Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2017 2:15:08 PM EDT
and a non-engineering job wanting a mechanical/aero engineering degree.  What the fuck is wrong with HR and hiring managers?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
and a non-engineering job wanting a mechanical/aero engineering degree.  What the fuck is wrong with HR and hiring managers?
View Quote
They probably have a specific person they want to hire and are hoping the requirements will allow them to cut everyone else out of the mandated hiring process
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It just sucks they want qualified people to fill their job openings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cute but in general, people with mechanical engineering degrees gravitate towards engineering jobs not drafting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds more like they want to hire someone overqualified for shit pay.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
they have high expectations and only get people that cant meet the requirements and then
they bitch because there is no skilled people to fill the positions.

most companies do this anymore and wonder why only crazy people apply.

Its their business of course but that doesn't mean its the best way to find good help.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they want to say that there is no one qualified so they can h1b.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I've seen lots of job postings similar to this. New Grad, Entry Level Mechanical Engineer: 5 years experience and PE required

I was also offered less money for an engineering job than I earned in my internships in college on multiple occasions

In my experience a lot of companies have issues hiring Engineering positions. I've had some that just nailed the process and were fantastic, but more usually interviews involve talking about your experience in stress analysis of composite structures and FEA to a junior HR girl who has no idea if what you just said was English and proceeds to ask you if you know how to use Office
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
At my company Entry Level does not mean your first job. It means it's the lowest level job we offer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
To do this for the US Gov, you need to have a PHD.
WTF over?

Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
Provides management and support for Microsoft Exchange network services used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video format and ensure sustained delivery of vital hardwired and wireless network services to customers.
Provides information and instruction to customers related to use and verification of backups.
Manages accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment; and manages systems resources including performance, capacity, availability, serviceability and recoverability.
Provides management and support for software and hardware (hubs, bridges, switches, routers, wireless) used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video format and ensure sustained delivery of vital hardwired and wireless network services to customers.
Installs, configures, maintains and verifies performance of hardware and software for centralized data storage. The employee resolves hardware/software interface and interoperability problems on a wide variety of different platforms, operating systems including Windows, Macintosh and Linux, applications and desktop configurations.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Could be, but their job, their rules. It'll work out one way or another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread didn't take long.

I love the corporate cock sucking on this site.

Fucking shit stain employers demanding top tier employees then wanting to insult them with shit for pay but still having the nerve to demand the world out of them. Yeah, we all have to suck the corporate cock because employment isn't a two way street or a symbiotic relationship. These stupid fucks actively scrape the bottom of the barrel after seeing that this initial plan didn't work out so well then complain about not being able to find good employees.

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Treat your employer with the same contempt they treat you with, always be on the look out and ready to pounce on a better opportunity, and always remember that you and your loved ones come first. They want to treat their employees and customers like shit while raising prices and lowering quality and service? Give them the same treatment.

Oh arfcom patriotic, capitalistic, conservative real Americans, please forgive me for not gobbing the corporate jizz and speaking ill of shitty employers.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Usually, you see that shit, and what it really means is that they are building a case for bringing in an H1B to do the job.

Acquaintance who works HR pretty much confessed to that being the case, when I asked her about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I like entry level jobs that say you need three years of experience in that exact position somewhere else. But they ALL say that. How the hell do you get hired in Catch-22 land?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's cute but in general, people with mechanical engineering degrees gravitate towards engineering jobs not drafting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let the market decide. If they fill it who will be wrong, you or them 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fucking shit stain employers demanding top tier employees then wanting to insult them with shit for pay but still having the nerve to demand the world out of them. Yeah, we all have to suck the corporate cock because employment isn't a two way street or a symbiotic relationship. These stupid fucks actively scrape the bottom of the barrel after seeing that this initial plan didn't work out so well then complain about not being able to find good employees.

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Treat your employer with the same contempt they treat you with, always be on the look out and ready to pounce on a better opportunity, and always remember that you and your loved ones come first. They want to treat their employees and customers like shit while raising prices and lowering quality and service? Give them the same treatment.

Oh arfcom patriotic, capitalistic, conservative real Americans, please forgive me for not gobbing the corporate jizz and speaking ill of shitty employers.

View Quote
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They probably have a specific person they want to hire and are hoping the requirements will allow them to cut everyone else out of the mandated hiring process
View Quote

Yep, Seen it before.
Policy says they must advertise for job.
So they advertise, making job qualifications that it is very unlikely anyone will meet except the one they already have in mind.
AKA going through the motions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?
View Quote

Companies can do whatever they want with their job. That doesn't mean we can't point out their retardedness. I'm tired of hearing people bitch about not being able to find any good hires because of their own stupidity; or hearing about how their underpaid, over qualified employees aren't performing well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Seen it before.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Companies can do whatever they want with their job. That doesn't mean we can't point out their retardedness. I'm tired of hearing people bitch about not being able to find any good hires because of their own stupidity; or hearing about how their underpaid, over qualified employees aren't performing well.
View Quote
LOL ok
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
most companies also have piss poor human resources and they just copy shit
from the internet as a guideline for job openings.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Usually, you see that shit, and what it really means is that they are building a case for bringing in an H1B to do the job.

Acquaintance who works HR pretty much confessed to that being the case, when I asked her about it.
View Quote

Time for Trump to put hefty tax penalties on bringing in H1B people. I doubt there is a job out there that no one is America is qualified to do, it's more like the company doesn't want to pay what it is worth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
they have high expectations and only get people that cant meet the requirements and then
they bitch because there is no skilled people to fill the positions.

most companies do this anymore and wonder why only crazy people apply.

Its their business of course but that doesn't mean its the best way to find good help.
View Quote

It's done so they can claim "no americans qualified for the job" then they hire some Indian or Pakistani for shit wages on an H1B visa.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember an ad I saw about 15 years ago.

Req.
BS in comp sci or info systems
3 years exp
A+ cert

Job descr.
Unbox, set up, and configure new desktop computers. And get them hooked into the network.

$10/hr + available(employee paid) insurance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
At my company Entry Level does not mean your first job. It means it's the lowest level job we offer.
View Quote

English - does your company speak it?  First job is exactly what entry level is supposed to mean.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

English - does your company speak it?  First job is exactly what entry level is supposed to mean.
View Quote

TPNI
If you're advertising for a job for something other than the lowest jr engineer, or equivalent in whatever discipline,  then you call the job by that name not 'Entry Level'
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTF over?

Provides management and support for Microsoft Exchange network services used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video format and ensure sustained delivery of vital hardwired and wireless network services to customers.
Provides information and instruction to customers related to use and verification of backups.
Manages accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment; and manages systems resources including performance, capacity, availability, serviceability and recoverability.
Provides management and support for software and hardware (hubs, bridges, switches, routers, wireless) used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video format and ensure sustained delivery of vital hardwired and wireless network services to customers.
Installs, configures, maintains and verifies performance of hardware and software for centralized data storage. The employee resolves hardware/software interface and interoperability problems on a wide variety of different platforms, operating systems including Windows, Macintosh and Linux, applications and desktop configurations.
View Quote

Used to see that all the time on USAJOBS, it would read something like "Needs 1 year specialized experience at X level OR a Masters Degree" or "Needs three years specialized experience at X level OR a PhD". I always viewed it as they wanted to make it more favorable to veterans though, tons of civilian DOD jobs on there are written like that. Makes it tough to get foot in the door if you aren't ex-military. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they're angling for an H1B with credentials from some garbage organizations.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental.

10 years experience is NOT Entry Level, period.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WTF over?

View Quote
Those crack me up...  They want a PhD (multiple preferred) Nobel Laureate with 20 years' experience... on a piece of software that was released last year.. all for the princely sum of $45K/year and work in a cubicle next to the sewage plant.  Then they wonder why they get no "qualified candidates" and have to promote Shaniqua the barely literate receptionist instead.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The economy crashed around the time Zero got elected and certain sectors haven't recovered. Outsourcing hasn't helped either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#32]
It would be interesting if they are offering entry level pay to go with the 10 years experience.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@A_G

If you nailed it any harder there'd be a 3 mile deep crater.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! There are a lot of companies scamming the legal immigration system for cheaper workers that they can import. But, first they have to satisfy the Dept. of Labor's requirement that they tried locating qualified US citizens first.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental.
10 years experience IS Entry Level for that company.
They can ask for however many years of experience they want for an entry level job.
View Quote
Exactly, it's their job posting and they can decide what is entry to them.

The market will tell them if they need change their requirements. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Surfing for a H1B
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraternity member graduated with a mechanical engineer.  To the best of my knowledge, never worked a day in his life in that field.  Last I talked to him, he was hawking some kind of Amway bs.  Tim has probably hit the nail on the head.  Some people serve a purpose, somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Professional HR are the scum of the corporate world and that world is one huge cesspool.
They'll pass up hiring great people to hire well presented turds with impressive resumes to find out they are turds.
It is sad but that is the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ding ding ding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Entry level jobs (non-technical) at my company require 5 years experience and a related degree
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This... It's been going on for long enough for it to become kind of a joke.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

every accounting job i looked at wanted 2-10 years experience and/or cpa for entry level.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually there are a few rules that might apply to this situation. If I had a law degree and time I would troll the heck out of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Entry level jobs (non-technical) at my company require 5 years experience and a related degree
View Quote
Exactly!

Just because it's an entry level job doesn't mean there will not be previous experience and or education requirements. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

every accounting job i looked at wanted 2-10 years experience and/or cpa for entry level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to be fair if someone has a CPA they have to have previous experience 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fine. But employees get to bargain collectively to compensate. Freedom of association and free market, and all that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fine. But employees get to bargain collectively to compensate. Freedom of association and free market, and all that stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Employment is a two way street 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#50]
this seems to be a plague that just keeps growing in the service industry, some spots are worse than others, but as a whole it is shit now.

the MAGA cant start soon enough
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top