Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/20/2016 1:38:42 PM EDT

Some of this footage is quite early in the war. They are using underfolder RPK's which were pretty uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
is that the war where we saved the muslims from the evil christians?

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.

I did time in Kosovo from October 2001 to June 2002. Protecting moderate Muslims from those evil Christians.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something like that...then we saved the Orthodox Christians from the Catholics.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Which side/faction was that footage shot from?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did you post that?  I was just getting over my desire for a M70B1.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It appears the Serbs are familiar with the purpose of rifle stocks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's hard for me to tell exactly who's pictured in this footage.

However, the mechanized column driving through the village? - those are Serbs.

Notice the kids with 3 fingers up?  That hand gesture is an Eastern Orthodox gesture.  I

It's meant to represent to Holy trinity.  Only Serbs use it though.  Almost all Croats are Roman Catholic.  "Bosnians" are a mix of orthodox Serbs, catholic Croats, and moslims.

It is possible that all of this footage was shot by Serbs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Serbs
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a pretty good amount of Bosnian friends/acquaintances and they've talked about the war (most were 6-10 years old or so) and all the shit they were put through. Really puts a lot in perspective.

Also, Bosnian-style Islam is about as close as it gets to being tolerable. They all drink, most eat pork, they keep beheadings to a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have always wondered why the U.S. involved ourselves in this conflict.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a pretty good amount of Bosnian friends/acquaintances and they've talked about the war (most were 6-10 years old or so) and all the shit they were put through. Really puts a lot in perspective.

Also, Bosnian-style Islam is about as close as it gets to being tolerable. They all drink, most eat pork, they keep beheadings to a minimum.
View Quote

and treat women like cattle.

and, as you noted, thats as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So Bill Clinton could get re-elected.

He needed a war so he shit one where he could be a big hero.

No other fucking reason.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No other fucking reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No other fucking reason.
Well knowing as little as I do about it, that is kind of what I always thought.  

I was grown and already married, but not nearly as politically aware as I am now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Croats wore red bandanas/markings.

There were some shots (pun) in the beginning of Sarajevo to which the Serbs laid siege; looked like what would have been Serb forces firing into Sarajevo.

That war was quite a hodgepodge of regular, irregular, paramilitary, rogue, mercenary, et al forces and quite possible the most fucked up place I've ever been...at least they did the most fucked up things to each other of any place I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bosnian women: Some smoking hot, some look like mutants, all are hairy/fuzzy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Serbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Serbs
Some Bosnian as well.

Generally the Serbs stick out like a sore thumb in the footage. Typical Yugo Camo etc etc
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should be Serbs since they had lots of armor
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Supposedly what Bubba read in Balkan Ghosts is why Clinton decided to intervene.  

It's funny, because when I read that book my first thought was, "why would anyone want to get involved in that mess?"
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was a crime.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's hard for me to tell exactly who's pictured in this footage.

However, the mechanized column driving through the village? - those are Serbs.

Notice the kids with 3 fingers up?  That hand gesture is an Eastern Orthodox gesture.  I

It's meant to represent to Holy trinity.  Only Serbs use it though.  Almost all Croats are Roman Catholic.  "Bosnians" are a mix of orthodox Serbs, catholic Croats, and moslims.

It is possible that all of this footage was shot by Serbs.
View Quote

I didn't watch the vid in it's entirety and missed that but you are correct:  the 3-fingered "Serb salute."
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#21]
TUPAC IS ALIVE IN SERBIA
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It was a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a crime.
Eh....

Basically after Tito died all the republics wanted independence. Slovenia got away with it as well as Macedonia. Where the fun started was Croatia and later Bosnia. Croatia and Bosnia are very much a mixture of ethnicity and Slobodan and the Serb nationalists wanted to keep Yugoslavia together and and part of it which Serbs inhabited. The Serbians living in these countries didn't want independence it was their country too. Croatia has a bad past with the Ustache(Nazi allies) as well as the Bosnians did have SS volunteers from that part of the region. Croatia declaring independence plus embracing the checkerboard was the equivilent of waving the Nazi flag in the faces of the Serbs.

The Croatians bought guns from Romania and Hungary to form their own army and the JNA did not want this....They tried various tactics to disarm the Croats but no dice. The war began a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Eh....  

Basically after Tito died all the republics wanted independence. Slovenia got away with it as well as Macedonia. Where the fun started was Croatia and later Bosnia. Croatia and Bosnia are very much a mixture of ethnicity and Slobodan and the Serb nationalists wanted to keep Yugoslavia together and and part of it which Serbs inhabited. The Serbians living in these countries didn't want independence it was their country too. Croatia has a bad past with the Ustache(Nazi allies) as well as the Bosnians did have SS volunteers from that part of the region. Croatia declaring independence plus embracing the checkerboard was the equivilent of waving the Nazi flag in the faces of the Serbs.

The Croatians bought guns from Romania and Hungary to form their own army and the JNA did not want this....They tried various tactics to disarm the Croats but no dice. The war began a few weeks later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a crime.
Eh....  

I know all about the conflict, I was referring to our involvement in support of the Bosnians, and worse, our later actions against Serbia regarding those gangsters in Kosovo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/y6JGvry-o5M

Some of this footage is quite early in the war. They are using underfolder RPK's which were pretty uncommon.  
View Quote

Embed into link
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
They all did screwed up shit to eachother. However, I think serbs did more. Screbrenica was bad. All are guilty to one degree or another though.

I had a hot exchange student friend in high school who was a bosnian serb. Should have heard her talk.....We were close friends, but she had been borderline brainwashed by her serb people. Absolutely refused to believe in any serb war crimes. Thought bisnians were almost not human, croats only slightly better. Also argued that serbs had anright to bosnia going back to june 28 1389. When the turks defeated the serbs at the battle of kosovo.

Fun to talk to though. Even more fun to look at.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Bosnia, ISIS, Mexico, you always see a bunch of worried looking guys loading one of their two mags with loose rounds in the middle of a firefight.  Let that be a lesson.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I was with first US Combat Troops to be placed under UN Command......by Bill Clinton....Matter of fact we still have troops there, what's our exit plan?

FYROM UNPROFOR July 93-Jan 94, spent time on border, did motorized and foot patrol along the Albanian and Hungarian border for smuggler routes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Say what you will about the Serbs, they sure did know how to ethnically cleanse

I honestly do not know a lot about this particular conflict or which side is "right"
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They all did screwed up shit to eachother. However, I think serbs did more. Screbrenica was bad. All are guilty to one degree or another though.

I had a hot exchange student friend in high school who was a bosnian serb. Should have heard her talk.....We were close friends, but she had been borderline brainwashed by her serb people. Absolutely refused to believe in any serb war crimes. Thought bisnians were almost not human, croats only slightly better. Also argued that serbs had anright to bosnia going back to june 28 1389. When the turks defeated the serbs at the battle of kosovo.

Fun to talk to though. Even more fun to look at.
View Quote

Are you saying she was wrong?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I found some more combat footage. Talk about a hot infil. Why can't I embed? I've only been here 12 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BfNqhV5hg4

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Correct.

I did time in Kosovo from October 2001 to June 2002. Protecting moderate Muslims from those evil Christians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Bond steel or montieth?  I was at montieth same time frame
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Eh....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a crime.
Eh....  

One thing I find ironic is that this whole breakdown was the culmination of Serbia's effort to break apart that region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire so that they could have dominance over the Slavs in that part of the world.  They succeeded and created Yugoslavia, and suffered a breakup due in part to nationalist ideology which is what drove the original Serbian efforts against the A-H Empire.

Looking at the A-H Empire's maps detailing regions by language, ethnicity more broadly, and religion is interesting.  I doubt they still exist today, but there used to be majority-German regions in what became Yugoslavia.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Serbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serbs

Met a Serb a few years back.

He was in his early teens when the war broke out

He fought in the war and has interesting things to say.

From my research and from what he has told me we backed the wrong side.

Guy and his family went through some bad stuff. He and his little sis are the only ones that he knows are alive.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From my research and from what he has told me he backed the wrong side.

Guy and his family went through some bad stuff. He and his little sis are the only ones that he knows are alive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serbs

From my research and from what he has told me he backed the wrong side.

The Serbian government has been nothing but composed of scumbags since the last dynasty murdered the king and royal family and took power.  They've instigated nasty shit both within their country and without and to this day are scumbags.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, when was this? I thought US/NATO helped Croats wipe out/evict all Serbs in Croatia.

Or you mean later, when NATO-supported Catholics started killing NATO-supported Muslims, and all libtards were like "WTF we thought they were both cute and fluffy"?

Or some other occasion? I don't mean to be sarcastic, I really don't know that clusterfuck all that well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]
T34-85's and some SVT40's among other re-purposed things. Neat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They all did screwed up shit to each other. However, I think serbs did more. Screbrenica was bad. All are guilty to one degree or another though.
View Quote

Likely true, but it wasn't because Serbs were "more evil" - they were simply better armed and better fighters. Muslims would gladly genocide them (heck, they resorted to terrorism after all), but it's hard to commit genocide when you can't take over Serb-populated areas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Nothing like auto support from right behind your head/body...at 5:25 in
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, mandatory links for Serbia threads:

Serbian "Friends" Video - some1 plz embed

===

Hey Obama, What About Serbia's "Territorial Integrity"? -
opposing view on who's right in Yugo civil war. Why can Albanians split their areas from Serbia, but Serbs can't split their areas from Croatia?

So let us recount the western position:

It claimed to uphold the sovereignty and territorial integrity of other countries and the inviolability of borders in Europe
However, this did not extend to the sovereignty and the territorial integrity of Federal Yugoslavia which could be trampled at will
Nonetheless, albeit the territorial integrity of Federal Yugoslavia itself wasn't worth anything, the territorial integrity of its constituent republics seeking independence was holy
Albeit the territorial integrity of the Yugoslav constituent republics of Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina was holy, the territorial integrity of Serbia was not
Albeit Slovenes, Croats and Bosnian Muslims could leave Yugoslavia, Serbs could not leave Croatia and Bosnia
Albeit Serbs could not leave Croatia and Bosnia, Kosovo Albanians could secede from Serbia
Albeit Kosovo Albanians could secede from Serbia, Kosovo Serbs could not secede from Albanian-run Kosovo
<snip unrelated point>

May the world be spared hunger, plague and western principles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I love studying this period of conflict; as it is, in my opinion, the precursor here in the states.

Too many differences, religions, culture, etc...

Except we'll be worse. In multiple areas of angst.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#42]
There is a great documentary in English (British probably) that goes through the politics of the whole war from the death of Tito through Dayton.  Must be 5-6 episodes on YouTube.  Made right after Dayton when people were still talking about it.

Don't remember the name
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Should be required reading for anyone interested in the subject:
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I am very much curious what Melanija Knavs' opinions are of the Yugoslavian wars of the 1990s
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
The strangest thing to me about that time was almost every single service member I met who had been over there said we supported the wrong side.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#46]

We've seen to much of war.

This is our island now. May it be this way forever.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Is this the war that put Hillary's life in danger?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]

I was told by a guy who was there that they would shoot down an alley/street with a tank round....and the baddies would get sucked out into the street from the force.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Americans were probably on the wrong side in this.

The serbs, and many Chrsitian groups over there had a legitimate axe to grind against the Muslims.

A series of despotic leaders and the soviets kept them in check. The ottomans did a lot of nasty things in Eastern europe.

The dissolution of the soviets let them finally get even and solve the moslem problem once and for all. However, Clinton needed a boost pre election and nothings screams patriotism like a good old war for the Childrens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is this the war that put Hillary's life in danger?  
View Quote

Yep!  She was skittering across the runway, dodging cannon and tank rounds to save the po' muslims from the Serb death-camps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top