Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2016 11:51:44 AM EDT
In the last year, it seems like I have seen more and more people do this. They treat a red stop light as a stop sign. They come to a stop, and then after 30 seconds or so, they decide they have waited long enough and if its clear....they just drive right through the red light.  I'm assuming this is illegal. Most of the time its a soccer mom, or some guy that looks like he's in a hurry.

Anyone seen this happening a bunch in their area??
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I do it all the time at intersections with no other traffic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to Miami.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Common practice in the ghetto.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In the ghetto you don't even stop.  Red lights are yield signs at best.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are places where you don't want to stop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I do it on the bike all the time, it's legal for bikes in most places because some of them don't have enough steel to set off the road sensor loop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
what do you expect?

after all, it ain't against the law if you don't get caught.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, especially on the motorcycle.  

I'm actively trying to *not* obey all the laws just because they are laws.  2am on a Monday morning, nobody within 2 zipcodes of me. . .why should I wait for a timed stoplight to give me permission to go through the intersection?  

[Disclaimer]  Yup, I'm breaking the law and may get punished for it. . .and I'm perfectly willing to accept that risk.  [/Disclaimer]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I forget where, but some state (?) just made this a legal thing, as in up to the driver's discretion or something...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
On ramp by my house doesn't cycle at times early am on my way to work, if the roads are empty which they usually are. I stop, wait and say fuck it and proceed.

Day time, no chance I'd do it.

Seen it happen plenty lately though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
People are more impatient and absent minded as ever on the roads these days.

I hate the ones that pull over and stop in a turning lane, then decide they don't want to wait and pull back out and go straight.  If you happen to be turning left when they do that, it can result in a close call.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I forget where, but some state (?) just made this a legal thing, as in up to the driver's discretion or something...

A.W.D.
View Quote
Pennsylvania

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the problem with this?  I'm surprised it's 30 seconds and not 3, but if the coast is clear why shouldn't it be okay to proceed?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I never waited at red lights when driving to and from work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
LoL there's one particular intersection in town that I see this often.  Oh, it also happens to be the intersection I see really bad wrecks on a weekly basis too.  My ass puckers ever time I go through it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I do it when lights don't cycle mine green after I've watched the other direction get cycled through at least twice. If nothing is coming I'm proceeding through the light.
This seems to happen frequently at night at certain intersections.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't stop in the ghettos here.  It's insane.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]

What could go wrong???
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Pennsylvania  

Yep, I was just going to go look this up to be sure, but I thought it was PA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I do it on the bike all the time, it's legal for bikes in most places because some of them don't have enough steel to set off the road sensor loop.
View Quote

Yes, I ride and I will run a light if I have sat there too long because I know the bike didnt trip the sensor....its legal todo that.

But a car pulling up to a light, and they running it a few seconds later is BS.....especially when there is a lot of traffic around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're in a bad area its the smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The ghetto thing is a little different, it's the best way to avoid getting carjacked and such. I see more red light antics in the non ghetto areas. The one that gets me are the left turners that will try and beat the oncoming traffic to turn left as the light changes to green.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
After waiting 30 seconds? No traffic? Fuck yeah, I'm going. Shit poor traffic management. Why is that light even there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Pennsylvania  

It is PA. But the driver has to have reason to believe the light is malfunctioning. Not just they dont wanna wait.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, I ride and I will run a light if I have sat there too long because I know the bike didnt trip the sensor....its legal todo that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virginia made it the law that you can run a red on an MC if it has skipped a light cycle.  But I find I can still get the optical sensor controlled lights to switch by sometimes flicking my hi-beam or just moving around a little, rolling back and forth and side to side causing movement.  Then voila, the opposing lane lights turn sweet amber as she gets ready to turn green.

For lights that are controlled by the magnetic strips in the pavement, the rolling back and forth trick can also work; however, you can also momentarily kill the engine and then start it back up to trip the magnetic sensor.  I guess the starter motor creates a big magnetic field flux when it is energized, this the strips in the pavement will detect.  An older Harley rider pulled up beside me one day years ago and told me about the starter trick.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I do it all the time if the intersection is empty, especially when going into work overnight or early in the morning.

Not all stop lights are needed, in my opinion, and many of them are timed so as to serve as traffic control rather than permitting efficient flow of traffic. They would be better as a stop sign or even a yield.

As well, I'm an adult and I don't need my life directed by a light bulb in all situations.

FWIW, I've never received a ticket or been in an accident.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#27]
No, but my friend once did it while we were driving and I flipped on him. There wasn't anyone coming, but I have nothing but hatred for people who can't obey simple road laws.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#28]
@4 am on my way to work, I take a road closed to thru traffic. On my way home I go the long way
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Especially at 4 way intersections in rush hour traffic AFTER missing a yellow
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]
The problem is with poor traffic management.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ghetto thing is a little different, it's the best way to avoid getting carjacked and such. I see more red light antics in the non ghetto areas. The one that gets me are the left turners that will try and beat the oncoming traffic to turn left as the light changes to green.
View Quote

If the person turning left is in the intersection when the light turns red they have the right of way over the people going straight who's light just turned green.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No, but my friend once did it while we were driving and I flipped on him. There wasn't anyone coming, but I have nothing but hatred for people who can't obey simple road laws.
View Quote

Speed limits, turn signals, right of way (including bicycles and pedestrians)?  All that hate's gonna burn you up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This , we shouldn't have to wait at a light that stops us for ONE CAR to go if there is no one coming.

Stop signs and yield signs seem to work most of the time for this.

I do stop at them though because it just feels wrong running them (indoctrination).

But every time I am wondering why the fuck I am doing it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#34]
No cop, no stop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#35]
coulodnt embed sorry
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I never really understood how we let some random light dictate whether its safe to cross the street/go.  When its busy I understand, but 70% of the traffic lights should be turned off after 6:00pm

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Good way to do it, if the coast is clear there is zero point in sitting there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#38]
pretty sure here the term is, "reasonable and prudent".
I live pretty far out of town and if the light doesnt change after a couple minutes and there are no cars coming I treat it as a stop sign.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
coulodnt embed sorry
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#41]
no cop, no stop
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#42]
don't you feel like a jackass sitting at a red light at 5 in the morning where the road is empty in all four directions as far as your eye can see?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But a car pulling up to a light, and they running it a few seconds later is BS.....especially when there is a lot of traffic around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to Google that because that's all types of.......but you're right. It is legal in some states. Still a whole lot of but it's legal.

If you run a red light in NJ with a car or a bike you're dead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Du is that way.  <------

Just kidding but you'll probably register/ turn in your guns and board the train when it's the law too right? Right?

It's a stretch but made up stupid laws shouldn't be followed. I know when it is safe to cross an intersection I do it at most other ones without incident.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I had to Google that because that's all types of.......but you're right. It is legal in some states. Still a whole lot of but it's legal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, strict penal code you got there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still have to stop.  Then check.  Then go.  It's simply treating a red light like a stop sign under some conditions.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#47]
What really grinds my gears is when you have the green light but you're trying to turn left, and the left turn arrow is still red.  Fuck that turn arrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Welcome to Miami.
View Quote

Bouncing in the club where the heat is on?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
coulodnt embed sorry

https://j.gifs.com/LgYwrv.gif

how did that middle van not see that coming?

I really hate people who come flying up to a light sign and then grenade the breaks as they come up to it.
They know they have to stop but try to get every millisecond out of their speed
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Pittsburgh left"

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top