Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 12:46:00 PM EDT
With the 04 elections right around the corner, I'm sure many of us are receiving donation letters from the Republican National Committee, asking us for our hard-earned money in order to stave off the Democrat onslaught.

This is all fine & good, except for one thing...  with Pres. Bush's stance on the AW ban, and without any real assurances from Republican lawmakers that the ban will be allowed to wither away & die, I'm not really in the giving mood!

Thus, when I received a letter in today's mail from the RNC's Treasurer Mike Retzer, I decided to enclose a friendly little note, rather than the check that I usually stuff into the postage paid envelope that they send...

Dear Mr. Retzer,

I am enclosing this note to inform you that I will not be donating anymore money to President Bush’s, or any other Republican’s election fund until America’s gun owners receive a public assurance that the so called "Assault Weapons" ban will be allowed to expire without renewal or replacement come September of 2004.

The Republican Party currently controls the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives, in large part, due to the support and efforts of the gun owning public. Any reauthorization of the blatantly unconstitutional "Assault Weapons" ban by Republican lawmakers will be viewed as a betrayal of our God given rights, and as a selling out of the Republican Party’s ideals and core constituency.

As a life long Republican and former financial contributor to the RNC, I sincerely hope that President Bush reconsiders his support of a renewed "Assault Weapons" ban. I also ask that all Republican lawmakers be put on notice that how they handle this matter will greatly effect the future voting and donating habits of many Americans who have, heretofore, considered themselves loyal Republicans.

Yours truly,

Call it blackmail if you will, but I prefer to see it as the exercise of what little leverage I possess as a gun owner & Second Amendment activist.

Please, feel free to use this letter. If all that politicians understand is money & power, maybe we need to threaten them with the denial of both!!!  

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not blackmail, it's called politics.

They are supposed to represent the constituents, if you are a constituent you have a voice. If you feel your voice is not being heard, money is the way to make it be heard.

Good letter, fine choice. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Well done, my wise friend.

Turn off the taps until we get what we want. Period.

Take that, politicians.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
not blackmail $ is the only thing politicians care about so hit them were it hurts.

but didn't the senate majority leader say it won't pass.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That's similar to what I did except I wrote out a big fat check to the RNC, voided it, made a photocopy and included the photocopy with my letter.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That was a great idea!  Hopefully if enough people were to do this they would forward the responses to the appropiate persons!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one too. I was planning on making a small payment and including a letter implying that I would be more interested in making larger payments later if they (among other things) keep the AW ban away.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Been doing this also.

Had someone call from the RNC to renew, and I asked Pres. Bush's position on the Brady Bill or AW Bill.  Person never heard of the "rady Bill"  Told her I would like to know the Presidents position, and to please call back.

Still waiting for that call...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
FOOLS

every dollar you don't give to the republicans is like a dollar given to the democrats

er ...

uh ...

yeah!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Brilliant idea fellas! Can't wait to get my request for donation.

I'll be sure to also advise them that despite my 'lobbying' attempts here in NY - our Republican Gov. turned his back on us.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Even if you are not on the RNC's mailing list, you can still get our message across to the powers that be, by writing to RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie.

Here is the letter I sent him not too long ago...

Mr. Ed Gillespie
Republican National Committee
310 First St SE
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Chairman Gillespie,

As a registered voter, life long Republican, and financial contributor to the RNC, I want to express my utter dismay at President Bush's support for the reauthorization of the so called "assault weapons" ban, and I want to urge you, in your capacity as party Chairman, to do everything within your power to ensure that the Republican Party supports the right of individuals to keep & bear arms.  

I could argue that the "assault weapons" ban is clearly an unconstitutional infringement to anyone who has even a basic understanding of our nations founding documents, and the political & philosophical sentiments that went into their creation...but I won't.

I might point out that in every major federal, state, & privately commissioned crime study that has ever been conducted, "assault weapons" play a statistically insignificant role in violent crime...but I won't.

I'm not going to remind you that when the current law sunsets, Pres. Bush would like to see it replaced with a newly crafted & enacted law, thus breaking his campaign promise that he would not seek the passage of any new gun control legislation.  

No... what I am going to point out to you Mr. Gillespie, is that continued support for a renewed "assault weapons" ban could cost Pres. Bush reelection in 2004. Please understand that he will never win over anti-gun voters, regardless of his position on this matter, but that he does run the serious risk alienating the pro-gun voters who helped him win the Presidency in 2000.  

For the sake of perspective, I will point out that the "assault Weapons" ban was originally passed in a Democrat-controlled Congress by a very slim margin and by a slightly larger margin in the Senate.  The result... In the 1994 national elections, three months after passage, the Democrats lost nine seats in the Senate and 54 seats in the House. There is no denying that gun control, specifically the "Assault Weapons" ban" was a very large part of why the Democrats lost the House for the first time in 50 years. Former President Bill Clinton once even estimated that voting for the ban cost 20+ Democrat Representatives their seats.

President Bush is a good & decent man, Mr. Gillespie, and I sincerely want to continue my support for him, but I know that I speak for many gun owning & non-gun owning Americans alike, when I say that how he handles this issue will deeply influence our actions in the voting booth come November of next year.  

Hence, I once again ask you to urge Pres. Bush, and every other Republican candidate & representative to turn their backs on the Clinton era "assault weapons" ban, & to advocate and embrace personal freedom. Their oaths to the Constitution, their obligation to their core voters, and their adherence to campaign promises hang in the balance.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

As always, feel free to borrow liberally from the text & message in order to compose your own letter.

We are in a rare position here folks... WE ACTUALLY HAVE A SECOND CHANCE TO DEFEAT THE AW BAN!!!

CARPE DIEM

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I just want to make one point here...

I'm not so naive as to think that Pres. Bush is going to be pressured into publicly reversing himself concerning the AW ban.

The point of this exercise is to levy pressure on the Republican Party, & let them know that we are paying attention, and that we are as serious as a heart attack!

The message must get through loud & clear that we will no longer tolerate the infringement of that which "...shall not be infringed."

Either the Republicans begin to respect our Constitutionally protected right to bear arms suitable for militia use, or we deny them campaign funds & we vote them out of office!

Plain & simple.

BTW... Thanks Paul!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I for one will NOT vote for Pres. Bush unless he changes his stance on the AWB.  If it is renewed or strengthend I will not vote Repub for the rest of my life.
And yes I have written letters and emails.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
NYPatriot, that's a great plan and it can be implemented by everyone on the board regardless of which state you live in. Definetly worthy of a BTT my brother. I'll be sure to do the same when I get mine. The letter will be sent without any money to kindly let them know that they will have to come out strong against a renewal/replacement of the AWB before they get any of my cash for the upcoming elections. I look at it this way, if my own party can't bury this ridiculous law with a house/senate majority and the Pres, then I have no use for them to be in office as they are not representing my wishes. Basically they would be no different than the Dems if they don't let this law sunset peacefully and permanently. Lately it's become the vote for the lesser of the two evils and it shouldn't be like that. We should be able to have absolute faith in our party to do the right thing on certain issues accross the board. I'm going to put this in my letter too, along with a few <snips> from yours.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well I for one will NOT vote for Pres. Bush unless he changes his stance on the AWB.  If it is renewed or strengthend I will not vote Repub for the rest of my life.
And yes I have written letters and emails.

The KEY here is to not let the bill reach his desk. He can have a stance but that wont matter if he has nothing to sign. PG   ps Rest assured HE WILL SIGN IT IF IT GETS THERE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Folks...you might also want to send a letter off to Pres. Bush's top political advisor Karl Rove...

The Office of Mr. Karl Rove
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500

Just use the letter to the RNC Chairman, and change all the references to " Ed Gillespie" into "Karl Rove" & "Party Chairman" into "President Bush's top political advisor."

Easy as pie!!!  

Every news account I have read about Rove states that he has the confidence & trust of GWB to a degree that no other presidential advisor has possessed in modern American history.

In other words, when Rove voices an opinion, GWB really listens!

If we get Rove's attention, we get the President's as well!!!

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Great idea, I just got an "invitation" in the mail to help re-elect a local Republican.  I'm going to RSVP with a version of the letter.  Let them know from the lowest volunteer to the President himself not how we feel, but how we will act.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you know… this little idea actually worked!

I just received a response to one of the three "donation letters" that I have sent back to the RNC over the past few weeks.

It reads, in part…

…The Republican Party defends the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms. We also support effective measures, including an instant, computerized records check, to keep firearms out of the hands of convicted felons. Finally, most Republicans favor mandatory sentences for the use of a gun in a crime. It is astonishing that the very sane liberals who wage war on law-abiding gun owners also oppose mandatory minimum sentences on gun-using criminals. They have their priorities exactly backwards…

Now I realize that the RNC didn’t even address the "assault weapon" issue, and that they support the Brady law & mandatory sentencing (which I think is a mistake, regardless of the issue involved), but they did not just throw away my enclosed letter (because it did not include a donation), and move on to the next envelope!!!

My letter was read by a real live human being, my opinion was noted, and it was passed on to the powers that be, who deemed it worthy of a written response (albeit a pre formatted, vague, & evasive one).

Point is… this tactic works!!! It gets the attention of the RNC, and puts them on notice that they can’t take the support of America’s gun owners for granted in the next elections unless they stand firm on the RKBA!

If you were hesitant to send a "donation letter" because you thought that it would be ignored & thrown into the trash by some RNC staff worker, think again, and just do it!!!    
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I forgot to ask... anyone else receive a response yet???
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
And dont give them an empty threat  that you'll "vote for the dems", they wont buy that. Just say you will refuse to vote at all. They will realise, if they're smart that no vote essentially = a vote for the dems.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I recieved my first solicitation from the RNC several weeks ago. I responded with a letter explaining that I felt that the GOP has not earned my allegiance and until they address the repeal of AWB and move quickly to secure our borders, to not expect a contribution from me. This past Tuesday, I recieved another RNC solicitation letter with a postage paid envelope in it. I sent a clone of my original letter back to them again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
A word to the wise... Marc Racicot is no longer the Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

The new Chairman of the RNC is...

Ed Gillespie
Republican National Committee
310 First St SE
Washington, DC 20003

Also... the RNC'S fax # is (202)863-8820
Link Posted: 1/15/2004 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a helpful hint. Enclose a one dollar bill (preferably) or a check for $1.00 and indicate that this is the last dollar they will get unless they get their stuff together. Seriously, the way election laws work, if you send the $1, they have to process it... and becuase it is an unusual amount or cash, it will require special handleing which means it is a big pain in the ass to deal with, especially if 1,000s of people do this. I learned this the hard way.. I care not to elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2004 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's similar to what I did except I wrote out a big fat check to the RNC, voided it, made a photocopy and included the photocopy with my letter.
View Quote

YES!  Now THAT is the way to go about doing this!

WONDERFUL IDEA, BIGSAPPER!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/16/2004 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got one too. I was planning on making a small payment and including a letter implying that I would be more interested in making larger payments later if they (among other things) keep the AW ban away.
View Quote

A nice idea, but you're still helping them pay for the postage and for letters sent to good folks like Bigsnapper.

No cash until they do something for US-- the folks that got them to where they are now!  [:)]

Mike
Link Posted: 1/16/2004 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's not blackmail, it's called politics.
View Quote

Wasn't it Clausewitz who said that politics is just war by other means? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/16/2004 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Between that and the Medicare BS, CFR, and Illegal Immigration, I don't know I I can maintain a professional demeanor to ANY letter I send to the RNC right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump because the topic is still relevant & because I don't want this thread to slip into the "archive abyss"!

Link Posted: 2/10/2004 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top