Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2017 4:50:09 PM EDT
Looked up the laws of commie commie and says you can't even transport unloaded pistol unless traveling to range or hunting. What a peice of shit state but have to bring woman to beach.

Should I just bring #2 pencil?

Prolly illegal too
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Play it safe and leave it at home to avoid possible legal entanglements.  My brother is also leery about bringing his pistol to Cali for vacation next month, and he is a federal agent!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you intend to tell someone if they ask?
Unless you do something VERY stupid, your chances of speaking to anyone about it are slim.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Your choice, but I would leave it at home.  The risk seems to outweigh the reward.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I took mine last time I went. Just kept it unloaded in the suitcase until I got to the hotel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I just wouldn't go to Cali
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a good blade and leave the pistol at home.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I always do.  I've got one of those small handgun safes just big enough for one handgun and a mag or two.  Not much bigger than a book.  Keep the gun unloaded.  Loaded mag is ok inside the safe with it.

I keep it under the seat while driving.

That use to be legal as a few years ago.  I hope it still is.  I'm sure a CA member can confirm.

I'd take a Glock 27 or 1911.  No mags over 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nailed it.  I do not want my tax dollars going there.  I have given up california wine which is pretty awesome for the money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Lock it on a box with unloaded mags. Have ammo separate.

Make sure your pistol does not have a threaded barrel and no mags over 10 rounds.

If you have a 1911 you'd be pretty safe.

I flew  with my glock 19 into Chicago O'Hare a couple weeks ago and left from O'Hare with my checked 19 with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
But you will be going to a range to shoot at some point right? 

Better have 10rnd mags to bring.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always do.  I've got one of those small handgun safes just big enough for one handgun and a mag or two.  Not much bigger than a book.  Keep the gun unloaded.  Loaded mag is ok inside the safe with it.

That use to be legal as a few years ago.  I hope it still is.  I'm sure a CA member can confirm.

View Quote
Handguns in cars must be in a locked case or compartment separate from ammo. If the gun is in the passenger compartment it must be in locked case. If in the trunk just in a bag is ok.

Center console and glovebox are not considered a locked case.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Has to be in trunk unless a truck and loaded mag is best in a separate container due to some LEO that interpret loaded mag as a loaded gun. I keep ammo and mag in one bag and firearm either in mini safe or in another bag with a trigger lock due to CA laws and the San Francisco Berkeley mentality.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Not entering that state is the easiest way to avoid this problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looked up the laws of commie commie and says you can't even transport unloaded pistol unless traveling to range or hunting. What a peice of shit state but have to bring woman to beach.

Prolly illegal too
View Quote
You might be thinking of assault weapon transport laws, because that isn't the law with respect to pistols.

Carry it in a locked container (doesn't have to be a case by any means; backpack compartment with the zippers held closed by a lock would suffice, or something else soft like that).  The gun has to be unloaded, but you can have your loaded mags with you, whether in the same compartment or container as the gun or in a different one, as you prefer, and if they are stored separately, they don't need to be locked (you could carry them on your person if you wanted to). Don't bring in mags with a capacity larger than 10 rounds (a larger capacity mag blocked to 10 is okay) and don't bring in a pistol with a threaded barrel or which otherwise might run afoul of the assault weapons ban (most should not).
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Handguns in cars must be in a locked case or compartment separate from ammo. If the gun is in the passenger compartment it must be in locked case. If in the trunk just in a bag is ok.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo does not need to be separate.  This is commonly stated, but remains wrong.  The firearm itself just needs to be unloaded. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bring a pointed stick,
But you better check the local pointed stick regs first
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I fly with a pelican case and a simple 3 number lock. No keys to worry about.

Having a pistol in case Cali goes to shit is better than nothing.

GD thinks we can only defend ourselves with CA DOJ approved sharp sticks but again, no threaded barrels, no mags over 10 rounds keep the gun locked and ammo separate you will be fine.

If SHTF you can load up in your hotel or pull over and load up to GTFO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
When I drive or fly to visit my folks in Southern California.  I'll bring my 1911 with me along with at least 4 to 6 ten round mags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I left mine at home last summer when I visited my brother in the Bay Area, and, oddly enough, I didn't miss it. We even attended a Black Lives Matter rally in Oakland, and didn't feel threatened enough to want it.

*For the record, the rally was happening between the restaurant where we had dinner, and his apartment.*
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I once heard of a man who traveled through CA with terrible things in his trunk.  He never left the interstate and drove straight through without ever stopping. IDK that it would mean anything to you, or even if it was an urban legend. Probably was as no man would do those things. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You might be thinking of assault weapon transport laws, because that isn't the law with respect to pistols.

Carry it in a locked container (doesn't have to be a case by any means; backpack compartment with the zippers held closed by a lock would suffice, or something else soft like that).  The gun has to be unloaded, but you can have your loaded mags with you, whether in the same compartment or container as the gun or in a different one, as you prefer, and if they are stored separately, they don't need to be locked (you could carry them on your person if you wanted to). Don't bring in mags with a capacity larger than 10 rounds (a larger capacity mag blocked to 10 is okay) and don't bring in a pistol with a threaded barrel or which otherwise might run afoul of the assault weapons ban (most should not).
View Quote
This. I drive over all the time. I stop before the border, unload it, lock it up and I'm good to go. reload at destination. Mags go in glove box, gun in locked case in back seat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ammo does not need to be separate.  This is commonly stated, but remains wrong.  The firearm itself just needs to be unloaded. 
View Quote
While true, if you want to avoid a hassle by some LEO who have their personal interpretations and don't appreciate you holding up your cell phone and showing them the language of the laws it's a way to avoid a headache in coastal California like Los Angeles or San Francisco but if your in a red county or town like Bakersfield or Redding then you're less likely to experience this. OP is going to the beach, I assume he's dealing with coastal California and north of Oceanside its generally pretty pro gun control from the populace to the police
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I had to drive to CA last month. Pistols were in a locked case, magazines in a backpack, both in the back of the vehicle. I unloaded when I stopped for gas in Yuma and did the opposite once I left CA. My asshole survived.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]
You said "beach".

I would take into account where you are going and what you are doing.

I wouldn't take a gun if I'm going swimming in the surf, and I'm not sure I'd risk leaving it in the car.

I've never been searched by police living in CA for the last 50 odd years. My car was twice searched by Border Patrol, but they didn't take second notice of my guns or check the capacity of my mags. I do generally try to obey the law when I know I'm going through BP checkpoints, however.

Also, illegal carry is usually not a felony and you should get the firearm back later. A compact Glock might be a good choice, not such a loss if the police take it and don't return it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While true, if you want to avoid a hassle by some LEO who have their personal interpretations and don't appreciate you holding up your cell phone and showing them the language of the laws it's a way to avoid a headache in coastal California like Los Angeles or San Francisco but if your in a red county or town like Bakersfield or Redding then you're less likely to experience this. OP is going to the beach, I assume he's dealing with coastal California and north of Oceanside its generally pretty pro gun control from the populace to the police
View Quote
True, however CHP is all over the state and most don't play local politics like the Central Valley.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I left mine at home last summer when I visited my brother in the Bay Area, and, oddly enough, I didn't miss it. We even attended a Black Lives Matter rally in Oakland, and didn't feel threatened enough to want it.

*For the record, the rally was happening between the restaurant where we had dinner, and his apartment.*
View Quote
Grand Avenue? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I took mine last time I went. Just kept it unloaded in the suitcase until I got to the hotel.
View Quote
This is what I did in the past. Load it when you get to your destination. While at our campsite in Sequoia National Park, I kept it on my person.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should have counter protested. "Red lives matter!".
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
There are beaches in other places, just in case you weren't clear on that.

But yeah, I'd leave it at home.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I would prefer. Unfortunately, we have family there so we have to visit. Now that we have a kid, though, there is a moratorium on travel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#32]
When I have to go to this place and am usually driving, which means I had to go through Canada.  There I do not travel with pistols.  However I do travel with a short barrel(legal length) pump action shot gun and a lever action 44 Mag rifle.   No issue with either one of these!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Prolly illegal too
View Quote

Aw, internet research skills are well developed.  Want help with a map too or just going to drive west til the car is wet?

Oh yeah, pics?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grand Avenue? https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG-1523-258092.JPG
No, it was last July in Frank Ogawa Plaza downtown. It was amusing to me, so we stuck around and listened for awhile. You'd think that if mass communication was the goal of the rally, then they would have brought in a PA system that didn't suck. The speakers all sounded like variations of Charlie Brown's teacher, and I was only standing 50-60 yards away from them.

There was a "Flat Earther" on the periphery, and he was hilarious. A young black guy in a wheelchair, his chair festooned with big banners explaining why a spherical planet was incorrect. "THE EARTH IS FLAT!!!!!" is what he screamed through a bullhorn the entire time of the rally, and it pissed off everyone within earshot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the reason I picked a G26.

Last time, I ended up just taking the G43, though. I'd love to see national reciprocity passed, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Take a good blade and leave the pistol at home.
View Quote
What's legal to carry blade wise?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I would bring a J frame
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
just got back from San Diego - highly recommend the USS Midway Museum & the Maritime Museum. Took my ever faithful glock 27 in 40S&W. Just unload it and lock it when you hit the border.

I rather have a gun in a safe or trunk I can get to then no gun at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Just take a rape whistle
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Just store seperate from the boolits in a locked container...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#41]
As long as its locked in the trunk I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Can you bring a concealed taser into the state?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, it was last July in Frank Ogawa Plaza downtown. It was amusing to me, so we stuck around and listened for awhile. You'd think that if mass communication was the goal of the rally, then they would have brought in a PA system that didn't suck. The speakers all sounded like variations of Charlie Brown's teacher, and I was only standing 50-60 yards away from them.

There was a "Flat Earther" on the periphery, and he was hilarious. A young black guy in a wheelchair, his chair festooned with big banners explaining why a spherical planet was incorrect. "THE EARTH IS FLAT!!!!!" is what he screamed through a bullhorn the entire time of the rally, and it pissed off everyone within earshot.
View Quote
Yeah, downtown Oakland gets interesting, especially near BroadwayAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I live here and loaded magazines with unloaded pistol in a locked container is legal as long as you do not import +10 round magazines/no threaded barrels etc. See below:

CA Firearms wikipedia

PC§ 25610.
When being transported, handguns must be unloaded and in a locked fully enclosed container other than the glove box or any console attached to the vehicle. The trunk of a car is considered to be a locked container but a glove box or "utility box" is specifically forbidden. If one believes he or she is within a "gun-free school zone" (area surrounding 1,000 feet from the edge of school grounds which teaches any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade) then the handgun must be locked in a fully enclosed container. Failure to lock up a handgun while in a school zone is a violation of federal (only if one does not possess a concealed weapons permit issued by California) and state law.

1.1. "Loaded"
A firearm is "loaded" when there is:
an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm…including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm.. Therefore, carrying a loaded magazine separate from the handgun is NOT Prohibited under the CA Penal Code. As long as the loaded magazine is not inserted into the gun, you are carrying/transporting an unloaded weapon.

e.g. Ammunition and handgun are in the same box but the handgun does not have a loaded magazine inserted, nor a round in the chamber.

A lockable gun case such as one of these gun vault or a Console Vault are considered legal to transport a unloaded firearm and loaded magazines as long as they remain locked to passengers.

I have a CA carry permit, but keep a truck carbine and extra pistol (our carry guns must be listed by serial number on our permits for concealed carry) in a locked soft case under my rear seat. Also legal.

Picture - (go ahead and make fun of my funky grip - it is just a method to get around our asinine laws) I use a small keyed lock thru the zipper pulls and a D ring to lock it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a beat to shit California approved Wilson combat  from the last century that I take with me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the cops are searching your vehicle and secured belongings without your consent, you might have bigger issues.  It's not even remotely an issue to worry about.  If you're dealing with a hardcore anti-gun cop, it might not matter what the law says or where your mags are.  But generally, as long as you don't advertise that you have a gun (which in CA permits a search without warrant or probable cause to ensure guns are unloaded) and aren't giving probable cause sufficient to result in a search of your stuff, you should have no issues.  The key is to choose an innocuous container for one's pistol and not something that screams gun or tactical.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You said "beach".

I would take into account where you are going and what you are doing.

I wouldn't take a gun if I'm going swimming in the surf, and I'm not sure I'd risk leaving it in the car.

I've never been searched by police living in CA for the last 50 odd years. My car was twice searched by Border Patrol, but they didn't take second notice of my guns or check the capacity of my mags. I do generally try to obey the law when I know I'm going through BP checkpoints, however.

Also, illegal carry is usually not a felony and you should get the firearm back later. A compact Glock might be a good choice, not such a loss if the police take it and don't return it.
View Quote
If a handgun is not registered and carried illegally, it is a felony., typically.  It matters not if you're not a resident or you bought the handgun before registration was required, or otherwise lawfully possess it (which is ridiculous IMO, but so are many of the laws here).
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
True, however CHP is all over the state and most don't play local politics like the Central Valley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CHP seems to have a disproportionate amount of virulently anti-gun cops.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, fuck all that. "Durr, just keep it unloaded, locked up, disassembled, not in passenger compartment, with 10rd mags or less, with etc etc etc"             No thanks. I'd just rather never go there and never support anything in that state with one dollar if I have a choice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top