Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:11:59 PM EDT
Looking to get a 72" tool chest and wanted your expert opinion.

the big us general feels and looks like the real deal, snap on is out of sight in cost and the lowes stuff feels flimsy.

Is the general the real deal? It's on ad for 1099.00
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the us general.

I have a couple of them and pleased.

better boxes than any of the big store names.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes us general. Got one a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Mac
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you will be doing,  

My home and auto tools are dewalts and stanley screw drivers, some old inhereted wrenches and hammers, and a $15 rachet set (75 piece) generic that have gotten me thru  my life.

My tool box is a Stanley plastic carry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking to get a 72" tool chest and wanted your expert opinion.

the big us general feels and looks like the real deal, snap on is out of sight in cost and the lowes stuff feels flimsy.

Is the general the real deal? It's on ad for 1099.00
View Quote

CL got a Snap On for $1200 slightly dinged. New probably Harbour Freight but the slides bother me.
Also got a Kennedy box, us made but plastic pieces keep falling out of the roller slides.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The US General Pro boxes are damn good for the money.

I have their rollcart and I prefer it to my comparable Matco rollcart I had in the past.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My Kobalt box (Lowe's) has many thousands of miles on it, riding in a race car hauler from one end of the country to the other.  It's held up quite well, considering all the abuse
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I say finance that sumbitch!

Nothing like going into debt on a big metal box with wheels....

Or go to Harbor Freight, buy a US General, and buy 100,000 rounds of ammoes.

Which sounds better?

Quoted:
My Kobalt box (Lowe's) has many thousands of miles on it, riding in a race car hauler from one end of the country to the other.  It's held up quite well, considering all the abuse
View Quote

My US General has seen more pits at more tracks and more states then most of GD
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The sides of the drawers and slides are pretty flimsy on the ones I've seen at Lowes, Home Depot and Harbor Freight. Are the U.S. General models sturdier?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a few US general boxes at work. I'd have no issue using one at home.

You may be surprised what you can find on craigslist though. I've seen big name boxes shockingly cheap.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My recommendation is to buy a used chest from one of the name brands, Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco.
I dont have any experiance with the general chest.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I used Snap-On before I becae a supervisor. I sold my boxes because they would not fit in my townhouse I went back to turning wrenches and picked up a Craftsman pro series. It is ok. My friend is a Snap-On dealer and he told me they will offer a special on boxes where they will give you $2500 on whatever box you trade in. Craftsman, Lowes brand etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Sams used to sell a really nice stainless chest with roller bearing drawers. If I'm not mistaken it was around $400 for the 72".
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
We got a John Deere box a while back, seems like a nice piece.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a few US general boxes at work. I'd have no issue using one at home.

You may be surprised what you can find on craigslist though. I've seen big name boxes shockingly cheap.
View Quote

Look at reviews on us general hf, got a lower one for $400, great box.  I have a couple of Kennedy boxes for top boxes.

Costco had a great ss box the other day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#17]
A lot of it depends on how much weight the thing will end up holding.

I'm a toolmaker with literally oodles of tools, Kennedy makes a good roller. Used ones can be had for a dance if in right place, right time. Kennedy Versa-Cart is a fantastic tool toting rig.

Used snap-on can be good buys, the slides are high quality and support plenty of weight. Casters roll nicely for heavy box, they don't get flat spots when parked. I've got an older than the hills, like 4 logo's back Snapper roller. Bought used, Snap-on guy still covers parts (detents, etc) under warranty.

Got one of those rubbermaid rollers at a garage sale once for like 25 bucks - it's actually not too shitty. Way better than the Lowes thing below.

Never had anything us general, but the lowes red made in USA roller is 100% POS. I put one next to a mill with a few tool in it and all but one drawer basically fell apart / collapsed within few days.

Edit - dammit. I checked my local CL and found these. Gonna hafta go get those.
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/tls/5924739969.html
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Snap-On all day long, every day (with the choices you listed).

I paid $1800 for two classic 78's, used.  Good deals are out there on used Snap-On boxes.  As a guy that's just an auto hobbyist/tinkerer, the previous Kennedy, MatCo, and Craftsman boxes I had were junk in comparison.

Whatever you get: Absolutely ball-bearing slides.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy once, cry once. Snap On 37 years. Mac boxes second choice. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have three of the larger US General boxes, and their largest cart.  I have an insane amount of weight in the machinist's box.  (pin gauges, blocks, etc)  I was wheeling it around the shop all the time when I was assigned to a new machine.

All of them have held up great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard the big US General box is pretty good, especially considering the price point. I like the older Craftsman ball bearing grip latch series boxes (basically a rebranded Waterloo box) for a good homeowner level box.  That said, I love my SnapOn EPIQ box - but they're not cheap - mine was a scratch and dent discount for about half of MSRP. They're an excellent box, as is the Matco 6S series of box.  That said, I would say that you'll know if you need one of the premium tool boxes...maybe.a used one would be the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once. Snap On 37 years. Mac boxes second choice. 
View Quote

Lista cabinets on Bestway or Colson casters
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Snap-On that I bought new in 1986, Fantastic tool box. Its been thru a lot with me and I made a living out of it for 15 years.
That being said I wouldn't buy it for home use, it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of coin. The US General ones I've seen look GTG.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a US General box that I've been very happy with.  One of the guys at the shop has a bigger one and is very happy with it as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the 56 inch model.  It is built like a tank.  The best tool cabinet for the money hands down.  I have since added the top and two side units.  This thing is simply incredible.  I was like you.  I researched for many weeks looking at others.  The Lowes and Home Depot stuff is shit.  Even the new Craftsman Pro series is garbage.  I was not going to spend thousands on a MAC / Snapon / etc.  With a 25 percent coupon and a visa gift card someone gave me it walked out the door only paying (roughly) 575.00 for just the lower.  Get the US General stuff you will not be disappointed.

TIP: get it in a store if you can.  I have heard many bad stories of ordering it online and when it gets deliver it is damaged.  You then have to ship it back.  If you get it in a store you can take it back to the store.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quite a few guys at our hangar have US General boxes. They hold up pretty damn well. I scored a Snap On box off of Craigslist for a very good price.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get the us general.

View Quote

This, I have yet to put my hands on one, but everything I hear about them is good.  Worst case if it does go to hell on you it will be years down the road, and the money saved compared to snap on or mac, which I have had both, you can buy another one or five that size.....

ETA or a good used snap on or mac,  I have seen some ridiculously cheap prices from people getting out of the trade/divorce etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The US General Pro boxes are damn good for the money.
View Quote

^^^This. They are an excellent value for the money...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a 42 in Mac box and Mac roll cart where  I keep most of my tools. Few guys have the US General big box and its nice.  If it came in black I would get one.

At home I have a husky 40in box which is really nice too
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The only issue with US General is the shallow and short drawers. The 72" is 19" deep. Far too shallow for anyone but the most basic users.

If you are looking for a cheaper box, SPG International offers boxes that are 24" deep. According to Garage Journal (ARF of tools), they are good quality. The 72" ranges between $1300-3200, depending on which series you choose.

I have a Snap On since owning one makes me a Cat/Cummins/Deere/Navistar certified advanced master lead diesel tech. If lol When I need a triple bank, the SPG Int is a likely choice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a Husky for 10 years, it was overloaded and finally had to be replaced as it was falling apart.

I was planning on getting the HF tool box but was also looking for used. I got aused but mint KRL1022, new lists for 10K, I paid $2K cash. Still have the husky top but am looking to replace that when i find the right box.

I also have a roll cart, I have all my common everyday tools in this. Much easier to roll around our packed shop. It is what i would recommend first. it holds a lot of tools. The sliding top allows me to keep stuff on top all the time.
Snap on roll cart.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes us general. Got one a few weeks ago.
View Quote

This. Unless you have money to piss away.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is this for work or home?

For home use, I would go with the General.

Shop use with a shit ton of tools, go with the SnapOn
View Quote

It's for my shop at home.  Strictly hobbyist use but I do have a lot of tools. Shop is 35x35 so I want to get them consolidated and organized.  I want to buy something that will last, and not fall apart in 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get the us general.

View Quote

Professional mechanic here. This man speaks the truth.
$5-10,000 boxes are a waste of money imho.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Hgr 10 or 11/12/26?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Matco at the shop and a US General at home.
Matco is made in the USA.

US General is gtg. As are the HF service carts.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Have you ever looked at Strictly Toolboxes? They have a series called Extreme that the shelves can hold up to 640 lbs. There is a picture on that shows 3 guys standing on one shelf.

extreme series
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree, home use, any toolbox from a big box store will work. HF boxes will be a good choice.

HF roll cart didn't last at work, I had too much in it and the bottom bowed and the casters pushed up through the bottom.
It now works perfectly well here at home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Make sure to check out Home Depot too. I saw a hell of a deal the other day on a Husky brand tool chest. I believe it was a 56" cabinet. Top and bottom. Ball bearing rollers. Rubber liners. Power strips on both sides of the top box interior. It was something like $650. Looked to me to be at least as good as US General.

Eta: This was the one!

The one I saw had a minor dent in the back that you wouldn't even see when it was up against the wall. It didn't interfere with anything. Strictly cosmetic. But I was pretty impressed with its quality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A person that uses their box for a living, will go in and out of the box many times a day. Throw in a lot of heavy tools, and you can see why a quality box matters. Not to mention that Snap-On warranties their boxes for life. I still get replacement parts for the one that I bought back in the 80s free of charge.

Even if you have a lot of heavy tools, and you're only working out of it on the weekends and the like, then I think the General will hold up just fine for many years.
View Quote

This is key.

With tools it's the same thing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Lista, Stanley Vidmar, Lyon,  etc.  

Snap On is for pretty boys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#44]
One more thing I'll add is that if you go looking for used boxes: SnapOn makes a lot of different series of boxes. They vary widely in features and price - and no one in their right mind pays MSRP on the initial purchase either.  My box listed for 12xxx IIRC, but once incentives and discounts were applied, it was around 6500 - like I mentioned before, it was a scratch and dent, so there were some extra savings in there.

Also, the extra depth on the premium chests (mine is 30") makes a huge difference in storage capacity and work area.  

And, may as well throw a picture in here...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#46]
It's the drawer rollers and wheel sets that are the major long term issues in a tool box.  The rest is just frosting unless you actually need to lock it up for security....then the lock set is important.

My recommendation is that you get something that is so freeking big and heavy that someone will need a serious piece of equipment to move.  

Fucking thieves.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mac
View Quote

This. My Mac will outlive me most likely.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Look at Waterloo.  They make boxes for others and are available online
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Best box for the buck in my experience is Cornwell.

I have a Mac cart two Cornwell boxes and a old snappy..

The Cornwell sacrifice a little on the locks but otherwise are just as good as the Mac and much less expensive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#50]
The small US General boxes are on par with the stuff you buy at Sears, Home Depot etc. Kinda meh..... but inexpensive.

The larger ones are fantastic for homeowner/home shop use.

I have the 44in US General top and bottom box. They are quite a bit better (and usually cheaper) then the same size big box store toolboxes.

As far as weight and drawer sliders, the bottom drawer of my bottom box is stuff full of air tools and the top (big) drawer is full of racks of 1/2in drive sockets. I have never had any issues with it.

The only issue I have had with mine is the finish (red crinkle) is discontinued so I cannot find matching side cabinets. And the drawer label covers (in the handles) slide out every once and a while. Eventually I will label them and silicone them in to stop that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top