks don't like loud pipes.   The guys on the rifle range were very friendly, and told me to round up a few more guys to bring along.  OTOH, the 20+ guys who were in the middle of a pistol match were kind of stuffy.  The only kind of matches I have ever been to are USPSA, where you run around skillfully engaging targets at a ripid pace.  I love it.  Those bunch of "sticks in the mud" I ran into over there were a different breed.  I know plenty of white collar shooters, and myself have to play the role on occassion, but I can't honestly say that I have ever seen people shooting a pistol match in a polyester suit and tie.  On a Saturday morning, no less.  I have no idea what the designation of the type match they were shooting, but what they called rapid fire consisted of 5 shots aimed with one hand while standing.  It seemed like about 30 seconds is what was alotted for each round.  Not my cup of tea.

Anyway, the Garand ordeal should be very informative.  Looking forward to it.

See ya there,

Joe    
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those bunch of "sticks in the mud" I ran into over there were a different breed.  I know plenty of white collar shooters, and myself have to play the role on occassion, but I can't honestly say that I have ever seen people shooting a pistol match in a polyester suit and tie.  On a Saturday morning, no less.      
View Quote

Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!

Heaven forbid if you show up with an SKS, or empty a 30 rounder in less that 3 minutes.

A bunch of old duffers, mostly. A number of them, once you get to know them, are pleasant. i especially enjoyed their old war stories.

And don't worry about the pipes on your bike. They CAN'T be any worse than those one-weekend a year wonders who show up with their ewlephant guns with the muzzle brakes. I'm serious. I swear some of them guys had 50 cal. necked down to 300 Win Mag. Frickin' muzzle blast would STING is was so bad. After a hour or so of that, you literally feel shell shocked.

I swear, those guys are trying to make up for other inadequacies with their "big guns."
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Got mine not that long ago.

It was $165.

Man you guys are making me feel so good.

I'ld tell my wife how much money it's worth but I'ld probably have that nervous, spontainious twitch/cuff her upside the head thing, when she would say "let's sell it", and regret doing so.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]
gman & GS,

While the culture at that club was definitely unlike any gun culture in which I have been introduced, it is somewhat refreshing.  Think about it.  We need more of this type of citizen involved in the shooting sports.  It is quite possible that a few of these gentlemen may have the resources to influence a legal decision or two pertaining to guns.  Naw....forget I said that. 99.9% would most likely be the first to "lay 'em down" outside their front door and apologize for ever owning a gun in the first place.  Molon Labe?  Don't much think it pertains to this bunch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
. I once gave him a FED ORD Garand to rebarrel and he borought it back to me and said "you don't want to spend any money on this thing, just sell it to soembody you don't know".

View Quote

you owned a Fed Ord???

I command thee to say 5 hail mary's and do 10 garand thumbs for thy pennance. [:D]

I've dealt with Scott Woody some. VERY nice guy.

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#34]
John Cochran, a buddie who sent me the email last week inviting me to join him at the clinic made mention of a guy named Scott in an email last night. [b][i]I'll call Scott & see if he can leave a slot in our relay.[/b][/i]  Whatever that means?  Sounds like we will group up, and take turns with a single rifle.

gman, did you mail in your $35 fee?  The guys on the rifle range told me to just show up.  I had the form filled out and ready to pay someone last weekend. (The reason I rode over there.) They said it wouldn't fill up, so I should be ok.  Guess I'll find out this weekend, eh?  

FED ORD?

ok, now we have on the list of manufacturers:

Fed Ord
SA
Winchester
Intl Harvester
H & R

Singer?
Underwood?

Who else?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

gman, did you mail in your $35 fee?  The guys on the rifle range told me to just show up.  I had the form filled out and ready to pay someone last weekend. (The reason I rode over there.) They said it wouldn't fill up, so I should be ok.  Guess I'll find out this weekend, eh?  

View Quote

Yes, I mailed it in.

they are bringing the rifles, ammo, and lunch. I guess they were just trying to get a head count.

You'll be fine, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Black&Green,

I am in the southern tier of NY, and the club where the clinic is to be located is "Square Deal" (sportsmans club?).  I don't know anything about it yet but I am going to call them later this week and find out what I can.  I think they are located in Johnson City.

(I was going to contact you though e-mail but didn't find it in your profile)
View Quote
                                            [email protected]     ................................southern tier.....also
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got my CMP M1.  Boy is it sweet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
gonna get everything notarized and mailed this weekend! cant wait to own a piece of history!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Pipefitter, where are you located in good old OK?[beer]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#41]
CounterStrike...???????
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#42]
tulsa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top