Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/19/2017 9:19:52 AM EDT
I'll post more details later. Basically two guys broke in, didn't steal anything. I think they saw the master bedroom light come on and ran. They went through my (mostly empty) guest bedroom. Nothing stolen. Police cleared the house nicely.

Any recommendations on getting a door frame repaired?

ETA: What's the currently recommended way to post images? Not sure who the current go-to for 3rd party image hosting is.

ETA2:

Thank God I didn't have to shoot anyone. Police (APD) response time was around 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#1]
In first!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Where was the GSD?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Set up a couple of game cameras, they will be watching for you to leave .
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Pics of thug corpses not loading.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn dude, glad you're ok. Time to get a big, loud dog.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I see you got the pic posted but you don't need a third party with the new ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]
You can post pictured directly to arfcom from your phone now. Someone smarter than me will be along to tell you how. On the other note, hope you guys are doing OK.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy shit.

People actually still kick in doors!?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotta be meth heads.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
sorry dude,

I am in Killeen/Hood and can help Secure your door/house IM me
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where was the GSD?
View Quote
This.

My guy would have deboned them before I could even get out of bed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
That door sure looked easy to Kick in
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad you're OK. Too bad you didn't get any confirmed kills. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Mandatory gun pic:

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Judging only from the strike plate and screws on the floor, your locks are crap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Dang man. Thanks for posting! Good reminder it can happen any time anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow glad your ok ............20 Minutes wtf is that
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#18]
You can make temporary repairs with striker plates you can find at Home Depot. Your best bet is to buy a door unit from Home Depot and have someone install it. If you haven't done one of these before, don't attempt it yourself. There are a lot of small details that are easy to overlook. Depending on the door you buy, you are looking at least $800 by the time it is painted if you hire it out.

BTW:  if you have a back door, just screw a 2 X 4 across the door attaching it to the studs that run up the side of the door frame until someone comes out and replaces the door.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#19]
can we get more details as to how it went down when you are able to?
Id have to presume massive adrenaline dump...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Wait a minute

You were home when it happened ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
That was not a locked door.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
sorry dude,

I am in Killeen/Hood and can help Secure your door/house IM me
View Quote

Take whatever help this guy is gonna offer.

Man sorry to hear that. Do you have a wife/kids?

I hope everyone is OK. Did you hear the door get kicked?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can make temporary repairs with striker plates you can find at Home Depot. Your best bet is to buy a door unit from Home Depot and have someone install it. If you haven't done one of these before, don't attempt it yourself. There are a lot of small details that are easy to overlook. Depending on the door you buy, you are looking at least $800 by the time it is painted if you hire it out.

BTW:  if you have a back door, just screw a 2 X 4 across the door attaching it to the studs that run up the side of the door frame until someone comes out and replaces the door.
View Quote

Thank you.

At this point I'd be very happy if this only costs me $800.

I'm still a little frazzled. Sitting next to my computer with my carry gun sitting next to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wait a minute

You were home when it happened ?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Police (APD) response time was around 20 minutes.
View Quote

Holy Hell, 20 minutes?
They're only 20 minutes away when seconds count.

I'd like to hear what you told dispatch. Did you tell them they were already gone or that there was an active home invasion in progress?

Glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
No good shoot.

Someone's not doing their job of skimming the shit from the gene pool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Damn

That's nuts
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mandatory gun pic:

http://i68.tinypic.com/9qbsza.jpg
View Quote

Just a thought from a limey who knows nothing but I imagine that moving straight to your bedroom after kicking the door in they would have been there before you were fully aware of what's happening and definitely before you unlocked the pistol from that box. ( it appears to be a lock box of some kind assuming you keep,it locked of course )

Glad you are ok, security needs strengthening.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live alone. Heard the door get kicked in around 4:30.

Previously we had someone (dumbass kids joy riding) drive into my neighbor's tree at 40 mph, so initially I assumed it was a car hit...but it sounded loud and close.

Turned on my bedroom light. Grabbed gun.

Heard voices. Wasn't sure if they were inside our outside.

Heard more voices. Called 911.

Steped out of my master bedroom. Saw the light on and door open in my guest bedroom (next to the master; other side of the master bathroom). Walked around the corner (to my loft with line-of-sight to the front door). Told 911 dispatcher that the door had been kicked open and was still open.

Moved back to my master bedroom. Waited for police.

911 dispatcher asked me to put down the gun once the police were at my front door. (I could hear voices at the front door).

Police announced, entered, cleared the house. Went through the house with one officer to make sure nothing was stolen.

I think the call to 911 was 4:34 (I know I saw that time on my clock).

Cops mentioned they could see a partial footprint in the dust on my front door.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Holy Hell, 20 minutes?

I'd like to hear what you told dispatch. Did you tell them they were already gone or that there was an active home invasion in progress?

Glad you're ok.
View Quote
oh shit, do a FOIA in the 911 call.

Post that on Youtube. 

20 fucking minutes
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow man glad you are ok.  Beefing up my front door just became my most important project.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Holy Hell, 20 minutes?

Glad you're ok.
View Quote

I told dispatch I wasn't sure if anyone was in the house or not.

ETA: APD was very nice. Extremely polite and professional. Carry M&P 45's in Safariland SLS holsters (hey, it's arfcom). Dudes looked like they could run a 10-minute marathon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Put these reinforcements on each exterior door. Home Depot Door Frame Reinforcement
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm glad you're okay.

Why is APD responding to Pflugerville?  Does PPD not work at night?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Reinforce the door frame. Replace the locks with all dead bolts. Add a third keyless entry dead bolt. In general if the bad guys see three dead bolts vs the standard one dead bolt and one standard lock they will pick some one else. It looks better if you buy locks that all have the same finish.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/StrikeMaster-II-Door-Frame-and-Hinge-Reinforcement-55724/202076114
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Previously we had someone (dumbass kids joy riding) drive into my neighbor's tree at 40 mph, so initially I assumed it was a car hit...but it sounded loud and close.

Steped out of my master bedroom. Saw the light on and door open in my guest bedroom (next to the master; other side of the master bathroom). Walked around the corner (to my loft with line-of-sight to the front door). Told 911 dispatcher that the door had been kicked open and was still open.

911 dispatcher asked me to put down the gun once the police were at my front door. (I could hear voices at the front door).

Police announced, entered, cleared the house. Went through the house with one officer to make sure nothing was stolen.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the a reason you use the lockbox if you live alone? Generally speaking those safes walk right out in a burglary, and only result in slowing the lawful owner from deploying the gun when needed.

Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Steel door
Strike plate should be about 2 feet long and secured with screws about 8" long.
Screws should through wood that the door frame is secured to.
get a bar that supports door under door knob and angles down to floor.

when they kick the door you want to hear bones break not door frame.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Door frame and lock reinforcement

Glad everything was ok.

I was researching this yesterday.

Check my link.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#39]
That sucks.
Glad you're ok.

I'd be frazzled, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#40]
They won't one kick in a door with this on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-1-5-in-White-Steel-Vertical-Rod-Exit-Device/3020161

Keep them on all of my doors.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#42]
That makes for a shitty morning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Does your town have its own police?  

If they had to call an adjoining jurisdiction to cover the call I can see where the 20 minutes came from.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm glad you're okay.

Why is APD responding to Pflugerville?  Does PPD not work at night?
View Quote

Trying not to post too much info publically while I have a front door that won't lock.

Just talked to one repair guy...he's out of town till Monday but will give an estimate based on texted photos.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ETA: APD was very nice. Extremely polite and professional. Carry M&P 45's in Safariland SLS holsters (hey, it's arfcom). Dudes looked like they could run a 10-minute marathon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy Hell, 20 minutes?

Glad you're ok.

I'm sure they were nice, professional, caring and all that.
But if they are running a 20 minute response time on home invasions in progress they probably need to start carrying mops and body bags in their trunks to clean up the blood and bodies when they FINALLY get there.
And people wonder why we need to own guns when we have the police to protect us.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Glad you are OK, OP .
In for more details.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#47]
My advice...

Make a temporary repair to just get the door pieced together today so it shuts and keeps the honest people out.
Do a little homework today and get the name of a decent carpenter...explain your situation to them and ask them to frame out a proper, sound entrance door. Go with commercial grade locking hardware. Its all about the components....if the door, the lock, and the frame are all sturdy and installed correctly, its going to make the door a lot tougher to force an entry.

That all said, nothing is impervious...aside from maybe a steel 'safe' door on a steel frame...but that is probably overkill for this application.

Good luck man...glad you are safe
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This.

My guy would have deboned them before I could even get out of bed.
View Quote

big dogs are a big deterrent.
years ago, when I had a GSD and a mean-ass female Doberman, the house alarm went off at 2 AM.
my wife grabbed the phone to dial 9-1-1, and she said as she was dialing, even over the sound of the alarm, she heard the sound of my Sig unholstering  and the "boing" of the spring that retained a surefire in a carrier.
I slid into hallway, flashed the living room, and saw the two dogs just sitting there in a "WTF" attitude. Obviously a false alarm, as they would have mauled an intruder.

we had a deputy respond to another alarm ( a nosy neighbor later admitted to setting it off by coming up on the deck and setting off the dogs). The deputy's report stated that the house was secure and there was certainly no intruder...he went to the sliding glass door and both dogs slammed against the glass trying to get him; luckily it didn't break.
those dogs were always outside with me, and anyone driving by probably knew to look elsewhere for a target.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Do you have a John Wick loadout strategically placed around the house?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They won't one kick in a door with this on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-1-5-in-White-Steel-Vertical-Rod-Exit-Device/3020161

Keep them on all of my doors.
View Quote
That stops working when the door knob breaks off.

It's best as part of several measures combined = part of a system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top