Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/27/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
Any recommendations for a car for a 16 yr old driver?  Looking for something <$6K with decent reliability and safety features.

So far I've been leaning towards an Acura TL 2004-2008.  He is pushing me to consider a BMW 328i, I'm hesitant to buy a german car with 100K miles but the aftermarket support is pretty good for it.

Any other recommendations?  Not really into most domestic cars. I see decent used cars in the $6-7K range but mostly clapped out trash at $5K and below.

Thoughts?

ETA title
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My recommendation is to have him buy his own. Go to a public auction and get something for $800 or less.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you got the money and $1,000 repairs don't mean anything then by all means get the BMW.

Acura would be a nice choice. But $6k is not going to buy a very nice one.

For $6k, I'd get an Accord or Civic.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Accord or Civic sedans
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Civic or Mazda 3 both are very reliable
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My recommendation is to have him buy his own. Go to a public auction and get something for $800 or less.
View Quote
He is paying for half.  $800 and I worry about him making it to work at all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you got the money and $1,000 repairs don't mean anything then by all means get the BMW.

View Quote
In the $6-7K range the prices for an Accord and an Acura TL begin to stabilize and the TL is almost the same price but a better car with more features.  I've owned Honda's / Acura's since 1993.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
get a manual 4x4 truck/suv and call it good.

If he picks a 328i or TL over a 4x4 truck or SUV, he might have something he wants to tell you.....not that there's anything wrong with that.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
get a manual 4x4 truck and call it good.
View Quote
That's what my dad did.  Suited me just fine.  It had it's quirks because it was mostly used up when I got it, but it was mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
So when will he find the time to work 3 jobs on top of high school to pay for the insurance on a BMW? On top of the fact that statistically speaking he's going to wreck the damn thing within a year of owning it.

His expectations and reality do not meet. Unless of course you're footing that bill, OP. In which case, you're choosing poorly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
The issue I'm finding with Accords are they are the same price for the same year and most the accords / Civics are clapped out and not taken as good of care.  The Acura had a higher starting point which seems to have received better care from those owners with less turn over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Camry, accord, corolla, civic.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Your 16 yo doesn't need a fucking BMW!  Get a Honda Civic, Accord or a Toyota Corolla or Camry.  Manual transmission would do the little fucker good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Those ratings are for 2014 and newer so not super applicable but interesting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Used crown vic from a police auction. Cheap and can be repaired easily when, not if, he wrecks it. Besides, his friends won't think it's cool so they won't ride with him and be a distraction. Plus the cops will be watching him  because most of the bangers and wanna bes around here drive them. Guess they wanted to see what the view was like from the front seat!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
get a manual 4x4 truck/suv and call it good.

If he picks a 328i or TL over a 4x4 truck or SUV, he might have something he wants to tell you.....not that there's anything wrong with that.....
View Quote
He does want a truck but I'm buying my own at the end of summer and the trucks in the $6-7k range in TX are beat to hell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
My first car, Plymouth Reliant, it was as old as I was and I had it exactly 5 months before I rear ended a truck in a construction zone screwing up the grille and the headlight. Was damn glad I wrecked it instead of the car I wanted. You would be foolish to spend any kind of good money on a first car.

Edit: I HATED my father for giving me this rolling elderly mobile as a first car, honestly, in hindsight I understand why he did. I'll also be doing the same to my kid when he's old enough. Cheap car with cheap insurance that none of his friends would be caught dead in. Saves from the distraction and he can properly learn how to drive. As far as the wreck, I was distracted by a girlfriend in the passenger seat.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Used crown vic from a police auction. Cheap and can be repaired easily when, not if, he wrecks it. Besides, his friends won't think it's cool so they won't ride with him and be a distraction. Plus the cops will be watching him  because most of the bangers and wanna bes around here drive them. Guess they wanted to see what the view was like from the front seat!
View Quote
I did ride a long with a cop buddy of mine last month.  One take away from him, "don't ever buy a former patrol car."  While they are maintained they are ridden hard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He does want a truck but I'm buying my own at the end of summer and the trucks in the $6-7k range in TX are beat to hell.
View Quote
SUV? Or use the truck to learn on/maintain?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your 16 yo doesn't need a fucking BMW!  Get a Honda Civic, Accord or a Toyota Corolla or Camry.  Manual transmission would do the little fucker good.
View Quote
I'm paying half up to $3K and letting him narrow down the selection.  What kid wouldn't put a 3 series in the list if they can be had for the same price as an Accord or Camry?  I'll price the insurance out for him so he can get a reality check.  I'm definitely not footing the entire bill, it will be a learning exercise and we very well may end up with a total clunker for 6+ mos to see how he does...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SUV? Or use the truck to learn on/maintain?
View Quote
I've got an Acura MDX already so the car will be a 3rd car.  We actually don't have a sedan, just an SUV and minivan which will get sold later this year for a truck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
We are in the same boat but looking to spend $4k or less for the teenage daughter.

Our search is limited to Accord, Camry, Civic or Corolla. PERIOD.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a Ford Taurus.

I never crashed it but it would've been great in a crash.

Those things are tough.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#25]
A $1000 car and $5000 worth of insurance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
All of this.

He is a teenager.  Of course he wants a stupid car that he thinks is cool.

You are a parent.  You should explain why he's getting a reliable car that isn't expensive to operate or insure.  

I bought mine a Toyota with 80K miles.  We did some work on it, as it needed a few things.  She did a lot of the work, with me explaining things to her.  

There are differences between boys and girls.  I spent a little more because I don't want my teenage daughter on the side of the road.  If she were a boy, I wouldn't have spent quite as much because I'm not as worried about a teenage boy's safety on the side of the road.  

Also, boys will tear a car up.  What were you like as a new driver?  What were your friends like?  They were perfect angels in the view of their parents, and they were imitating Bo and Duke Luke when their parents weren't watching.  A slow car is good.  A car that the kid will hold back on a little due to fear of it breaking is good.  

JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't even want my sixteen year old getting a license. I'm terrified to let her drive.

But, I've been saving the '97 Saturn SL2 for her. Five speed. AM/FM cassette. It's a SWEET ride.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I was shopping for a 325/328 BMW last year. I loved the looks of them. (Still do)

NOBODY recommended me a BMW unless I was buying NEW and under WARRANTY.

I stopped shopping for BMW's and decided to buy a brand new Corolla instead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Toyota Prius, great gas mileage on his shoe string budget. The back seats lay flat to make a bed and the engine can be used as a generator for the batteries... Burns about 1.5-2 gallons for his overnight "adventures".
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]
2002 4Runner. He cant drive too fast and wont have money for drugs after buying gas....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Crash safety rating would be my first selection criteria for a novice, teenage driver.    By far.   No other criteria even comes close.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Acuras? BMWs?  WTF?  Is your kid "Blane" from a Molly Ringwald movie?  How about a used Civic?  Shite.  I guess I should go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Camry, accord, corolla, civic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you just have really shitty availability in your AO or something?

There's a bazillion Civics up here in decent enough shape for around $2k, plenty that I would trust as a DD without question. $6k and I can pick from a hell of a lot of stuff. (But Civic really would be my suggestion here.)

My primary car for this time of year cost me $4k. (The other car cost me $7500, but that's a bit different beast, and DEFINITELY not something you want to give a 16 year old.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Would recommend a prius.

Awful little cars we have one at work.  Slow and not fun to drive.

They do have all the safety features including for sexual protection.  It's not a car that would help get laid in any way other than as transportation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Law of averages says he'll wreck it in the first year. Get a Subaru as they have good crash ratings.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or a Toyota Corolla or Camry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]
DO him a favor and get him hooked on v8's
don't get him hooked on ricer crap

16 yo boys dream car

dam things are cheap in Texas

do him a favor, get a stick shift
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
04 Subaru wrx
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Find something disposable.  A nice 1998 Taurus or Sable will do the job.
View Quote
good advise, get him hooked on Fords!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Crash safety rating would be my first selection criteria for a novice, teenage driver.    By far.   No other criteria even comes close.
View Quote
This is a key part of my criteria.  Frankly the mid tier previous luxury vehicles typically have great safety ratings and depreciate like bricks after 6-7 years putting them in the same range as accords, etc.  

I had a Civic, it was a lot flimsier than my accord so that's probably turning me off from them.

I do think the 328i is out, I'm going through the process of letting him narrow the choices down and then I will guide him as a responsible parent ought to.  The safety ratings for insurance are a key factor, the Acura TL is available in a 6 sp which I like but the wife unit does not.  The kid has a dirt bike so clutching it isn't a new concept for him but he does have anxiety so Ill have to see if that is the right fit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Would recommend a prius.

Awful little cars we have one at work.  Slow and not fun to drive.

They do have all the safety features including for sexual protection.  It's not a car that would help get laid in any way other than as transportation.
View Quote
I got in more "trouble" with the Prius, then I did with a Corvette... May just be my AO, but I only had dudes interested in my Corvette.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
4Runner
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#45]
My recommendation is a $3000 car.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Nissan hardbody, Ford Ranger (Mazda B series), Chevy S-10 (GMC Sonoma/Isuzu Hombre).  

Any flavor of the three as long as it's a 4-cyl and manual transmission.  Plentiful parts, cheap parts, and easy to work on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Honda Civic.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
DO him a favor and get him hooked on v8's
don't get him hooked on ricer crap

16 yo boys dream car

dam things are cheap in Texas

do him a favor, get a stick shift
View Quote
I'm sure the insurance is a house payment on those for a 16yr old.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a car for a 16 yr old driver?  Looking for something <$6K with decent reliability and safety features.

So far I've been leaning towards an Acura TL 2004-2008.  He is pushing me to consider a BMW 328i, I'm hesitant to buy a german car with 100K miles but the aftermarket support is pretty good for it.

Any other recommendations?  Not really into most domestic cars. I see decent used cars in the $6-7K range but mostly clapped out trash at $5K and below.

Thoughts?

ETA title
View Quote

Two hookers and a lot of blow.

Ohhh you ment a car. Sorry I've got nothing.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I did ride a long with a cop buddy of mine last month.  One take away from him, "don't ever buy a former patrol car."  While they are maintained they are ridden hard.
View Quote
Look for one from a university.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top