Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2017 7:13:34 AM EDT
The Canadian's Record kill shot thread got me wondering. With the earth spinning at 1,037 MPH or roughly 460 meters a second, shots fired at 90 and 270 degrees (East and West) would need little if any compensation for this effect. Shots fired at 0 and 180 degrees (North and South) would need the most compensation. How is this effect compensated for in all varying 360 Degrees? Is there a dope book or handheld computer that gives the compensation in 100 yard increments for each and every degree at each and every distance for each rifle and cartridge?

How about altitude (thinner air) and barometric pressure (air density)? Is that graphed as well?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Ballistic calculators can compensate for this effect, also lattitude is an important data point.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The coriolis effect is negligible over the time it takes a bullet to travel 2 miles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It also depends on your position on the planet.  Is the speed you listed at the equator? 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Coriolis Effect in Long Range Shooting

Demonstrating how Coriolis effects bullet drop at 1000 yards
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Canadian's Record kill shot thread got me wondering. With the earth spinning at 1,037 MPH or roughly 460 meters a second, shots fired at 90 and 270 degrees (East and West) would need little if any compensation for this effect. Shots fired at 0 and 180 degrees (North and South) would need the most compensation. How is this effect compensated for in all varying 360 Degrees? Is there a dope book or handheld computer that gives the compensation in 100 yard increments for each and every degree at each and every distance for each rifle and cartridge?

How about altitude (thinner air) and barometric pressure (air density)? Is that graphed as well?
View Quote

Shooting east/west can actually affect the bullet (vertically) just as much, if not more than north/south will (horizontally), especially closer to the equator.  There are many more factors that can affect a bullet's trajectory to an order of magnitude more than the rotation of the earth (altitude and humidity for example), but unless you've got dope, or already taken shots in the given location/conditions, it's not something that can be dialed in precisely.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I was looking for that video.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The coriolis effect is negligible over the time it takes a bullet to travel 2 miles.
View Quote
9 seconds is a long time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the app Shooter for your phone.   I'm sure there are many.   It uses GPS for conditions in the area and adds it to your bullet data.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The coriolis parameters acting one location and another 2 miles away are virtually the same.  In other words, the difference in angular velocity of two particles separated by two miles on a rotating oblate spheroid with a Equatorial diameter of 7926 miles is essentially zero.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was shooting over 1.5 miles and 5 second bullet flight time, the ballistic calculator showed about 18" correction for coriolis effect. Even so my first shots were like 5 yards off and I had to walk the bullet in until I had the correct dope.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Hitting someone at 3500 yards with a firearm is more luck than skill, IIRC, the last American sniper record holder has said as much.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you being nitpicky about the name? Because it would be substantia(for hitting a small target)l over a two mile flight time.

N27° lat, 27inHg, 90°, 250otm@2900fps, 8.4sec flight time

Firing north = 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing south= 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing east = 35" drift right drop 115"
Firing west =35" drift right  115" high

S27° lat all the drift will be to the left.

In less dense air all the numbers will be reduced because flight time is shorter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The coriolis parameters acting one location and another 2 miles away are virtually the same.  In other words, the difference in angular velocity of two particles separated by two miles on a rotating oblate spheroid with a Equatorial diameter of 7926 miles is essentially zero.
View Quote
I am talking about the projectiles flight above the surface. The earth is moving under the projectile,  creating a deflection up down left or right depending on the direction of the shot and how close or far you are from the poles.

It probably would not matter if you were shooting artillery, or rockets,  but with a rifle, it does.

Imagine being in a uuuge Carousel, you are standing in the middle, spinning at the same rate as someone standing at 10, 20, 30 ,40 and 50, yards away. As they get farther away, even though you are spinning at he same rate, you would need to increase velocity of each throw to hit the person by throwing the ball straight at them, otherwise the impetus  imparted by the spin of the Carousel  onto the ball would  decay at predictable rate, while your target continues to move at the same speed as the Carousel.

The Speed of your throw would depend on the how fast the  Carousel is moving as well. The faster it is the faster the decay.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you being nitpicky about the name? Because it would be substantia(for hitting a small target)l over a two mile flight time.

N27° lat, 27inHg, 90°, 250otm@2900fps, 8.4sec flight time

Firing north = 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing south= 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing east = 35" drift right drop 115"
Firing west =35" drift right  115" high

S27° lat all the drift will be to the left.
View Quote
Are you combining spin drift and Coriolis effect?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you combining spin drift and Coriolis effect?
View Quote
No spin drift on a 10 twist is 209" by itself and will be to the direction of twist regardless of direction of fire.

Those numbers are based off 2 miles 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
At 2 miles there are so many other much more important variables that come into play that coriolis is almost irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hitting someone at 3500 yards with a firearm is more luck than skill, IIRC, the last American sniper record holder has said as much.
View Quote
1000% true.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At 2 miles there are so many other much more important variables that come into play that coriolis is almost irrelevant.
View Quote
230"  of elevation difference from east to west and 35" of drift is irrelevant?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No spin drift on a 10 twist is 209" by itself and will be to the direction of twist regardless of direction of fire.

Those numbers are based off 2 miles 
View Quote
So you're saying it will always drift 35" to the right due to the C effect no matter the firing direction?
I don't think that's accurate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]
The Coriolis effect is bullshit.   If it can affect bullet path then it should also affect airplanes and helicopters even more profoundly...which it does not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Am I in after CoD references?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you were attempting a cold bore shot, no, it's not irrelevant.
If you've made shots in the same position before and have your dope then yes, it's mostly irrelevant.

Most super-long shots like this were made after several shots to walk it in.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Coriolis effect is bullshit.   If it can affect bullet path then it should also affect airplanes and helicopters even more profoundly...which it does not.
View Quote
It may be discussed out of context at times, but it is absolutely a thing.
It doesn't affect aircraft (or anything else that is guided) because aircraft can make course corrections mid-flight, while a bullet cannot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Am I in after CoD references?
View Quote
Dont you go shit-talking Cpt. MacMillan
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you've made shots in the same position before and have your dope then yes, it's mostly irrelevant.

View Quote
Yeah I agree but why calculate a half assed firing solution ? Use all the info you have to get close then walk it in.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uhhhhhh...  yeah, it does.  Aircraft can make corrections for it on the fly however.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
While I must admit, I have never shot at 2 miles......I have put enough lead on steel at a mile and beyond to know that I don't see even a tenth of that much affect on my projectiles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So you're saying it will always drift 35" to the right due to the C effect no matter the firing direction?
I don't think that's accurate.
View Quote
Yes to the right in the northerm hemisphere, to the left in the southern. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Example:

Sit on the equator and fire north
then fire south

Now sit at 2deg latitude and do the same thing.

Are you telling me that the 2deg change in latitude will cause my southern shot to shift completely in the opposite direction compared to a firing position ~40 miles away?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes to the right in the northerm hemisphere, to the left in the southern. 
View Quote
I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but at 1.5 miles my data on my 300 Norma shows the maximum effect coriolis has is .4 mils, or about 21 inches in either East or west direction.

You're coming up with 10 times that because of an extra half mile?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#32]
How much does the planets rotation really effect things?

An Airplane doesn't ADD its speed with Earth's rotation. Like flying in the opposite direction, a commercial jet going 500 mph, doesn't cover more distance even though its not bolted to the Earth. It doesn't add 1,000 mph that the Earth is supposedly turning under it.

Plus, in your car, as you drive 70-80 mph, a Fly buzzing around doesn't splat into the back of your car's windshield. When it decides to fly after already accelerating while it was resting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
While I must admit, I have never shot at 2 miles......I have put enough lead on steel at a mile and beyond to know that I don't see even a tenth of that much affect on my projectiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At a mile under the same conditions the flight time is way shorter. The drop is 13" and the drift is 6"
That would be an elevation difference of 26" east vs west. About 0.2 mil el to acount for and less than 0.1 drift.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes.  It's been tested.

Don't remember what caliber, maybe 7 mag.  Guy set up so he could fire 1000 yards east and from the same spot 1000 yards west.  Point of impact was (I think) about 1- 1.5 feet difference in elevation.  I remember seeing his video of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How much does the planets rotation really effect things?

An Airplane doesn't ADD its speed with Earth's rotation. Like flying in the opposite direction, a commercial jet going 500 mph, doesn't cover more distance even though its not bolted to the Earth. It doesn't add 1,000 mph that the Earth is supposedly turning under it.

Plus, in your car, as you drive 70-80 mph, a Fly buzzing around doesn't splat into the back of your car's windshield. When it decides to fly after already accelerating while it was resting.
View Quote
What would happen to the fly, if you were to suddenly slow down by half?

Would its course be effected? yep.

Try this, walk fast through a room and drop a ball say 6 inches in front of your chest. Chances are good you will run into the ball before it hits the ground, even though you and it were moving at the same speed when you dropped it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but at 1.5 miles my data on my 300 Norma shows the maximum effect coriolis has is .4 mils, or about 21 inches in either East or west direction.

You're coming up with 10 times that because of an extra half mile?
View Quote
That extra half mile almost doubles the flight time. The 230" is the difference from east to west. West will be 115" high east will be 115" low.

The numbers are from Applied Ballistics Analytics. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That extra half mile almost doubles the flight time.
View Quote
Double the flight time doubles the effect, it doesn't change it by an order of magnitude, right?

I'd like to know where you're pulling all these numbers from, because they're way out in left (or right) field.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Double the flight time doubles the effect, it doesn't change it by an order of magnitude, right?

I'd like to know where you're pulling all these numbers from, because they're way out in left (or right) field.
View Quote
Applied Ballistics Analytics

Confirmed by AB Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, he's wrong.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#40]
So when I push my Norma load out to 2 miles in AB, I get a max variable of 88 inches due East or west.

Keeping in mind, 2 miles is way too far for that cartridge. It's 77.9 mils of elevation due North, that's artillery fire at that point.

What cartridge are you basing your numbers off of, a .308?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aircraft are not ballistic.  They have control surfaces they control their flight path.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I always hit him in the arm.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Someone failed their science class.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Confirmed by AB Mobile
View Quote
Screenshot your tables and post it here.

Example from their site for .308 at 1000yd gives a vertical change of .14mil or 5".

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Confirmed by AB Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmed by AB Mobile
Confirmed by Strelok Pro as well.

Confirmed by Shooter as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Screenshot your tables and post it here.

Example from their site for .308 at 1000yd gives a vertical change of .14mil or 5".

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/App%20Online%20Guide%20Images/AB%20Analytics/Shot1.JPG
View Quote
Sorry it's on my laptop with no internet so just a snap with my phone.
Attachment Attached File

And AB Mobile, Strelok Pro and Shooter all agree.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I've shot my 338 LM out to 2400.

Something a lot of people don't think about is you have wind at the ground but also often times a much stronger wind at the apex of the bullet arc. Shooting that far will have your bullet WELL above the trees. You cannot see or easily judge this wind.

If you have ever spent any time in a small plane you know there is often a much stronger wind a couple hundred feet up when taking off or landing vs the ground. It was a real eye opening experience shooting at that distance. Fundamentals are the fundamentals. You have to have them, but at that range there are so many factors in play I feel lucky to get a hit.

You can have significant dope change just shooting at sunrise/set at 1k alone. Coiroilis is waaaaay on down the list in stuff to worry about when shooting past 1k.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sorry it's on my laptop with no internet so just a snap with my phone.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/2017-06-22-09-236348.JPG
View Quote
You snapped the example I posted above
I want to see your table for 2 miles with an 8.4sec flight time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You snapped the example
View Quote
Oh shit I thought you wanted to confirm by wasn't messed up. LOL.

I'll  do another
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last sentence is where it is. I am not saying it is impossible, but jumping down behind a cold rifle in a field position and shooting something 2200+ yards away and making a first round hit even with modern electronics/optics/low SD match ammo is a rare occurance. My hits at that range were walked in. I was close, but close don't cut it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top