Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/28/2016 7:00:41 AM EDT
Mid-August I purchased a brand new 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4. It was a decent truck, but had too many issues in too short of a time period. I've already traded it in (thank you great resale value) and picked up Mustang number 6.

Those who have picked up a third gen (or are planning to), these are my issues and may be the same for you. All happened within 2 months of purchasing the truck and it wasn't ever abused.

1 - LOUD differential whine. Started at 500 miles. Originally would happen from 35-70 but now when I traded it in, it was only happening from 50-70. Dealer said they do not know what it is and don't know how to fix it. Looking at the Tacoma forums, it seems to be limited to TRD offroad models which would suggest that the issue has something to do with the E-locker.

2. Steering column cover had some kind of issue causing it to come loose and rub the wheel. No matter how many times I would remove/adjust it, it would come back in a few miles.

3. Seemingly minor, but all of the paint was chipping off of the rear window trim.

4. Seat stitching was coming apart on the driver seat within a month. I covered seats with Clazzio fitted leather covers, so no pics.

All in all, dealer would have had the truck for over a week and would not provide a loaner while the fix it. Maybe I got a lemon, but the first experience I had with Toyota sucked ass. This will make my 8th Ford vehicle and I've never had issues like this (that weren't directly caused by myself or mods I do).
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. That sucks. Glad you moved on. Loud noises when driving are annoying. I love a quiet cab.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow. That sucks. Glad you moved on. Loud noises when driving are annoying. I love a quiet cab.
View Quote

Yup, the little noises would drive me crazy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sucks to be you. Ive had several toyotas and the wife has had 3 lexus vehicles. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't mind noise if it's the right kind. Like V8 exhaust

Quoted:
Sucks to be you. Ive had several toyotas and the wife has had 3 lexus vehicles. Never had a problem.

Don't buy a third gen taco or your luck may run out.

Quoted:
Quoted:

For what it's worth, they weren't little noises at all. The rubbing you hear AND feel in the steering wheel every turn. The diff noise (though I could "control it") was audible over my radio at half volume.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Car with a bed/girl truck/should have bought a full size/pussification of america/my diesel 3/4 ton can tow all day long/hipsters....

eta: forgot to add - drum brakes...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Car with a bed/girl truck/should have bought a full size/pussification of america/my diesel 3/4 ton can tow all day long/hipsters....
View Quote

But they can't go where a tacoma can
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the way back to the dealer?

Yes, I own one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh.  I love my 2nd gen tacoma.  I've heard there are some other issues with the 3rd gens.  Sorry that this has happened to you.  I don't think I'll ever trade in my 2nd gen for a 3rd.... I'd be down grading.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
This post is either a subtle way of saying it is somehow your fault and Toyota is awesome.

Or

Your troubles further validate my choice of vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Meh.  I love my 2nd gen tacoma.  I've heard there are some other issues with the 3rd gens.  Sorry that this has happened to you.  I don't think I'll ever trade in my 2nd gen for a 3rd.... I'd be down grading.
View Quote

I'd be inclined to agree - but the interior is SO much nicer on the third gen. Only reason I ended up getting one, then my issues came up. Oh well, my new Mustang is tits and even better since I got it for $10k off sticker.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a reason I bought a 2015 just before the run ended.  Wasn't impressed with a lot of the 2016s ''improvements'' to include the engine and double OD transmission. [that honestly, the engine doesn't have enough oomph to pull 6th in]

I think that ANYTHING Toyota builds in Japan is 10 times better then a US or Mexican made one. Build difference between even my FJ [Japan] and Taco is quite noticeable.

Not impressed with fancy shit in a pickup [even a little one] all I care for is if the damn thing works, lasts a decent amount of time and has decent resale value.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This post is either a subtle way of saying it is somehow your fault and Toyota is awesome.

Or

Your troubles further validate my choice of vehicle.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I've heard a lot of bad things about the new tacomas. My buddy has had nothing but problems with his 2017 as well ill try to get a list of all his issues.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is a reason I bought a 2015 just before the run ended.  Wasn't impressed with a lot of the 2016s ''improvements'' to include the engine and double OD transmission. [that honestly, the engine doesn't have enough oomph to pull 6th in]

I think that ANYTHING Toyota builds in Japan is 10 times better then a US or Mexican made one. Build difference between even my FJ [Japan] and Taco is quite noticeable.
View Quote

Yes this... I think if I ever traded in my 2nd gen taco it would be for a 4Runner TRD Pro.  Those are made in Japan and they kept the 4.0L V6 in them.  (THat is all 4Runners that is... I just want the TRD Pro for the nice interior and upgraded suspension)
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't even get me started on that shitty ass transmission.

Hurr durr lets sit at 3500 rpm because there's a fucking hill a mile away. Cruise control was fucking HORRIBLE with that trans. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. Finally shifted a total of like 25 sec. Had enough time to grab my phone, record it, and still have 10 seconds of it sitting there for no reason.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hurr durr lets sit at 3500 rpm because there's a fucking hill a mile away. Cruise control was fucking HORRIBLE with that trans. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. Finally shifted a total of like 25 sec. Had enough time to grab my phone, record it, and still have 10 seconds of it sitting there for no reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPMw7yL8nM

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPMw7yL8nM

The 750 [I think that is the nomeclature] is a FAR better transmission IMHO, I have no issues with it in the FJ or Taco and it seems to be a very long lasting one IF you don't tow in OD.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like it was totally worth flushing our American manufacturing economy down the toilet over these Japanese cars.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#18]
boy i just love reading lemon threads. later this week i will pick up my first-ever new car, and first new Japanese car anyone in my family has ever purchased since the dawn of time. 2016 4runner trail prem. wish me luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 2005 Tacoma with over 100K and no significant problems so far.

There was a series of recalls on that truck and a new set of problems as the years went by from year to year.

I would have thought by now, Toyota would have pulled it all together from experience alone and made a truck that was somewhat problem free.  I amazes me to hear of all the problems cropping up with the newest version of a well known truck.

If this kind of stuff keeps up, it will not be long before the Toyota reputation his the pooper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like it was totally worth flushing our American manufacturing economy down the toilet over these Japanese cars.
View Quote

The Toyota Tacoma is built in the U.S. as are many of their vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]
so you lost like what 30% depreciation?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
My '95 was trouble free save for wear and tear items for well over 200k.

OP's truck sucked and I would have been ridding somebody's asshole until it was fixed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so you lost like what 30% depreciation?
View Quote

Dealer gave me $1500 less than I paid for it in trade in value.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

*sigh*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Do you ever stop whining?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd be inclined to agree - but the interior is SO much nicer on the third gen. Only reason I ended up getting one, then my issues came up. Oh well, my new Mustang is tits and even better since I got it for $10k off sticker.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5822/30520918141_329e455d13_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5822/30520918141_329e455d13_b.jpg

Why did you buy a TRD if a mustang can do what you need?

Because America?  I get that.  But geez sounds like you didn't or don't have any idea what kind of car is best for your lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Says the guy who likely typed that message on a computer made in China, or a phone made in China.

If you want to play that game, let's talk about my dad's Silverado, made in Mexico, or my sister's Chrysler Town & Country, built in Canada.  FWIW I'm learning to drive on my fiancee's Prius, built in Japan, and happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Calling assholes out for supporting Japan ahead of America is not whining, sir.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#29]
2nd gen DCLBFTMFW. Turd gens are shite.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

if it's made here, and americans own stock in toyota, how is it "supporting japan"?

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#31]
How many miles?, got 6k on my '16, haven't seen any of that happen. Drove it straight from the dealer in NC to WA first day I got it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Uh huh.   Your ignorance is astounding.  

News flash.   Auto companies are no longer "American".  They are global mega-corporations that span hundreds of countries.   Profits get distributed around the globe.   Everytime you spout this nonsense,  you sound like some cousin-fucking hillbilly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

if it's made here, and americans own stock in toyota, how is it "supporting japan"?

View Quote

No shit? I thought Americans were too lazy and stoned all the time to build decent vehicles?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

News flash.   Auto companies are no longer "American".  They are global mega-corporations that span hundreds of countries.   Profits get distributed around the globe.   Everytime you spout this nonsense,  you sound like some cousin-fucking hillbilly.
View Quote

Well yeah, but the only reason it's like that nowadays is because back in the 70's, certain Americans were scummy and lowly enough to start buying Japanese vehicles in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is buying stuff from Harbor Freight supporting China?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol half my last suburban was made over seas.  Why bother with the buy USA mantra when your U.S. Brand is using Chinese castings and components.    Btw I had an 01 and an 04 burban and the build quality really nosedived between the two.  Squeeze a nickel and raise the price.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

yeah cause GM and UAW really gave a fuck about me turning out pieces of shits for 30 years while waving the flag and pumping money into the DNC coffers.

like a rock?

suck my cock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#39]
The people who moan about American made make me laugh. Ford with how many hecho en Mexico parts? The foreign car companies that come here to build like BMW, VW, Toyota,... tend to bring in a huge supply chain of parts mfgs that are also made here by US workers. I've been in and out of domestic and foreign owned car mfgs as well as their supplier plants all my adult life. Your Grandpa's made in the USA GM/Chevy/Ford does not exist any longer. Everything is global. I do not know the exact parts count but I would wager BMW's have more US made stuff in them than Ford or GM. Even though the bumpers and plastic body panels for both are made right up the road from me at a French owned company.

BTW just rolled over 391,000 on my 96 Taco.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.

Even if Harbor Freight is an American company?  All Harbor Freight profits go to an American company.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yeah cause GM and UAW really gave a fuck about me turning out pieces of shits for 30 years while waving the flag and pumping money into the DNC coffers.

like a rock?

suck my cock.
View Quote

See, you can tell people who buy Jap shit feel guilty about it because they always get this angry when you call them out on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well yeah, but the only reason it's like that nowadays is because back in the 70's, certain Americans were scummy and lowly enough to start buying Japanese vehicles in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol the god damned fuel market then was one of the biggest reasons for that.   Hmm fuel up a 72 thunderbird and a Honda CVCC on Monday and see if you make it to work all week.    Then you had the American gems at the time Gremlin, Pacer, Eagle, Citation, then Into the k car and dodge aspens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The American companies were building overpriced,  inefficient garbage.   A little competition was good for them.  

If not for the Japanese,  I bet we would still be driving vehicles that fall apart in less than 100k.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mid-August I purchased a brand new 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4. It was a decent truck, but had too many issues in too short of a time period. I've already traded it in (thank you great resale value) and picked up Mustang number 6.

Those who have picked up a third gen (or are planning to), these are my issues and may be the same for you. All happened within 2 months of purchasing the truck and it wasn't ever abused.

1 - LOUD differential whine. Started at 500 miles. Originally would happen from 35-70 but now when I traded it in, it was only happening from 50-70. Dealer said they do not know what it is and don't know how to fix it. Looking at the Tacoma forums, it seems to be limited to TRD offroad models which would suggest that the issue has something to do with the E-locker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY3OdUt6Zko

View Quote

I don't have a TRD Offroad, but my 2016 does howl.  I can hear the howl whenever I take my foot off the gas.

I put tape over the holes in the lower control arms to stop the front end howl which was kind of annoying when it was windy.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

See, you can tell people who buy Jap shit feel guilty about it because they always get this angry when you call them out on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like a rock?

suck my cock.

Nah,  just tired of your shtick.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

For what it's worth, they weren't little noises at all. The rubbing you hear AND feel in the steering wheel every turn. The diff noise (though I could "control it") was audible over my radio at half volume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been driving a 3rd gen. Taco for the last 97k and still have no issues. Going to sell it when my 2017 Tundra TRD Pro in cement gets delivered next month.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Im really glad i got the frontier pro 4x.

Just wish there was better aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#48]
The bright side to this story,  OP's Pony Car is fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true, they still fit on a Dealership's service lift! They just don't need to nearly as often for things other than regular service. Lol! Friend of mine had similar issues with his 2017 Tacoma. He luckily had it lemoned out by Yota.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought they were made in Texas?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top