Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/23/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
"The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) SPR-STK-T-EIA, the world's largest, holds about 688 million barrels of crude in heavily guarded underground caverns in Louisiana and Texas."

"The White House budget, which will be delivered to Congress on Tuesday, proposes to start selling SPR oil in fiscal 2018, which begins on Oct. 1. The sales would generate $500 million in the first year, documents released by the administration showed.

Sales from the reserve would gradually rise over the following years, peaking at nearly $3.9 billion in 2027, and totaling nearly $16.6 billion from 2018 to 2027.

A release of half over 10 years averages about 95,000 barrels per day (bpd), or 1 percent of current U.S. output.

Although the figure is equivalent only to the output of a mid-sized field, it sends a powerful signal about the United States' decreasing need for imports as its own production reaches new highs."

"The IEA, which counts the United States as a member, requires member countries to keep strategic stocks equal to 90 days of the previous year’s net oil imports.

PVM said if U.S. imports in coming years matched those of 2016, the country would need to keep 489 million barrels of oil in the SPR, some 140-150 million barrels above the proposed new level."

"The United States has more leeway to release SPR crude as its own production C-OUT-T-EIA has surged 49 percent over the past five years."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-oil-reserves-idUSKBN18J0T2
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't agree with that spr should be maintained, especially while crude prices are low.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's a fucking stupid idea.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Good

We paid a shit ton to store that crap each year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone here actually been in the SPR caverns?  They must be ginormous.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Why sit on it when we have an absurd amount of proven reserves plus technology that has no par in recovering those reserves?

Seriously. I get "money in the bank" and "oh shit" cases. But with the number of capped Wells across the united States... Less debt seems like a smarter move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not an oil expert, but why are we importing oil if we need to sell oil? couldn't we just sell that to ourselves cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't we wait to see if the price gets a little lower?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
US oil consumption is roughly 20 million barrels per day, for perspective.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not an oil expert, but why are we importing oil if we need to sell oil? couldn't we just sell that to ourselves cheaper?
View Quote

Type of crude and location. My understanding is many US refineries are setup for heavy crude and much of what we produce is light crude. Also getting domestic oil to East and West coast refineries is tricky.

(Anyone with direct knowledge feel free to correct me)
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
We import alot from Canada. Mostly due to cost of transportation. There's a ton of pipelines that criss cross the border there.

We also important a lot of finished / refined products on the coast line because it's cheaper to refine crude in other countries due to emission regulations, etc.

We also export a significant volume of finished product.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Those dudes at Bryan Mound guarding the place didn't look like they wanted to play around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't agree with that spr should be maintained, especially while crude prices are low.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why sit on it when we have an absurd amount of proven reserves plus technology that has no par in recovering those reserves?

Seriously. I get "money in the bank" and "oh shit" cases. But with the number of capped Wells across the united States... Less debt seems like a smarter move.
View Quote
It wouldn't be so bad IF, we were just sitting on it.   But we're not, government is involved.  Which means that crap cost a lot of money to store in the fucking ground.  

We took it out of the ground, where oil is stored for FREE.  We put back into the ground, where it should be stored for free ...but oh no, that can't happen, because ...government.  

It's expensive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
... Good economic move
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good

We paid a shit ton to store that crap each year.
View Quote
On first impression I agree, we have "strategic oil reserves" under our country naturally. We no longer need to import massive amounts of oil we can pump it ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I tend to agree with you.  That being said, I think this would take us below a 90-day reserve threshold?  How quickly can we tap into the reserves in the ground?

If anything this demonstrates what an oil powerhouse the US is these days.  Things are a lot different now compared to when the reserve was created.

What's the shelf life on a bbl of oil?  Can it be stored indefinitely?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad move
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Type of crude and location. My understanding is many US refineries are setup for heavy crude and much of what we produce is light crude. Also getting domestic oil to East and West coast refineries is tricky.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  Refineries and processing plants are tailored to a specific feedstock, sometimes it makes economic sense to buy an oil from a different formation to maximize returns.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know how I feel about this move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be so bad IF, we were just sitting on it.   But we're not, government is involved.  Which means that crap cost a lot of money to store in the fucking ground.  

We took it out of the ground, where oil is stored for FREE.  We put back into the ground, where it should be stored for free ...but oh no, that can't happen, because ...government.  

It's expensive.
View Quote
Is it going to cost half to guard half the oil?  Or are we still going to pay just as much to store it because the same facilities and mechanisms are in place?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Things are a lot different now compared to when the reserve was created.

View Quote
Well I don't know about "indefinitely, but 100's of millions of years ....yeah, the Earth holds it for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
We have plenty of oil already underground that hasn't been tapped.

Sell what's already been stored at a higher margin vs extracting what's still in the ground at a higher cost.

Not a bad move.  The US is sitting on plenty of crude.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I tend to agree with you.  That being said, I think this would take us below a 90-day reserve threshold?  How quickly can we tap into the reserves in the ground?

If anything this demonstrates what an oil powerhouse the US is these days.  Things are a lot different now compared to when the reserve was created.

View Quote
Without government stepping on the industry's dick and the idle rig count- FAST.

I dare say that the plays in OK/TX/ND could outrun their support industries (specifically local tank storage) without a doubt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's expensive.
View Quote
We are on the same page. Which is why I'm saying sell it. Make money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now is a great time to sell. Prices are going down.

I'm more worried about them selling off the Strategic Helium Reserve.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy high, sell low.  Yep, sounds like a government program.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's expensive.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think there's magical maintenance free and completely secure storage to be found in nature?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm more worried about them selling off the Strategic Hydrogen Reserve.
View Quote
Do we really have one of those?  We have a Strategic Helium Reserve, I think.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

H or He? 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#31]
16.6 Billion you say....

...hmmm, isn't that about what the wall will cost?

I'd rather have the freakin wall than 16.6 Billion in oil under the ground.

But what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]
If you see prices going down, or even if prices hold at a slightly higher rate that would offset your cost of maintenance/storage....and your cost to create it has gone down in the last few years...

Sell it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#33]
This is Monopoly it ain't bingo.

What else are you gonna do when Saudi owns the largest refinery?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making squeaky voices is a matter of the utmost national security.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#35]
This is the perfect time for it, on account of how crude oil costs next to fucking nothing right now.

No, wait, not "perfect", the other thing-- yeah, retarded, it's a retarded time to sell the reserve.

Why couldn't these clown-town motherfuckers sell off some of the reserve when gas was four fifty a fucking gallon?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could be tied to a payoff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is the perfect time for it, on account of how crude oil costs next to fucking nothing right now.

No, wait, not "perfect", the other thing-- yeah, retarded, it's a retarded time to sell the reserve.

Why couldn't these clown-town motherfuckers sell off some of the reserve when gas was four fifty a fucking gallon?
View Quote
For the very reason it was 4.50/gal - scarcity
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought they were just underground tanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. I fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you 12 or just a millennial?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's always smart to sell strategic stuff when it's fulfilling it's purpose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you super serious all the time or just on the Internet?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#44]
good deal...Memorial Day Weekend and diesel goes up .10 a gallon....squash that price....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Bad idea.

Next thing you know people will be getting down to a 90 round zombie reserve because ammo is cheap and plentiful at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Sell it
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're right. I fixed it.
View Quote
Hey, for all I know we have a Hydrogen reserve too!

"The reserve was established with the enactment of the Helium Act of 1925. The strategic supply provisioned the noble gas for airships, and in the 1950s became an important source of coolant during the Cold War and Space Race."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve

"Get gubberment outta the helium business!"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
This is going to fuck the oil market really hard.

But, the idea of a couple of large stockpiles makes me wince.

It would be better if there was more dispersement of the actual reserves in the form of required capacity at the individual refineries. (This was brought up a while ago)

Having the 60+ US based refineries add an equivalent amount of storage locally and then cut back the amount held at the SPR locations.
This would help both time-to-market (SPR can only shed 4M barrels a day anyhow) and reduce dependance on spot order fulfilling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think there's magical maintenance free and completely secure storage to be found in nature?
View Quote
lol, I do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Good.  There really isn't a need for it to be full up right now.  I can see keeping half for the event of a war or something but we have plenty of oil in the ground ready to be pumped out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top