Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/24/2016 1:34:38 PM EDT
First off, i will state that i am pro choice, and not religious.

I went on a recent road trip to Atlanta.  Along the way up 75, i saw a shit load of pro life advertisements.  Now these have been up for as long as i remember.

What got me thinking is,  we as human beings, a lot of us view abortion as a sin/crime against god.  All life is precious, and no matter what, you should give birth to the child.

What about in nature ? Any other living creature on this earth will gladly kill the young for a myriad of reasons. human touch, unfamiliar scent, to make sure only the alpha males genetics are passed on, to thin out the weak, and so on.

So, what about all of these creatures on this planet, that were born without the cognitive powerful thought process to believe in a "higher power" ?

Does nature get a pass on these "crimes" when man will have to bare the punishments of such "sins" ?

If so, in religious eyes, is ignorance  bliss ?

If a group of people, born in a a remote region, and not exposed to any type of religion, if they resort to "natural instincts" are these people held accountable for their actions, that in our "religious" eyes are considered sins, as we the community would view them ?

Or do they like all other creatures in nature, get a "free pass" ?

I am slightly inebriated, so this might not have come out exactly as planned....   But you should get the general jist...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
All dogs go the heaven. I believe you will be held accountable for the knowledge you were given and the choices you made based on that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pro-life.

In on 1, and IBTL since these always turn into a shitshow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I went on a recent road trip to Atlanta.  Along the way up 75, i saw a shit load of pro life advertisements.  Now these have been up for as long as i remember.

What got me thinking is,  we as human beings, a lot of us view abortion as a sin/crime against god.  All life is precious, and no matter what, you should give birth to the child.

What about in nature ? Any other living creature on this earth will gladly kill the young for a myriad of reasons. human touch, unfamiliar scent, to make sure only the alpha males genetics are passed on, to thin out the weak, and so on.

So, what about all of these creatures on this planet, that were born without the cognitive powerful thought process to believe in a "higher power" ?

Does nature get a pass on these "crimes" when man will have to bare the punishments of such "sins" ?

If a group of people, born in a a remote region, and not exposed to any type of religion, if they resort to "natural instincts" are these people held accountable for their actions, that in our "religious" eyes are considered sins, as we the community would view them ?

I am slightly inebriated, so this might not have come out exactly as planned....   But you should get the general jist...
View Quote

Do you feel any inherent desire to be morally better than animals?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pro-life.

View Quote

I'm pro-choice DITTO!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Abortion for the convenience of the mother is plain murder.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Some religious people hold that humans are distinct from the rest of the natural world, and hold humans to standards of conduct that they regard as morally superior.

I view pro-life views as complex expressions of the natural instinct to protect young members of one's own species.

When a male lion (or other cat, they pretty much all do it) kills the offspring of another male that has been ousted, the biological basis for that behavior is obvious.  In humans, the desire to be the exclusive male donor of genes either never existed or has been successfully suppressed.

If we were like other animals in that regard we wouldn't care at all about women aborting fetuses other than those that we sired.  For some reason we have empathy for others - and that may be because it has survival value in our species.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pro-life.

View Quote

I'm pro-choice DITTO!
View Quote

I'm somewhere in the middle like most people, and I also say DITTO.  IBTL.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Golden Eagles lay two eggs, several days apart.  Typically, only one leaves the nest.

The older chick dominates the younger one for food, and in many cases, kills and eats its clutch mate.

Nature is a cruel bitch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I like turtles
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some religious people hold that humans are distinct from the rest of the natural world, and hold humans to standards of conduct that they regard as morally superior.

I view pro-life views as complex expressions of the natural instinct to protect young members of one's own species.

When a male lion (or other cat, they pretty much all do it) kills the offspring of another male that has been ousted, the biological basis for that behavior is obvious.  In humans, the desire to be the exclusive male donor of genes either never existed or has been successfully suppressed.

If we were like other animals in that regard we wouldn't care at all about women aborting fetuses other than those that we sired.  For some reason we have empathy for others - and that may be because it has survival value in our species.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pro-life.

I'm pro-choice DITTO!

Humm, that may be me? I wouldn't abort my own but but would not tell someone else what they can/cannot do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All dogs go the heaven. I believe you will be held accountable for the knowledge you were given and the choices you made based on that.
View Quote

They hate that word. I drank too much and regret who I had sex with, I was raped. I agreed to work for less than somebody else, I was discriminated against. I take a bunch of loans to get a degree in basket weaving, my debt should be forgiven.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Golden Eagles lay two eggs, several days apart.  Typically, only one leaves the nest.

The older chick dominates the younger one for food, and in many cases, kills and eats its clutch mate.

Nature is a cruel bitch.
View Quote

My dog eats shit. Lol appeal to nature...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
So OP, you are an adherent to "moral relativism"?  For example, you know like it's cool for hardcore Muslims to do hardcore Muslim stuff?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nature is a cruel bitch.

Coprophagia is typically practiced as a form of nutrient supplementation.

Not only is nature a cruel bitch, she can be disgusting at times.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Any other living creature on this earth will gladly kill the young for a myriad of reasons."

Nope, not true. Many will defend their young to the death.

Killing of young or old is not a "natural instinct." Even in combat it is a learned behaviour.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

that is my stance

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I clicked on this thread and then clicked Reply before reading any of it just to say "IBTL".
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

that is my stance

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is my stance

+1
In my opinion it's the worst evil humans commit, and I'm not religious.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Any other living creature on this earth will gladly kill the young for a myriad of reasons."

Killing of young or old is not a "natural instinct." Even in combat it is a learned behaviour.  
View Quote

Actually, it is true except for the myriad of reasons part.  They do it for the same reason humans do it - resource scarcity, real or perceived.

Here, read this, this, and this.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's flip that question around:  in the wild; in nature, it is perfectly acceptable for one animal to kill its young after they are born.   By "acceptable" I mean there are not courts of law and there is no judicial punishment for that action in the animal kingdom.  

So that's a practice that happens in the wild.   Why should we limit ourselves to abortion?   Why not allow the indiscriminate (or discriminate, the reasons you mentioned) killing of children who have been born?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Why shouldn't we legalize ambulatory abortion?  I mean....every child should be a planned and wanted child right? There are many parents who don't care for their children. So, parents should be able to take their children down to an abortion doctor and have them aborted. We do it because we want every child to be planned AND wanted. If a parent decides they don't want their kids, just have them aborted. After all, it's only compassionate right???
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually, it is true except for the myriad of reasons part.  They do it for the same reason humans do it - resource scarcity, real or perceived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The availability of resources, real or imagined, is not the only reason humans kill their young and with very, very few exceptions (i.e. war, prolonged siege, etc), humans generally do not eat their young once they have killed them.

Having said that, while some may use the availability of resources as an argument for the practice, they are either being disingenuous or intellectually lazy.   There is no argument for an abortion due to resource scarcity in the Western world for the human race.  It doesn't exist.   Show me a child to be born of a woman who doesn't have the resources to care for that child and I will show you a person, a group, or an organization with the resources willing to take that child.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#23]
An interesting legal dichotomy I've dealt with.... Pregnant woman is pro-choice (stickers on car, etc.). Pregnant woman gets assaulted during a robbery and the child she is carrying is killed. Formerly pregnant woman then wanted  robbery suspect charged with murder for "killing her baby".
Suspect  was so charged. How is that situation justified? BTW she was 4 mos along.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Different situations dealing with abortion. It's better to say that I support half of the American population having abortions to keep the tards from reproducing as fast as they currently are, but the child (Fetus) which has rather above average parents should be saved for the sake of better genetics.

God bless eugenics
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe abortion is wrong and would hate to be present with one who did this on judgement day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The availability of resources, real or imagined, is not the only reason humans kill their young and with very, very few exceptions (i.e. war, prolonged siege, etc), humans generally do not eat their young once they have killed them.

Having said that, while some may use the availability of resources as an argument for the practice, they are either being disingenuous or intellectually lazy.   There is no argument for an abortion due to resource scarcity in the Western world for the human race.  It doesn't exist.   Show me a child to be born of a woman who doesn't have the resources to care for that child and I will show you a person, a group, or an organization with the resources willing to take that child.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not attacking or defending abortion as it is currently practiced.  I was merely addressing the mistaken notion that animals never kill their own offspring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why shouldn't we legalize ambulatory abortion?  I mean....every child should be a planned and wanted child right? There are many parents who don't care for their children. So, parents should be able to take their children down to an abortion doctor and have them aborted. We do it because we want every child to be planned AND wanted. If a parent decides they don't want their kids, just have them aborted. After all, it's only compassionate right???
View Quote

I think 18 should be the cut off age for that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't consider myself to be particularly religious but view abortion on demand (abortion as a form of birth control) as something that cheapens our society.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Abortion is pretty simple. Abortion as a form of birth control is murder. Abortion where a mother's health is at immediate and life threatening risk is between the mother, her doctors, and god. I can't imagine having to choose between my wife and my child, so I'll judge no family who has to suffer through that. Pregnancies from legitimate sexual assault fall under the same umbrella in my book.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad my mom didn't kill me
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
OP........good job comparing humans to animals!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was not attacking or defending abortion as it is currently practiced.  I was merely addressing the mistaken notion that animals never kill their own offspring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was primarily addressing this part of your quote:

...They do it for the same reason humans do it - resource scarcity, real or perceived. ...

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no evidence of any higher power.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
This always goes smoothly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

....and if you are going to make it legal why stop at birth? We should raise the age to 5.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Humans have the ability to set moral standards in society.

Even if something is primal, and ultimately better for the species, we can view it as morally wrong.

The rabbit just ate all the babies in the cage, just rabbits doing what they do.

The crackhead down the street just got an abortion...murder.

It's a tricky subject, but those that choose one side of it hard and fast aren't really using their reasoning very well I think.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Abortion is pretty simple. Abortion as a form of birth control is murder. Abortion where a mother's health is at immediate and life threatening risk is between the mother, her doctors, and god. I can't imagine having to choose between my wife and my child, so I'll judge no family who has to suffer through that. Pregnancies from legitimate sexual assault fall under the same umbrella in my book.
View Quote

I don't think it's simple at all.

From a moral stand point, I have this feeling that all babies are a fresh start. From a practical stand point, chances are the white trash in the trailer running a meth lab in the back shed aren't going to raise the most productive members of society, so we really aren't at a loss by them terminating that pregnancy.

Humans have been doing abortions since society began (and probably before), it isn't anything new.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#39]
GD hates freedom.  This is understood.

1. Hates woman's right to choose
2. Likes DWI roadblocks
3. Hates people smokin' the weed
4. Hates peoples choice to suck their buddy's baloney pony

I could go on
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

2. Likes DWI roadblocks

I could go on
View Quote

2.  I do not support DWI roadblocks and believe LEO should be required to have a warrant, PC, RAS, or EC before they detain a person on this issue.  
3.  I do not care what you put inside your own body.  
4.  I do not care who you choose to love or spend your life with.

Seeing a pattern here?

1.  I believe a woman has a right to her own body.   This does not include the life of the other human body/bodies that may be growing with in her body.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#41]
My ex-wife left me, aborted my child, and sent me the bill.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who has an abortion can go to hell
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My ex-wife left me, aborted my child, and sent me the bill.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who has an abortion can go to hell
View Quote

If a woman decides to keep the "child" she can legally oblige you support that child for a large chunk of your life without you having any say in the matter.
If a woman decides to "abort" the "child" lump of cells fetus, she as a "right" to do so without you having any say in the matter.

Well, that makes sense.    
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

that is my stance

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is my stance

Mine as well, and has nothing to do with religion for me, as I'm not religious.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
So, OP, you emulate animals?  How do you enjoy the taste of your own shit.  Abortion is murder and those who practice and support it are murderers by association.  That means you, OP.  And these threads are great for populating my ignore list.  Starting with you.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

2. Likes DWI roadblocks

I could go on
View Quote
Your lack of critical thinking skills is startling and astounding.  

5. Fails to understand the difference between a woman's body and the child's body growing within.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#46]
ibtl
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...They do it for the same reason humans do it - resource scarcity, real or perceived. ...

You failed to make a salient point.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm pro choice.  I'm also female.
I've never been pregnant and never had an abortion.
I have however, set foot inside of a clinic.  Once you've been inside one, most people assume you're guilty of something.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I posted this before.

There are thousands of people lining up for adoption and will pay for everything that the expectant mother needs.

If you chose to abort that's your decisions, but don't lie to me and say it's the only one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You failed to make a salient point.
View Quote

Really?

I thought making the point that humans kill their children for reasons other animals do not (to the best of our knowledge) was important given the fact the assertion was made that animals "do it for the same reason humans do it."

I also thought the fact that humans in the Western world do not, in fact, kill their children for the same resource issues you cited, was somewhat important.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top