Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/22/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
You serious Clark? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-depot-menards-lumber-size-lawsuit/415874001/#

MILWAUKEE — Two home improvements stores are accused of deceiving the buyers of four-by-four boards, the big brother to the ubiquitous two-by-four.
The alleged deception: Menards and Home Depot (HD) market and sell the hefty lumber as four-by-fours without specifying that the boards actually measure 3½ inches by 3½ inches.
The lawsuits against the retailers would-be class actions, filed within
five days of each other in federal court for the Northern District of
Illinois. Attorneys from the same Chicago law firm represent the
plaintiffs in both cases. Each suit seeks more than $5 million.
“Defendant has received significant profits from its false marketing and sale of
its dimensional lumber products,” the action against Menards contends.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't this already happen a couple years ago?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
LMAO

Shitbird class action attorneys are hilarious sometimes
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody tell them about 2x4s.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The California Secretary of State sued Home Depot (or maybe Lowes) about this, and won (in a California court).  The now have to label all dimensional lumber with its actual size.  2 x 4's are now 1-1/2 x 3-1/2's.  Plus, the store had to pay out a mega million dollar fine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like an Onion article.

But real.  Wow
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The California Secretary of State sued Home Depot (or maybe Lowes) about this, and won (in a California court).  The now have to label all dimensional lumber with its actual size.  2 x 4's are now 1-1/2 x 3-1/2's.  Plus, the store had to pay out a mega million dollar fine.
View Quote
Which is fucking idiotic considering there are no fucking damages in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It should say what it is and be what it says.

Lumber is built into a giant house of lies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've bought lumber in CA recently and they were marked 2x4, 4x4, etc (i.e. correctly)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's like an Onion article.

But real.  Wow
View Quote
You couldn't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It has happened a few times over the last 100+ years, the key is, "Dimensional Lumber"  the rough product starts out at the actual dimension, then is milled to industry standard, which is 3.5 x 3.5 or 1.5 x 3.5, it is the basis for all the building that has been done in this country for well over 100 years.  HD and Menards has not derived any extra profits because they advertise and sell what the industry standard are based on and milled to.

All the parts for building are based on this standard, to change everything this many years later is cost prohibitive and has been the basis for many of these lawsuits being overturned in the past.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be embarrassed I was so dumb.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You probably melt their faces off if you tried to explain to them what the actual size #4 rebar is.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Those stereotypes just keep proving themselves true...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you want the metric system? Because this is how you get the metric system.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which is fucking idiotic considering there are no fucking damages in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feels man, heavily damaged feels.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it is false advertising...  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've bought lumber in CA recently and they were marked 2x4, 4x4, etc (i.e. correctly)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Marin County California judge ordered Mooresville, North Carolina-based Lowe’s to pay a $1.6 million settlement over a lawsuit alleging the inaccurate description of structural dimensional building products.

One upshot of the settlement is the intention of Lowe’s to include the actual product dimensions of 2x4 lumber (1.5 inches by 3.5 inches) along with the description of the product as a “2x4.”

The suit arose from a civil enforcement action filed by district attorneys of several California counties.

"Consumers should expect when making product purchases that retailers are providing accurate information especially when misinformation could adversely affect building projects that more often than not rely on precise measurements," said District Attorney Ed Berberian.
Lowe's Ordered To Pay 2 x 4 Settlement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone recall what S4S means for lumber?

Isn't it "Surfaced, 4 Sides" Clark?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just a bored class action lawyer looking for a payday, nobody's feels are hurt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I only buy my lumber green, from the guy with the Harbor Freight saw mill.  That way I know my 2x4s are really 2inches by 4 inches. Never mind my walls have gaps from shrinkage and what not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what happens when DIYers get into shit they don't understand like industry nominal dimensions....

2x4's haven't been 2"x 4" since the 19motherfuckin30's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Marin County California judge ordered Mooresville, North Carolina-based Lowe’s to pay a $1.6 million settlement over a lawsuit alleging the inaccurate description of structural dimensional building products.

One upshot of the settlement is the intention of Lowe’s to include the actual product dimensions of 2x4 lumber (1.5 inches by 3.5 inches) along with the description of the product as a “2x4.”

The suit arose from a civil enforcement action filed by district attorneys of several California counties.

"Consumers should expect when making product purchases that retailers are providing accurate information especially when misinformation could adversely affect building projects that more often than not rely on precise measurements," said District Attorney Ed Berberian.
Lowe's Ordered To Pay 2 x 4 Settlement.
Yeah i believe u I just haven't seen it in HD or other Lumber places, but I haven't been in a lowe's in super long
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. 

I don't like it either. 

It's just stupid it isn't the size it says it is. 

Even plywood thickness is fucked. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always thought that anyone buying lumber knew how it was sized / measured.  I guess not.  Even though it's been that way for fucking ever.  People are stupid, attorneys are sharks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does anyone recall what S4S means for lumber?

Isn't it "Surfaced, 4 Sides" Clark?
View Quote
Came to post this. Holy **** are people really this stupid?

Rhetorical....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It has happened a few times over the last 100+ years, the key is, "Dimensional Lumber"  the rough product starts out at the actual dimension, then is milled to industry standard, which is 3.5 x 3.5 or 1.5 x 3.5, it is the basis for all the building that has been done in this country for well over 100 years.  HD and Menards has not derived any extra profits because they advertise and sell what the industry standard are based on and milled to.

All the parts for building are based on this standard, to change everything this many years later is cost prohibitive and has been the basis for many of these lawsuits being overturned in the past.
View Quote
Meh

then leave the dimensions and call it a 1.5x3.5
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Well on one hand you want to advertise something as being 4x4 or 2x4 when in reality its not is kinda dumb. Like selling a 2 liter of pop but its actually only 55oz.

On the other hand jesus christ these people dont have anything better to do than sue the pants of anyone and everyone they can find?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This. 

I don't like it either. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. 

I don't like it either. 

You guys should buy rough sawn lumber.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#34]
They're going to shit if they ever read a dimension chart for wide flange beams, actual depth can be more than an inch less or a couple inches more than nominal.

And don't look too close at your .38 Special bullets.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll take the metric system please.  

Damn, just change the name to "tubafor", that's how everyone pronounces it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
There's always a few people dumb enough to... oh, they beat me here. 

Disregard. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hardly.  If you understood how it all works you wouldn't say that, and this lawsuit would be laughed out of court.  This lawyer needs a swift kick in the nuts.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly.  If you understood how it all works you wouldn't say that, and this lawsuit would be laughed out of court.  This lawyer needs a swift kick in the nuts.  
Precedent has already been set. Good lawsuit
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh

then leave the dimensions and call it a 1.5x3.5
View Quote
I guess some people ARE really that clueless and dense.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullshit.

Fucking normies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what is so damn idiotic...

It was almost 20 years ago that I took business law in college but industry standards were one of those topics that were along the lines of "hey if you are going to be in industry know the terminology".

The exact issue of 2x4s being an example.

For the love of god whoever the idiot concerned do-gooder, that acted on behalf of Ca citizens/consumers, i hope they suffer being impaled anus first on a rough cut 2x4.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
WTF

it states it on those little white tags on the boards and posts

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Tuna lawsuit didn't work. Doubt this will/
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
This is what happens when "homeowners" try to play carpenter. Framing lumber has been under sized for over 50 years.
Pajama boy: Ohtehnose11!!!11BBQOMG, Homedepot/Lowes is screwing me out my hard earned trustfund money!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey, can I get in on this?

None of our 4 x 4's are 4 x 4 either.

I am enraged.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This. 

I don't like it either. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. 

I don't like it either. 

Industry standards.

It's easier to say 2x4 than "one and nine sixteenths by three and a half" or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
And who will bear the cost of the attorney fees and fines?  The ones who it's supposed to help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#48]
People that bring these lawsuits up should be drawn and quartered.

Any real man knows what the actual measurements are.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#49]
So a lawsuit and money for the weekend contractors then....got it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I guess some people ARE really that clueless and dense.
View Quote
Whatever. It's still stupid. Wood dimensions are fucked. I think it's weird people like it. Just because it's been done that way for 100 years doesn't mean it's a good way. 

If I get a piece of flat stock it's the size it says it is. I like metal. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top