Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 8/27/2016 4:59:29 PM EDT
Guy I know went to some kind of festival/party in Indiana with some friends. They took his vehicle because he has an SUV but another guy agreed to be DD. My friend couldn't find the other guys so he climbed in the cargo area, remote started it and went to sleep. He sleeps in the back regularly when hunting so he thought no big deal. About 5 am a cop wakes him up beating on the glass. Friend explains that he wasn't driving and that the vehicle hadn't moved in 12 hours but the cop gives him a breathalyzer anyway. He blows a .086 and the cop takes him to jail.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea don't blow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a dick move

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
that one has to be challenged then demand city pay fees
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If the car was not on he would have been fine probably. However, I would take this one to court a good lawyer could help probably
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup. He is in control of the vehicle, asleep or not. Had a coworker go through the same thing.

Fucked up law, ain't it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lawyer, obviously
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the car was not on he would have been fine probably. However, I would take this one to court a good lawyer could help probably
View Quote

If he has access to the keys, he is in control of the car. His best bet would have been to hand over the keys to someone else, then sleep it off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Why did he start the suv ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Keys in ignition in a lot of places will fuck you. If he didnt have keys accessible he would have been ok.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lawyer, obviously
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I said.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty common around here.  He was technically 'operating' the vehicle by starting it/possessing the keys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My friend was in socal and parked on the beach for a fire/party.  He put his keys in a ziploc bag and buried them in the sand under his jeep and still got a DUI for sleeping in passenger seat.  

DUI for keys in ignition doesn't surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why did he start the suv ?
View Quote

Drunk and hot as balls?

I'd want AC, too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keys in ignition in a lot of places will fuck you. If he didnt have keys accessible he would have been ok.
View Quote

No key in the ignition as it doesn't even have one. He remote started it to have the air on since it was hot and humid. In remote mode the car will not go into gear until you sit in the driver seat and manually press the start button.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If he has access to the keys, he is in control of the car. His best bet would have been to hand over the keys to someone else, then sleep it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't try to justify stupid laws.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Remote start, no keys in the ignition, steering column locked, but yeah its all about safety...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
A blue strip of tape would have prevented that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
With a good attny he can probably get out of it.  The D in DUI stands for "driving."
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't blow.

And he'll beat the charge.

Wasn't "in control" of vehicle. Most states have either laws or case law that says you must be in drivers seat or in direct control.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
A few years ago I needed to "sleep it off" in a similar situation. Got in the passenger seat of my truck and remote started it, fell asleep.

Cop knocks on my window a couple hours later, asks what I'm doing. Tell him I'm sleeping it off and I'll Uber home once I feel better.

He tells me to be safe and plan ahead better next time.

No sobriety test / DUI.

The next day I looked up the law, and he almost definitely could have hit me with a DUI. Guess I got lucky.

Sorry about your friend, sounds like he was trying to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Alaska is famous for this too in the winter. Fuck cops for expecting you to take a cab or some shit when you are safely in your back seat staying warm.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
.086 after sleeping 12 hours..

Impressed he found his own vehicle to sleep in..

Eta- shit, kind of read that wrong..
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With a good attny he can probably get out of it.  The D in DUI stands for "driving."
View Quote

If he didn't blow,  ya I'd agree.   But he blew and he's probably boned.   In OH it changed to OVI (to indicate merely operating. )
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always heard (not saying this is correct) As long as the car is not on all is well and you cannot get charged for dui (car wont drive if it's not on). I guess it, like anything, depends on the officer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's a dick move

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A few years ago I needed to "sleep it off" in a similar situation. Got in the passenger seat of my truck and remote started it, fell asleep.

Cop knocks on my window a couple hours later, asks what I'm doing. Tell him I'm sleeping it off and I'll Uber home once I feel better.

No sobriety test / DUI.

The next day I looked up the law, and he almost definitely could have hit me with a DUI. Guess I got lucky.

View Quote

Yeah, he's a straight up dude. Decorated SF vet and never been in trouble his entire life. Wouldn't even consider driving after a couple beers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
.086 after sleeping 12 hours..

Impressed he found his own vehicle to sleep in..

Eta- shit, kind of read that wrong..
View Quote

He was only asleep for 1.5 hours. Car had been there 12 hours.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll one up you.

I know two guys who went to WV for a fishing trip.

Needed some more beer, and other supplies.

Vehicle Owner: I'm good, but I'm probably over the legal limit. Are you good?
Second Guy: Yep, I'm good.

They go into the nearest town, guy gets pulled over during a town speed limit change.

Breathalyzer.

Second guy? DUI. 0.085
Vehicle owner? Arrested for "permitting a DUI". He goes to jail too.

law

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Protected and served.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#32]
That would be a good one to fight as it challenges the parts of the law that make the statute.

Around here. if the keys are in ignition and it is running, and they are in the driver's seat, it's a good arrest.

But several years ago there was something that changed either departmentally or legally where asleep with just the keys in the ignition was no longer a good arrest for DUI.  

Based off our laws and the fact he was not in the seat, no key in the ignition, and obviously not driving, it would be a good one to fight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Where was he parked?

Not trying to justify it (I think it's a bullshit charge/arrest no matter where he was parked).   Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you. Just let people sleep in their cars. It keeps them from driving and isn't that the ultimate goal?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remote start.  Keys not in ignition. Car shuts off if you touch the brake without the keys in.

Buddy needs to lawyer the fuck up and find better friends.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where was he parked?

Not trying to justify it (I think it's a bullshit charge/arrest no matter where he was parked).   Just curious.
View Quote

A small gravel parking area behind a fence about 40 yards off the highway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm surprised people still haven't heard about this and continue to get busted for it.

I've never had to, but would putting my keys under the hood count as not being in possession of the keys?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pretty common around here.  He was technically 'operating' the vehicle by starting it/possessing the keys.
View Quote

Meh I don't know how you can operate a machine from a passenger or cargo area. No idea how that holds up in court. He was basically using it purely for climate control.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No sobriety test / DUI.

View Quote

Sounds like you ran into a cop who wasn't a dick. Maybe that's just lucky but probably not.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where was he parked?

So possibly on private property?   Does Indiana's DUI statute even apply to private property?   Texas' doesn't, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Should have taken a car and slept in the trunk instead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been a cop for 10 years and made 100's of OVI arrests.

While probably okay by the letter of the law, that arrest is total horeshit IMO.
View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Why did he start it?  How does remote start run more than 10 minutes?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lawyer, obviously
View Quote

And $25,000 later he'll have it squared away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sure the law varies state to state, in Missouri he would have been screwed no matter what if he had the keys in his possession.

Oh, and for all of the "refuse to blow" comments... That's an automatic one year revocation  AND conviction.
View Quote

Doesn't conviction imply a trial or plea of guilty?  

"Automatic conviction" seems like an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I told him the dealer might be able to pull history on the vehicle to show it had not been moved of started during the time in question. His SUV is very similar to mine and everything is computerized.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have always heard (not saying this is correct) As long as the car is not on all is well and you cannot get charged for dui (car wont drive if it's not on). I guess it, like anything, depends on the officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the car wasn't running and the keys were out of the ignition, he couldn't be charged. Even if not running, IF the keys are in the ignition, you are screwed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Years ago, a friend of mine got a DUI doing something similar, He had purchased a new car, and was absolutely enamored with it.   His wife drove him home after a party, and he did a drunk move, he didn't want to go inside, he wanted to stay in his car, and listen to the radio.

...that was a mistake.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top