Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/24/2017 12:54:03 PM EDT
So recently I noticed a police cruiser parked during off hours in my neighborhood. I am assuming a police officer has moved into the neighborhood but it could be that he is just visiting someone like a g/f. Not sure if officers in Arlington, VA bring their cruisers home with them.

Anyways, parking can be a bit tough in my neighborhood. Everyone gets one assigned spot but then there is a ton a street parking. I have never not been able to find parking within a half block of my house regardless of what time it was. But I will admit that right now, during the summer, seems to be the toughest time to find parking. Maybe relatives are visiting or college kids are home for the summer, etc.

Anyways, the six or so times I have seen the police cruiser parked it has been illegally parked each time. It pisses me off both that the officer in question thinks he is above the law but also for the message it sends of a lack of professionalism. 'I am a cop and look at my easily noticed vehicle, I do not have to follow the rules.' When I was a Marine I always realized I was representing the Marine Corps. Now I always remember I am representing DoD.

I assume if asked why they chose their career most law enforcement would answer something related to providing safety to the citizens. But the limits of where you can park are based on both safety and convenience of other motorists.

Opinions?

I added a poll. IDNC = 'I Do Not Care', that means regardless of safety concerns he can park wherever he wants.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Every profession has it's assholes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Call parking enforcement / get it towed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you piss on him to establish dominance?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
In for this shit show.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My first question would be, does he know he is parked illegally?  If you all have assigned parking, then I assume you have a home owners assoc.  If so, it would be up the HOA to notify him that he is parking illegally, I know a lot of cops and none of them use their position to act as if they are above the rules or laws.  Communication is key in situations like this and if he is doing something against the rules, then he needs to be informed he is doing so.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Emergency vehicles are exempt from parking regulations in many states.

Be "THAT neighbor"  and go whine to his boss.  It's the GD way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a pic and post it on the dept's Facebook page. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Take pictures, send them to the local newspaper.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Whine to his boss, or be happy his car isn't taking away a spot for your or your neighbors.  Really your only two options.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm waiting for op to post a picture of the hate note he left on the windshield.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Whine about it online.

ETA: you know, instead of talking to him directly. This echo chamber is much safer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
How is it parked illegally?

Illegally because of state law? Or 'illegally' because your association says so?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Man the fuck up and go talk to him about it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you piss on him to establish dominance?
View Quote
Are you serious?  Clearly it would be better to piss on the car.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Define "illegally parked"...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it a private street?  You mentioned assigned parking so I'm assuming it's private property.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Next time he's away park there yourself
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The cruiser is likely exempt from the HOA parking rule.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
At some point I will see him and I will point it out to him in a professional manner. The conversation will center on him being a good representative of the police force. I would not start by going to his boss, I am not passive aggressive.

In regards to 'does he know he is parked illegally' yes he does. Permissible places to park on the street are outlined in white stripes and there are signs. The boxes end short of entrances to parking lots and near intersections to allow space for turning. This is where he parks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it a private street?  You mentioned assigned parking so I'm assuming it's private property.
View Quote
We have assigned parking in the parking lots outside our buildings and then parking on the street. He parks illegally on the street so yes, public property.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My first question would be, does he know he is parked illegally?  If you all have assigned parking, then I assume you have a home owners assoc.  If so, it would be up the HOA to notify him that he is parking illegally, I know a lot of cops and none of them use their position to act as if they are above the rules or laws.  Communication is key in situations like this and if he is doing something against the rules, then he needs to be informed he is doing so.
View Quote
The voice of reason....lost amongst a sea of typical ARFCOMMER cop hate.  lol
Let's see how this pans out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
First, it is "neighborhood"

Second, don't be a douche nozzle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Illegally because of state law? Or 'illegally' because your association says so?
View Quote
Sounds like he is just violating the neighborhood rules.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread need more MS Paint or Google streets view to better explain the situation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At some point I will see him and I will point it out to him in a professional manner. The conversation will center on him being a good representative of the police force. I would not start by going to his boss, I am not passive aggressive.

In regards to 'does he know he is parked illegally' yes he does. Permissible places to park on the street are outlined in white stripes and there are signs. The boxes end short of entrances to parking lots and near intersections to allow space for turning. This is where he parks.
View Quote
Wow, i wish I had your free time. Do you do this with EVERYONE who parks illegally?  How about the folks with expired registration?  Do you talk to them too?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd like some clarification of the OP's term "off hours."  My guess is it's parked 12 to 15 hours at a time, every day, as it would be between shifts while the officer is off duty, but OP doesn't come right out and say that.  Take home cruisers tend to be pretty rare, though.

There are HOA and neighborhood associations around me that hire off-duty cops and rent cruisers to serve as a deterrent to criminals.  Sometimes the cruiser is purposely parked in a high visibility location, which may not be an actual parking spot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Be careful. He might be a Bad Lieutenant. 

Routine Traffic Stop - Bad Lieutenant (5/9) Movie CLIP (1992) HD
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Umm no don't go there, you will sound like a sanctimonious bore.  Just ask him to park normally due to the issues it causes though I am unsure of what issue it is actually causing?  Most neighborhoods are happy to have a cop car sitting in them. Some cops even get paid for such as courtesy officers in complexes, etc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a take home car. I  would get reemed by the brass if I got caught ( reported) parking illegally. So I didnt

Cause the world is full of people who got nothing better to do than worry about what I was doing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I park my POV in my neighborhoods fire lanes because my license plate says I'm part of the IAFF and I'm a professional firefighter.  Deal with it OP.  Professional privilege.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have assigned parking in the parking lots outside our buildings and then parking on the street. He parks illegally on the street so yes, public property.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoL, he better watch out, he may get a ticket for parking like that
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, the township / city / boro assigns parking permits for certain spots?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wow, i wish I had your free time. Do you do this with EVERYONE who parks illegally?  How about the folks with expired registration?  Do you talk to them too?
View Quote
Kind of hard to missed a marked cruiser when I run in my neighborhood a couple of times a week or when I drive in that direction when I leave my house. Which is kind of my point; he is representing his police department.

Sooner or later I will bump into him and we will have a chat. Maybe it is the deterrent factor with the HOA knowingly onboard; I had not considered that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'd like some clarification of the OP's term "off hours."  My guess is it's parked 12 to 15 hours at a time, every day, as it would be between shifts while the officer is off duty, but OP doesn't come right out and say that.  Take home cruisers tend to be pretty rare, though.

There are HOA and neighborhood associations around me that hire off-duty cops and rent cruisers to serve as a deterrent to criminals.  Sometimes the cruiser is purposely parked in a high visibility location, which may not be an actual parking spot.
View Quote
Each time I have seen it, IIRC, it was either early in the morning so 0700-0730 or in the evening, likely 1700-1800.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My first question would be, does he know he is parked illegally? 
View Quote
When is "ignorance of the law ever an acceptable excuse"?  How often do people get let off the hook because they didn't know what they were doing was illegal? 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Umm no don't go there, you will sound like a sanctimonious bore.  Just ask him to park normally due to the issues it causes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm no don't go there, you will sound like a sanctimonious bore.  Just ask him to park normally due to the issues it causes.
Don't listen to him!  Go there and use your phone to get video of the conversation and post it here so we can all laugh at the cop who parks dirty... and most importantly, see what a hero you are.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When is "ignorance of the law ever an acceptable excuse"?  How often do people get let off the hook because they didn't know what they were doing was illegal? 
View Quote
Happens all the time for minor stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Growing up, we had a LEO living 4 doors down.

He liked to race, had a lemon yellow ?Duster? that had a scoop and cams, some other shit. Strictly amateur.

We also had Banditos living 5 houses down the other direction. They (mostly) knew not to shit where they eat, so it was (mostly) cool.

Well, one day LEO shows up with a brand new police Harley that our town had bought four of. He made the mistake of parking it in the driveway.

The next morning, the Harley was in pieces all over his front lawn and in the street. Nothing was left in one solid part.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty easy to spots the LEO's in thread...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, the assigned spaces are in parking lots adjacent to the street which are private property. Then there is unassigned public parking on the street. The officer is illegally parked on the street.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Kind of hard to missed a marked cruiser when I run in my neighborhood a couple of times a week or when I drive in that direction when I leave my house. Which is kind of my point; he is representing his police department.

Sooner or later I will bump into him and we will have a chat. Maybe it is the deterrent factor with the HOA knowingly onboard; I had not considered that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If its public property, the HOA has no say or right.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I park my POV in my neighborhoods fire lanes because my license plate says I'm part of the IAFF and I'm a professional firefighter.  Deal with it OP.  Professional privilege.  
View Quote
The only people that drive and park worse than cops-- and have more stickers on their POV than Marines--are firefighters.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh, as long as he isn't the I'm the law 24/7 type, I wouldn't mind have the car parked closer to my place.  If he's breaking a neighborhood rule, he might have been given permission to do so.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#46]
If you ask nicely, maybe he'll lend you his spellcheck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No, the assigned spaces are in parking lots adjacent to the street which are private property. Then there is unassigned public parking on the street. The officer is illegally parked on the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May want to check with the town, LEO vehicles maybe exempt from parking restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I assume if asked why they chose their career most law enforcement would answer something related to providing safety to the citizens.
View Quote
@runcible @extorris
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#49]
talk to him more
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I park my POV in my neighborhoods fire lanes because my license plate says I'm part of the IAFF and I'm a professional firefighter.  Deal with it OP. Professional privilege.  We're above the law and prolapsed anuses.
View Quote
Fixed it for ya
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top