Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/25/2017 8:41:48 AM EDT
My wife (an ER doc) wrote this small article about Doctors asking questions about gun ownership and wanted to get feed back. What do you guys think?

Docs versus Glocks Movement?

Gun-safety counseling is seen by some as a legal obligation on the part of most primary care physicians, however, most gun owners do not feel that this is an appropriate routine medical question. In 2011 the state of Florida passed the Florida Firearm Owners’ Privacy Act, which prohibited physicians from asking patients about whether they owned a gun, under routine circumstances. If the question became clinically relevant, such as in a suicidal or homicidal patient, then it was acceptable.

Many physicians argue that they bring up the subject of firearms during a routine visit for the sake of discussing safe storage and other ownership practices. However, others see the gun control movement as the motivating reason for the questioning.  The Florida law states "a healthcare practitioner “...shall respect a patient's right to privacy and should refrain from making a written inquiry or asking questions concerning the ownership of a firearm”

Earlier this year the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals overturned some of the provisions of the Florida’s Firearm Owners’ Privacy Act, and it is now no longer illegal for the health care provider to ask and educate patients and further document about firearm discussions. Do most patients find this acceptable? Are these measures beyond the scope of medical practice? The answer depends on who you ask of course. While the right to have the firearm discussion is protected by the first amendment, we must learn a way to do it that is not judgmental and in a way that respects others point of view. It is also important to keep in mind that physicians are not trying to confiscate the patient’s firearms and not every physician is against owning a firearm. As a matter of fact there are a few of us that while we believe in prevention of gun related injuries still love our weapons.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I never answer those questions
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Doctors arent qualified to discuss firearms safety and or storage methods
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
"Irrelevant to my medical care, Doc.  Next question."
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it is immoral and unethical when using the excuse "to prevent injury".   I have never had a doctor ask, but I would not be happy with this type of interrigatory intrusion.  

If it were about safety, why don't they ask if I wear my seatbelt?  Play with matches?  Skydive?   The answer is that it has nothing to do with safety, it is all about control, and any doc who says otherwise is complicit.   <---- (thats a period).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I lol'd.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your silence already answered their question.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I told her to expect this exact response. I haven't ever been asked personally but wouldn't answer if asked.

She's going to show a large group of Docs the same article to see how many of them actually want to, or do, ask gun related questions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My doctor hunts and fishes. About all we talk about in between cough and bend over.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
My Dr. Asked me once.  I politely told him it was none of his business and had nothing to do with why I was there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
They should stick to golf.   My ownership of anything is beyond the scope of their duty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
So if I ask my Doctor how to the set the headspace  and timing on my M2 he can tell me? I need to ask and then record his answer......
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true. Doctors aren't experts in everything, despite popular myth.

As a surgeon, most of my gun questions involve where to shoot & favorite reloading recipes.

I also don't ask about sex/monogamy/extramarital II sues, drugs unless germane, seat belts etc
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The only correct answer is "no." That's what I always say. It ends the gun issue right there and we can go on with the actual medical issue.

The only people who get pissed about this issue is gun owners. So if you answer "None of your business," or "that's irrelevant," or simply refuse to answer, they know that means "yes."

That's why the only correct answer is "no."
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
So an NRA Instructor who is also a Doctor is not qualified because of his Dr status?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Do they ask about chainsaws and flamethrowers?  If I've correctly torqued my lawnmower blade?  Should doctors inquire about high risk sports or excessive speeding?  Whether or not I've properly fenced in my backyard pool?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing at my last visit about guns. Did get a weird question - "do you feel safe today?"

Fucking weird as shit. Feel safe?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#17]
lol pediatricians are worse than GPs. i remember in med school a prof went on an anti gun tirade. i looked around, read the room, and identified the second most intense stank face. we are still friends decades later.

if they really cared about preventable senseless deaths they would outlaw swimming pools.

1) a pool is not a constitutional right
2) a pool has never prevented a crime
3) you could actually enforce a ban on pools, you can see them from the air.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I told her to expect this exact response. I haven't ever been asked personally but wouldn't answer if asked.

She's going to show a large group of Docs the same article to see how many of them actually want to, or do, ask gun related questions.
View Quote
I would say she should then follow up with how many of those that ask are qualified (by training and/or experience) to discuss proper firearms safety (handling, storage), or have a program they can refer the patients to to get instructions on the same.

If they're asking the question, but not following up appropriately...I'd call it malpractice.....(and I'm a Podiatrist).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I talk guns and gardening With my doctor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So an NRA Instructor who is also a Doctor is not qualified because of his Dr status?
View Quote
correct.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Lie?

Or simply state obvious retorical answers.

"Patient, do you own any guns?"

"Doc, Guns are dangerous. Those things can kill people" which is true, but may not be why you own guns and they are safe in your hands.

"Yes, patient, but do you own any guns?"

"Doc, Why would I have a dangerous killing machine in my home, that's ridiculous??!!" Which is true, you don't have a dangerous killing machine in your home. You have an inanimate object that with due care will propel a projectile very accurately into an acceptable target at a known distance. It's not a killing machine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]
The only doctor I've ever discussed firearms with is my eye doctor, who is a gun nut like me. Never had any weapons discussion with any other medical professional. They don't bring it up and neither do I. My eye doc only knew because he heard me mention something about my gun shop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol pediatricians are worse than GPs...
View Quote
The wife did say it was a pretty normal question for pediatricians to ask for "education" purposes.

She was pretty surprised when I told her almost no one would answer those questions truthfully. She has read several articles that claim patients don't mind answering gun related questions. I laughed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nothing at my last visit about guns. Did get a weird question - "do you feel safe today?"

Fucking weird as shit. Feel safe?
View Quote
They're trying to determine if you're suicidal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would say she should then follow up with how many of those that ask are qualified (by training and/or experience) to discuss proper firearms safety (handling, storage), or have a program they can refer the patients to to get instructions on the same.

If they're asking the question, but not following up appropriately...I'd call it malpractice.....(and I'm a Podiatrist).
View Quote
That's a great idea. Ill pass that along for her.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lie?

Or simply state obvious retorical answers.

"Doc, Guns are dangerous. Those things can kill people" which is true, but may not be why you own guns and they are safe in your hands.

"Yes, patient, but do you own any guns?"

"Doc, Why would I have a dangerous killing machine in my home, that's ridiculous??!!" Which is true, you don't have a dangerous killing machine in your home. You have an inanimate object that with due care will propel a projectile very accurately into an acceptable target at a known distance. It's not a killing machine.
View Quote
Those answers scream "yes."

And inanimate objects don't kill people.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think it is immoral and unethical when using the excuse "to prevent injury".   I have never had a doctor ask, but I would not be happy with this type of interrigatory intrusion.  

If it were about safety, why don't they ask if I wear my seatbelt?  Play with matches?  Skydive?   The answer is that it has nothing to do with safety, it is all about control, and any doc who says otherwise is complicit.   <---- (thats a period).
View Quote
Do you know that I need to ask about throw rugs, extension cords, accessible cleaning chemicals, and seat belt use during many assessments?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Simply ask them how many of their patients have died because of "medical misadventures".  Medical Misadventures kill more people annually than do firearms.

"It's a chilling reality – one often overlooked in annual mortality
statistics: Preventable medical errors persist as the No. 3 killer in
the U.S. – third only to heart disease and cancer – claiming the lives
of some 400,000 people each year. At a Senate hearing Thursday, patient safety officials put
their best ideas forward on how to solve the crisis, with IT often at
the center of discussions.        Hearing members, who spoke before the Subcommittee on Primary Health
and Aging, not only underscored the devastating loss of human life –
more than 1,000 people each day – but also called attention to the fact
that these medical errors cost the nation a colossal $1 trillion each year."

Medical Misadventures Hit Record Heights
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Taught my daughter, who sees a doctor several times a year,  to answer the gun question "guns are icky" and repeat it if they ask again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol pediatricians are worse than GPs. i remember in med school a prof went on an anti gun tirade. i looked around, read the room, and identified the second most intense stank face. we are still friends decades later.

if they really cared about preventable senseless deaths they would outlaw swimming pools.

1) a pool is not a constitutional right
2) a pool has never prevented a crime
3) you could actually enforce a ban on pools, you can see them from the air.
View Quote
I've had to explain to parents that a 5 gallon bucket half full is a drowing hazard to a toddler.

You guys have no idea what sort of basic teaching some people need.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've handed out the NRA Eddy the eagle literature to parents that have asked for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

Then i fire the doc
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#33]
It's none of their damn business,  and I won't mind telling them so if I'm ever asked.

Also that whole to prevent injury bull shit... the whole to protect me from myself,  yeah that shits past due being shut down. My safety and that of my family is my and my wife's responsibility and no one else's!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
If I was a gun owner doc, I'd say I've probably killed a lot fewer people than you have. Go back for more refresher courses doc, so you don't kill me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doctors are not police detectives. They aren't investigating crimes. They just have to ask manditory questions that some regulatory board is forcing them to answer out of fear of getting in some sort of licensing conflict.

many, many doctors are extremely over burdened with this kind of crap forced upon them by some know nothing political hacks trying to control everything.

Doctors just want to herd as many patients through their waiting rooms to make as much money as they can so that they can pay their high overhead costs including outrageous malpractice insurance so that they can help and heal people as best they can.

Yes, a few are true believers in gun control and some would even entertain the thought of banning all guns. But not from a political perspective but from a misguided idea that banning inanimate objects would some how be some sort of a panacea.

Just lie to them, they'll check the box that they asked, and get the fuck out of their office so they can see the next patient.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#36]
It was mentioned during an "educational" meeting before my sons were released from the NICU a week after being born.  I believe it was a social worker who brought it up and she was pretty cool about it.  Mentioned a couple of products and methods that allowed safe storage and easy authorized access.  Brought up the point that having a gun in the home was a risk assessment decision and for at least a few years we'd have to consider that with a variety of common household items.  Actually, she was more worried about my table saw and our dog.  I didn't find it overbearing or intrusive and I could see where quite a few of the new parents in the NICU were so blazing stupid they wouldn't even consider not leaving their meth on the coffee table.  

My regular doctor is pretty sure I've got guns because a couple of times I've had to visit his office in uniform. That really throws off the whole stepping on the scales thing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's none of their damn business,  and I won't mind telling them so if I'm ever asked.
View Quote
So you are therefore letting them know you have guns and are emotionally unstable.

Just calmly say no. It's not a which hunt. It's for insurance purposes
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I have my flame retardant suit on, but when I do pediatric exams I always say "firearms should be stored where your child can't get them or have some sort of lock" as well as discussing child/booster seats, seatbelts, and medicine cabinets.  I almost always get a "all the guns are locked up"

In my opinion, it is similar to telling an adult they need a colonoscopy or PSA or lipid screen and lose some weight.  What is most likely to kill or harm you "tomorrow" that we can address and prevent today.

I never ask "do you have any guns?"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My regular doctor is pretty sure I've got guns because a couple of times I've had to visit his office in uniform. That really throws off the whole stepping on the scales thing.
View Quote
The uniform and belt adds 10-30 or 40 lbs.  I'm really only 180
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you are therefore letting them know you have guns and are emotionally unstable.

View Quote
Not the point and I don't like lying. I'm not saying I'd be a raging asshole. But I'd make my position clear, that I think asking such a question is inappropriate and none of their business.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not the point and I don't like lying. I'm not saying I'd be a raging asshole. But I'd make my position clear, that I think asking such a question is inappropriate and none of their business.

Now if they want to ask something like "If you have any firearms in your house, are they stored safely?" I'm okay with that, so long as you don't try to define what's safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if they want to ask something like "If you have any firearms in your house, are they stored safely?" I'm okay with that, so long as you don't try to define what's safe.
I guess you'll know who to blame when the FEMA train comes

Per your edit after I quoted

Asking if you owns guns just prefaces the question you said is ok. If the answer to the question is no than I can move on to things like plastic bags not being suitable play toys for infants
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been asked by 2 separate pediatricians during routine checkups with my kids.  I had no problem telling them that I do own firearms and keep them secured. Shockingly, I didn't get any visits from government agents or black helicopters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct.
So what percentage of Drs are actually qualified to give firearm safety advise?
Yeah I thought so.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

So not fighting this kind of questioning by a healthcare provider is the answer?  
IMO saying 'none of your business' is not saying yes.  And if they can otherwise prove that I do have them, they can do that no matter what I say.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The wife did say it was a pretty normal question for pediatricians to ask for "education" purposes.

She was pretty surprised when I told her almost no one would answer those questions truthfully. She has read several articles that claim patients don't mind answering gun related questions. I laughed.
View Quote
As I recall, pediatricians started this line of questioning by doctors, due to some national pediatrics group doing a study and including the "do you own guns?" "do you keep them locked up?" questions on a form that was a list of questions for pediatricians to use during annual checkups to gather blind data for child health statistics (smokers in the house and various other things were included in the list).  This study is where the anti-gun lobby got their statistical claims to support the safe storage laws that they have been pushing since the 1990s.

15 or 20 years ago, my daughter's pediatrician asked the "do you own guns?" question while going down the list of questions on that form.  From her tone, body language, and expression, she was saying "yeah, this is stupid, but it's on the form and they want me to fill it out" as she asked the question.  I had already read (on talk.politics.guns or rec.guns) about pediatricians doing this, and I was actually a little surprised I hadn't already encountered the question.  I replied "yes, and they are stored where she can't get to them."  The pediatrician gave an exaggerated nod, marked the next question, and went on with the other questions, never bringing up guns again.  

I was probably in the minority of gun owners that didn't 1) lie, or 2) get really bent out of shape over being asked.  A couple years later, she opened her own clinic.  A few years after that, I was mildly amused that a pediatrician she had brought into her clinic had the same last name as one of the big name companies in the firearms industry.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife always asks when shes doing her initial mental health screening.  Suicide is a definite issue with her patient population.  I'd say maybe a third of them are working on a contingency plan in case they need to call it quits during the course of their illnesses.  It's a real issue that needs real discussion in many cases.  

She had one patient that had an enormous collection worth many thousands of dollars.  All good stuff from the 50's and 60's.  He was rapidly failing and it turned out they were one of the major stresses in his life.  She worked with him to come up with a plan to sell them off without having to deal with the low ballers and criminals.  The FFL that is doing the sale on a consignment basis is working it so that he receives a monthly check rather than a dump of cash that relatives will just swoop in and steal.  If she hadn't asked she would have never known about this issue.   He kept a .45 for all the right reasons.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Doctors are not police detectives...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doctors are not police detectives...
Then why not just end the topic with a simple "no" instead of dancing around the issue with silly answers that will make them repeat the question?

Just lie to them..
I could have sworn that was what I said in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I talk guns with doctors all the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

So not fighting this kind of questioning by a healthcare provider is the answer?  
IMO saying 'none of your business' is not saying yes.  And if they can otherwise prove that I do have them, they can do that no matter what I say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Someone says "none if your business" and you can't make a pretty good guess? Just say no if it bothers you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top