Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2017 1:42:34 PM EDT
Let's suppose that becoming a legal citizen was as easy as a $5 filing fee and a passport photo, and the entire process took 2 weeks from start to finish. We will also suppose that there is no welfare in this situation.

I hear how great legal immigrants are, but would people still hold this sentiment if virtually anybody could immigrate here legally quickly and easily?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let's suppose that becoming a legal citizen was as easy as a $5 filing fee and a passport photo, and the entire process took 2 weeks from start to finish. We will also suppose that there is no welfare in this situation.

I hear how great legal immigrants are, but would people still hold this sentiment if virtually anybody could immigrate here legally quickly and easily?
View Quote

Only if in those two weeks they could somehow be properly vetted. Then yes...but since that is impossible no...

Legal immigration should be fairly easy as long as there is a decent vetting process...

And I am a first generation American
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
We already have legal immigration and it can't be to hard because at least 1,000,000 people LEGALLY immigrate here each year so I'm not sure what your point is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I don't understand the question.

When was legal immigration a problem?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The left doesn't want productive, responsible people immigrating.

In any case, you can't simply tell the whole world they can come here.   The rate needs to be planned for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It should not be about how easy or hard it is. It should be about the quality of the people we take in.
High skill and or education level is GTG.
Hammer swingers and fruit pickers stay out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In any case, you can't simply tell the whole world they can come here.  The rate needs to be planned for a number of reasons.
View Quote

Why not? Why can't we have "open borders" again, assuming that other people don't have to pay to subsidize these people.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In any case, you can't simply tell the whole world they can come here.   The rate needs to be planned for a number of reasons.
View Quote

correct since the 1960 our immigration policies have highly favored poor unskilled labor.

Our immigration requirements should be. Fluent English, literate, disease free. 0 TB 0 Aids etc, O benefits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only if in those two weeks they could somehow be properly vetted. Then yes...but since that is impossible no...

Legal immigration should be fairly easy as long as there is a decent vetting process...

And I am a first generation American
View Quote

Pretty much this.

It's not that they are illegal, it's that they come here and leech off the system and don't follow rules. They put little to nothing in and take 87x what they do.

Look at other countries immigration policies, it's not like it's exactly difficult to become a citizen....
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It should not be about how easy or hard it is. It should be about the quality of the people we take in.
View Quote

Why? What about an unskilled 18 year old with a 160 IQ? What about a low IQ "hammer swinger" that is willing to work 12 hour workdays in construction for $7.00/hour? What is inherently wrong with more cheap labor?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The world needs hammer swingers and fruit pickers and other low skill jobs.   Imagine a society of only doctors and lawyers and no-one around to fix a toilet.  The world would literally overflow with their crap
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe I don't understand the question.

When was legal immigration a problem?
View Quote

It is a problem when you consider most of them will vote for democrats which in time only undermines the US of A and its constitution.
We are importing our own demise and people think it is a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
no nation can survive uncontrolled immigration 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, but I don't want 90% of immigrants all from similar location. I think every country or region should get an equal number. I want just as many asians coming in as latinos and africans.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is inherently wrong with more cheap labor?
View Quote

You're either trolling or <Edited -40xb>
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

NO. The process should take a little longer for background checks, fingerprint processing, etc. Then you still have to pass the tests and have either sponsorship or a skill we need.

When we have millions out of work, why are we bringing more people in?

I'd like to see the immigration rates tied to the labor participation rates. The closer we are to 100% of everyone who should be working actually working, the more people we can let in.

Exceptions: Spouses of working people, children of working people, people with extremely valuable skill sets. We should be bringing in educated people that can contribute in some way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're either trolling or you are stupid.
View Quote

#notanargument
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

#notanargument
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#notanargument

It's a sufficient answer for such an idiotic question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
No.

We support legal immigration because the standards are much higher, as they should be.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People draw attention to join date and post count for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So basically:

You: You're stupid.
Me: How so?
You: You just are.

<Edited -40xb>
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

People draw attention to join date and post count for a reason.
View Quote

Mmmmmkeh, I will put you down as "I don't have any cogent point to make".
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I am sad to see more and more often, we are getting threads from those with Left Coast ideas and thoughts, and no I am not saying everybody on the left coast has been brain washed, but more and more often the conversation is going to a left leaning mentality.

I was born and raised in WA, lived in OR quite a bit and am so glad, I got the hell out when I did.

Come to our country legally, do what needs to be done to become a resident based on our laws, not our generosity and good will, become part of this country, don't loose your love for your country, but remember you made a choice to come here, now embrace and integrate in your new chosen home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Why make it easy?

I don't want slackers to come here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.

We support legal immigration because the standards are much higher, as they should be.
View Quote

Very unintelligent people can become legal here, it's just a long and expensive process.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why not? Why can't we have "open borders" again, assuming that other people don't have to pay to subsidize these people.
View Quote

Because open borders lowers our standard of living.

In order for the US to have a high standard of living, our money needs to stay here, and it needs to be spread over a smaller population. 

If we share with the world, it only benefits the rest of the world. 

I am totally OK with keeping poor countries poor in order to maintain our standard of living. And I am not willing to lower our standard of living in order to raise anyone else's.

It is the same story repeated throughout history. Wealth and resources are finite. Let's be the winners and keep it for ourselves. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd support an easier system that allows people who want to work in the states to come here and do so provided they were vetted, paid taxes, and the system was structured in such a way that it did not encourage them to bring their entire fucking family here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're either trolling or<Edited -40xb>.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're either trolling or<Edited -40xb>.
Both
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So basically:

<Edited -40xb>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So basically:

<Edited -40xb>
I know what you're trying to do with this thread... it's right there in your fucking thread title.  Why do you imply that we don't support legal immigration?

Please enlighten us: how does an overabundance of non-skilled laborers who will work for any wage benefit the country?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my best friends was born in South Africa and his entire immediate family has come to the USA through legal channels.  He's a incredibly smart guy has been VERY successful since coming here.  I've always told him that people would be better off with friends like him because he is quite generous and humble.

I am quite blessed to know him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Very unintelligent people can become legal here, it's just a long and expensive process.
View Quote

As it should be,  as it is in most other countries in the world.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
No, $5?

Cost $24 just to be a member here.  The above needs more zeroes..like 5 more.  This is how Australia and NZ do it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Since '65, our immigration policy has been focused in the wrong areas, and we've suffered for it, IMO. It seems as if we are set on taking in the very people least likely to succeed, here in America.

Until we rethink, revamp, and revise our entire immigration policy, I think it would be best if immigration were halted completely, for the time being. The bulk of the immigrants we're taking in these days, we really don't need.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Full time troll
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

When did we have , "Open Borders" ?
Perhaps a trip to Ellis Island is in order for you.

Why should I support an Illegal that comes here to work a year to seven then they return to their country and open a business.

A business that will now sell to the United States and only hire people from their country at a wage that is a ninth of what an american
would earn if that company was in the United States in the first place. Why should I support these Illegals from taking our money out of the United States.

Let me guess, you drive a foreign made car, and ninety percent of what you own was made outside the US.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

So why make it easier and cheaper for very unintelligent people? What benefit could that possibly be?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, this is where I'm at.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know what you're trying to do with this thread... it's right there in your fucking thread title.  Why do you imply that we don't support legal immigration?

Please enlighten us: how does an overabundance of non-skilled laborers who will work for any wage benefit the country?
View Quote

An overabundance? In a free market an "overabundance" of labor would lead to cheaper labor. I like cheap labor. Now, if I was only versed in the kind of labor of which there was an overabundance, then my standard of living might drop as a result of increased competition, but so what? I would do well to innovate or to become proficient in something more valuable.

I would rather pay a plumber $7/hour than $70/hour. I am guessing that you like the prices you pay for services to be as low as possible, no?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't care how many people come here or how "easy" it is as long as they are properly vetted and have something to contribute.  There also needs to be an instant "return to sender" clause when an immigrant commits a felony.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So why make it easier and cheaper for very unintelligent people? What benefit could that possibly be?
View Quote

It might not have a benefit. Odds are they are intelligent enough to provide some labor (roofing, demolition, sheetrock, housekeeping). Without the welfare state they would have to trade that labor or starve.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm getting burned out on the whole immigration deal. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It is a problem when you consider most of them will vote for democrats which in time only undermines the US of A and its constitution.
We are importing our own demise and people think it is a good thing.
View Quote

People have different views of the world, they come from all over the world to this nation to enjoy our way of life.
That is our way.

We have to remember that at some point we can all trace our history back to a boat to get here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An overabundance? In a free market an "overabundance" of labor would lead to cheaper labor. I like cheap labor. Now, if I was only versed in the kind of labor of which there was an overabundance, then my standard of living might drop as a result of increased competition, but so what? I would do well to innovate or to become proficient in something more valuable.

I would rather pay a plumber $7/hour than $70/hour. I am guessing that you like the prices you pay for services to be as low as possible, no?
View Quote

That $7 plumber isn't such a good deal when his wife and 7 kids all receive subsidies funded by your income tax. And neither is the $7 roofer's family you are subsidizing even though you don't need roof repairs for the next 15 years. You are paying more in taxes to subsidize these families than you will ever reap in savings on labor.

I'd rather pay the one time $70 plumber fee and have every penny of my taxes that goes to helping illegal aliens refunded. I would come out thousands ahead.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#44]
If we ended the drug war AND got rid of BS nanny state handouts,.. immigration would drop drastically and 99.999% of those still wanting to come here would be the ones we want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Legal residents are not the same thing as Citizens.  I think it should be fairly easy to get a work or student visa, a little more difficult to become a permanent resident, and remain quite difficult to gain citizenship.

Many illegal immigrants want to come here for work in order to send money home to support their families.  Why not allow that in a vetted and structured manner, and be able to tax their incomes?

On the other hand, citizenship is a privilege and a major responsibility.  I only want immigrants that are knowledgeable of our history and government, and are committed to our way of life, to gain citizenship.  Its bad enough we have natural citizens that are ignorant and hate our country, no sense in letting shitty immigrants join their ranks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right... "become proficient in something more valuable"... until there's nothing left.  How does a non-skilled laborer "become proficient in something more valuable"?  They're non-skilled for any number of reasons.  Do you think all those folks are working low-paying jobs because they want to?

There's a good reason most countries make it difficult to immigrate unless you have legitimate skills to offer.

See, that's the problem with you Leftists, you have no long-term vision.  You're all about the here and now with no regard for consequences.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It might not have a benefit. Odds are they are intelligent enough to provide some labor (roofing, demolition, sheetrock, housekeeping). Without the welfare state they would have to trade that labor or starve.
View Quote

I have worked in construction before as a kid. I've done drywall, framing , decks, trim, etc. I was glad the work was available to me. I don't want the next generation of real Americans to lose that opportunity to illegal aliens.

Why should we import people who will have to work menial jobs or starve? We already have plenty of citizens on welfare. No need to bring in more.

The real reason you want them is they vote overwhelmingly democrat. If illegals voted Republican, you'd be down there with a bucket of mortar and a trowel building the wall yourself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That $7 plumber isn't such a good deal when his wife and 7 kids all receive subsidies funded by your income tax. And neither is the $7 roofer's family you are subsidizing even though you don't need roof repairs for the next 15 years. You are paying more in taxes to subsidize these families than you will ever reap in savings on labor.

I'd rather pay the one time $70 plumber fee and have every penny of my taxes that goes to helping illegal aliens refunded. I would come out thousands ahead.
View Quote

Right, I already stipulated that I am talking about the effects of immigration absent welfare; reference the OP.

People that I am forced to feed are bad, no doubt. I am talking about an influx of people that I don't have to feed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have worked in construction before as a kid. I've done drywall, framing , decks, trim, etc. I was glad the work was available to me. I don't want the next generation of real Americans to lose that opportunity to illegal aliens.

Why should we import people who will have to work menial jobs or starve? We already have plenty of citizens on welfare. No need to bring in more.

The real reason you want them is they vote overwhelmingly democrat. If illegals voted Republican, you'd be down there with a bucket of mortar and a trowel building the wall yourself.
View Quote

They won't "lose that opportunity to illegal aliens". The opportunities are still present. Either the young people are able to compete in that labor market, or not. If they don't want to do construction for what immigrants might charge, they would be well-served by doing something more lucrative. If they are too stupid to understand that, then that's on them.

I already stipulated that we are talking about immigration absent welfare.

I don't want a government PERIOD. So, the "you want to to vote democrat" is unfounded BS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#50]
NO, Hell No.

Most of the time in life, something that is easy to get is not appreciated for very long.

It is not easy to become a Doctor. Maybe we should just hand those out too?

The people who came in during the 1800s had a process and even later on there was a process. The people who came then assimilated to our country and cultures for the most part. They truly became Americans...not just in name.  They learned our history and language so they knew why we were free and how we were free.

What the hell good does it do our society to just make anybody a citizen? This is supposed to be a two way street. We get a good tax paying citizen who is willing to fight for our freedoms and they get to be part of our greatness as a country and share our freedoms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top