Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/28/2016 9:26:25 PM EDT
My daughter was watching a video on youtube in which this family does all kinds of shit we can't afford, and they were vacationing in Hawaii.  While they were at one of the stereotypical touristy "luaus", watching some stereotypical "hula" dancing, I wondered, do those locals clock out at the end of the day with disdain for how their cultural things have been turned into a "tourist itinerary stop"?  It made me think, are there any regional "food combinations" or orders that they see tourists massively screw up?

What have you seen that's exclusive to your "region" done completely wrong by someone from a different area?  Here it's things like ordering sweet tea not knowing it's going to be a big glass of iced sweet tea, or putting sugar on grits, drinking from the glass of water they bring you with beignets, etc.  I'm guilty of putting chinese entrees on fried rice instead of plain steamed white rice.  I don't put cinnamon in chili or any of that yankee stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Chicago "pizza"
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hawaiians hate haoles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
We're not mad at you its just how we talk.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Wearing bikini's to town like this is some kind of fucking resort. Cover up yourselves, whores. Otherwise I don't pay enough attention to care.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My daughter was watching a video on youtube in which this family does all kinds of shit we can't afford, and they were vacationing in Hawaii.  While they were at one of the stereotypical touristy "luaus", watching some stereotypical "hula" dancing, I wondered, do those locals clock out at the end of the day with disdain for how their cultural things have been turned into a "tourist itinerary stop"?  It made me think, are there any regional "food combinations" or orders that they see tourists massively screw up?

What have you seen that's exclusive to your "region" done completely wrong by someone from a different area?  Here it's things like ordering sweet tea not knowing it's going to be a big glass of iced sweet tea, or putting sugar on grits, drinking from the glass of water they bring you with beignets, etc.  I'm guilty of putting chinese entrees on fried rice instead of plain steamed white rice.  I don't put cinnamon in chili or any of that yankee stuff.
View Quote
? Explain

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wearing bikini's to town like this is some kind of fucking resort. Cover up yourselves, whores. Otherwise I don't pay enough attention to care.
View Quote

In Arkansas?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The words Burgundy, Caliope and Decatur.

BES I am sure has more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Florida.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This may be the first anti-bikini-in-public sentiment I have ever heard of.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Not drinking enough water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

He may have seen land whales in bikinis and can't get the image out of his head...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sugar on grits?  I did that as a kid.  Only way I would eat them... And I was as Deep South as you could get.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Gerald Ford came to my home town and tried to eat a tamale
with the shuck on in 1976.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
When you are served tortillas with a meal, typically you put butter on it and eat it like we eat bread with our meal.
Not stick everything in it and make a taco

Though I do it, because I like it, but I know it's not the "legit" way to do it
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
LoL
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Fajitas

They're a cut of beef, not a taco.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In Arkansas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Arkansas?

Lake town unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2401024/images/n-MULLAH-MOHAMMED-OMAR-628x314.jpg

Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Getting a cheese steak sans wit wiz.

You get it wit wiz or you go the fuck home.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
? Explain  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

? Explain  

X2 not seeing why I need half a glass of water to eat some fritters with sugar on them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"
View Quote

Tourists didn't screw that up, Chicago did.

East coast style (NY/NJ) pizza or nothing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

X2 not seeing why I need half a glass of water to eat some fritters with sugar on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

? Explain  

This is now a safe thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Getting a cheese steak sans wit wiz.

You get it wit wiz or you go the fuck home.  
View Quote

Cheez wiz sucks, yellow oil that tastes like piss, that's right I said it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

When you are served tortillas with a meal, typically you put butter on it and eat it like we eat bread with our meal. Not stick everything in it and make a taco

View Quote

Well, I'm 5th generation Texan, and I've done the taco thing with tortillas my whole life.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2401024/images/n-MULLAH-MOHAMMED-OMAR-628x314.jpg

That was the first thing I thought of when I read that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He may have seen land whales in bikinis and can't get the image out of his head...
View Quote

Life is full of trade offs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in Ohio. Other than Cincy's fucked up "chili" there ain't a whole  lot of "regional" to our food.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"

You guys ever been to Italy before?

It's funny when someone from a pizza state goes to Italy and orders real pizza for the first time. Go to any touristy place and you'll hear Americans bitching about the pizza being made incorrectly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's funny when someone from a pizza state goes to Italy and orders real pizza for the first time. Go to any touristy place and you'll hear Americans bitching about the pizza being made incorrectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"

The pizza was perfected in the NE corner of the United States, by people that left Italy.  It's one of the few things that region does right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
The Irish lads in cork piss on the Blarney Stone at night...then tourists kiss it all day long.......
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that's the kind of shitshow I'm looking to read about.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"

Tomatoes are from the Americas so we still win. They use our fruit wrong.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
People from outside of Idaho trying to say "Boise".
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lake town unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Arkansas?

Lake town unfortunately.

...Hamilton or Ouachita?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People from outside of Idaho trying to say "Boise".
View Quote

That's easy, it's pronounced po-ta-to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

? Explain  

The glass of water is for cleaning all the powdered sugar off your fingers and dipping a napkin in water to clean your face.  Not for drinking.

Another running joke here (MS Gulf Coast) is that you can always tell who the tourists are because they're the ones that actually get in the water on the beach.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]
ordering ranch with chicken wings
when there was still a hooters here them cooking wings with breading on
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
"Texas Style" anything. Anywhere. Even in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Skiing
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Hawaiian culture was erased decades ago. The show they put on for tourists was lifted from other Pacific Islands, since Hawaiians were successfully domesticated and pacified,and had zero reference points for re-adoption of their traditions and customs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#44]
In BR, avocados are typically eaten with suger, not salt like high blood pressure Hispanics prefer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well, I'm 5th generation Texan, and I've done the taco thing with tortillas my whole life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you are served tortillas with a meal, typically you put butter on it and eat it like we eat bread with our meal. Not stick everything in it and make a taco

It's either make tacos or tear it in pieces and use it like an edible scoop.

That butter thing is a snack or possibly dessert with coffee.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a group of tourists come and sit next to me in a brewery in Denver.  

Tourist 1 - Do you have cider?  I can't seem to find cider at any of the breweries.

Tourist 2 -  Do you have something that tastes like Budweiser?

Babarsac -

Tourists not drinking enough water........elevation yo.

Tourists trying to many edibles and ending up in the hospital.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#47]
FIBs come up here and try to drink like the locals.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chicago "pizza"

When I was in Italy, I was too busy complaining about no ice in the water.  Ice, dammit!  I'm in Italy in July and I want ice in my water!  I thought this place was civilized, so why is there no ice anywhere?  SENZA GASSE, you barbarians!  Why is all the water carbonated?  Dammit.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#49]
How to eat crawfish.

How to boil crawfish.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it isn't.   Look at what you can and can't post here.  

I think the most aggravating example of what OP is talking about that I've run into is people who have no respect for the risk of wildfires.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top