Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/22/2017 12:46:59 PM EDT
BBC - "Prince Harry says no royal wants to be king or queen"
No-one in the Royal Family wants to be king or queen, Prince Harry has told a US magazine, but adds: "We will carry out our duties at the right time."

"Is there any one of the Royal Family who wants to be king or queen? I don't think so," he told Newsweek.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll do it then; and I'll straighten out the entire damned country in the process.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll do it then; and I'll straighten out the entire damned country in the process.
View Quote
Name + post
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When you consider the implications, yeah, that would be pretty fucked up if they did.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It's probably a pretty crappy job, all considering.  No real freedom, ever, and any mistakes follow you forever.

Probably way better to be #2 or 3.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Elizabeth II did not necessarily want to become queen but understood it was her duty to her country. Her father felt the same after the embaresment of Edward VIIIs abdication. I think people are taking that comment the wrong way
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
your to old
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
By the time George becomes King I'm guessing he will have to marry a Muslim princess or commoner, the vast majority of the citizenship (which will likely be Muslims by that time) will demand it. Their offspring will take mum's religion and then the Monarchy of the U.K. will be an Islamic line.

If the UK still exists as it is now known that is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
He's fifth in line so I doubt he will have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's probably a pretty crappy job, all considering.  No real freedom, ever, and any mistakes follow you forever.

View Quote
Harry doesn't really give a fuck.

He will never have the job, but he will always have the wealth, privilege, status, precedence, and deference which go with being an HRH.

If he has to assume some duties, that seems a small price to pay for the above.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He will never have the job, but he will always have the wealth, privilege, status, precedence, and deference which go with being an HRH.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.
If it weren't for that HRH on the end of his name he would be working at McD's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No shit.
View Quote
Um ......... the HRH goes at the beginning.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Name + post
View Quote
We fixed it for them in 1776
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No shit.
View Quote
Do you know a lot of Sandhurst grad Helo pilots that work in the food service industry?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Name + post
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I bet Lindsey graham would volunteer to be queen
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No-one in the Royal Family wants to be king or queen, Prince Harry has told a US magazine, but adds: "We will carry out our duties at the right time."

"Is there any one of the Royal Family who wants to be king or queen? I don't think so," he told Newsweek.
View Quote
View Quote

Exactly as it should be, then.

Those with the greatest desire for power are often the least suited to the role, because they do not appreciate the magnitude of the commitment they undertake.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Harry is OK, in my book
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
They currently enjoy all the benefits without the responsibilities.  Seems like a no-brainer really.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Harry 2020 er 2024!

In all seriousness, his work with Invictus is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
King Edward VIII gave up the throne for pussy so it must not be much of a job.

Duke of Windsor for the win.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
---Chuck and Camilla don't want it?, yeah, sure...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#26]
just another privileged white boy...

ZFG
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe it's time to let the whole monarchy thing go?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude actually did multiple tours in Afghanistan, saw combat, and didn't have an army of security detail around him. 100% more badass than 90% of arfcom. He is ok in my book.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Sure bro.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He has also put his life on the line for his country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People forget that Harry was told he wasn't allowed to deploy to Iraq with his unit, because he might have gotten killed, so he threatened to just quit the military entirely if they didn't let him go overseas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People forget that Harry was told he wasn't allowed to deploy to Iraq with his unit, because he might have gotten killed, so he threatened to just quit the military entirely if they didn't let him go overseas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He went to Afghan despite knowing that he was target numero-uno by the Taliban and all it took was one afghani to be paid off to either shoot him or attempt kidnapping. Not many people would turn down a life of unlimited babes, booze, and money to do something like that. He has my respect.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
And, IIRC, his brother wasn't particularly happy about it. Sure, you get a big house and to wave at people, but you also get to not have an opinion at all on anything really, unless you want to cause a crisis of government. Of course, UK (and others) really could use the style of executive branch that inspired ours.

All in all, Harry has the better deal than his older brother.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And, IIRC, his brother wasn't particularly happy about it. Sure, you get a big house and to wave at people, but you also get to not have an opinion at all on anything really, unless you want to cause a crisis of government. Of course, UK (and others) really could use the style of executive branch that inspired ours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just curious - what inspired our executive branch?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.
There it is, the dumbest thing I'll read all day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And ones that have served combat tours on the ground prior to getting their wings? 

Not just an FSA member. A hard working been there done that real life honest to god soldier. 
View Quote
Yeah... the only difference between him and an average officer is that I bet his application for pilot school was not even looked at past the name before the big APPROVED stamp was applied, and I imagine his instructor pilots were not "fleet average" either.

Don't take that the wrong way... by all accounts he's a good guy who really cared for his troops in the field and wanted to get out there and put lead downrange.  More than can be said for 90%+ of either the US or the UK.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Those with the greatest desire for power are often the least suited to the role, because they do not appreciate the magnitude of the commitment they undertake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That's exactly what makes them qualified.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There it is, the dumbest thing I'll read all day.
View Quote
Oh, there's time yet.

Somebody somewhere is just finishing off his latest spooge deposit to the Homer Bucket and will no doubt mash out some unrivalled level of derp on his cheeto encrusted keyboard for our delectation and amusement
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I doubt he is saying the royals spurn the job.  More like they take it seriously, with humility towards the role.  I would imagine that in their culture, it is taken seriously, as a matter of honor.

The real questions are:

Will Her Majesty step down if she one day thinks senility or dementia prevent her from giving her best to the role?

And who will succeed her?  Will Charles take the crown or pass it down to William?

I am guessing the British do not have a tradition like Vito Corleone, who stepped down as Don to be consigliere to help prepare his son Michael to take over as Don?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah... the only difference between him and an average officer is that I bet his application for pilot school was not even looked at past the name before the big APPROVED stamp was applied, and I imagine his instructor pilots were not "fleet average" either.

Don't take that the wrong way... by all accounts he's a good guy who really cared for his troops in the field and wanted to get out there and put lead downrange.  More than can be said for 90%+ of either the US or the UK.
View Quote
Did he crash any of his assigned helicopters? If not, who gives a crap because he obviously had what it took to fly them. He was born into it so it has its perks but also it perils.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
One scandal book I read said she was renown for the quality of her blow jobs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dude actually did multiple tours in Afghanistan, saw combat, and didn't have an army of security detail around him. 100% more badass than 90% of arfcom. He is ok in my book.
http://i64.tinypic.com/29ljpmt.jpg
View Quote
He was pissed when the media blew his cover and he got sent home.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://i64.tinypic.com/29ljpmt.jpg
View Quote
Truth, he needs to storm parliament and take back his country, screw the Magna Carta.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I doubt he is saying the royals spurn the job.  More like they take it seriously, with humility towards the role.  I would imagine that in their culture, it is taken seriously, as a matter of honor.

The real questions are:

Will Her Majesty step down if she one day thinks senility or dementia prevent her from giving her best to the role?  Yes - abdication is possible, but plans will already in place for Succession to the Throne.

And who will succeed her?  Will Charles take the crown or pass it down to William?  A good question.  Nobody knows at this stage.  William is certainly being prepared for the role, but so was Charles.

I am guessing the British do not have a tradition like Vito Corleone, who stepped down as Don to be consigliere to help prepare his son Michael to take over as Don?   That's a very good point.  Should the Queen abdicate, I would hope that she remains an active part of the Monarchy in order to help convey her wisdom and experience.   While Her successor will have a range of advisers and experienced diplomats to provide guidance, the Queen's experience asa Monarch is second to none. .
View Quote
As above in red
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The scumbag duke was a serious nazi supporter. Glad he abdicated
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top