Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2017 10:24:16 AM EDT
just got my driver side mirror ripped off by a auto car wash tyhat broke

luckily it was smart enough to stop as soon as it felt resistance (or soon after) and let me out

guy said to give him a quote and he'll send it to his insurance
the stealership is sadly closed today.

not a good start to the day
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No big deal man. Sounds like it'll be taken care of. Enjoy your day, it could be much worse!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Daewoo dealerships closed a long time ago OP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you hate your car's paint
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
just got my driver side mirror ripped off by a auto car wash tyhat broke
luckily it was smart enough to stop as soon as it felt resistance (or soon after) and let me out
guy said to give him a quote and he'll send it to his insurance
the stealership is sadly closed today.

not a good start to the day
View Quote

I'd say you've had a damn good day so far.

Around here, the car washes post "Too Bad - So Sad, we're not responsible for damages to your car!!!"  signs all over their property.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Because I drive my cars and they wear out before the paint does, even when I use automatic car washes.

I own my car...not the other way around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
because trees and brush will do far worse than the car wash will ever do
occasionally I use my 4WD on less than ideal level B and seasonal roads
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
this brings me to wonder...

would it be unethical to get a quote from a stealership and fix it myself?

I mean my time isn't free.  
I would gladly let someone else do it, but if I can get paid for my own labor... why not?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would gladly let someone else do it, but if I can get paid for my own labor... why not?
View Quote
No, it would not be unethical.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd say you've had a damn good day so far.

Around here, the car washes post "Too Bad - So Sad, we're not responsible for damages to your car!!!"  signs all over their property.
View Quote
oh I had a witness (other guy that drove in when I did that can attest to it being attached before) and I scoured the property for those signs before I made the call

I had to bend the sprayer up off of the car to get out
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Most mirrors are easy to swap out. Depending on the vehicle and the options a mirror can cost between $250-750(Had an Audi that was $1000+ recently). If it is a painted mirror you may have to get it painted first as most manufactures don't factory paint the replacements.

ETA: If you're not worried about it being perfect you may be able to find one at a scrap yard for less money. Get the part number from the dealer and call around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most mirrors are easy to swap out. Depending on the vehicle and the options a mirror can cost between $250-750(Had an Audi that was $1000+ recently). If it is a painted mirror you may have to get it painted first as most manufactures don't factory paint the replacements.
View Quote
07 chevy trailblazer
unpainted matte black plastic.
looks like the part is $50 max
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I always go with the touchless ones. The worst that can happen is that it scratches my paint if it malfunctioned and crashed into one of my quarter panels (something I've never seen happen).
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your lucky. Like other have said, car washes usually say too bad for damages like that.

Hand wash only for my truck.
View Quote
this isn't the spinning brush drive through type

you drive in while it sprays the underbody and park with your left front tire on a track/plate and it runs around you with sprayers. after your done there are dryers in the ceiling as you drive out.

it's basically just a automated power washer with soap and wax
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I always wash my vehicles by hand
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always wash my vehicles by hand
View Quote
While I admire this and do it with some cars that don't see cold weather, I'm guessing you don't live in the north where they use salt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Accident by open door while car wash
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd order the part from Rock Auto (as you see they're about $50) and swap it out in an hour.  Tell the guy $75 and we're even and he'll probably trip over himself to get your money.

Going to a body shop is a waste of everyone's time and money (expect for the body shop of course)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Gas powered pressure washer for the win
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Mirror? You were lucky:

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1611-drive-through-carwash-causes-6000-in-damage-on-new-ford-f-150/

Drive-Through Carwash Causes $6,000 in Damage on New Ford F-150
Antenna Gets Caught in Brush, Rips Mast from Fender
Edward A. Sanchez –  Nov 8, 2016

By now, we’ve all seen the Chevy-versus-Ford, steel-versus-aluminum ads where paving bricks and tool boxes are dumped into the bed, with the Chevy Silverado coming out relatively unscathed, whereas the Ford F-150 had some deep gouges in the bed floor. Whether you’re a Ford or Chevy partisan, we can all admit that made-for-TV spots can be staged and produced to create just about any desired outcome. However, when a real-world incident happens, it gets our attention a little more closely. On the Ford F-150 Forum, user dtibbals shared his story about taking his new F-150 through what he thought would be a cheap $5 drive-through carwash to “knock some dust off,” as he says.
Although it’s fairly standard practice for carwashes to post “Not responsible for damage” disclaimers on site, few customers pay much attention to them. Unfortunately for this owner, leaving the non-retractable antenna mast on the truck cost him a $500 insurance deductible and a repair bill totaling $6,000. The carwash’s rotating brushes grabbed the antenna mast, ripped it right out of the fender, and proceeded to whack the side of his truck repeatedly while going through the wash. Would this same thing have happened to a truck with steel fenders? Who knows. But let this be a lesson: pay attention to the carwash warning about removing your antenna!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Just buy a cheap makeup compact from Walmart and duct tape it to the side.

Then pickup a pressure washer while you are there to clean your car in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top