Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 2/21/2017 7:53:03 PM EDT
Fox news did a segment on deportations. One aspect that they talked about was criminals and drugs, but they also talked about farmers. They had footage of a farmer in Florida complaining that he used to ship 80 loads of Tomatoes per day and now he is down to shipping 20 loads of tomatoes per day. The farmer (angrily) said 'They ain't takin' no ones jobs because no one will do this job!' The reporter said that the farmer couldn't find people to work for $150/day picking tomatoes like the Mexicans will. 

So, one side of the coin is that we have to enforce our laws and keep the criminals and drugs out of our country. The other side of the coin is that, like it or not, a big portion of our economy is dependent on illegal immigrants. 

If the farmer can't find anyone to pick the tomatoes, then his vegetables are going to rot on the vine causing food shortages and higher prices. 

If the farmer has to start offering better wages and benefits to get people to pick the tomatoes, then (assuming that people will still take those jobs) we're going to see substantially higher food prices. 

Some farmers may be forced out of business either way, because foreign farms can produce and import food cheaper than American farmers can. 

You can probably apply this to a lot of different areas of our economy. Here in Texas (and probably through out the south and south west) construction and housing relies heavily on illegal immigrants for labor. Smaller labor pool could lead to housing shortages causing prices to rise, maintenance costs to rise, etc. 

Are there going to be negative unintended consequences of the Trump deportation plan? 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy - you want foodstamps / welfare - you are not disabled - we have a brilliant job for you - go pick tomatoes .....
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
End welfare. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Or they, the pickers, could apply for a green card to come here and pick stuff.
You know, legally.

I know its a big leap but I happen to think its worth a shot.

ETA: Dang I wasted 11700 on that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy - you want foodstamps / welfare - you are not disabled - we have a brilliant job for you - go pick tomatoes .....
View Quote

Easy eh?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone brought this up yesternday.

I was told lazy Americans don't want to do the work, even at 30/hr. If that IS the case then this country is fucked.

Picking tuhmaters and arnges for 60k a year and people don't want to do it cause they're lazy POSs, ya we're fucked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There's 95 million people getting welfare of some form, can't be that hard to tie welfare to low income jobs...If people still refuse to do them, cancel welfare...same goes for phones, healthcare, school lunches, and housing...
 Heck can even make it part of gov backed college loans..must work an approved job to get and keep the loans...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

NI
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know, legally.

View Quote

Meh, we have our own handicapped, felon, and unskilled labor sources here....IN HOUSE.

When EVERYBODY here has the job they want, and the education they seek....THEN, AND ONLY THEN, should we be worried about those who want to share in our (forefather's) glory!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Make them earn their welfare.

I'll gladly pay more for veggies plus have my own garden to grow said veggies.  Won't change my life in any meaningful way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the farmer has to start offering better wages and benefits to get people to pick the tomatoes, then (assuming that people will still take those jobs) we're going to see substantially higher food prices. 

View Quote

So instead of making a $500k a year profit with illegal labor, the farmers will have to pay normal wages, medical and insurance like every other business.  That's terrible

On the good side, they won't have to pad the politician's wallets every year to keep their illegal labor protected.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's 95 million people getting welfare of some form, can't be that hard to tie welfare to low income jobs...If people still refuse to do them, cancel welfare...same goes for phones, healthcare, school lunches, and housing...
 Heck can even make it part of gov backed college loans..must work an approved job to get and keep the loans...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was told lazy Americans don't want to do the work, even at 30/hr. If that IS the case then this country is fucked.

Picking tuhmaters and arnges for 60k a year and people don't want to do it cause they're lazy POSs, ya we're fucked.
View Quote
A single mother of two maxes out right around $60k in benefits if she games the system right. Without doing a lick of work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
What they SHOULD do is deport all the lazy fucking welfare leaches instead of the Mexicans that actually WANT to work for a living.

That would kill two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheap illegal labor drove down wages. Gonna take time for the market to correct. Oh well.

Look at it this way: How much luck would I have, trying to hire people to clean public shitters for $5 an hour? But what if it paid $50 an hour? Or $500?

People will do anything, you pay 'em enough.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fox news did a segment on deportations. One aspect that they talked about was criminals and drugs, but they also talked about farmers. They had footage of a farmer in Florida complaining that he used to ship 80 loads of Tomatoes per day and now he is down to shipping 20 loads of tomatoes per day. The farmer (angrily) said 'They ain't takin' no ones jobs because no one will do this job!' The reporter said that the farmer couldn't find people to work for $150/day picking tomatoes like the Mexicans will. 

So, one side of the coin is that we have to enforce our laws and keep the criminals and drugs out of our country. The other side of the coin is that, like it or not, a big portion of our economy is dependent on illegal immigrants. 

If the farmer can't find anyone to pick the tomatoes, then his vegetables are going to rot on the vine causing food shortages and higher prices. 

Some farmers may be forced out of business either way, because foreign farms can produce and import food cheaper than American farmers can. 

You can probably apply this to a lot of different areas of our economy. Here in Texas (and probably through out the south and south west) construction and housing relies heavily on illegal immigrants for labor. Smaller labor pool could lead to housing shortages causing prices to rise, maintenance costs to rise, etc. 

Are there going to be negative unintended consequences of the Trump deportation plan? 
View Quote

Expand the H2B visa program and use it as a model for other industries. In commercial landscaping the companies who aren't hiring illegals use this program. I have used it for years, it allows you to scale your work force and get work done. In the 11 years that I used the program I hired 3 Americans during the process where we had to advertise extensively and according to the federal regs (pay was between $11-$13/hr). He's right about no one willing to do the work. He could double the pay and he still wouldn't be able to get enough employees and you would be paying 3x the amount for your tomatoes.

H-2B visa wikipedia
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#17]
A better guest worker program would solve that. Secure the border, end the major anchor baby right, issue more guest worker visas for manual labor and collect taxes on them to pay for the wall.

Edit. Or trade Mexico for every working Mexican we give them one lazy American on welfare.

Edit again. Saw spellcheck didn't have my back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A single mother of two maxes out right around $60k in benefits if she games the system right. Without doing a lick of work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Until you can eliminate subsidies for doing nothing, this labor shortage will continue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It was only a few generations ago that my ancestors were migrant farm workers that finally settled in NW Iowa to work at the packing plants, stock yards, grain elevators, and places like that.  White folk that legally came from Europe used to do those jobs just fine until the illegal Mexicans came and took them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
$150 a day??  That's 18.75/hr......I'm pretty sure you could find american's to work for that wage....That's nearly $40k a year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50575/r-151398.JPG

My meaning is simply that working low paying jobs most still can't afford to live, or may not be healthy enough to work full time, so on a case by case basis, they get welfare and a low paying job, all documented and benifits regulated to keep them at a certain level, so by the time they reach that level, they are self sufficient  and not using any welfare..in the mean time, they have the help they need while still making enough money to better themselves..
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed
The only reason there are "jobs Americans won't do" is because of the welfare system for able bodied people
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#23]
We pay people not to work and we pay farmers not to grow food. Perhaps distorting the economy that way was not a great system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Where the hell did I put my teenie weenie micro violin for the special song for special feelz?

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know, legally.

View Quote

You would think people could see that and problem solved, maybe the farmer is too lazy himself to file the proper paperwork, too bad for him than.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
The farmer can't find anyone to do the work at slave wages. If his business relies on illegals then he shouldn't be in business. As long as people like that operate then the farmers that keep a legit operation won't be able to compete.

For the record, where my dad lives up in Idaho there are plenty of farms that manage to survive using local labor. The few Mexicans I met up there were legitimate immigrants and hated illegals.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Expand the H2B visa program and use it as a model for other industries. In commercial landscaping the companies who aren't hiring illegals use this program. I have used it for years, it allows you to scale your work force and get work done. In the 11 years that I used the program I hired 3 Americans during the process where we had to advertise extensively and according to the federal regs. He's right about no one willing to do the work. He could double the pay and he still wouldn't be able to get enough employees and you would be paying 3x the amount for your tomatoes.

H-2B visa wikipedia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expand the H2B visa program and use it as a model for other industries. In commercial landscaping the companies who aren't hiring illegals use this program. I have used it for years, it allows you to scale your work force and get work done. In the 11 years that I used the program I hired 3 Americans during the process where we had to advertise extensively and according to the federal regs. He's right about no one willing to do the work. He could double the pay and he still wouldn't be able to get enough employees and you would be paying 3x the amount for your tomatoes.

H-2B visa wikipedia

According to the link, that program specifically excludes agricultural labor. 

I think that we will need a guest worker program included with the deportations and The Wall. It's obvious that low cost labor from south of the border is something that we're going to have to have access to because too much of the economy is too dependent on illegal alien labor and Americans are too lazy to do the job. 

Eliminating welfare is never going to happen. There is no way that the Democrats in Congress are going to go along with it since doing so would eliminate their constituency. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Just raise the price of tomatoes. Who gives a F&*K..
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$150 a day??  That's 18.75/hr......I'm pretty sure you could find American's to work for that wage....That's nearly $40k a year.
View Quote

that is assuming a 8 hour day.   i would be willing to bet they are at a minimum 12 hr days if not longer and probably 7 days a week with no overtime making that 150 not so attractive
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#30]
AKSnowRider wrote:

View Quote

Sounds a lot like Mao's Great Leap Forward, when students were sent into the fields to pick crops, in exchange for remaining in school. The students didn't make very good crop pickers. It was all a wasted effort.

This is all vaguely communistic. Or actually, fascistic, if the farms remain private businesses rather than being collectivized. Slave labor assigned to private businesses by government? Where have we seen this before?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#31]
That is the price of doing business. They will probably have to adjust their pay as well aa adjust their price of tomatoes.

Maybe this country can save some of the 4.1 billion dollars illegals cost this country yearly.

Is the rest of the country supposed to bear the burden of the cost of illegals so that some farmers can make more money or someone can have a cheap maid...like the gubenator?

If some of those illegals become legals are they gonna want to pick tomatoes?

If they become legals will they still get free health care?

Good questions, but we have to consider the bigger picture, not just a few farmers and lawn maintenance businesses.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are a lot of criminal fucks taking advantage of all this tax free shit and still working under the table making more cash than the average taxpayer.  
It isn't about compassion and feelz, it is about weeding out these criminal fucks and shutting them down.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#33]
He's in business because he hires people who break the law.  That's like complaining that you can't find enough car thieves to supply your auto parts store with stolen parts.

His business model does not work.  He made it work with illegal workers.  He should be out of business.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think that we will need a guest worker program included with the deportations and The Wall. It's obvious that low cost labor from south of the border is something that we're going to have to have access to because too much of the economy is too dependent on illegal alien labor and Americans are too lazy to do the job. 

Eliminating welfare is never going to happen. There is no way that the Democrats in Congress are going to go along with it since doing so would eliminate their constituency. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H-2B visa wikipedia

All of that in red is bullshit. Absolute bullshit. It's a leftist/open-borders lie and always has been.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Owners of cheap rental properties are going to hurt for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Pay 3X more for tomatoes, lettuce, grapes, etc and increase my food budget by about $300 per year? It's well worth it to not have to worry about some drunk assed illegal killing me or my family with their rattle trap van. Not having these leeches using the emergency room for a free clinic and not having the schools filled with their disease ridden brats. Well worth it.

GTFO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

that is assuming a 8 hour day.   i would be willing to bet they are at a minimum 12 hr days if not longer and probably 7 days a week with no overtime making that 150 not so attractive
View Quote

I doubt he willing to pay the 1.5x overtime pay or the 2x ot pay for 12+ hour day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
$150 a day??  That's 18.75/hr......I'm pretty sure you could find american's to work for that wage....That's nearly $40k a year.
View Quote

I highly doubt that the illegals are working 8 hour days with lunch and coffee breaks. I am sure that these pickers are working at least 10 hours per day, and they are doing this out in the fields with the sun, mud, bugs and rain. They showed footage of the pickers at work and it was fast moving work with heavy lifting involved. They also aren't getting benefits or paid holidays. 

I highly doubt that your average ghetto goblin or welfare queen is even in good enough physical condition to do the work. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd have to give them bennies and have comp insurance, OSHA compliance etc. Figure $30ish an hour outlay to get Americans to do it for $18.75 an hour.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
End welfare. Problem solved.
View Quote

Welfare programs keep prices high. End welfare, problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely.  Most people lack any economic education to realize they are just cutting off their nose to spite their face when it comes to illegals.  And the blue collar working class will the ones being on the loosing end the most by the increase in cost of living.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He's in business because he hires people who break the law.  That's like complaining that you can't find enough car thieves to supply your auto parts store with stolen parts.

His business model does not work.  He made it work with illegal workers.  He should be out of business.
View Quote

He should be heavily fined and imprisoned.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't care about some farmer who has been breaking the law for 40 years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
AKSnowRider wrote:

Sounds a lot like Mao's Great Leap Forward, when students were sent into the fields to pick crops, in exchange for remaining in school. The students didn't make very good crop pickers. It was all a wasted effort.

This is all vaguely communistic. Or actually, fascistic, if the farms remain private businesses rather than being collectivized. Slave labor assigned to private businesses by government? Where have we seen this before?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
AKSnowRider wrote:

Bull shit, they are perfectly welcome to go take non Goverment backed loans...maybe their parents can go consign and back the loans for them, or they can do like my kids did, one became a Marine and fulfilled his contract, and the other took a job that pays for her schooling upon completion with passing grades each semester... Lots of ways to pay for college without using .gov backed loans....
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
get rid of illegals dragging the system down and I am more than willing to pay 100% more for food.  offer people $300 per day as an independent contractor to pick tomatoes I'm sure they will have plenty employees
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  Most people lack any economic education to realize they are just cutting off their nose to spite their face when it comes to illegals.  And the blue collar working class will the ones being on the loosing end the most by the increase in cost of living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is only because my taxes are being used to pay half of the country to sit on thier asses and wait for their free money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hate to say it, but welfare parents demand that they get time off to have breakfast at the school with the kids, instead of starting work with everyone else,
or they wont take the job that pays $120 bucks a day if they work.

I have been told that I need to "Pay more" or provide transportation to get people from the nearby city out to the field.
Yet already pay more than any factory in town.

Yep!
We are fucked. Citiots vote for this shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't care about some farmer who has been breaking the law for 40 years.
View Quote

And there it is!
The underlying truth is these farmers have been reaping the windfall of illegal labor for decades, as well as being the driving force behind so much illegal entry.

Our agricultural industry has been the factor that has created this caste system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#49]
First 3 posts get it. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All of that in red is bullshit. Absolute bullshit. It's a leftist/open-borders lie and always has been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H-2B visa wikipedia

No, you're wrong. If you start telling the farmer that he has to raise wages and offer benefits to hire Americans (assuming that Americans are willing to take the jobs) then you're going to increase his costs and he's going to increase your prices. So you're going to start buying cheaper Mexican tomatoes and put him out of business. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top