User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/27/2017 2:32:13 PM EDT
Customer Service Rep
5 years working for the company
Good at their job, liked by customers.

Came to me last week demanding $75,000 salary.  This person made $57k last year in wages, overtime and bonus, not including 401k match and profit sharing.

Unfortunately for this millennial, I already thought the position was WAY overpaid and this person is now without a job.  *edit to clarify the person resigned because they did not receive the raise*

WTF is wrong with these kids???
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You wasted post 1776.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you don't appear to live anywhere, and you didn't state the industry, I cannot make a judgement on how much $75k really is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They said bye or you fired them for asking ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
$57k for a customer service job and 401k matching?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll do it for fitty g's
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the OP is accurate and the employee demanded a 31% raise then firing on the spot would be in order.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
you technically can't fire someone asking for a raise, even if it's stupid. 

even at employ at will states, HR still needs documentation and all that shit for fear of a lawsuit.

and he probably had another job lined up already.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you telling us you fired a good employee because he asked for a raise?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't get out of bed for 75k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Without more info, I'm going to guess that the former employee had a job offer for 75k and left when the employer wouldn't match it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, some men you just can't reach.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If they left they had a better job offer and were giving you a chance to match. 

If you fired them you're looking at a lawsuit.

Lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking for someone to replace him 57k as a rep is solid as hell
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right to work or not, be prepared for a wrongful termination lawsuit. As you stated, they were good at their job.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you telling us you fired a good employee because he asked for a raise?
View Quote
This.

If he was a good employee, just say no and move on. Perhaps you're the crazy one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
75k for a customer service rep

I'm a software developer and have over 10 yrs experience and I make 83k/yr. That's crazy stuff there.

I'm a millennial too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll do it for fitty g's
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I see it quite a bit with the millennials, but I would say we seem to have a cultural problem whereby lots of people can't seem to connect that their compensation must correspond in some way to the value they provide to whatever organization the work for.  Everyone gets a participation trophy as a kid, so they assume rewards are no longer associated with results.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
OP's thread 6 months from now.  

There are no good employees!  Everyone hates the new guy!   4 dollars an hour is a great wage!  I can't find anyone good because I fire everyone when they ask for raises!

The way you worded your OP I'm honestly surprised you have more then the ability to ask if someone wants fries with that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a millennial and I don't make shit. I'm also bad at asking for raises.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]
you can't fault someone for asking for more money, but you also can't fault an employer for calling someone's ultimatum and letting him walk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
If you fired him for asking for a raise and you don't own the joint, you might be in line right behind him.

If you do own the joint, you might get sued for wrongful termination.

I get the feeling we aren't getting the whole story, and it didn't end so succinctly as OP let's on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they left they had a better job offer and were giving you a chance to match. 

If you fired them you're looking at a lawsuit.

Lol
View Quote

Yep, people do that all the time.

Also, I think people here are reading Customer Service rep and thinking "dude that works at Best Buy selling laptops".

Some industries use that title for what are really their sales/account managers
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
person quit
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't get out of bed for 75k.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]
57K seems high for a customer service rep.  I guess that depends on cost of living where you are and what industry.

I hope you didn't fire them just for asking for a raise OP.   I see your post a few up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Customer Service Rep
5 years working for the company
Good at their job, liked by customers.

Came to me last week demanding $75,000 salary.  This person made $57k last year in wages, overtime and bonus, not including 401k match and profit sharing.

Unfortunately for this millennial, I already thought the position was WAY overpaid and this person is now without a job.

WTF is wrong with these kids???
View Quote

hahaha...good on you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
You actually had one there 5 years, We can't keep them around longer than a couple of pay periods before they start calling in sick with a tummy ache or some other lame ass excuse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag for full story
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]
My monies on he has a job lined up for more money and thought he'd role the dice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You actually had one there 5 years, We can't keep them around longer than a couple of pay periods before they start calling in sick with a tummy ache or some other lame ass excuse.
View Quote
i get plenty of those too.  I plan to automate most of their duties over the course of the next 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I know your industry is probably very different than mine but if a competent, well liked service rep in my industry was making 57k he'd be underpaid.

If he quit for not getting a raise to 75k then I'm guessing he already had a similar paying job set up and was seeing if you'd match or pay better. Hardly crazy, I'd do the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My monies on he has a job lined up for more money and thought he'd role the dice.
View Quote
That was my assumption too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Millennial checking in.

I asked for a 150% raise and it was granted.

I know what I'm worth though, so yeah
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#38]
you could have just said no OP
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#39]
lol he's making bank elsewhere

enjoy your loss of talent
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Username merchant of freedom.  

Guy got a better offer somewhere else.  Asked to have it matched.  Got denied.  Used his freedom to walk out the door.  OP calls him crazy.  

Sounds like the employee did the right thing.  Companies are not loyal to their good employees, what do you expect?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I see it quite a bit with the millennials, but I would say we seem to have a cultural problem whereby lots of people can't seem to connect that their compensation must correspond in some way to the value they provide to whatever organization the work for.  Everyone gets a participation trophy as a kid, so they assume rewards are no longer associated with results.
View Quote
I think there is some truth in your post.  I also think that many millennials have the game figured out.  In my experience, they have no loyalty and have no problem jumping ship every 12 to 18 months for small pay increases.  Based on my observations, it no longer appears that instability in a resume is a red flag.  It used to be employees would stick around for a long time.  Now, not so much.  

I've also seen employees BS their way from a $45K job to a $65K for which they were not qualified and hold said job long enough to just about get fired only to make the leap to an $80k job at another employer.  They are able to land the $80K job based on their BS in the interview and their documented "experience."  And the cycle continues.  Its truly amazing to watch in real time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, if he found a job that would pay him the $75K and had similar benefits/opportunities, then I'd say good for him.  Capitalism and all that, right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Without knowing the job's qualifications, industry, cost of living for the area, etc......

I can't judge.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep, people do that all the time.

Also, I think people here are reading Customer Service rep and thinking "dude that works at Best Buy selling laptops".

Some industries use that title for what are really their sales/account managers
View Quote

Yup, a few jobs ago my official title was 'customer service associate II' the role was more of an Account Manager / Contract Analyst hybrid. Left there for a job that actually had 'analyst' in the title and have almost doubled my income 4 years later.

Can't judge without knowing the location, industry, and duties
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think there is some truth in your post. I also think that many millennials have the game figured out.  In my experience, they have no loyalty and have no problem jumping ship every 12 to 18 months for small pay increases.  Based on my observations, it no longer appears that instability in a resume is a red flag.  It used to be employees would stick around for a long time.  Now, not so much.  

I've also seen employees BS their way from a $45K job to a $65K for which they were not qualified and hold said job long enough to just about get fired only to make the leap to an $80k job at another employer.  They are able to land the $80K job based on their BS in the interview and their documented "experience."  And the cycle continues.  Its truly amazing to watch in real time.
View Quote
Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. It's always something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Meh, my industry 57k is average at best for customer service reps.....there is a wide range of responsibilities with that title. At My employer the CSRs deal with stuff nobody else wants to, and have to have knowledge of the products exceeding almost anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think there is some truth in your post.  I also think that many millennials have the game figured out.  In my experience, they have no loyalty and have no problem jumping ship every 12 to 18 months for small pay increases.  Based on my observations, it no longer appears that instability in a resume is a red flag.  It used to be employees would stick around for a long time.  Now, not so much.  

View Quote
Why be loyal to a company? Profit sharing, pensions, steady raises don't exist anymore. The only way to get more benefits is to negotiate them at the next employment contract based on your experience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Username merchant of freedom.  

Guy got a better offer somewhere else.  Asked to have it matched.  Got denied.  Used his freedom to walk out the door.  OP calls him crazy.  

Sounds like the employee did the right thing.  Companies are not loyal to their good employees, what do you expect?
View Quote
Ok, so lets say I can make $100k doing what I'm doing but I want to work at Taco Bell. If I act all butt hurt because Taco Bell wont pay me $100k to take drive through orders, who's crazy?

Loyalty goes both ways and if most of that guy's job can be automated, per OP, then 57k was way the fuck overpaid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
57K seems high for a customer service rep.  I guess that depends on cost of living where you are and what industry.
View Quote
OP merchandises Freedom... can't put a price on that!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top