Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2017 9:10:16 AM EDT
The wife and I have 4 days off and want to go somewhere in the US we haven't been. We live in New England and have done Florida a bunch of times.

We were thinking Las Vegas or somewhere out west/down south. Maybe somewhere in Texas. We want to move down south or out west so places that a great to live are cool too. Just looking for a spontaneous adventure. Suggestions on what to do would be awesome. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The wife and I have 4 days off and want to go somewhere in the US we haven't been. We live in New England and have done Florida a bunch of times.

We were thinking Las Vegas or somewhere out west/down south. Maybe somewhere in Texas. We want to move down south or out west so places that a great to live are cool too. Just looking for a spontaneous adventure. Suggestions on what to do would be awesome. 
View Quote

Wait a couple of months and go to Cola Warrior Texas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Only four days? That's hardly worth packing the bags. You'll get what, one maybe two days at most to enjoy? Fuck that, for a four day weekend I'm sitting in my living room in my PJs playing video games.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait a couple of months and go to Cola Warrior Texas.
View Quote
Few things in life would make me happier but this is a short notice deal. We're talking next week. Time off for us doesn't happen much. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Seattle, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon for the experience.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Four days? Probably nowhere outside of the state; too much of limited time would be spent driving. Maybe the Adirondacks. Not exactly the time of year to be there, however.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Four days?

My first thought was Vegas. See a couple shows, gamble, eat. If you're energetic, plenty of side trips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Only 4 days? I would find something to do in a neighboring area or state that isn't more than a few hours drive otherwise if you fly or its a longer drive your going to spend most of day 1 and day 4 travelling there and back, and your 4 day vacation suddenly becomes two days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I would fly to FL and hop on the Norwegian Sky.  Does 3 day cruises to nowhere or their private island. I would take an extra day if I did that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If you only have 4 days, go to Las Vegas. Rent a machine gun, visit the strip, Hoover Dam, gamble, watch a show, treat your lady out to a fancy dinner.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Vicksburg, Mississippi.  I want to tour the battlefield and do some research in their library.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Four days? Probably nowhere outside of the state; too much of limited time would be spent driving. Maybe the Adirondacks. Not exactly the time of year to be there, however.
View Quote
California is a great place visit. Fly in to Sacramento (or San Francisco). Do a loop. Four day options out of there can include Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Monterey area, wine country, Lake Tahoe, Sierras, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only 4 days? I would find something to do in a neighboring area or state that isn't more than a few hours drive otherwise if you fly or its a longer drive your going to spend most of day 1 and day 4 travelling there and back, and your 4 day vacation suddenly becomes two days.
View Quote
We're ok with the traveling time. It's an adventure. New England isn't much fun this time of year. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
In your situation I would probably go relax somewhere on the gulf coast or the Florida Keys.   No point planning anything as you will be too rushed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Vegas.
Take an early morning direct flight.
First day take it easy and see the strip.
Take a nap do supper and see a show or Fremont  street.
Get a rental car and do 1 day valley of fire and the Hoover dam.
Do another 1 day trip to Zion National Park in Utah.
Last day do anything maybe a little gambling.
Take the red eye back not to waste any days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
4 days? Maybe a float trip down on Jack's Fork or Current River here in MO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We're ok with the traveling time. It's an adventure. New England isn't much fun this time of year. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go see the Grand Canyon and cross it off your bucket list. By the time you drive to the airport, get through TSA security, wait, board, taxi, fly, land etc. Day 1 will be pretty much spent (same for Day 4). That gives you 1 full days to see and explore the Grand Canyon and one more to do something else in the area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#17]
St.George UT is beautiful if you like outdoorsy stuff. It's only an hour and a half north of Vegas. My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Entrada and was a fantastic vacation. Snow Canyon and Zion National Park are right there to go explore for a day if you wanted. Our just relax at Entrada.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Four days?

My first thought was Vegas. See a couple shows, gamble, eat. If you're energetic, plenty of side trips.
View Quote
This. Hit the Hoover dam and Grand Canyon.

Stay at Aria
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Ansel Adams Wilderness (California) Backpacking - September 2015
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Long weekend in Charleston SC
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seattle, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon for the experience.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Sedona Arizona
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
It depends on the time of year.
This time of year, Florida beaches or Alabama's gulf coast.
Ask me in August/Sept and I'd respond with Eagle Cap Wilderness, Oregon or the Pacific Crest Trail anywhere from Summit Lake, Oregon up to Goat Rocks Wilderness, WA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#24]
VEGAS
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Only 4 days? Short notice? Minimal planning? Vegas. 

Everything you could want to do is there in some form - and 99% of it is air conditioned. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#26]
You probably want a big city in order to get cheap tickets this quick. So either Vegas, LA or San Diego. As much as I hate to recommend the last two they both have plenty of neat things to see or do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Virgin Islands
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Utah or Arizona
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I would just stay home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Vegas is great, but you really need a full week. The Hoover dam is really cool.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
4 days?  I'd go to the unemployment office because I've obviously been fired.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

California is a great place visit. Fly in to Sacramento (or San Francisco). Do a loop. Four day options out of there can include Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Monterey area, wine country, Lake Tahoe, Sierras, etc.
View Quote
4 days?  Spend it all in Lake Tahoe. Bring some hiking boots if during the summer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#33]
chsrleston is awesome this time of year. grab a flight down and have a long weekend in the best city in the south.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#34]
The seat of the God-Emperor's Power.  Once he drains it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Wife and I are gonna road trip the Z to Pikes Peak.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#36]
San Antonio
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Man, if I was out hunting for a place to live, I'd go to Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#38]
4 days?  Somewhere reasonably close to home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Only four days? That's hardly worth packing the bags. You'll get what, one maybe two days at most to enjoy? Fuck that, for a four day weekend I'm sitting in my living room in my PJs playing video games.
View Quote
  It's only 5 hours from JFK to LAX. You could get up early and be in California by lunch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I was going to suggest Amelia Island, FL, not as oppressively touristy as mid-south FL, and there's an arfcommer who does charter fishing somewhere in NE FL.

Other than that, Yellowstone, depending on temps, snow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#41]
A run through the Flathead Valley in Kalispell would be my vote, however I believe it's a bit too early to go all the way through Glacier National Park right now.

Try it sometime in June or July.

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon in May 2015 and it's awesome there.

A drive down 93 into Missoula with a stop in Polson for some brisket at Cherries BBQ Pit.

Seriously though retiring in the Flathead Valley is definitely something we're considering.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Virgin Islands
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Out west is tough because it's still cold most of the beautiful places.

I'm not a fan of Las Vegas, but I've been a bunch and go fairly often for work.

Sedona, Arizona is beautiful, might be a little chilly this time a year, but it's amazing.

The CA Coast is a lot of fun.  My wife loved our trip to Santa Barbara - lots of wineries, very pretty.

San Diego is a beautiful place to visit also.

Northern CA may also be cold, but Sonoma is my favorite place up there (I steer clear of San Fran).

For the South - Charleston and Savannah are my go to spots.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]
If you can stand California's gun laws, the Redwoods, and Northern California, southern Oregon coast along route 101 is really neat.  We used to drive from Monterey, Ca north to Newport, Oregon.  If you are into coastal scenery, it is hard to beat.  But being from east coast seafaring areas, it might seem too much like home.

There is something I find truly impressive about standing next to a living thing (the giant redwoods) that is so big  it boggles your mind.  Seeing photos of them is nothing like being next to one.  Kinda like the difference between seeing photos of a parachute jump, and actually doing one.

If you want something really different, go through S.E. ORegon and N.W. NEvada around the Alvord and Black rock deserts (where they held burning man).  Being so remote that regardless of where you look,my ou cannot see another human is pretty weird.  I like it, but it really frightens many folks.

From Portland, Oregon, you have about a 90 minute drive to ski on Mt. Hood, and 90 minutes the opposite direction is the coast.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you can stand California's gun laws, the Redwoods, and Northern California, southern Oregon coast along route 101 is really neat.  We used to drive from Monterey, Ca north to Newport, Oregon.  If you are into coastal scenery, it is hard to beat.  But being from east coast seafaring areas, it might seem too much like home.

There is something I find truly impressive about standing next to a living thing (the giant redwoods) that is so big  it boggles your mind.  Seeing photos of them is nothing like being next to one.  Kinda like the difference between seeing photos of a parachute jump, and actually doing one.

If you want something really different, go through S.E. ORegon and N.W. NEvada around the Alvord and Black rock deserts (where they held burning man).  Being so remote that regardless of where you look,my ou cannot see another human is pretty weird.  I like it, but it really frightens many folks.

From Portland, Oregon, you have about a 90 minute drive to ski on Mt. Hood, and 90 minutes the opposite direction is the coast.
View Quote
I would second the NW normally, but it's rainy season up there now - not a great place to visit this time of year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#47]
New Orleans
Eat some crawfish, suck some heads
Go to the WWII museum.
Ride the riverboat to the Ne Orleans Battleground and back
Preservation Hall for some jazz
Acme Oyster House, Felix's, or Oceana for Chargrilled oysters
Go to Cafe Beignet on Royal rather than Cafe DuMonde for beignets, they are just better.
Meals From the Heart Cafe in the French Market - try something with a crab cake in it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Find a local B&B in your area and just relax for four days. See things locally as a tourist.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#49]
A bit far but Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This. Hit the Hoover dam and Grand Canyon.

Stay at Aria
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top