Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2017 2:52:14 PM EDT
Seems like that distance is close enough to travel by helicopter.
Plus the logistics of moving to/from airports would make it a much longer trip. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure if the president leaves DC so does AF1
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Via whichever way is less economical.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
No press in the Helicopter.

But is the Presidential one as nice or as fast as his own?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct.

So you think he'll use AF1 to make the trip between NYC and the WH? 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
He'll just take the train
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, its a much more secure aircraft..
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Air Force 1.  There are reasons for that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
It's only 204 miles by air.  43 minute flight time by airplane. Not sure how fast copter us or if it can land on Trump Tower.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
They can land that thing at Camp David?  Who knew?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Does President Trump have a helipad on the roof of Trump Tower?

The VH-60N "White Hawk" has a maximum speed of 183 miles per hour which would be able to fly from DC to NY in a little over one hour. The difference between AF1 and Marine One to travel from DC to NYC would be about the same considering vehicular transport to Trump Tower on surface streets after landing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Trump should just change the rules in NYC and allow the helo to land on top of Trump tower (if possible).
Hell if the USSS can re-route air traffic away from former presidents Clinton's compound in Westchester I am sure they can move heaven and earth for a sitting President.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely!

Think about it for a second, if the shit hit's the fan and he's up in NY with Marine, it may very well be too risky to fly him back to DC (Maryland actually) so that he can board AF1 and stay aloft.  

I'm sure you remember 9/11, President Bush was rushed to AF1 and stayed airborn until things could be sorted out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's only 204 miles by air.  43 minute flight time by airplane. Not sure how fast copter us or if it can land on Trump Tower.
View Quote
HMX-1 has Ospreys. If they can't land, fast rope in, SPIE out
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Helicopter cruise speed is about 175 mph.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course not, AF1 is used where applicable and I'm pretty sure NY has plenty of airports.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Look, an airplane is FAR more safe, secure, faster, ect, ect than a helicopter ever could be.

If there are airports near by I guarantee you AF1 will be at one of them and in arfcom tradition why not get both?  Why cant he take AF1 to JFK Laguardia (sp?) and Marine One to Trump tower?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Absolutely!

Think about it for a second, if the shit hit's the fan and he's up in NY with EXecutive one, it may very well be too risky to fly him back to DC (Maryland actually) so that he can board AF1 and stay aloft.  

I'm sure you remember 9/11, President Bush was rushed to AF1 and stayed airborn until things could be sorted out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!

Think about it for a second, if the shit hit's the fan and he's up in NY with EXecutive one, it may very well be too risky to fly him back to DC (Maryland actually) so that he can board AF1 and stay aloft.  

What is Executive one? 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Look, an airplane is FAR more safe, secure, faster, ect, ect than a helicopter ever could be.

If there are airports near by I guarantee you AF1 will be at one of them and in arfcom tradition why not get both?  Why cant he take AF1 to JFK Laguardia (sp?) and executive one to Trump tower?
View Quote

It's not Executive One if the President is on board. It's Marine One.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is Executive one? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!

What is Executive one? 

It's late here, Marine One.

ETA: You get my point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure he'd like to use his own 757, but AF1 is a much better plane for a President.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not Executive One if the President is on board. It's Marine One.
View Quote

yeah yeah I slipped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Of course not, AF1 is used where applicable and I'm pretty sure NY has plenty of airports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sarcasm meter must be due for calibration.  

Let me explain:

The person I was responding to said if the president leaves D.C. so does AF1.

Camp David isn't in D.C.  The president rides in his helio-chopper to get there, not AF1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let me explain:

Camp David isn't in D.C.  The president rides in his helio-chopper to get there, not AF1.
View Quote

I need to go to bed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I need to go to bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me explain:

I need to go to bed.
I can relate to that statement often
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
The logistics of protecting Trump in his NYC home are probably driving the SS folks nuts.  Commuting back and forth to DC is probably making it worse. 
My bet is that they'll transport him in something like an Osprey.  Door to door in about an hour. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Absolutely!

View Quote

It was only called "Executive 1" because the President wasn't on board. When the Obamas took the plane to California, it was "SAM 28000" (or whatever the tail number is.)

Both "Air Force 1" and "Marine 1" denote the passenger, not the aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hagerstown is very close to Camp David.  I think they just lengthened the runway to accommodate AF1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Where did you read that he will commute back and forth? I am sure he will visit NYC, but live in the White House.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Absolutely!

View Quote
There are TWO airframes that can be AF-1.

Just det one of them to JFK or LGA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
We're talking Trump here, not Mattis. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
False.  He has driven and helicoptered all over the mid Atlantic.

Even to cities with large centralized airports.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where did you read that he will commute back and forth? I am sure he will visit NYC, but live in the White House.
View Quote
  Trump's son (and wife) are staying in NYC.  The whole Trump family are going to be doing a lot of commuting back and forth. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are TWO airframes that can be AF-1.

Just det one of them to JFK or LGA.
View Quote

Not necessarily the case, any USAF aircraft with POTUS on board is AF-1. It's uncommon but not unheard of for the POTUS to travel in a USAF 757 or Gulfstream, in which case that plane would be AF-1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not necessarily the case, any USAF aircraft with POTUS on board is AF-1. It's uncommon but not unheard of for the POTUS to travel in a USAF 757 or Gulfstream, in which case that plane would be AF-1.
View Quote
Excuse me for not being adequately specific.  There are two VC-25's.  Det one to LGA or JFK.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think a 747 can land a laguardia. It's too big. I think the largest plane that can land there is the 767-400
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The V22s are only for the press pool at the moment, they're not approved for Marine One use.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Any normal movement from DC to NYC is going to utilize both assets (HMX twice)
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't think a 747 can land a laguardia. It's too big. I think the largest plane that can land there is the 767-400
View Quote
There are other aircraft in the Presidential fleet, including 757-200s, which are flown frequently when a 747 won't fit. There are even Presidential Gulfstreams for when a 757 isn't suitable and the VH-3D and VH-60N don't have the legs.

I bet Melania and Baron ride the Gulfstream frequently, the logistics would be much easier and significantly reduced cost vs moving Trump.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I think LGA is a tight fit for a 747.  And not much room for error (like Pence's plane running out of runway).
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

JFK can (and does) take 747s.

I feel for the people that live around there, constant presidential motorcades are going to be a PITA to deal with.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the roof of Trump tower can accommodate a helicopter, even if it was allowed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I feel for the people that live around there, constant presidential motorcades are going to be a PITA to deal with.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the roof of Trump tower can accommodate a helicopter, even if it was allowed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Clinton was regularly travelling to NYC the drill was that AF-1 flew him into JFK and would then shuttle down to McGuire AFB and sit there if needed for a fast exit or wait until his scheduled departure.  In either case they would fly back to JFK, pick him up and return to DC.  I don't see anything different being done for Trump.

The big issue is transportation from JFK to Trump Tower.  Ground transport is going to be a nightmare with all the traffic shut downs required by Secret Service.  They could use a chopper to get from JFK to one of the heliports on the East River or the Hudson and then convoy to the Tower.  Ideally they would be able to chopper to the Tower, but I don't think that the building has a helipad based on a look at Google Earth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#44]
He's gonna take the train like he used to.

He's a pretty good shit, actually. He saw I had a new newspaper and bought me a coupla beers for giving it to him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't think there are any active rooftop helipads left in NYC after the Pan Am (now Met Life) accident in the late 1970's.

Even if he chose to fly by helicopter, AF 1 would be flown up to the NYC area.  Wherever the POTUS travels, there is a backup means of transport available with him and it must be in place upon arrival.  That is the reason for the second presidential limo in the motorcade and the other Marine One landing just before he lands, they are not "decoys," contrary to urban legends.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Uncle Ronnie used to take the VH-3D from either LAX or Naval Air Station Point Mugu to his ranch Rancho del Cielo in Santa Barbara, Ca.
That was about an hour flight.
Air Force one would stay at either LAX or Point Mugu.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He'll just take the train
View Quote

Only if it's Taggart's Comet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Uncle Ronnie used to take the VH-3D from either LAX or Naval Air Station Point Mugu to his ranch Rancho del Cielo in Santa Barbara, Ca.
That was about an hour flight.
Air Force one would stay at either LAX or Point Mugu.

https://reaganlibrary.archives.gov/archives/photographs/large/c35775-28.jpg

https://reaganlibrary.archives.gov/archives/photographs/large/c39551-16A.jpg
View Quote

I saw AF1, or maybe the backup plane, at March AFB (Riverside County) often when Reagan was in California.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Unless he goes to EWR, Kennedy is in Bumfuck, Queens and suck major hairy balls, and AF1 cannot land at LGA which is everyone's first choice. He needs a smaller jet, like I think it's called VF25, I used to hear them being called by the Air Farce guys in DC as "Scatbacks"
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
If I was President I would bring back Presidential train travel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top