Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2017 9:17:58 PM EDT
Watching my neighbors dogs while she is in Denver.

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen. Gretchin is a absolute sweetie and if she has a single fault its she doesn't know her own strength sometimes.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
My Catahoula bulldog has probably 25 to 50% pitbull in him.

He gets along with the cat, and it's just me and my girlfriend, so there's no small kids around.

He seems like a good dog, but then again I'm a very large bastard and maybe that's because of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yay...Pitbull thread ..again
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
She is just waiting for the right moment

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Let your infant child pull her tail, and report back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She is just waiting for the right moment

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a little blue guy we adopted, said I would never have one and then I met this guy.  By far the sweetest animal I have ever known.  Maybe too sweet, all the other dogs beat on him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen. Gretchin is a absolute sweetie and if she has a single fault its she doesn't know her own strength sometimes.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831158_1301956919882786_3949965333711013758_n.jpg?oh=16d4bd2e3b894edccfa7cb6343bab0c8&oe=59481DDD
View Quote

There is the underlying problem.

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother's pit Owen is a big goofball.  He lets my brother stand on his ears and pile clothing on his head.  My FFL has a pit named Pearl that likes headlocks and noogies.
Haven't met a bad one of the breed yet, and that includes the one that wanted to play so hard he thought my arm was a chew toy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap
View Quote

Sweetest most lovable dog I ever met was a friend's pit bull.  At 3 years old he killed the family cat, in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. Had never killed before, or since.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Whelp.  It is settled. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
That's what they say.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think if you're a big guy, very strong, and familiar with training dogs pit bulls are essentially harmless.

I'm pretty used to seeing the signs of oncoming aggression in dogs and know how to curb it.

I would never let one around my children though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Its all about how you raise them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid, guy in town had a pet bear that was super sweet.  He would lick sugar cubes out of my hand.

I now declare all bears to be of no danger! 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
My dog attacked a pit bull today, well played with a pit bull and the lady freaked out, yelled at me, pulled her dog away and left the dog park. It wasnt even like OMG rough play, just standard stuff.

Snowflake pit bulls and owners DO exist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No breed of dog just snaps. Look at all these stories of pity's attacking people almost all the dogs bit before. I guess there's probably a few cases of dogs snapping but 99% of dog bites the dog showed aggression before. The owners were either to ignorant to see it or didn't care. I've have owned bully's my whole life that have always been around kids of all ages and not one has bitten. But you're correct that if they attack they'll do more damage than any other dog breed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, guy in town had a pet bear that was super sweet.  He would lick sugar cubes out of my hand.

View Quote

not many of them in the US, Pottstown?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's what they say.
View Quote

^Insert the Morgan Freeman "He's right ya know" meme
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew a guy who had an extremely illegal tiger as a pet for years. TIGERS FOR EVERYONE!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was in the early 80's.  Local veterinarian was allowed to keep it as a cub after some kind of police raid, IIRC.  It got big, and he would walk it or drive it around in the back of his pickup. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I've played with many pitbulls, no issues.

Then again, I don't pull their tongues, poke them in the eye, yank on their tails, etc.

I did get a bloody lip once when one of the meatheads was happy to see me and came barreling in for belly scratches at mach 5!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831158_1301956919882786_3949965333711013758_n.jpg?oh=16d4bd2e3b894edccfa7cb6343bab0c8&oe=59481DDD
View Quote

ANY dog can be a mindless killer. Some have the ability to back it up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I knew a guy who had an extremely illegal tiger as a pet for years. TIGERS FOR EVERYONE!
View Quote
Cue the Archer gif 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
An exception does not disprove a rule.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Hero House Cat Saves Boy From Dog Attack - Today Show - May 15 2014
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure it wasn't just a little illegal? Or even Medium illegal?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That aint shit.  I once had a great white shark as a pet.  It was the sweetest pet I ever had.  Even let me ride him sometimes!  I heard some ignorant assholes on the internet say something once that sharks are dangerous.  They don't know what they're talking about.  Ol' Toothy was the sweetest pet I've ever had.  May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Its all about how you raise them.
View Quote

I used to do yard work for an old couple that raised Rottweilers. I showed up for the first day and I was sure this thing was going to come through the sliding glass door and kill me. The owner (very cool guy with the most extensive M1 Carbine collection I've ever seen) came out a different door and walked up, shook my hand, then opened the glass door.

Turned out that once he saw his owner was friendly towards me his switch flipped and he just wanted me to scratch him til my arms fell off.

He was a little suspicious the first time I showed up while the owners were away. I had him go through his retinue of tricks and gave him a treat, then all was well.

Wonderful dog, but I'd hate to have met him when his owners weren't around. I bet there are many pits that are the same way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Yay, another one of these threads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Let your infant child pull her tail, and report back.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My dog attacked a pit bull today, well played with a pit bull and the lady freaked out, yelled at me, pulled her dog away and left the dog park. It wasnt even like OMG rough play, just standard stuff.

Snowflake pit bulls and owners DO exist.
View Quote

Overprotective dog owners at the dog park annoy the shit out of me.

They're dogs, they're going to make noise. If it gets out of hand then sure break them up but the amount of times it's gotten to that point is small in comparison to how many times I've  seen middle aged, overweight housewives in yoga pants go shuffle-running across the AstroTurf to grab their whateverdoodle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, that settles it then. Your 1 temporary experience is the best all and end all of the subject. The science is settled and 98% of pit bull owners agree!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]
If we are to believe statistics you are in much more danger with a pitbull than any other single breed. My personal observations of local dog attacks in the news would seem to support this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Blind to the ways of the world some are. ~Yoda
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think if you're a big guy, very strong, and familiar with training dogs pit bulls are essentially harmless.

I'm pretty used to seeing the signs of oncoming aggression in dogs and know how to curb it.

View Quote

That's certainly a glowing endorsement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
My pit mix is the best dog I've ever had.
Has been attacked and not fought back, just loved up on me and the wife.

Not a violent bone in his body. He's actually a big pussy
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend of mine has a sweetheart pitbull as well. He came charging at me at full speed the first time I met him and commenced licking me to death upon arrival. When I sit down, he will come over, sit next to me and lean against my leg.

None of that means anything about any other dog, pitbull or not.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Dog of peace vs. dog of pieces
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol @ Pottsvegas reference.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That aint shit.  I once had a great white shark as a pet.  It was the sweetest pet I ever had.  Even let me ride him sometimes!  I heard some ignorant assholes on the internet say something once that sharks are dangerous.  They don't know what they're talking about.  Ol' Toothy was the sweetest pet I've ever had.  May he rest in peace.
View Quote

Sounds a lot like my pet King Cobra. You always see the media pushing these fake news stories about how venomous reptiles don't make good pets, but Toxin never even nipped anyone that didn't have it coming. I still miss that lovable goof.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Gaboon Viper.  It's so sweet I just don't know why people give them the bad rep!  Mine hasn't bitten and killed anyone so it MUST be the owners!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a Gaboon Viper.  It's so sweet I just don't know why people give them the bad rep!  Mine hasn't bitten and killed anyone so it MUST be the owners!
View Quote

How his tricks coming along?

Can he sit down, shake hands or play dead? What does he do when you guys go for a ride in the car?

Does he love you more than anything else in the world? Will he get so excited just to see you after coming home that his tail will uncontrollably whip around so hard that it will crash into chairs and table legs and cause himself to bleed? Will he crouch up on you at night when you forget to put on the heater and keep you warm?

Ok I'm done. I'm just away from home and miss my dog I guess.
Can you tell?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, that settles it then. Your 1 temporary experience is the best all and end all of the subject. The science is settled and 98% of responsible pit bull owners agree!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#45]
My friends roommate had a rescue Pit that was a sweet dog for a while. Then one night my friend was sitting on his couch watching tv when the rescue pit and his lab were playing on the floor. He stood up to get a drink and the pit attacked him and sent him to the ER with multiple bites.  Same dog later on almost killed 2 other dogs at a rescue. 

I don't trust Pit's. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#46]
There are a lot of peaceful muslims.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#47]
My neighbor's pitbull is a sweetheart if you're cuddling her, but if you happen to be on the other side of the fence (which is my property, by the way) she's jumping and snapping at me.  I set my hand over to try and pet her the other day and she damned near bit my fingers off.  So I've resorted to spraying her bitch-ass with the hose when she does her typical incessant pitbull barking any time I go outside.

Any time we're at the dog park, it's a pitbull that's causing problems. Their white apologist owner comes up as I've got it in a headlock yelling, "It's OK! He's not being mean!"

I've seen the studies that show that German Shepherds are more likely to bite you than pit bulls, but I've yet to reconcile any real experience with the findings that abdicate pitbulls from their stereotypical standing.

ETA: my buddy across the street as a GSD and gets along with my two dogs, a Golden and Weim mix, just fine.  Neighbor's pitbull is all tail wags as she pins my Golden to the ground by her neck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure if you were locked in a room with nothing to use as a weapon and that dog decided it was a good time to fuck you up, there wouldn't be much you could do about it.  You think your big and strong until that fucker latches on to an arm or leg, and the only thing you can do is squirt a little piss down your leg.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Since we're doing this again, it's a shit breed typically owned by trash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for sticking up for a good dog, OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top