Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 2/21/2017 8:25:45 PM EDT
Everyone knows that 95% of suppressors are based on a hundred year old design and the materials are not expensive to acquire or machine. (They could basically weld washers inside a pipe). The profit margin has to be around 2000%, and it really only requires one man to build many designs beginning to end. Add to that the fact that your buyers have to suffer a $200 penalty from the government, and you'd think they would cut us some slack.

Can we expect prices to drop if legalization is going to take another ten years? I can't say I feel sorry for the manufacturers if they go out of business while keeping their prices at levels only rich people can afford. Even top tier manufacturers could produce affordable suppressors for the common man if they cared to do so. In fact, the quickest way to force legalizing suppressors is probably to lower the prices and quadruple sales, thereby overhelming the NFA process and normalizing suppressors in every home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
if you were starving, how easily would you give up your last $5?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Derp at 2000% and they are dropping prices:  https://silencerco.com/rebate-promo/
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
$200 of free gear...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not the price it's the paperwork & the wait.

My first m4-2000 cost me $950. Now you can get them for $550.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
A 2000% Profit Margin?

Jesus Christ, SilencerCo is doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
GD, the website that believes inconel, monel, titanium and 17-4 cost $1 per pound and machining is free.  If you believe you can make an $850 product for $42.50 why on earth would you not immediately sell all your worldly possessions and buy whatever equipment you think you need to do this?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:I can't say I feel sorry for the manufacturers if they go out of business while keeping their prices at levels only rich people can afford.
View Quote

Also, I wasn't aware $400-1000 is only attainable by "rich people". The average American consumer spends more on coffee in a year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 2000% Profit Margin?

View Quote

Obviously not all of them are charging that much, but many charge as much as $1,500 for one unit, and the parts probably cost them $75. If that's so far off then tell us what the real costs are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone knows that 95% of suppressors are based on a hundred year old design and the materials are not expensive to acquire or machine. (They could basically weld washers inside a pipe). The profit margin has to be around 2000%, and it really only requires one man to build many designs beginning to end. Add to that the fact that your buyers have to suffer a $200 penalty from the government, and you'd think they would cut us some slack.

Can we expect prices to drop if legalization is going to take another ten years? I can't say I feel sorry for the manufacturers if they go out of business while keeping their prices at levels only rich people can afford. Even top tier manufacturers could produce affordable suppressors for the common man if they cared to do so. In fact, the quickest way to force legalizing suppressors is probably to lower the prices and quadruple sales, thereby overhelming the NFA process and normalizing suppressors in every home.
View Quote

Quoted because I thought '13er's wrote some dumb shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Derp at 2000% and they are dropping prices:  https://silencerco.com/rebate-promo/
View Quote

That's like 2 muzzle devices worth of "rebate". At least Q is rebating $200 off the price of cans. This is coming from a guy who owns an Omega. I love my suppressor but that rebate is a joke.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Obviously not all of them are charging that much, but many charge as much as $1,500 for one unit, and the parts probably cost them $75. If that's so far off then tell us what the real costs are.
View Quote

I'll give you $75.  You build me a circumferentiallly welded stainless steel and inconel can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll give you $75.  You build me a circumferentiallly welded stainless steel and inconel can.
View Quote

Its a trap, don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
somebody flunked Business 101....
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
GD, the website that believes inconel, monel, titanium and 17-4 cost $1 per pound and machining is free.  If you believe you can make an $850 product for $42.50 why on earth would you not immediately sell all your worldly possessions and buy whatever equipment you think you need to do this?
View Quote

If you're making 2000% at $850 then that material cost $0.425. Assuming you don't pay for labor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also, I wasn't aware $400-1000 is only attainable by "rich people". The average American consumer spends more on coffee in a year.
View Quote

A thousand dollars is more than most of us will ever spend on a new AR-15.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

wtf kind of coffee are you drinkin!?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Why are machine guns so expensive?  Most of them are very old designs and the raw materials don't cost that much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very few cost as much as $1,500. Average price is around $800 or so, maybe a little less depending where you purchase.

As far as cost go, you're pulling that completely out of your ass. You have material costs, tooling costs, the price of the electricity to keep the machines running, the cost to provide a living for a couple hundred people, taxes, your profit... then you have the dealer and distributor which each need to make money so they can keep their businesses running. Simply making up numbers off the top of your head is a terrible way to convey a point.

By the way, it's literally impossible to have a 2000% margin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Better question is why aren't they hammering Congress to pass HPA?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope everyone that is bitching about silencer prices and ATF wait times have contacted their Senators and their Representative to urge them to PASS the HPA!

Edit, tsg beat me by more than a minute.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Having been an 07FFL/02SOT a few years ago... I can say with certainty that there's a TON of markup on cans... and most of the prices you see are flat retail/list prices.

Stocking dealer price (usually around a $10k+ buy-in)
Regular dealer price (one at a time to the FFL)
List price (what the average Joe pays)

It's been a few years since I've bought cans...  but I recall some of the cheaper .22 cans would cost me around $89 if I bought 10+ and they would fly off the shelf at $249 ea.

The other thing to remember... and much of WHY there's little discount in suppressors is...  they require babysitting and alot more paperwork than a regular title 1 sale. Alot more time and paperwork goes on behind the scenes than what the customer will ever see.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
somebody flunked Business 101....
View Quote
Yep.  The cost of manufacturing, R&D, advert, etc don't change if a tax collected and sent to uncle sugar is there or not.  I understand everyone's rationale for holding off but the manufacturers are all FOR THE HPA because it takes their buyer base.  Up until now they marketed their product to us basement dwellers willing to wait 6 mos until we're allowed by WV to exercise our 2A rights...if HPA passes, they just tapped about 40 million gun owners in this country for under the cost of a decent handgun.  

Support them as they are supporting a short term cut in their income for the greater good of our mutual love for all things that go bang and less bang.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much do the machining centers to make the parts cost?  How many employees are needed to mfg, assemble, market, handle legal aspects?  How much does the mfg actually get paid by their distributors for the finished product?

Never mind, you're probably right it's the vast conspiracy of the cabal of silencer manufacturer's, they're all fucking us.  You should buy a grizzly manual lathe, imitation mag lite bodies from alibaba in gross and a pallet of sbc drain plugs and undercut the market, only charge 1000% markup.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok let me help you....

Cost of CNc machines
Cost of itar
Cost of license
Cost of sot
Cost of insurance for company
Cost of taxes for company
Cost of benefits for employees
Cost of SS for employees
Cost of workers comp
Cost of training
Cost of material
Cost of labor
Cost of marketing
Cost of r&d
Cost of percentage on loans

Shits cheap yo, now go start your business for $100 inconel and titanium cans at a major loss or go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you're making 2000% at $850 then that material cost $0.425. Assuming you don't pay for labor.
View Quote

I meant 20x the cost of parts. Labor is profit for the worker, who is the owner in many instances. But to be fair, the small shops aren't the ones charging that much, and the big shops do have more expenses. But you get my point. There is a massive profit margin. And don't act like the gun itself is somehow so much less complex and less difficult to make than a suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Define "us".

Good job just taking the far end of the spectrum on that post. If you want cheap garbage suppressors, they exist.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok let me help you....

Cost of CNc machines
Cost of itar
Cost of license
Cost of sot
Cost of insurance for company
Cost of taxes for company
Cost of benefits for employees
Cost of SS for employees
Cost of workers comp
Cost of training
Cost of material
Cost of labor
Cost of marketing
Cost of r&d
Cost of percentage on loans

Shits cheap yo, now go start your business for $100 inconel and titanium cans at a major loss or go be poor somewhere else.
View Quote

Okay, so you're saying none of that stuff is required to make an AR-15? Because I can buy complete AR-15's all day long for $500 right now. You're telling me a pipe with washers and threeaded endcaps should cost 1.5-2.5x more than a complete AR-15?

I'm pretty sure that making one rifle barrel is more complex and time consuming than making most suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of all the layers of Government bureaucracy.     Also, the market is fairly small, and crowded.

This is not rocket science.  

You will see prices come down, if and when, supply continues to outstrip demand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Iconel is cheap and easy to machine?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 2000% Profit Margin?

Uh, labor, taxes, facilities, machinery, R+D, other equipment, other overhead

Do you have any CNC welding machines?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Math fail
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Okay, so you're saying none of that stuff is required to make an AR-15? Because I can buy complete AR-15's all day long for $500 right now. You're telling me a pipe with washers and threeaded endcaps should cost 1.5-2.5x more than a complete AR-15?

I'm pretty sure that making one rifle barrel is more complex and time consuming than making most suppressors.
View Quote

Someone doesn't understand economies of scale.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
In this thread we get to see a worker's mentality vs. a business owner's mentality.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because of all the layers of Government bureaucracy.     Also, the market is fairly small, and crowded.

This is not rocket science.  

You will see prices come down, if and when, supply continues to outstrip demand.
View Quote

Sort of, the $200 tax and 10 month wait time means I'm willing to spend a lot more and buy a product made from fancy expensive shit, welded together by magical fucking elves and that I have no interest in a mag lite with pot metal baffles.  So if that equation changes my purchasing bias may also, doesn't mean that current silencers are selling for 20x cost, I'd be surprised if most mfg's had more than a 20% margin and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was more like 6-10% after you factor in all their operating costs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree, suppressors are way overpriced. It isn't because of the fancy materials or the quality. It's because the kind of people who can afford to pay a $200 tax right off the top, generally have  enough money to spend on high priced toys. 

2000% is a huge overestimate, but it would not at all surprise me to learn that after manufacturing, materials, advertising, labor, and overhead, manufacturers are charging 3 to 4 times what it costs them per unit to manufacture. 

If a complete AR15 rifle can be purchased for less than $500, there is no reason a far simpler device that has far less machining and other manufacturing processes, and uses a lot less materials, should cost 2 to 3 times as much. Consider what a suppressor is made of, and then consider all of the casting and machining that goes into building a complete firearm. Even monolithic baffle cores that are machined from solid billets are still not going to cost more than a complete rifle to make. 

That said, the prices will remain high because of the nature of the suppressor industry. Until and unless the HPA passes, there will be no incentive to lower prices because there will be no real competition in this market niche. 41p/41f is definitely putting a strain on sales though. I am done with anything NFA unless 41f goes away, or the HPA passes. The only thing that would get me back in with the current rules would be a repeal of Hughes. 

Pass the HPA, and prices will still remain high until everyone that has to have one "right now" has bought one. Then once the run on them is over, prices will slowly start to fall. If HPA passed today, I'd say you could expect some good deals 3 Black Fridays from now. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#38]
nvm
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Those solvent trap "kits" were selling in the $200 price range awhile back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lol. Math fail
View Quote

Damnit.

I'm leaving now. You're welcome OP.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, on ARF? You even look at the photos? This place is the home of amazing hardware.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because assembling something from overrun/second tier parts =/= manufacturing your own product, in house
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Better question is why aren't they hammering Congress to pass HPA?
View Quote

It's possible they realize that the HPA will increase their competition. I get why they initially supported it, but they probably didn't figure on having to compete with the "solvent trap" guys that will spring up all over the place and who won't need to have a manufacturing license. 

I saw a really nicely machined "solvent trap" at a gun show recently. It came with baffles "solvent cups" end caps, and everything. It even included steel drill guides to complete it as a suppressor (after you get a form 1, of course). I wouldn't buy or possess something like that without a form one stamp in hand though. 

The point is, these things are very high quality machining, only cost a fraction of what "real" suppressor companies are charging, and if the HPA passes, can be completed at home with a hand drill in minutes. So maybe manufacturers are unsure if the status quo will be more profitable than competing against DIY parts kits. If you think finishing an 80% AR lower is easy, these things will be a breeze if they are ever made legal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How much do the machining centers to make the parts cost?  How many employees are needed to mfg, assemble, market, handle legal aspects?  How much does the mfg actually get paid by their distributors for the finished product?

Never mind, you're probably right it's the vast conspiracy of the cabal of silencer manufacturer's, they're all fucking us.  You should buy a grizzly manual lathe, imitation mag lite bodies from alibaba in gross and a pallet of sbc drain plugs and undercut the market, only charge 1000% markup.
View Quote

Not any more than it costs to make a complete AR rifle and sell it for $500.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I have run my own business. I have a college degree. I make more than 85% of Americans and I won't spend $1,000 on a suppressor.

I know there are hidden costs  and I know that very few manufacturers are could possibly be making a 20x return on their silencers (but suspect that some do based on their name recognition).. But I do suspect many, I suspect most, charge more than 10x what it costs them to make a suppressor.

As for economies of scale, that's something the manufacturers should have worked out. In fact, charging more per item makes economies of scale more difficult because you don't have the quantitative purchasing power on your parts. So again I say, every serious manufacturer should sell an affordable (non iconel for those of you bitching about iconel) suppressor for around $200, because let's face it--that's a fair price for a quality suppressor that should last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not any more than it costs to make a complete AR rifle and sell it for $500.
View Quote

Please show me a company that manufactures an AR-15 all in house, all being the keyword, and sells it for $500.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#47]
A suppressor has about the same into it as a quality barrel...prices should reflect that in a normal market
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The answer is start hiring immigrant labor or move manufacturing to low cost country......but then all the MAGA folks will get their panties all in the bunch.  Don't demand "Made in USA" and then bitch about the cost of having it so.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#49]
How many AR's were sold last year?  How many companies actually forge their own upper and lower?  How many unique ar parts are there that only fit and work with other proprietary parts?  I don't believe I can startup a company and sell silencers for ridiculous markups, but it appears several people here do, you could all pool your resources and go into business together.  If those of you in this thread truly believe what you claim, why in the blue fuck would you not do this?  If I thought there was a business I could start and sell my products for 2000% of cost, I would try to figure out a way to raise the capital and get started.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Please show me a company that manufactures an AR-15 all in house, all being the keyword, and sells it for $500.
View Quote

I just bought a complete ambi lower for $159, and a complete upper with BCG and keymod rail and lowpro gas block for <$500 total from PSA. Also, I could've bought the basic lower for $129 and a standard (FSP) upper for $199, add a $79 BCG, and you have a complete carbine for about $400--and they are making a profit...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top