Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/27/2017 6:32:19 AM EDT
My senior year of HS, I was debating on joining the Marine Corps after graduation, the recruiter there had just about talked me into joining as an MP, but after awhile I decided against it. Actually I didn't, I just never made up my mind to do it...

Anyway, the conversation came up yesterday with a few USMC vets in the family and it had me thinking out of pure curiosity, if I had joined in the summer or early fall of 2006 as an MP, where would I likely have ended up, and what would I have been doing?

Knowing myself well enough, I'm sure so would have asked for some type of deployment if the opportunity arose (assuming that I wasn't already) but I admittedly know squat about MPs and I'm glad that I didn't join as one.

Armor would have been more my speed looking back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you thinking of all the penises that you could have drawn?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#3]
OP is like a blond bimbo wearing fuck me pumps and a mini skirt walking through a Sweden No Go Zone.

You are going to get absolutely fucking raped in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I wasn't before.

Pure curiosity on my part, and I figured it would be a fun thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP is like a blond bimbo wearing fuck me pumps and a mini skirt walking through a Sweden No Go Zone.

View Quote

Due to the fact that I almost signed up to be an MP, or that I didn't enlist at all?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Due to the fact that I almost signed up to be an MP, or that I didn't enlist at all?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.
I doubt he will get raped in this thread.  Its not like he stole valor or hates the military.

Why do you think it will end up badly?  

I met with an Army recruiter in high school to weigh my options and decided to go straight to getting a STEM degree, am I gonna get raped too?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I doubt he will get raped in this thread.  Its not like he stole valor or hates the military.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.

Enlistment regret/reflection threads never go well.

ETA: Make a thread on it, and find out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The latter.
View Quote

Meh, I had other things going on and I don't regret it. I have all the respect in the world for our vets and I don't pretend to have been mil.

If someone wants to pile on me for that, then let 'em have at it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#10]
What if......Spartacus had a Piper Cub ??

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zero regret here, I like history, and like it or not, 2006 is history.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
OP you would have ended up writing speeding tickets at Bagram.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I am glad my military career is over, and now it's entertaining to read about the what if's people post here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]

He wouldn't have been sitting beside the pilot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.
MP's are despised in the Marine Corps by other Marines. Every Marine is your brother, except these guys tend to fuck you over. They're like a different tier of buddy fuckers. Not to mention hoorah Lcpl with a badge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He wouldn't have been sitting beside the pilot.
View Quote

Hehehe...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.

No, I will take your word for it 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I know a Marine that thought about going back in after getting discharged.

I asked him why he didn't go back. Basically, he told me that there are no promises in life and he didnt know where he would be if he did. He likes his life the way it is.

I did not serve myself but have no regret. The point is that you need to be happy where you are in life. Serving may or may not have made that better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps he's thinking of all the chubbys he could've fucked in his roommate's bed, so drunk that he'd fuck em again in the morning before the buzz wore off and hangover set in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Perhaps he's thinking of all the chubbys he could've fucked in his roommate's bed, so drunk that he'd fuck em again in the morning before the buzz wore off and hangover set in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do I get the impression you have done that?  Stories or link to thread please?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Why do you regret not serving? just wonder what your motivations were to want to be an MP. Being an MP seems more like a career decision than wanting to prove yourself, test your meddle, etc
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why do I get the impression you have done that?  Stories or link to thread please?
View Quote

Nah, dawg.

I was army, I married a chubby woman.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, I forgot. You could've also busted balls for guys not wearing reflective belts on BAF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#24]
You would have served under the most hostile to the military administration in recent history. It would have sucked and sucked hard.

I'm Navy I have 5 1/2 years until I hit 20 and it cannot come fast enough. Knowing what I know now, I would have rolled out seven years ago instead of reenlisting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You would have served under the most hostile to the military administration in recent history. It would have sucked and sucked hard.

I'm Navy I have 5 1/2 years until I hit 20 and it cannot come fast enough. Knowing what I know now, I would have rolled out seven years ago instead of reenlisting.
View Quote

Stay tough, I retired in 2013 and damn the last few years were a struggle. All the hugs for the sad pandas was getting old fast. Retirement is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Stay tough, I retired in 2013 and damn the last few years were a struggle. All the hugs for the sad pandas was getting old fast. Retirement is worth it.
View Quote

I am retiring next June.  I will have 28 years.  I'm too old and broken for this shit anymore.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
2007 Is the year I dropped paperwork for Parris island.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#28]
You can still man up and join 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#29]
In on 1?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In on 1?
View Quote

Day 1
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, if you have no regrets then why did you start a "What If" thread?  Also, nobody will ever be able to answer your question as to how it would have turned out or where you'd have ended up.

USMC '89-'94.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Mrs and I talked to an army recruiter this weekend.  And we're both older than OP.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Mrs and I talked to an army recruiter this weekend.  And we're both older than OP.

View Quote

You should start a thread about it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No way.

Ima wait until I fail the apft
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, grit your teeth and get through it, get that retirement check, it may not be enough to live on but it makes for one hell of a safety net.

I was a Clinton Draw Down Survivor, retired in 2008, got out just as things were getting stupid again (2 OIF deployments made the last few years tolerable), 5 1/2 years is a blink of an eye in the big scheme of things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
MP's are despised in the Marine Corps by other Marines. Every Marine is your brother, except these guys tend to fuck you over. They're like a different tier of buddy fuckers. Not to mention hoorah Lcpl with a badge.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to butcher the fuck out of his nick, but deamon74(sp?) joined at 29 and had some really good in depth posts about it.

Send a pm his way. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I learned I NEVER wanted to be an MP when I drove out the front gate @ LeJuene & saw all the PFC's & L/Cpl's picking up the orange traffic cones five days a week. Something like a 3-4 mile stretch (it seemed at the time) & the cones were spaced about 6 feet apart.

Not to mention standing the back gate at Courthouse Bay during dark, cold rainy nights.

Guard duty was bad enough for me. No way would I want to be a MP unless I could've gone in as an Cpl or higher.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My senior year of HS, I was debating on joining the Marine Corps after graduation, the recruiter there had just about talked me into joining as an MP, but after awhile I decided against it. Actually I didn't, I just never made up my mind to do it...

Anyway, the conversation came up yesterday with a few USMC vets in the family and it had me thinking out of pure curiosity, if I had joined in the summer or early fall of 2006 as an MP, where would I likely have ended up, and what would I have been doing?

Knowing myself well enough, I'm sure so would have asked for some type of deployment if the opportunity arose (assuming that I wasn't already) but I admittedly know squat about MPs and I'm glad that I didn't join as one.

Armor would have been more my speed looking back.
View Quote

It's not too late at 29 years old.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily I'm too much of a pussy for that 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way.

C'mon. This thread has been fun.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1938648_Jesus-what-did-I-just-do---Military-related-.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Wtf did I do?

I talked to a nice Sgt 14 years my junior who tried her best to keep a straight face when a fat old guy said he was thinking about joining the military.

Fin
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#43]
The Corps is not WalMart. You don't get to pick where you end up or for how long unless you sign for it during enlistment and then it still may be changed. I was in the wing and we had guys yanked out of our squadron and sent to the grunts in the middle of their enlistment. Couldn't do shit about it. You would have gone through boot camp, then Pendleton for Infantry training, then MP school probably in TX with the Air Force guys. Then you would have rotated to the shittiest duty most likely until your second set of orders. But none of that matters because...you didn't. I wonder what would have happened if I had become a rock star like I thought about? Oh yeah, I joined the Marine Corps instead
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I thought about joining back in 1980 at the tender age of 20. I didn't do authority well and still don't like people telling me what to do so I made a wise decision not to join.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, assuming you weren't a fuck up, you would probably be a Staff Sergeant. That means, you would be assigning a Sergeant or Corporal to oversee a bunch of non-rates to sweep gravel, paint rocks, and shine brass. Before the unit secures for the day, you would mosey on out and pick that shit apart because that's what you do.
Until then, you would sit in the office and write bad FitReps while chain smoking and drinking coffee by the gallon while brown nosing Top (Master Sergeant).
 Once secured for the day, you would go to the Staff Club and drink till it closed and then go home and look back on the day and wonder how you can improve your "being a dick" skill.

Welcome to The Suck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, assuming you weren't a fuck up, you would probably be a Staff Sergeant. That means, you would be assigning a Sergeant or Corporal to oversee a bunch of non-rates to sweep gravel, paint rocks, and shine brass. Before the unit secures for the day, you would mosey on out and pick that shit apart because that's what you do.
Until then, you would sit in the office and write bad FitReps while chain smoking and drinking coffee by the gallon while brown nosing Top (Master Sergeant).
 Once secured for the day, you would go to the Staff Club and drink till it closed and then go home and look back on the day and wonder how you can improve your "being a dick" skill.

Welcome to The Suck.
View Quote

LOL Yes or it could have gone this way. "The Suck". Haven't heard that one in a while. Well done sir.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Except when your buddies go to PMO the last few months of their enlistment and work the front gate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I was on recruiting duty in 2007 my two cents:

Unless you were going to join the Reserves, you don't pick your job. No matter what your Recruiter says, needs of the Corps come first. Ops Chief will assign a job based on needs after you DEP in.

With that said every kid that wants to be an MP thinks it will help them get a job as a cop after. From there if you really needed the kid to make mission Recrtuiter could call up some of the former Marines he knows in the local PD and show him that MOS really doesn't matter, Vet preference though does.

I know it is not really what you were asking but hearing someone actually wants to be an MP makes me think he really is looking at 500m target and not the 50m target.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not to mention standing the back gate at Courthouse Bay during dark, cold rainy nights.
View Quote

There's a nice, lit, overhead covering there now.  

During nice daytime hours, you can watch all the folks go fishing at the wildlife lookout right before the gate (and wish you were there).
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Look on the bright side. You still have all your limbs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top